Network pics thread

LOL You know sadly that has been my exact thought every time I see some of these setups on here. I just run 3 laptops and my media server and my bill is almost $300 every month. I couldnt even imagine some of these peoples bills.

Yes, but what else do you use in your house? Things like electric heaters, dryers, etc. use more power than a lot of these racks probably. It's all about where it breaks down.

LOL You know sadly that has been my exact thought every time I see some of these setups on here. I just run 3 laptops and my media server and my bill is almost $300 every month. I couldnt even imagine some of these peoples bills.

it's still cheaper than most hobbies. I can't thik of anyhtign else I do thats as cheap as staying at home and messing around with my lab equipment.

it's still cheaper than most hobbies. I can't thik of anyhtign else I do thats as cheap as staying at home and messing around with my lab equipment.

Very well put. Except for buying it in the first place. That's my hurdle :p

This is what I'm screwing around with at work ATM. Not much done to it yet, I plan on messing with the router and VLANs and such. Trying to learn some basic Cisco and HP stuff while I'm here. Top switch connects my PC to the network (1 & 2), the rest of it is unplugged.

Very well put. Except for buying it in the first place. That's my hurdle :p

I tend to buy and sell quite a bit. I've bought and sold at least $10-$15k (probably more) of computer gear in the last few years. I'll buy three or four servers, switches, routers, or whatever, sell all but one or two, and just be sure to make my money back, end up with gear for a net cost of $0.

I only wish I could show you guys pics of the network I just finished implementing for my employer. It entailed no fewer than 64 top end switching chassis (Juniper EX and MX series), a metric shit ton of Cisco ONS 15454 chassis (doing 80 channels of DWDM /w ROADM), and many hundreds of miles of singlemode and multimode fiber patch cables.

For what we were trying to do with our network, the Cisco Nexus series wasn't powerful enough. We needed to bring in service provider quality gear. We save the Nexus 7018s for basic 10g aggregation in our datacenters.

If it's for security reasons I understand why you wouldn't want to share pix. However if the only thing limiting you from sharing with is lack of a digital camera go beg & borrow from a friend ;)

If it's for security reasons I understand why you wouldn't want to share pix. However if the only thing limiting you from sharing with is lack of a digital camera go beg & borrow from a friend ;)

If I posted pics and the management found out, it would pretty much guarantee my early dismissal. All I have from my 3 month stint in Northern Virginia, implementing all this stuff, are the stories of 100+ hour work weeks and some downright unbelievable paychecks. Oh, and a few legendary bar tabs that my structured cabling contractor was so gracious to pick up for us.

This is what I'm screwing around with at work ATM. Not much done to it yet, I plan on messing with the router and VLANs and such. Trying to learn some basic Cisco and HP stuff while I'm here. Top switch connects my PC to the network (1 & 2), the rest of it is unplugged.

*pic edited out for reply*

We use IBM WorkCentre machines similar to those here at work. compared to the standard Dells of similar spec that our clients provide the IBM's have KILLER I/O performance. Good machines, those.

I only wish I could show you guys pics of the network I just finished implementing for my employer. It entailed no fewer than 64 top end switching chassis (Juniper EX and MX series), a metric shit ton of Cisco ONS 15454 chassis (doing 80 channels of DWDM /w ROADM), and many hundreds of miles of singlemode and multimode fiber patch cables.

For what we were trying to do with our network, the Cisco Nexus series wasn't powerful enough. We needed to bring in service provider quality gear. We save the Nexus 7018s for basic 10g aggregation in our datacenters.

You should take a look at the Arista 7508. It's not very feature rich, but for basic datacenter agg, it beats the shit out of the Nexus7K. The M1 line cards are awful. 80Gb connection to the fabric? what a joke. Plus the fabric only does 230Gb/slot today. Arista has non-blocking 48 port 10gig cards, 650Gb/slot fabric (will scale to 40/100Gb ports nicely). Plus they have M-LAG (their version of vPC).

Cisco really needs to release an "E" version of the chassis and/or just better fabric modules. The port density is anemic compared to its competitors. Even their newest linecards, the F1, had a bunch of stability issues and it only has 32 ports, but can only use 23 at a time (due to 230Gb/slot fabric). Unlike the M1 cards, there is NO option to do "mode dedicated" so it's all a crap shoot on what gets through during a microburst.

I hear you with the early dismissal. I used to work for a huge conglomerate with a datacenter for a lab filled with 6500s, Nexuii, EMC symettrix storage arrays, f5 load balancers, traffic generators.. you name it. I should post pictures now that i left, but I have integrity :)

You should take a look at the Arista 7508. It's not very feature rich, but for basic datacenter agg, it beats the shit out of the Nexus7K. The M1 line cards are awful. 80Gb connection to the fabric? what a joke. Plus the fabric only does 230Gb/slot today. Arista has non-blocking 48 port 10gig cards, 650Gb/slot fabric (will scale to 40/100Gb ports nicely). Plus they have M-LAG (their version of vPC).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ8R0U8g9e8&feature=related

The environment I work in is completely Cisco (though we're starting to move toward Juniper in some places), so I have never heard of Arista products. That switch is a beast.

Do HP, Juniper, Cisco, Arista, etc all use similar operating systems, so it doesn't create downtime in personnel having to compensate for a learning curve?

We use IBM WorkCentre machines similar to those here at work. compared to the standard Dells of similar spec that our clients provide the IBM's have KILLER I/O performance. Good machines, those.

Yea we're using Dell 780's for our desktops now, those are P4s with HT from last gen haha!

The environment I work in is completely Cisco (though we're starting to move toward Juniper in some places), so I have never heard of Arista products. That switch is a beast.

Do HP, Juniper, Cisco, Arista, etc all use similar operating systems, so it doesn't create downtime in personnel having to compensate for a learning curve?

:eek: That's a very nice switch. How much do those go for?

upload.jpg

Last edited:

If you were blindfolded, Arista vs Cisco (config wise) is pretty much the same.
sh ip int bri
sh ip route
sh ip mroute
conf t
swi access vlan xyz
swi mode access
etc etc

HP is similar, but still different enough.

Juniper is completely different. Honestly, though, their CLI is the most powerful and logical of any. I have no regrets using it now on a daily basis.

As far as Arista goes, they're a startup shop (their CEO came from Cisco from the top of the 6500/Nexus space) and they've recruited a bunch of top Cisco gurus. They're not very big so their level of support is what deters them from really taking it to Cisco. And they're the new kid on the block so it will take time for them to become better known. I've seen a bunch of Arista boxes in datacenters lately though.

The switch is no 6500 in terms of feature comparison, but again, for datacenter agg, they've got a potent box. I got to test 2 7508s before I left my previous employer.. they run about 300K a pop, which isn't too much relatively speaking.

The devices on the 10.1.1.x subnet get NAT'd twice to reach the internet, right (once to traverse your 192.168.1.x subnet and then again to reach the internet)?

Do you have any troubles with the double-NAT?

Got my trendnet switch in today that I ordered black friday on newegg for $20. So far so good fits on the shelf perfect and all my media is streaming flawlessly. Fingers crossed it stays that way :D
PB290406.jpg

Last edited:
The devices on the 10.1.1.x subnet get NAT'd twice to reach the internet, right (once to traverse your 192.168.1.x subnet and then again to reach the internet)?

Do you have any troubles with the double-NAT?

yo. that is correct. double nat. No issues for me. I had a linksys router/wifi acess point instead of the cisco asa 5505, but i finally switched them out a few weeks ago. In fact the linksys access point in the photo is what i was using. It's a little bit easier to set up with the linksys than the cisco asa..but it wasn't too hard. I also have an access list that allows VNC traffic to come in and reach my workstation...

I would pull out the verizon action tec and put my asa in the front, but apparently Verizon fios uses moca to stream content to the other boxes in my house, so that router needs to be at the top. I live in a house with 5 other people, covering 4 floors, so we have TV's all over the place...

whats up with that box? I thought those were outdoor access points...or am i thinking of a different cisco AP that has the same 6 antennas? Come to think of it, i believe the outdoor AP that i'm thinking of looked different..it was like grey colored to it.

How much was that AP? Last i looked it was over 1 1/2 g's. Client wanted to buy one then said yeah no and went with the 1200 series instead :)

Harrison, what happens when you need more wire, do you have slack in the wall? or was it easy to run in the house?

How much was that AP? Last i looked it was over 1 1/2 g's. Client wanted to buy one then said yeah no and went with the 1200 series instead :)

Harrison, what happens when you need more wire, do you have slack in the wall? or was it easy to run in the house?

It was real easy in my house to run everything. We are in the middle of remodeling the basement so before we sheetrocked the walls or ceiling I wanted to run at least one cat5e to every room of the house. I did leave 6 ft of extra cable for each line behind the wall in case I need to pull any more later. Currently while I still have access behind the router wall I am going to add 2 more lines. One for the kitchen (not sure why) and another for the basement. I put rj45 wall plates in each room so if I need more wire in the rooms themselves I can just plug up longer wires. I also had an electrician friend of mine come over and run me a new power line for everything and put it on it's own breaker.
Here are a couple of pics b4 the new router and switch of the wiring and my mess of tools during installation and the breaker.
P1010102.jpg

2.jpg

PB300421.jpg

1.jpg

I'm very happy with the end result. Can now FF full 1080P rips with DTS 120X without any hiccups on both ps3's at the same time as well as both wd lives. Just ordered a UPS for the router and switch. The modem has a battery backup built in. Next addition will be a home made nas in a LIAN LI Black PC-C34F case to serve up and transcode video throughout the house and will go on a shelf below the router but I will save that build for another part of the forums. The netgear's media serving features are limited to say the least. There is only one pc attached with cat5e in my house LOL all this was purely for media streaming oh and my network printer. All my main pc's are wireless N. Always a work in progress :)

well, ive been slacking for the past 3 months since I moved back to the NY metro area but I finally got around to stacking and cabling everything up the way I want it last night. Here is some updated pics of the rack in my new house. About 90% complete, still need to clean up the cables to the 4k

nb-rack02.jpg

nb-rack01.jpg

still have all the other racks, just not with me in this house.

top down:
cisco 850 for OOL business
ESX box - 30 VMs give or take
avocent DSR behind vent plate
fileserver, nfs,iscsi.. ~10TB
apc pdu, managed, the model is escaping me right now
belkin pdu, non managed
ASA 5520
Cisco(topspin) infiniband switch. No cables yet, got the HCAs though...
c3550
c3560
c3750
c3560
3725 - NM-IDS, vic2-4fxo. running CUBE
C4007, sup 4, gig?

Last edited:
harrison, nice work but just wondering why you drilled individual holes through the wall instead of just cutting a hole for a low voltage bracket?

xphil3, nice work as always!

Back