Network pics thread

Thought I'd post mine..
<snip>
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5202108303_6b34120466.jpg

Switch I got for $5, managed to snap a pic right as it overloaded... (backing up 3 computers for the first time to the FreeNAS server)
Not sure... Cant test right now because its still under full load from the backups. It seems to be going fast though

EDIT: ehh anywhere between .5-1MB/s... not the best, but works

You really need to replace that hub with a proper switch if you'd like to see things speed up and stop crashing.

EjGriffin, Wonderful 1900 damn a pretty penny much...lol, running CME?

agrikk, Hadoop eh? Have you found it beneficial for anything intense?

but BrandonG a BNC connector 10bt hub? damn man, retro for the sake that it works? Would love to know how much time it takes to back up all of those to FreeNAS, when it completes. you would have been better off using the rest of that cisco for it lol

Oh yea.. that is a hub... Guess I never bothered to read it -_-

I have a dell switch, but it doesn't work. I dont have any money to get a new one.

Dead

Last edited:
agrikk, Hadoop eh? Have you found it beneficial for anything intense?

It's a pilot program to see if it will be beneficial. Our problem is that we have some huge tables and queries against them either do not return or require so much pre-processing and batching as to make daily queries impossible (if a daily query takes 27 hours to complete what do you do?).

Our hope is that Map Reduce and it's ability to handle Big Data will solve our problems with raw horsepower distributed over commoditized servers.

We'll see. I just got the first Hadoop node running today.

Nope... main router is full, switch connects my WAPs.. I guess I could try to substitute another router in for the WAPS, but Its a pain to schedule downtime for the irc server D:

IRC takes almost no bw at all. Websites load quickly. (faster than a godaddy hosting account... which is sad) No problem here.

Hell, I'll give you an SMC 16port switch for the price of shipping... Collecting dust here.

Still a work in progress but here goes so far............
P1010263.jpg

homenetwork.jpg

before the new router..............
4.jpg

During the wiring............
1.jpg

Nope... main router is full, switch connects my WAPs.. I guess I could try to substitute another router in for the WAPS, but Its a pain to schedule downtime for the irc server D:
dude...buy the $20 gigabit on newegg for black friday, seriously it will be so much better

dude...buy the $20 gigabit on newegg for black friday, seriously it will be so much better

Any way you could link to that $20 gigabit on newegg? I just went through the 12 pages of sales that newegg sent to my e-mail today and didnt see it.

Any way you could link to that $20 gigabit on newegg? I just went through the 12 pages of sales that newegg sent to my e-mail today and didnt see it.
I just ordered one. HERE it is.
I was going to get another D-Link 5 port but this one is cheaper and has good reviews.

I just ordered one. HERE it is.
I was going to get another D-Link 5 port but this one is cheaper and has good reviews.

WOW that was fast thanks! I just added it to my cart but before I checkout could anyone look at my setup on the previous page and tell me if I add this to my netgear router will it basically give me 5 extra wired ports to run throughout the house? I really only need 2 more and I only use my network mainly for streaming large HD movie files. Anyway will this work or do I need one with jumbo whatever?

Sorry for the newb questions. Just catching up I guess. thanks

I dont have much money, so I'm kinda leaning towards this...
How much would shipping be to 83854 ZorPrime?

That one with shipping is $15. For $5 more you can get the one listed HERE.
It is GB with jumbo frames and has free shipping. Also rated 5/5 after 120 reviews.

Oh yea.. that is a hub... Guess I never bothered to read it -_-

I have a dell switch, but it doesn't work. I dont have any money to get a new one.

Dead

I got one of those that did the same damn thing!

so many questions X_X

Right now mine and A blog. Used to host one for a school club but they decided $10 a year was too much for a domain >_> Yeah home. Got the fastest bandwidth we can here, 10d/1u

I just bought a house back in April. This is my very first house and boy did it need a lot of work. The carpet was torn, wall had holes, and the coax cable used when they first built the house was cheap. What was the first thing I did you ask? Well I ran network wire duh!

set-72157625150564749

I put this in every room of the house including the garage and living room.

set-72157625150564749

More updates soon...now all walls are fixed/painted, new floors, and new toilets installed.

Here is another view of the mini rack :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40800344@N08/5129915228/in/set-72157625150564749/

Ugh I hate those media panels...I put a nice piece of plywood on the wall and have everything mounted where it can be worked on and not jammed inside a cabinet.

Ugh I hate those media panels...I put a nice piece of plywood on the wall and have everything mounted where it can be worked on and not jammed inside a cabinet.

i hate those also. i admit i have one that i installed in my house about 5 yrs ago to have everything centralized. but if i knew then what i know now i would have done like Jeff did. install a punch down board and have everything laid out where it can be worked on.

CB

I am going to have the switch/patch panel in it and thats it. Everything else will be mounted on the wall.

The security camera power supply is going to be fun to mount.

so many questions X_X

Right now mine and A blog. Used to host one for a school club but they decided $10 a year was too much for a domain >_> Yeah home. Got the fastest bandwidth we can here, 10d/1u

How much is your Electricity bill?

I have a XenServer (Q6600)
12 Port GB RackMount Switch
Atom Based pfSense Router
WHS (with WoL)
KVM
DLink G WAP

and I use about £1 ($1.6) a day!

Fair enough the XenServer has a full domain (DC 2008 EE, XenApp6 on 2008 EE, BranchRepeater, Centos 5.5 for Nagios / Mail Server and OpenFiler for Citrix Library) but I am thinking of colocating as it may be cheaper in the long run!

Last edited:
How much is your Electricity bill?

LOL You know sadly that has been my exact thought every time I see some of these setups on here. I just run 3 laptops and my media server and my bill is almost $300 every month. I couldnt even imagine some of these peoples bills.

Back