Network pics thread

That's a nice system, Adam. I can only imagine the work and thought that went into it. I wouldn't even know where to start in order to get it off the ground (besides research, lol).

How many people do you have at the lans?

the highest number was around 170, it was nice, but not much space left for more people since I think it's good to leave some ports open for "emergencies" like broken ports or something and each 100mbit switch has 4 ports trunked for uplink which makes them basically 22 port switches, and the passport/accelar gets populated by the team on the 10/100 copper and all the uplinks (4 gbit-fibre, 4 100mbit-fibre and 12 100mbit copper). the dl 380 gets another gbit-uplink, one gbit-port left for other stuff, one copper port goes to the cisco router (mostly the 2621), and some other left over copper ports are for guest servers.

Well nothing exciting at all here, but here is the pics of the proxim mounted. So far it works well, but the true test will be over the weekend.

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0125.jpg

Cool stuff, my first inclination would have been to put it on the roof, but you're probably avoiding foliage obstructions by putting it lower.

Distance, freq, data rates?

Well nothing exciting at all here, but here is the pics of the proxim mounted. So far it works well, but the true test will be over the weekend.

pics!

What kind of speed do those give? Link?

Yeah im curious about the speeds as well and price points. I use Ubiquiti products, and those cap out about 54Mbps which isnt bad if your not doing much traffic... but i do a lot with IP cameras, and most recently learned that i can't put 10 2+MP ip cameras aiming at one antenna, each ip camera does about 8mbps itself so that killed us.

They are cheaper units though about $60-$80 each.

They are rated for wireless n speeds. I have them set to 104 right now and they seem to work great. I would highly recommend these, but just be aware they come at a price.

EDIT:

I kind of posted up replies in a hurry here so I'll slow down. As you can see in the first picture that is the other AP across the street. I'm taking the picture from about where the door is open in the 3rd picture. If that gives you a rough idea of how far it is away. Guessing I would have to say less than 300 feet. I need to put NetIQ agents on and get going, but at the point I've got a time line and I'm running against it. This trip was mostly meant for getting the networks integrated between the 2 buildings, get the voip setup, and get the users off from the old domain and on to the new domain. Busy Busy Busy...

Last edited:
Yeah im curious about the speeds as well and price points. I use Ubiquiti products, and those cap out about 54Mbps which isnt bad if your not doing much traffic... but i do a lot with IP cameras, and most recently learned that i can't put 10 2+MP ip cameras aiming at one antenna, each ip camera does about 8mbps itself so that killed us.

They are cheaper units though about $60-$80 each.

UBNT has products that'll do 150+ throughput.

Err yeah thats what i meant, 150Mbps throughput... but in the real world i was capping out about 55Mbps for some reason, using their 5GHz products. Not entirely sure why, i was told by my sales guy that in the real world 150Mbps+ is about 55Mbps

Err yeah thats what i meant, 150Mbps throughput... but in the real world i was capping out about 55Mbps for some reason, using their 5GHz products. Not entirely sure why, i was told by my sales guy that in the real world 150Mbps+ is about 55Mbps

are you talking megabits for both? sometimes software measures in megabytes, while hardware is rated in megabits. Also 150 is under optimal ideal lab conditions. getting that in a real world scenario is unlikely.

Id be lying if i said thats the first time I saw networking equipment in a bathroom... its not.

are you talking megabits for both? sometimes software measures in megabytes, while hardware is rated in megabits. Also 150 is under optimal ideal lab conditions. getting that in a real world scenario is unlikely.

Ugh I have no idea, lol, why cant they just use one terminology..

The product says 150Mbps+ right well i used it with IP cameras and my network would get bogged down around 50-53Mbps when it showed me my traffic going across one of my access points.

I had to split my network in half and even that, around 35-40Mbps bogged it down. I ended up reducing my IP cameras quality to half so it didnt screw it up.

Okay fine crushed by switches lol

For the sake of contributing, here is my network setup which has been overclocked using electrical tape so that I can sleep at night without the Christmas tree of lights keeping me up. The MicroCell usually sits further away from the router (I've heard they cause interference if they're too close) but I have moved it temporarily because I'm re-arranging my desk.

Also, AT&T sucks.

20101121192337.jpg

My home network that host my Lowlife Division clan and for my personal internet use.

I got one server that host TF2, TS3, FTP, HTTP and a virtual machine as well.
Cisco 871 router connected to my cable modem, got 8 port gigabit pro switch from the router and one linksys WAP54 access point hanging off my netgear switch for two wireless laptops.
IMG_2605.jpg

www.lowlife-division.com

Last edited:
Velocitymaster, how does that 871 do with your connection?

Came with the house I moved into. Stay tuned for updates:
img20101121232349.jpg

Why do people buy panels like that and then do that to it... i know you didnt do it it was like that when you got the house, but still... thats like buying a nice ferrari and parking it under a tree that likes to have birds hangout there and drips sap... just stupid stupid stupid

Why do people buy panels like that and then do that to it... i know you didnt do it it was like that when you got the house, but still... thats like buying a nice ferrari and parking it under a tree that likes to have birds hangout there and drips sap... just stupid stupid stupid

I'm willing to bet some generic contractor put it in. At Home Depot we sold a surprising number of those to people who had no idea what they were doing (i.e. "Hey what's this module for?" "It's a network punchdown module." "What's that for?" "*facepalm* Why do you think you need this again?").

That, and they're overpriced shit. The 5-port 10/100 router that comes with it is close to $80 (up here in Canada). You can get a nice Gigabit/N-WiFi router for that much! Stupid Leviton :mad:

I'm willing to bet some generic contractor put it in. At Home Depot we sold a surprising number of those to people who had no idea what they were doing (i.e. "Hey what's this module for?" "It's a network punchdown module." "What's that for?" "*facepalm* Why do you think you need this again?").

That, and they're overpriced shit. The 5-port 10/100 router that comes with it is close to $80 (up here in Canada). You can get a nice Gigabit/N-WiFi router for that much! Stupid Leviton :mad:

Im willing to admit, that looks like shit, i bet the guy was about 300lbs and was told he has to press so hard drilling through drywall that it blew out the back ( the hole beside hdtv )

Wow! thats a mess, BUT can be cleaned up nicely.

Yeah man. I thought it was cool though :p No worries, I'll be fixing it up proper :)

All the phone jacks in the house actually have cat5e going to them. So all major rooms have two network drops with one per room currently wired as 2 wire RJ9. Guess no one told the installer that they can use RJ45 jacks as telephone jacks. just have to number/mark them properly so you know which to plug into.

Velocitymaster, how does that 871 do with your connection?

Runs great unlike any home router I ever seen, deal with or owned. It runs 24/7 for over 6 month at once till the power went out for over an hour and my UPS ran out of battery. Never need to restart this baby, I got cox cable with 32mb down and 6mb up. I made my own firewall just using ACL for in and out bound rules.

Soon I want to get Verzion fiber optics and planning to expand our clan by adding more game servers. Right now when doing speedtest at those speeds I just mention, I get 85-90% CPU usage. With one TF2 server and full players my router's cpu usage is around 50%. So yea I'm looking in building my own router and running pfsense, or buy the Cisco 1941 but it surely cost a lot:eek:

∞Velocitymaster∞;1036468035 said:
Runs great unlike any home router I ever seen, deal with or owned. It runs 24/7 for over 6 month at once till the power went out for over an hour and my UPS ran out of battery. Never need to restart this baby, I got cox cable with 32mb down and 6mb up. I made my own firewall just using ACL for in and out bound rules.

Soon I want to get Verzion fiber optics and planning to expand our clan by adding more game servers. Right now when doing speedtest at those speeds I just mention, I get 85-90% CPU usage. With one TF2 server and full players my router's cpu usage is around 50%. So yea I'm looking in building my own router and running pfsense, or buy the Cisco 1941 but it surely cost a lot:eek:

I've seen the 1941 ISR for anywhere from $700+ to $900 at the lowest. The problem is the software. The 15.0 IOS uses a different licensing scheme than the old models. A CCO only allows you to download the K9/base IOS.

I was thinking of getting the 892, maybe with the wireless. But seeing that nice Juniper router a few pages ago, maybe that's another option.

I've seen the 1941 ISR for anywhere from $700+ to $900 at the lowest. The problem is the software. The 15.0 IOS uses a different licensing scheme than the old models. A CCO only allows you to download the K9/base IOS.

I was thinking of getting the 892, maybe with the wireless. But seeing that nice Juniper router a few pages ago, maybe that's another option.

My 871 came with 12.2 and I update it to 12.3, not sure what you mean by CCO but as long as the 1941 standard K9 comes with the complete IOS and I can use access list, Inspect firewall and the built in IDS just like my 871.
What you think about switching to pfsense?

I've never used pfsense. This site is the first site I've seen it mentioned. The networking environment I work in doesn't use open standards/implementations. I discovered the bits and bytes thread last week, and finally became a registered user (before that in 2007, I lurked to look at some of the hardware threads).

A CCO account is linked to a smartnet account, which allows you to download IOS software. Up until 12.X IOS, you could (grey area) download any version of the IOS (enterprise, advanced ip services, ip base, etc) and upgrade your router. Cisco got wise and developed the 15.X IOS. To use certain features, you have to get a license to use it.

As far as pfsense vs. 1941, I'll have to defer to someone who has experience with both. I've used the X800 series routers (3845, 1841, 2811, etc) but haven't gotten my hands on the newer stuff. I like the increased ram, flash, GE ports, etc on the new stuff.

Sounds like it does better then I thought it would :)
PFSense would be a great distro to use for firewalling. check into smoothwall and untangle as well.
*edit* and in case you'd like to see more options for router distros:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1517454

"currently wired as 2 wire RJ9"
You mean RJ11.
Woops, yes RJ11.

Last edited:

if you're at all interested in properly speccing a router purchase based on available bandwidth here is a good cisco link for ya http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

An 870 will do around 12.8Mbps while an ISR G2 1941 will do 153.08Mbps

if you're at all interested in properly speccing a router purchase based on available bandwidth here is a good cisco link for ya http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Interesting link. What would one of these PCs turned routers do in comparison? And I think his main concern was the CPU utilization, which he said he was already beginning to show signs of saturation.

The summary is interesting, but it was also based on a rather degenerate method. Who in the world runs 100% 64byte packets? I guess if all we were doing was VoIP with highly compressed codecs, or maybe 100 users running CoD...but that's not real, it is?

If you get to the study behind this, you find most the limitation is not Mbps but pps. Extend the packet size 10-20x to reach the kind of real traffic seen on home user lans and your speed range is ~2Gbps for the 870 and 30Gbps for the 1941.

My home network which sits in the closet under the stairs (starting at the bottom):

Intel SS4200-E server (win server 2003 - 6TB storage and runs Asterisk in vmware)
Offsite usb HD backups (not offsite in the photo)
Cisco 1941 + hwic-adsl1
Cisco SBP AP541N wireless access point
Cisco Catalyst 2960G-8TC
APC UPS
Linksys SPA3201 VOIP Gateway
Toshiba laptop running windows server 2008 (mostly for fooling around and testing)
Custom HTPC (core i7, 8GB ram, 2 Intel SSD in raid0, nvidia gtx275, asus xonar hdav deluxe audio, blu-ray reader/writer)

201011230676.jpg

201011230682.jpg

wow, very nice gear for a home setup.

Seriously. Those 1900's aren't cheap.

Here's some pics of my new Hadoop cluster:

IMG_2365sm.JPG

IMG_2366sm.JPG

AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz 8-Core
16GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 ECC 1333
SUPERMICRO AS-1012G-MTF 1U Barebone Server
Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA

Ubuntu Server 10.04LTS 64-bit

For a total of:
40 cores @ 80GHz
80GB RAM
9TB of useable disk in RAID-10

Last edited:
Thought I'd post mine..

Main network,

A - Netgear WNR3500 router (wifi disabled)
B - Surfboard modem
C - Linksys WRT54G
D - Cisco Catalyst 1900 series 24port switch
Not pictured: Linksys WAP upstairs

Rack I picked up for $60

Inside rack.

A - LCD monitor
B - Dell Dimension 2400 (web and mail)
C - Seagate 2TB usb External hdd
D - WesternDigital Green 2TB hdd in Roswil usb case
E - Headless HP craptop running FreeNAS for the two externals above
F - Dell poweredge 2650 running ubuntu 9.10 (web and irc)

Bottom of the rack, these are unused:
A & B - Sun blade servers
C & E - Sun enterprise 250 servers
D - Sun ultra 3d creator
F - Sun enterprise something

And to keep this on networking, the switch in back of the rack.

Switch I got for $5, managed to snap a pic right as it overloaded... (backing up 3 computers for the first time to the FreeNAS server)

Last edited:
BrandonG, what speeds are you getting with file transfer to and from your FreeNAS box with a USB drive? I had a FreeNAS box with an external usb drive before and my performance sucked horribly. Like 7 MB/s over gigabit. I push way faster than that with my latest file server with a SATA raid card and internal SATA drives.

Not sure... Cant test right now because its still under full load from the backups. It seems to be going fast though

EDIT: ehh anywhere between .5-1MB/s... not the best, but works

Last edited:
Back