Network pics thread

Different purposes. We keeps ours standard as well. We don't do fiber but if we did orange... but heres our color scheme

Blue - Data Only
White - Phone (IP telephones, but we put these into PoE switches)
Yellow - POTS lines

Then we have the following cables
Grey 18/6 (for access control readers)
White 18/2 (for alarm wires)
Grey 18/2 (for door strike power)

White Siamese (for our cameras)

What else is in there... i think that covers it.. nothing too fancy.

Figured I would post this here as well. As promised, 40gbit:

40gbeteaming.png

P1000442.jpg

Can you write the system specification?

Not a picture, but here is a copy and paste from Open Filer after finishing up my SAN controller which I connected directly to two of my IBM enclosures. I decided to take the switch out of the equation, and just do direct attached. Simpler that way, and less reliance on equipment I can't easily replace if it breaks.

My keyboard tray keeps jamming due to the big geek boner I am currently having. The thought that I could slap in some 3TB drives in there over time makes me require an underwear change. :D

Code:
/dev/sda  	SCSI  	ATA WDC WD5000AAKS-0  	465.76 GB  	msdos  	3 (view)
/dev/sdb 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdc 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdd 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sde 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	msdos 	1 (view)
/dev/sdf 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdg 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdh 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdi 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdj 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdk 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdl 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdm 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdn 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdo 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdp 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdq 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdr 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sds 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdt 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdu 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdv 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdw 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	msdos 	0 (view)
/dev/sdx 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdy 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	gpt 	0 (view)
/dev/sdz 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	msdos 	0 (view)
/dev/sdaa 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	msdos 	0 (view)
/dev/sdab 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	msdos 	0 (view)
/dev/sdac 	SCSI 	IBM SR-1216 ROUTER 	372.60 GB 	msdos 	0 (view)

I always wondered what happens when you go past sdz, now I know.

Can you write the system specification?
It's just a system a built out of spare parts to test the cards:

i7 920, 12gb DDR3, HD5850, Gigabyte X58A-UD9, Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w, and a bunch of Intel 10GbE AT server NICs.

i7 920, 12gb DDR3, HD5850, Gigabyte X58A-UD9, Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w, and a bunch of Intel 10GbE AT server NICs.

what a bunch of junk laying around!!! send me some of your spare parts!!!

Your spare parts are more powerful than both my computer combined, that's upsetting :D

Just bought a house and started wiring it up with quad shield coax and Cat 6. Bedrooms are getting two coax and two cat6. Offices get two cat6 and the "storage room" where the servers go gets four cat6.

What I started with.. The phone and cable service from the street.
Wiring1.jpg

Cable service, next to all the AC wiring....:(
Wiring2.jpg

Not exactly an ideal installation....:p
Wiring3.jpg

Wait.... Where's that cable going....:confused:
Wiring4.jpg

Oh... I see what you did there..:mad: Yes, thats a hole poked right through the middle of the wall. Their TV was just to the right of that..
Wiring5.jpg

FYI, the previous owners had Bell Satellite. Yes, that's RG-59..:rolleyes: I found one piece of RG-6 in the whole place and it was installed by Shaw for their cable modem.
Wiring6.jpg

The phone has a "humming sound" you say?
Wiring7.jpg

It begins!! I went to Walmart and got a number of those "bicycle hanger" hooks. I'm using them to support the cable runs throughout the house. Yes, I know, the room is pink.. Not for long though!
Wiring8.jpg

Cable runs down the hallway..
Wiring9.jpg

More runs.. I've tried to keep it as far from the AC wiring as possible.
Wiring10.jpg

First drop! Also the easiest one. It helped that behind that wall is an unfinished storage room.
Wiring11.jpg

My stud finder sucks.. How do I know? Yes, that's AC line in the background and my finder is supposed to have AC detection.. Thank god I used short, shallow strokes with the saw. I don't think that will cause any issues. Wiring will be crossing at 90* anyways.
Wiring12.jpg

Run for the upstairs TV.
Wiring13.jpg

Through the floor and into the above wall.
Wiring14.jpg

Success!
Wiring15.jpg

Branching off to the downstairs TV location.. I know, the bends look tight in the picture, but they're not.
Wiring16.jpg

Back at the home run.
Wiring17.jpg

Success! This is where the main TV is going.
Wiring18.jpg

Punchdown!! Keep as much of the twists as you can.
Wiring19.jpg

During all of this the transport company calls and tells me they have stuff for me from Ikea. Great! It's not supposed to be here for another week. Yeah.. Not so great. This is the table top for my Galant desk.. Ikea says they have to put in another order and it takes 10 days..
Wiring20.jpg

Wiring21.jpg

Back to work. Punchdown at the patch panel.
Wiring22.jpg

Dressing the cables. I've got my modem/router/wifi setup there temporarily.
Wiring23.jpg

Mounting the patah panel inside a Tripp Lite 6u SmartRack enclosure. Really a neat little guy.
Wiring24.jpg

Panel mounted!! Sorry for the blurry pic.
Wiring25.jpg

Switch mounted! HP 2824.
Wiring26.jpg

Everything else!! From top-down: TrendNet Cat6 24 port patch panel, HP 2824, 2Wire 3800 VDSL2 modem, pfSense router running on a Supermicro X7SPA-HF.
Wiring28.jpg

Done!! No, the wall plate isn't crooked, I was when I took the picture..
Wiring29.jpg

Wiring30.jpg

That's it for now. Coax/Satellite runs will be getting the treatment next. I want to shoot the Bell installer. He used the absolute minimum amount of cable he could have.. Corners are pulled tight to pretty much 90* bends and he gave me about 5 feet less cable than I asked him to so I could mount the SW44 where I wanted to. I may just leave it as-is and re-do his cabling when it's not -25C outside.. :)

Thanks!!
Riley

Wow looking good! Do you find the punch down jacks are better then the tooless? I got the toolless last time I did some cable runs but I have more to do, thinking of going punch down, and getting the tool.

Wow looking good! Do you find the punch down jacks are better then the tooless? I got the toolless last time I did some cable runs but I have more to do, thinking of going punch down, and getting the tool.

As someone who used to install cabling for a living...punchdown.

Thanks guys.. I'm in Canada. Swift Current, SK to be precise.

I think punchdown is the only way to go, but yeah, you do need the tool. It's not that expensive, but it would suck if you never had to use it again. I suppose, if you were doing enough terminations the tooless ones would be more expensive and buying the tool would make sense.

I bought one of the Paladin kits that has everything I need. I think it was about ~$375. I also bought their compression crimper for coax, etc.

I just decided to move my office desk to the opposite wall so I'm putting a run there too, but I hit a setback.. The wall in question has some horizontal cross-bracing. When I head to the city next time I have to pick up a flexible drill bit from Home Depot.

I bought everything except the cable from Monoprice.

Riley

disproportionate number of people from saskatchewan in this subforum, LOL

That's a clean install. Where did you buy the cabinet? Thanks

I got it from pc-canada.com (not pccanada.com). They've been super quick and responsive. They also have the lowest prices on stuff I've seen and only charge $9.99 shipping if you setup an account with them.

drop ceilings in a house? I'm a little jealous.

I know, I did a happy dance when I saw that the first time. I think they did it because the house has hot water heat and with so many water pipes in the house it would be easy to fix should one break or leak.

Riley

How much were those bicycle hooks.... we usually go to home depot and get some pvc pipe and then some screw on adapters that allow you to drill them into something... pictured here (pipes about $2 maybe, adapters are like $3 each)

25805_1279565864665_1095570040_30735528_1544471_n.jpg

that's a great idea adam.. and to think i've been using those u-shaped nails not nailed in all the way. Man those are a pain to put in sometimes

How much were those bicycle hooks.... we usually go to home depot and get some pvc pipe and then some screw on adapters that allow you to drill them into something... pictured here (pipes about $2 maybe, adapters are like $3 each)

I got them at Walmart. I think they were $3.99 for a pack of 6. I bought 4 packs.

Riley

^ Lowes and Home Depot also carries those bike hooks, I used about a dozen to run about 12 cables along a service wall. :D

Ohh then you can't beat that price. $4 for 6 is easier. And if they work, great. I'll have to possibly check out wallmart as they might make good wire hangers for the price

BTW, i see you are using the monoprice patch panels. They arnt too shabby, just mind the colors. They tend to put blue on top and on bottom sometimes with some of the panels, its a mistake, they mighta fixed it by now. I see the velcro wire wraps also, i get those.

Ive NEVER used a tooless keystone jack before and NEVER plan to. Spend $40 and get a crimper. Heck you can even get a cheap one that does JUST a good a job as an ideal one for $20 or so at monoprice. I have a few of them for my guys. I use an ideal personally, its just what ive always used. Also when you buy your tool, BUY extra blades. Sure you can go YEARS without changing your blades but trust me, nothing cuts like a nice new blade.

I always have 66 and 110 blades on me.

Thanks guys.. I'm in Canada. Swift Current, SK to be precise.

I think punchdown is the only way to go, but yeah, you do need the tool. It's not that expensive, but it would suck if you never had to use it again. I suppose, if you were doing enough terminations the tooless ones would be more expensive and buying the tool would make sense.

I bought one of the Paladin kits that has everything I need. I think it was about ~$375. I also bought their compression crimper for coax, etc.

I just decided to move my office desk to the opposite wall so I'm putting a run there too, but I hit a setback.. The wall in question has some horizontal cross-bracing. When I head to the city next time I have to pick up a flexible drill bit from Home Depot.

I bought everything except the cable from Monoprice.

Riley

Where have you been all my life? :D Another Swift Current dweller right here.

BTW, i see you are using the monoprice patch panels. They arnt too shabby, just mind the colors. They tend to put blue on top and on bottom sometimes with some of the panels, its a mistake, they mighta fixed it by now. I see the velcro wire wraps also, i get those.

Actually the patch panel is a Trendnet I got from newegg.ca. I put one in my in-law's new house and really liked it so I got one for my house too.

Where have you been all my life? :D Another Swift Current dweller right here.

Seriously? What's with all the Sask. people here? I mean, there isn't anything else to do, but... Too cold outside I guess, eh? :p

We'll have to meet up sometime..

Riley

Installed Open Filer on the Atom SuperMicro server I bought, hooked up the fiber to two enclosures and fired it up. Currently making two raid 10 arrays, with a total of 4 volumes. 1 iSCSI and 1 EXT3 volume per array. I never made a raid 10 before, figured now that I have all these drives, it's a good time to do so.

I am not sure yet if I will keep the switch there, as it is a much simpler setup to just go straight to the enclosure and use it as a DAS. I can always get another server like the one I have in the future, and do a high availability Open Filer setup, but that's beyond the scope of this project. I will not even be using this for production, it's more or less a fun toy.

The two arrays processing:

The nice thing with Open Filer is that it uses the Linux MDADM raid which is fairly standard and very easy to use even outside of Open Filer. Should the enclosure fail, or the fiber card fail, or any of this hardware otherwise stop working, I simply need to put those drives in a new enclosure, present it to any Linux box, and the data will be available again. It's really that easy, this is why I really prefer open source over proprietary stuff.

Once the raids are done rebuilding, I will play around with iSCSI and see how that goes.

Actually the patch panel is a Trendnet I got from newegg.ca. I put one in my in-law's new house and really liked it so I got one for my house too.

Seriously? What's with all the Sask. people here? I mean, there isn't anything else to do, but... Too cold outside I guess, eh? :p

We'll have to meet up sometime..

Riley

What all Sask people? I know of like... 3 people on the entire board. I thought we were pretty rare. Does this meet up happen in a dark alley?

Red, what card did you use for the fiber ? I have some fiber cables i want to build a system too.

pm ?

No PM please :)

I'm interested too. I've just bought a few of those SuperMicros and was thinking of setting up something very similar. What are the drive enclosures? Are they pricey?

AKA the 1710-10U? And i can just hook that up openfiler/freenas if i pop a fc card in? I thought you needed the proper filer head type things to use with these? Will it support disks bigger than 250GB? (the spec seems to suggest that is it's limit)

Can't answer most of that as I've only used HP stuff at work and I'm not too familiar with it, but they have 400gb drives in it, so that's a yes to the last question.

Yeah they are 1710-10U enclosures with sata drives, and the fiber card is a dual ISP2432 4Gb Fibre Channel card so I plugged two enclosures into it directly. I got this stuff for free, keep in mind that this card alone is probably worth a couple grand. The SAN enclosure itself seems to sell cheap on ebay but the interface cards on the back are actually worth 26k at IBM. It's one of the reason they got rid of this SAN is one of the cards was failing and it was almost cheaper to just buy a new SAN.

And yep, I thought it would be more involved then that, but simply just plug it in. Some of the drives did not pickup at first but that's because their partition tables were all messed up, given they were part of a hardware raid and now I was trying to access them individually. I just did fdisk and cleared the partition table and made sure there was no sun label, and I was good to go.

I'm also hoping they will take bigger drives, but I also read about a limitation. Not sure if it's maybe a limitation at the SAN head itself, which wont be an issue for me if that's the case.

The two raid 10 arrays are at 34% now lol.

I'm also hoping they will take bigger drives, but I also read about a limitation. Not sure if it's maybe a limitation at the SAN head itself, which wont be an issue for me if that's the case.

Could you try this for me please? I don't really want to order them and find that limitation :)

Hey Red. Curious what drove your choice for openfiler? I used it for a while and swapped it out for freeNAS.

Don't know about red, but in my experience, openfiler was much, much more stable than freenas. FreeNAS is cool for an all in one file server, but if you're using it as an iscsi/nfs target then openfiler seemed to be a much better solution. Every time I put an iscsi load on freenas, it shit the bed.

Plus, it pissed me off beyond belief that an IP change on freenas required a reboot, or better yet - teaming my adapters required a reboot before I could IP the lagg interface, so to bond the nics and ip the new interface required two reboots...

Don't know about red, but in my experience, openfiler was much, much more stable than freenas. FreeNAS is cool for an all in one file server, but if you're using it as an iscsi/nfs target then openfiler seemed to be a much better solution. Every time I put an iscsi load on freenas, it shit the bed.

Plus, it pissed me off beyond belief that an IP change on freenas required a reboot, or better yet - teaming my adapters required a reboot before I could IP the lagg interface, so to bond the nics and ip the new interface required two reboots...

Load on iSCSI for me hasn't had any troubles, but ya the multiple reboots kind of pisses me off a bit. I liked that I can install it on a 4gb usb drive and not have to use another drive for the os.

Back