Network pics thread

These are a few pics of my Cisco Home Lab. Im currently working on my CCNA Voice

snc00146p.jpg

snc00147.jpg

snc00159f.jpg

snc00164c.jpg

snc00168.jpg

The image below is my 2621XM Router. Doing memory upgrade to 256D/48F
snc00221.jpg

After memory upgrade no IOS on flash so had to partition and install IOS (SUCKS!!)
snc00222m.jpg

From the top to bottom
Catalyst 3524-PWR-24
Catalyst 2950-24
Catalyst 2950-24
Catalyst 2950-24
Cisco 1760 128D/48F 2FXO & 2FXS with CallManager Express
Cisco 2621XM 256D/48F with SDM
Cisco 2620 64D/32F
Cisco 2620 64D/32F
Cisco 2610 64D/32F
Cisco 2501 64D/16F For Frame Relay

snc00224i.jpg

maybe i'm just weird but why do some of you guys run multiple cables from one switch to another?

maybe i'm just weird but why do some of you guys run multiple cables from one switch to another?

Port trunking is a reason to do this, but with the various CCNA labs people have, I'm not too sure (I haven't done my Cisco courses in school yet).

well i assumed trunking/etherchannel, but i mean for a lab enviroment, its not like they are gonna be pushing lots of bandwidth. been thinking about picking up a 1760 as well, i have CME running off a 2611xm right now, which is also serving as my network edge/VPN router LOL. I'll have to get some pics of my rack tomorrow, got everything setup finall.

I'd guess for learning to configure it. You can start pulling cables and see how it reacts.

well i assumed trunking/etherchannel, but i mean for a lab enviroment, its not like they are gonna be pushing lots of bandwidth. been thinking about picking up a 1760 as well, i have CME running off a 2611xm right now, which is also serving as my network edge/VPN router LOL. I'll have to get some pics of my rack tomorrow, got everything setup finall.

It's not really for bandwidth, but understanding link selection algorithms inherent in Etherchannel setups. It's a BCMSN topic

Etherchannel rocks. I did that on my 2948gs. Thats why if you go back and look at the last recent pics you see 4 cables comming from the top switch to the bottom 2.

Its for etherchannel and spanning vlans. i have my voice and my data on diffrent vlans on diffrent ethchannels for testing QOS and all that. as well as I am using one of my 2620's as a ROAS config for cross vlan communication. its kinda cool stuff

It's not really for bandwidth, but understanding link selection algorithms inherent in Etherchannel setups. It's a BCMSN topic

Yes your right advanced etherchannel setups os BCMSN but you still need to know how to configure a basic etherchannel and know how it works for the CCNA

Hey moose517. A 1760 for Voice is a great idea. becuase you can put voice modules in it like i have (FXO & FXS) for using your home analog telecom line. just make sure when you buy your 1760 it has a PVDM Module so you can support the voice cards. and at least 48B Flash to hold your 12.4 IOS and callmanager

for my 2611xm i actually have the NM-2V with a FXS and FXO card, playing with the phones is cool, i want to move our entire house over to it but my mom won't let me since the FXO card doesn't do caller-id, found out i need the version 2 FXO card to do that, which means i need the NM-HD-2V first LOL. But a 1760 is probably gonna be coming along soon as it stands i have no way of doing my network the way i want LOL.

Now for some pics:
100_1636-1.jpg

starting from top to bottom:
westell 327w DSL modem
Linksys WRVS4400N
Dell 5324 24 port gigabit switch
24 port patch panel(still need to get somethings for it first LOL)
cisco 2950 - being used as my CME switch
cisco 2611xm - running CME 4.3 and will be my edge router soon, got an AIM VPN module to help with my current VPN connection to a friend.
cisco 2650xm - was gonna use as edge but found out it doesn't suppot the AIM moduel i bought :(
cisco 3660 - gonna server as a frame relay switch, also has an NM-ATM-T3 module i'm gonna sell on ebay since i will probably never use it LOL
black box cat5 KVM micro extender, connects to my file server in the basement

3x cisco 3548's, got an amazing deal on ebay for them LOL only reason i have them
3x 2924's - again an amazing deal on them
2x 1924's - i was a noob at one point and bought these.

i'm studying for the CCNA right now and eventually on up, needless to say i have the switches to setup a full campus design as well as routing for frame relay, might pickup like 1-2 more routers for the frame relay switch. I also am putting together a computer that will be put on the rack to configure my cisco stuff and serve as a TFTP server, SVN repository, itunes "server", and setup apache to learn some PHP/website stuff, i would like to also setup something on that computer to monitor network usage since the WRVS4400N does port mirroring, but not sure what app to use. Hope you guys like.

Posting an update to my original post here: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034536803&postcount=898 Below are the upates.

UPDATE: Here is some pics of the cleaned out network room that all this hardware will be going into. We just got done assembling the two racks. One a two post and the other a four post kendall howard. We had a third party come in and tone out all the runs and terminate them at both ends. I installed the four HP 48 port GB switches along with an APC 1500 and APC verticle PDU.

090409_0929%5B00%5D.jpg
090409_0929%5B01%5D.jpg

090409_1107%5B00%5D.jpg
090409_1108%5B00%5D.jpg

UPDATE: Just got the New Fortinet hardware in. Mmmmmmm Fortinet. Getting everything configured to where I can just place everything in the rack and plug it in. I've got the 8 switch ports in non switch mode so I can config each port individually if I choose and I will choose to do so.:) At least four of them at the moment.

0914091556a.jpg
0914091555.jpg

0914091555a.jpg
0914091556.jpg

Thanks guys.

Yeah the patch panels weren't exactly my first pick howerver that is the way it came out in the end. I wish they weren't three deep like they are for cable management reasons but I still think it's going to look nice though.

The Fortinets.........that was all me :cool::D

We are almost complete with our migration from leased gear to colocation at Colo4Dallas which is obviously in Dallas Texas. :D

From top to bottom:

Baytech Reboot Switch
Cisco 2950 24 Port Switch
Raritan 16 Port KVM (With a tucked away Lantronix Spiders)
Infrant Ready NAS (4 x 1TB - 2 x RAID1 Mirrors)
Gigabyte Dual Opteron (2 x 80GB RAID1) Server 2003, for whatever.
Supermicro Core2 @ 2.93GHz w/2GB RAM & 2 x 80GB RAID1
Supermicro Quad Xeon 2.83GHz w/8GB RAM & 4 x 500GB HDD's RAID10
Supermicro Quad Xeon 2.83GHz w/8GB RAM & 4 x 500GB HDD's RAID10
1U Sliding Rack LCD/KB
Bomgar Remote Support Appliance :)

server.jpg

MikeTrike: How is the BOMGAR RDP working out for you? I am currently looking for a solution for my clients to do remote support.

Here is my home setup.

Comcast Cable Modem
Netgear WGR614v9 Wireless Router (Only used as wireless AP)
HP Procurve 1700-8 J9079A
Fortigate 50A
Cannon MP620 Blue (Wireless) Not Pictured

DSCF0051.JPG

Last edited:
Not visible is my HP 1800-24G. It's sitting at the back by a PDU. Still not quite done yet either (new router isn't plugged in for one). Kinda wish my rack wasn't beige too.

My question to those who have them, I've always wanted a 4 post enclosed rack like that... but... the front looks solid... where does it get air from?

all my racks have been 2 post so no questions asked...

My question to those who have them, I've always wanted a 4 post enclosed rack like that... but... the front looks solid... where does it get air from?

From what I've seen, usually the bottom and top (vents around the top on that APC one). Though some I've seen have a permeable front (wire mesh or something).

Also notice the perforations between the glass and the edge of the door.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

This is the core network mdf rack. I should probably go take pictures of the other idf closets, but I'm afraid they're too far to attempt this morning.

Infoblox 550A appliance (DNS, DHCP, IPAM, RADIUS, etc.)
Cisco ASA5510 with IDS sensor
Cisco 2821 ISR
Cisco 3560G 48 port switch
3x Cisco 2960 24 port switches
Misc. computers (door security and badge system, DVR, etc.)

IMG_0047.jpg

Second Rack in our server room. This holds archive stuff, Applications server, Backup server, Exchange 2007 server and AD master server. The 8 hard drive array is something like 4-6 TB of storage space.
IMG_0049.jpg

If you look at the server names, you might notice something.
IMG_0048.jpg

Noticing a pattern yet in the server naming convention?
IMG_0050.jpg

This is the top half of the primary rack. The top part has servers for antivirus, secondary DNS (soon to be replaced with another Infoblox), print (vm), smtp relay (vm), VMWare, digital faxing and file server. There is also the Dell MD3000 storage array for SQL.
IMG_0051.jpg

This is the bottom half of the primary rack. It contains SQL servers running in an active/passive cluster connected to the MD3000, a Citrix XenApp primary server, and an old SQL server at the bottom that just got replaced by the two R710s in the middle of the rack.

In the blade chassis, I have a test SQL server, intranet server, two Citrix application servers load balanced, a network/server monitoring system running windows and a network/server monitoring system running debian linux.
IMG_0053.jpg

Dell MD3000 storage array. All 15k SAS drives.
IMG_0057.jpg

APC UPS 16kva system. This is connected to a gas generator on the first floor.
IMG_0056.jpg

63 degrees F. Kinda chilly.

I'm still cleaning up a lot of the mess from replacing the network rack over the past month or so. Lots of cables to pick up and go through.

Most have openings in the door somewhere (if the front isn't mesh).
From what I've seen, usually the bottom and top (vents around the top on that APC one). Though some I've seen have a permeable front (wire mesh or something).
The front is sealed from the top actually. Bottom isn't completely sealed, but there is very little room between the bottom of the rack and the door.
Also notice the perforations between the glass and the edge of the door.
Yeah, it's very hard to see. Here is a better pic: http://stfcc.org/bluefox/permanent/DSC00884s.jpg

Blue Fox: What are the cases with the blue doors? Who makes them?

they look like this antec... only the bigger version

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129051
Yes, it's the 4U version of that (called the Take 4).

Nice Jerker. :)
I do like it a lot. I'm glad I bought it (off someone on this forum actually) I had to remove the swinging shelves temporarily due to the the rack though. I'm used to having 2 above my laptop.

now that i got my own proper server room this thread makes me drewl! i am working on putting in some orders for some new servers, i figure around 20-30K, so my rack's should look nice one day, had to order shelves since the racks we had in the room had none!

so once i get the shelves in at least i will post some pics of my very very very first server room set up!

i LOVE those angled patch panels!

Corge, what kind of angeled patch panels are those? Are they Leviton compatible?

They are Panduit patch panels. It is part of their MiniCom series.

I'll post the link below for the 48 port version of the patch panel I'm using. You have to use it with their MiniCom stuff. Any of their MiniCom stuff is supposed to work together. It's pricey, but all great equipment. I use all Panduit at my house as well, just not the angled patch panels

http://panduit.com/Products/ProductOverviews/ProductSearch/index.htm?Ns=P_ItemSortOrder&Ne=1&R=CPPA48HDWBLY&sid=123E3C07F2A4&lastNodeId=ss_prod_coppersolutions&N=5000001%201863%203002120

This is a bit lame compared to some of the stuff I just looked at in this thread, but for my house it works great.

Comcast Broadband > Motorola SB5120 Modem > D-LinkDGL-4100 Router/Firewall > Dell 2716 Switch > (WAP54G running MustDie FW) > remainder of home network as follows:

• ReadyNAS Pro (6 x 750GB, 3GB RAM) Teamed Gigabit Ethernet w\Jumbo Frames
  • 2 PCs
  • Laptop
  • 3 Vivotek PZ6114 IP Cameras
  • 3 Logitech (SlimDevices) players (two SB3s, and a Transporter)
  • 2 Dish Network Receivers (ViP622, ViP211K)
  • Panasonic BluRay Player
  • Laser Printer
  • Panasonic PowerLine Networking devices (3)
  • etc...

TIM_2824_991_small.jpg

Telco on left, Dishnetwork and Comcast Cable Broadband in the middle, LAN on the right all wired by me.

DSC07875_small.jpg

Front of home theater, currently an in-progress project:

TIM_2832_992_low_combo.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup MinPins. I love those dogs, and I also like your setup, very nice. How do you like the Netgear NAS? Is it reliable, fast? I've been throwing around the idea of buying one of those NAS boxes or building something around an ATOM and two 2.5' drives.

What brand is that little junction box and where to get them. A friend of mine is building a house and I was looking to install something like that.

I apologize if this violates the thread's rules and gets deleted, but since you asked....

Private Citizen said:
How do you like the Netgear NAS? Is it reliable, fast?

Love it. Yes. Yes. Great user/support forum. Streams HD footage via teamed gigabit ethernet ports without a hitch. One of my drives was failing so it sent me a text message. I pulled out the bad drive, replaced it with an identical one (no need to power it down first), and it rebuilt the array without me loosing even one bit of data.

Private Citizen said:
What brand is that little junction box and where to get them?

Leviton. Home Depot. They make several sizes and lots of components that fit inside.

*Again, apologies to the Mods if this represents a thread rules violation.*

**EDIT**

Ooops! Almost forgot something.

Here is my personal best on WAN throughput with my setup:

_comcast_speed_8_30_2009.jpg

One from today (I downgraded my service 1 notch to save a few bucks, I can't really tell the difference though.

_comcast_speed_9_28_2009.jpg

Last edited:
Back