Network pics thread

I also admire his excellent work, but it really isn't necessary to keep quoting and re-posting the same photo(s), geez...

But a L3 switch are not aware of what protocol is in use.
Load-balancers need to work with more than just layer 4 though. Layer 7 intelligence is needed to ensure sessions remain "sticky" to the proper app-tier servers, e.g. SSL session IDs to identify which client has a session to which server or the use of HTTP cookies so we know which user is logged onto which app-tier server or where a shopping cart contents are located, etc.

Agree with Vito, that's a crummy and very generic document.

Most L3 switches have some sort of L4 capabilities like the ability to filter packets based on source or destination port/protocol (via ACLs), apply QoS markings or priority queuing based on the protocol (via the MQC on IOS devidces), etc...

But a L3 switch are not aware of what protocol is in use.

For a pure L3 switch, you're right. What I'm telling you is what people typically refer to as L3 switches are really L3/L4 (MLS) switches. I don't know of any pure L3 switches (switches with no L4 capabilities).

arrggg... bloody DTE/DCE stops me closing my rack door! Why do they ave to stick out so far!!

/rant

This was it, until yesterday, when the shiny new HP rack arrived. Looking a little bare at the moment but given time I'm sure I'll get it filled.

oldoffice.jpg

And now...

office.jpg

I've been lurking for a while and decided to finally contribute.

Started at my company about a year ago. Have been working on cleaning up the DC for the past 9 months. I wish I had taken more before shots.

Network Racks Before:
nwracksbefore.jpg

The white cables was the premise wiring for workstations. These patches panels and switches were moved to the room next door. The blue cables down the row were poorly self made directly connecting servers to the single core switch, little to no labeling.

Network Racks After:
nwracksafter.jpg

Horizontal wiring is all CAT 6A as well as the patch cables. Dual 4506-E core switches.

now that is what i call a clean rack. well done.

we have two 4507R+E's on their way soon. looking forward to working with them.

now that is what i call a clean rack. well done.

we have two 4507R+E's on their way soon. looking forward to working with them.

HEY!! Thanks for quoting those pictures YET AGAIN not like they haven't been quoted 20 plus times already!!

Thanks guys, This was the first time cleaning up something on this scale. I need to take some pictures of the front side of the server racks.

CAT6A, This is some crazy thick cable.

Starline busway, 60A plugs for Dell chassis cabinets. The busway is feed by an APC 80 KVA ups in the room next door. The starline system is really awesome. If I need to move or add a box I can do it myself without taking the system down or calling in an electrician.

Back side of Dell M1000e chassis. 4 Chassis in this cabinet.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong the Dell cabinets are nice, but I like HP better overall :D[/QUOTE

I like the dells :)

I also like Middle Atlantic but costs too much, even at dealer prices its cheper for me to buy a dell rack on their website then a MA at my dealer price

Avey that stuff must be rated for 10gig, we had our new lab wires with that, I could seriously tow my old truck it was so thick.

I saw some 10gig Cat6A in person at Graybar...must be a PITA to install!

Yes, it is very thick, the best way to do installs is when it is a new building, it is just easier to route it that way. Now the lab Im speaking of they ran probably about 10,000 individual lines of this stuff, all to 10gbe patch panels backboned by, I think they were 6500 or 6505 chassis.

My boss told me it was over a million dollars just for the network cables to be run and terminated.

Ten thousand individual 10g pulls. Holy crap. You'd need some serious iron at the core to move data around that network at that bandwidth.

I want to say for 288 CAT 6A ports going to 5 cabinets it cost around 85-90k. That included the baskets. While I think it's pretty cool stuff I think we could have spent that money elsewhere and put in CAT6 instead.

Yeah, they would be nice, we only ran them at 1gb/sec but, the plan is to move to 10gb/sec in the future without having to rewire everything again.

OOOOOOO New Toy Arrived yesterday.

DSCN3078.JPG

DSCN3079.JPG

DSCN3080.JPG

DSCN3081.JPG

Now to learn how to configure it properly & setup Vlans.

That looks vaguely familiar...

I just picked this up yesterday for only $350 new.

Busy making some custom aluminum under-desk mounts for it now.

That looks vaguely familiar...

I just picked this up yesterday for only $350 new.

Busy making some custom aluminum under-desk mounts for it now.

GOT a smokin deal on mine, pay less than what you paid :) but then again you get POE. I only have 2 poe devices so far...

Mine isn't just POE it's "MP", which I am fairly certain stands for "Mondo POE". ;)

All kidding aside 15.4W on 8 ports, total = 124W

I made them using 1 1/8" x 1/8" aluminum stock I had out in the garage.
I used the stock rack ears as a template and drilled the holes using my drill press.
Bent the angle using my vise and a torch.

P1010600_edit_resize_b.jpg

I like my desk to look like this underneath:

P1010603_resize.jpg

Of course if you squat down and look under it, its a different story:

P1010612_resize.jpg

9/10 ports full on my new switch.

Back