Network pics thread

Dell/EMC Environment

VDI, 2 new 710HD's on the way for additional server VM's, 5 Blades for VDI, 2 Blades for Server Management VM's:

CX4-240 mixture of FC Drives sizes.., new VNX 5500 on the way:

HP Environment, mixture of DL380G6 and G7's, G7's weren't quite ready at purchase..some issue with Westmere and iLo. Center is 2 x Procurve 5212Zl's 10Gbe SAN Network, 3 P4500 Clusters, Hyper-V..yeah..yeah..I know

Getting ready for my home equipment room..will post pics of the room tonight after the thorough cleaning it's going to be getting NAS and vSphere LAB:

Items on the way or planned:
24PT Patch Pannel
Skeletek Rack
HP 1910-24 Switch (need VLAN and LACP capability)
Cable Management
Couple of more LCD's wall mounted
Small low powerd server for pfense duties
3TB Drives for the NAS

Last edited:
Reasonable, it all depends on how warm the room is. Our server room here is about 72 all day long, so the fans are whisper quiet. However if they need to, the fans can jack up the RPM's to "jet-like" if need be. It usually does not change until it hits 75-76 degrees for the incoming air, then again around 79-80, then it just keeps getting louder from there. But under 75 ambient and the fans are super slow, however you can manually set them if you'd like.

Nice! Thanks for the info :cool:

Dell/EMC Environment

How you like the emc stuff ? I am going for hand's on training for EMC stuff in January, I just did some more datadomain storage training today and learning about DD 4.8 & 4.9.

How you like the emc stuff ?

I really like their SAN and Security product lines, not too familiar as of yet with Data Domain, Avamar.

The plugins for vSphere work great, can provision storage, setup multipathing policies right from the plugin...very nice. Let's face it, they have the upper hand when it comes to integration with VMware and their storage/backup technologies.

I'm studying for my EMC ISM Proven Professional on their Cloud Architect track, and i'm heading to round #3 of interviews mid-November for a Technical Pre-Sales Consultant with EMC. I really like the ISM book, it's well laid out and really reinforces a lot of key areas. I just finished the harddrive performance chapter, while I knew the makeup of physical spindles already, I really didn't know all the performance laws that govern disk performance...pretty cool. I'm on the RAID chapter now..be kicking this in high gear as i'll be taking the exam end of November.

We're also getting an additional VNX5500 ..so I can't wait for that to get here.

Last edited:
I really like their SAN and Security product lines, not too familiar as of yet with Data Domain, Avamar.

The plugins for vSphere work great, can provision storage, setup multipathing policies right from the plugin...very nice. Let's face it, they have the upper hand when it comes to integration with VMware and their storage/backup technologies.

I'm studying for my EMC ISM Proven Professional on their Cloud Architect track, and i'm heading to round #3 of interviews mid-November for a Technical Pre-Sales Consultant with EMC. I really like the ISM book, it's well laid out and really reinforces a lot of key areas. I just finished the harddrive performance chapter, while I knew the makeup of physical spindles already, I really didn't know all the performance laws that govern disk performance...pretty cool. I'm on the RAID chapter now..be kicking this in high gear as i'll be taking the exam end of November.

We're also getting an additional VNX5500 ..so I can't wait for that to get here.

I'm off to Training for all the units in January, i'm in the states for 2 weeks. From building a rack to mounting the equipment to cabling to breaking the units and then fixing them. Just did some exams on the DD640 and DD670's, the older stuff, but Did the VNX5500 last week. VERY nice equipment, great support too.. I installed a HUGE HUGE VDL few months ago, what a beast.

dash how do you get all this training?

I work for Unisys Canada :)

I fix Lexmark Hp Dell IBM Lenovo EMC Bell Telus Cisco the list goes on :)

I remember my boss saying, HEY, you want to do cisco training, go nuts :) it's all paid for.. You want to do ms certs go nuts thats paid for too. ( however i shrugged at that ) The cisco HELL YEAH ill go for that, id live to get some voip certs and more networking and learn about sub netting and lots more about cli

That's why i didn't throw out this cisco router & cisco switch, because they still work and it will learn me a few things :)..

Dash.

Lucky git... I asked to do my CCNA and they said yes but when I got it all setup my manager told me no as I am too busy for the next 6 months (this is a multi national company we are talking about here)

I have taken holiday time off to teach myself instead :(

Hey Dash, Is your company willing to hire a Scottish networking person who has experience, yet loads to learn but is more than willing to.

Im starting to realise how out of practise I am since all the networks i do are SBS, basic switch, and routers with port forwarding. I need to get some high end stuff.

LOLOLOLOLOL @ Unisys. The same company that sells windows storage server 2003 boxes as "IP SAN" to small banks that don't know any better for $40k. I've never been impressed with the service or support they provide.

LOLOLOLOLOL @ Unisys. The same company that sells windows storage server 2003 boxes as "IP SAN" to small banks that don't know any better for $40k. I've never been impressed with the service or support they provide.

That's weird, I've never seen one. Have you ever priced out a EMC unit ? 40k doesn't sound that bad, when you factor in hardware, support & installation.

From what I have been told they do have a bad rep from both customers and staff, poor pay and a stupid job management system that doesn't give the tech enough time to actually get to the site and do the job.

From what I have been told they do have a bad rep from both customers and staff, poor pay and a stupid job management system that doesn't give the tech enough time to actually get to the site and do the job.

I don't have that issue at all, all my milage, training and expences are paid. Paid every Friday for prior week travels. I vet paid on time and I get over time. I'm pretty happy with my pay too, I also manage my calls so if I have 10 calls in my box, I don't have to get them all done in one day I manage them accordingly. I actually love my job and take pride in making sure every customer is happy with the service I performed. I'm also in Canada so the rules up here might be different than the states..

The best experience I have had with tech support is a local company that does HP printer repair. Always the same lady; we call her the "Copy repair cougar." She actually knows what she is doing and is pretty good looking.

The best experience I have had with tech support is a local company that does HP printer repair. Always the same lady; we call her the "Copy repair cougar." She actually knows what she is doing and is pretty good looking.

We just have a creepy weird Asian guy. "Raymond" is his name.

I don't have that issue at all, all my milage, training and expences are paid. Paid every Friday for prior week travels. I vet paid on time and I get over time. I'm pretty happy with my pay too, I also manage my calls so if I have 10 calls in my box, I don't have to get them all done in one day I manage them accordingly. I actually love my job and take pride in making sure every customer is happy with the service I performed. I'm also in Canada so the rules up here might be different than the states..

Where did you work before?

Where did you work before?

technet-canada, ran my own computer business doing lots of cable work & laptop repairs. Before that Futureshop doing home theatre stuff and installing / mounting equipment & concealing wires.

Moved into the new apartment today...

Srip0.jpg

How you like the emc stuff ? I am going for hand's on training for EMC stuff in January, I just did some more datadomain storage training today and learning about DD 4.8 & 4.9.

I've spent the past 3 months studying which SAN to go with- Dell pushed me pretty hard away from EMC- probably something to do with their soured relationship.

But I listened strictly on the technical merits and decided to go with an Equalogic on that alone. If you want more details, I would be happy to explain more.

I dislike EMC, we had a lot of reliability issues. Our Pillar system did well for itself.

Caption: "Nice and Simple"

I am a huge fan of simple loooking, functional labs.
One day, I will have mine uncluttered, clean and simple too!!

It's easy to look simple and uncluttered when nothing at all is connected.

Back