Netflix Users, Time to Pick a Plan

Switching to streaming only because Blockbuster offers a lot more movies on Bluray for a lower price. The Criterion Collection specifically is really nice to have on blu.

Their streaming selection sucks. I canceled when the price hikes were fist announced.
Didn't make sense to send then another $16 until I made up my mind.

I only ever use it to stream anime and a handful of movies that they have available. I may cancel soon/eventually.

Cancelled the 1 disc a month plan but kept the streaming for Netflix. Have moved to Blockbuster 2 disc per month plan because they offer games in addition to DVD's and Blu-ray. I considered the Amazon Prime option but didn't feel the library of streaming content was large enough to justify the switch. I am also considering an X-Box Live Gold membership to get access to ESPN. The only TV we get is over the air HD TV dropped cable and satellite over a year ago.

I'm canceling as well. It's not that I don't find the value in the $16 a month price tag, it's more than worth it. It's still less than a trip to the movies, and about the cost of buying one new DVD on release day.

I'm canceling because, once you make it through all of the good stuff, you're left with crap. Pages and pages of crap. If they were to add more stuff at the end of the year, then I would have happily stayed a customer.

I've switched over to Hulu Plus (like them on Facebook and you get a free month instead of two weeks). The service isn't as polished as netflix, and it has commercials (please, get more of them -- I'm tired of watching the same commercial 4 times during a show), but it gets the job done.

My wife and I have been talking about Amazon Prime for a while now. We easily justify the cost in shipping charges (even if you include the $3-5 padding of stuff we don't need to get free shipping). It will be a nice supplement to Hulu Plus.

I'm just going to pay the increase and keep the same services that I have now. Sure, I'd rather not pay more for the same services. The price difference is no more than I waste on dumb shit every month though so the extra expense isn't a huge difference in my budget anyway. I can understand why some would cancel or cut back though.

I'll keep streaming only. Hell, it's less then what I pay a day for coffee!

I've been using NF streaming since it was introduced. I was actually using it before it was released to the general public, too. I loved it. Since then, they have stocked so many more shows, that's it's even better than before. And they change every month, although they have many that stay the same. When they first did a price hike of 1 dollar and introduced a streaming only plan, a while ago (no one saw the writing on the wall back then?) I swapped to the streaming only plan.

All that said, I still haven't decided if I'm going to cancel my account or not. There's no price hike for me. But I almost feel I must protest what they're doing. They're really screwing over a lotta people. On the other hand, I kinda feel they're screwing over a lotta stupid people, so why should I care? So for right now, I've put my account on hold while I figure it out.

Ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I'm sure they'll use that money for good, just like the record profits the oil companies keep posting.

Redbox is vastly cheaper for my family so I killed off Netflix a few months back. Now if I could just convince my girlfriend that she doesn't need to listen to Sirius 24 hours a day I could get rid of satellite also.

Love the ilack of reading up on this. yes netflix made record profits. But only becuase they where the only ones doing this on a large scale and none of the movie companies thought it would work.. They sold most of the content on a PER view contract for next to nothing. As Netflix grew (got placed on consoles) the streaming grew extremly fast.. SO many say its shit content (fine.. dont pay for it, simple!) but the fact is the streaming stuff Netflix is offering is getting watched alot, so much that the movie companies are all going to increase the contracts (which end in Dec of this year) prices massively.. so much in fact that Netflix is going to eat alot of that profit up to keep many of them going "IF" streaming keeps increasing.

yes Netflix made alot of money up till now.

Yes netflix wouldnt need to increase price if the MOVIE companies they pay where not increasing the ammount that netflix pays them by massive ammounts. But the FACT is the prices netflix pays are going up, WAY up.. Netflix doesnt own the RIGHTS to any of those shows, they pay for you to stream each and every one of them. (these are easy facts to research if one uses google and doens jump on the Bitch train).

And some really simple facts:

Redbox- if those 20 movies are enough, great, no problem by me... why are you bitching in a Netflix thread again? Your happy. Me i sometimes wanna watch something spur of the moment without driving to get it So REDBOX is great for planned DVD watching.. love it myslef.. but this was about Netflix streaming and DVD plans.. not just DVD plans.

Crap content- dont pay! bitching to anybody who does watch it is sorta a wate of your and thier time. And this wasnt about content, its about extra price and 2 plans.. the content on streaming has only improved since it started, if you dont like , as stated why are you here? you should have figured that out long ago..

Bitorrent- i could care less, but its not legal, to each his own.. if you want to download this way, why did you ever try netflix (for streaming)in the first place? If its teh DVD part.. well those are on Bit torrent too.. have at them!

Other providers- NONE offer the amount netflix does. if it gets to teh exact content.. please... no really please! go to whoever provides what you want.. this is a non argument.. content is what it is.. these price changes are not chaing the content.. if it was crap at the original price, its still crap at a higher price to you.. move along.. I cant help to htink it wouldnt bother you so much if there wasnt somthing you DID want to watch on netflix.. so its not so crap after all?

I am not happy about the price increase but Im not blind to why either. Much like our DIgital download services.. soon we wil need HBO, SHOWTIME, CBS, NBC, etc each will have their own, none will be on one service. so lets just make each of them $5 a month.. that $8 is going to seem pretty cheap..Of ocurse it will be to late to put the genie back in the bottle then..

netlfix is a victim of its own succes.. nobody thought this streaming stuff would work (and why should any), when it was first tried it was more than a $1 a show for those 17 minute tv shows that are 30 minutes on tv.. And who would pay to advertise on TV if we could skip all the comercials and watch it later? it succeded and now all those people who have the content want a piece of the pie..

In 1 or 2 years many of are going to talke about he "good old" days when most shows whre on netflix and we paid $8 to see them.. only time will tell if im wrong

Stay with streaming only, try amazon prime for a month and pick one.

I hate being forced to choose between brussel sprouts and Lima beans.

I'm going to treat Netflix as I have since it was introduced. Like it doesnt exist.

Netflix is something I've never needed and never will.

IMO, Redbox blows chunks. Not only is RB's selection the most limited of all, but the entire process of lining up in front of kiosk waiting for someone else to browse/pick up/return their movies is a slow annoying death.

And I started using them in 2007, but I haven't rented from them in over a year now. The only real advantage is price, but it's grossly inconvenient. For me, Redbox is NOT an alternative to Netflix.

IMO, Redbox blows chunks. Not only is RB's selection the most limited of all, but the entire process of lining up in front of kiosk waiting for someone else to browse/pick up/return their movies is a slow annoying death.

And I started using them in 2007, but I haven't rented from them in over a year now. The only real advantage is price, but it's grossly inconvenient. For me, Redbox is NOT an alternative to Netflix.
It of course depends on the situation, and you bring up a valid point. For me, NF blows chunks. I can rent 6 BRDs (or BDs, whatever you want to call them) per mo. for the same price NF charges and get new releases at the same time. I have tons of RB kiosks available in my normal commute, which means I don't have to do extra driving. And most stores (near me) now have 2 RB kiosks, not just 1, so less likely I'd have to wait in line. According to the article, 2/3 of the US population is within 5 min. of a RB kiosk. :cool:

My Netflix is $7.99/m

And yes, I pay upwards of $10 a day for coffee. That's what I get for having two jobs and not enough sleep.

you're working 2 jobs and still have time for netflix?

I'll keep my streaming + 1 BD at a time. It's not that much of a price increase. Still much cheaper than getting cable or sat.

My wife and I love watching the TV Shows on Netflix and occasionally find an older movie. The 1 BD at a time will let us keep watching newer releases or what isn't on streaming.

While we have been Amazon Prime members for several year snow, I'm not impressed with their selection of streaming enough to cancel my Netflix streaming. Will continue to use it only when Netflix is down or otherwise acting funny.

I giggled when I read all the rage.

I have been a Netflix customer since pretty much the first few days of them existing. Yes I didn't like the price hike, but meh, it's still the least expensive form of entertainment by a long shot.

I have 3x BD at a time and streaming, will keep it. I also have Hulu+ for the stuff that's not available on Netflix (yet). To me both those services are a great value even at current (new) prices and I see no reason to cancel them.

FML forgot to add the RedBox comment; My issue with RedBox is that I need to go out of my way to get to it. I don't go to the grocery store/mall on a daily basis, more like weekly. Then there is the issue of the kiosk not having the movie I want, or I have to wait till someone else finally decides what it is they want.

RedBox may be a good alternative if you don't care about selection, you daily frequent RedBox locations, and you don't mind waiting till someone else is finally done with it. Those are all far too inconvenient for me and the $1/night doesn't make up for that inconvenience, in fact even if RedBox was free I wouldn't rent from them because it's would still cost me time.

I giggled when I read all the rage.

I have been a Netflix customer since pretty much the first few days of them existing. Yes I didn't like the price hike, but meh, it's still the least expensive form of entertainment by a long shot.

I have 3x BD at a time and streaming, will keep it. I also have Hulu+ for the stuff that's not available on Netflix (yet). To me both those services are a great value even at current (new) prices and I see no reason to cancel them.

Do you consume a lot of media?

Do you consume a lot of media?

For sure, I probably watch about 8 hours a week of streams or disks, don't watch broadcast/cable/sat TV though. The wife probably watches another 8 hours a week on top of that just by herself mainly streaming TV shows. So we watch 16-20 hours a week, or up to 80 hours per month.

For sure, I probably watch about 8 hours a week of streams or disks, don't watch broadcast/cable/sat TV though. The wife probably watches another 8 hours a week on top of that just by herself mainly streaming TV shows. So we watch 16-20 hours a week, or up to 80 hours per month.

Then it is definitely a good deal for you. I'm sad to see them go, but my 4-6 hours a week br/streaming isn't justified anymore. I watched my last couple movies from them the other day. True Grit and Hobo with a Shotgun, good times.

4 DVDs at home, plus streaming. I may add bluray just so I can give them more money each month. I really like the service and I support services that I like.

Back