Netflix Raises U.S. Prices

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 15, 2019.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

Reuters reports that Netflix is raising prices for U.S. subscribers by "13 to 18 percent." The standard plan will now be $12.99 instead of $10.99, the basic plan is getting a $1 price bump to $8.99, and the premium plan that allows for 4K HDR streaming is now $15.99 instead of $13.99, but those new prices aren't reflected on Netflix's website yet. Interestingly, and perhaps a bit counter-intuitively, Netflix share prices are up 5% following the announcement, though they are still significantly lower than their peak prices in June and July of this year. Some might think higher prices would turn Netflix subscribers to competitors, but investors apparently see it as an opportunity for more revenue.

The price hikes will be applied to all existing members over the next few months and to all new members immediately, Netflix said in a statement. This is the first time since October 2017 that Netflix has raised prices for its U.S. subscribers.

2. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

Oh well, $2 more per month for me after years of paying the same rate. Still nothing compared to how Comcast used to bend me over and increase the cost of my cable bill by $5-10/month almost every year.

3. gxp500

gxp500 Gawd

Sharing is caring.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  4. Rahh

Rahh [H]ard|Gawd

Streaming is the new cable subscription and will eventually be the same.

Trixar, elation, Denjoy and 14 others like this.
  5. purple_monster

purple_monster Limp Gawd

they could raise it to $20 i bet without a significant loss in subscribers. as long as amazon prime continues to amaze by shoveling even stinkier garbage than netflix they have nothing to worry about. plus hulu shows ads even with its paid plan still(lol). and crackle- ive heard it exists.

6. El Derpo

El Derpo Limp Gawd

Hulu’s lowest tier plan has ads, but the next tier up has no ads.

7. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

Must be to pay for those Marvel shows. Oh wait?!

8. schlitzbull

schlitzbull Limp Gawd

They really want me to cancel.

9. Wrecked Em

Wrecked Em [H]ardness Supreme

They probably need it to pay Comcast for throttling protection.

Trixar, jeffj7, Vercinaigh and 2 others like this.
  10. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

To be fair, I think the loss of subscribers due to dropping the Marvel shows is why the price is going up.

dvsman and Kinsaras like this.
  11. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

Considering Netflix just lost all of their marvel properties (once the last season of Punisher airs) to the Disney pay service, that's a chunk of geeks that will be dropping off. Right now I'm debating on keeping my subscription myself. I know I'll start my HBO back up once we get closer to April for GoT and then cancel once that ends.

That's the joy / advantage of cutting the cord. if you don't need it, cancel it. Then add it back when you do. Netflix tries to trick you into keeping it active with their grandfathered rates - oooh it's 2 bucks cheaper than the new rate. Paying while you're not using it at a lower rate really isn't saving you any money.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  12. Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk 2[H]4U

Netflix doesn't have the 6 Million Dollar Man & I only borrowed someone's account to watch that stupid movie with the blindfolded chick so, no loss.

13. admiralperpetual

admiralperpetual Limp Gawd

it went up from $10.99 to $13.99 here in Canada. finally decided to split the account with my brother-in-law.

14. DNMock

DNMock Limp Gawd

Let's hope like hell prices are going up so they can dump more funding into The Witcher and/or other original content. Doubt it though.

15. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

netflix needs to hire someone who can differentiate the good from the horseshit, they've wasted far too much money on the latter.

16. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Why watch when you can do like everyone else and do that damn challenge.

Trixar and Madoc like this.
  17. GNUse_the_force

GNUse_the_force Limp Gawd

recently posted on [H]news was an article about how sharing accounts is something netflix and others are looking into stopping using Ai algorithms.

"Yo dawg, i heard you like DRM on your DRM so we added Ai-DRM to your DRM so you can be 'Double DRM'd' while you stream."

Kinestron likes this.
  18. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

What competitors? Hulu? Amazon Prime? LOL!

19. T_A

T_A Limp Gawd

Click-Bait, Fake news , the article was about some company saying that their product could be used by companies such as Netflix, thats all

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Crosshairs, WBurchnall and Armenius like this.
  20. ManofGod

And the next tier up simply removes the ads but, where is the additional content?

21. cptnjarhead

cptnjarhead Crossfit Fast Walk Champion Runnerup

Still best price per content imo. If this increase yields more exclusive content... im all for it.

ManofGod likes this.
  22. WBurchnall

WBurchnall 2[H]4U

Because YouTube Red is so high in demand? They did free content + exclusive content gated behind a monthly fee and I think very few people are paying for that exclusive paywall content. That's just the impression I get about YouTube Red subscription numbers.

23. ManofGod

I was asking about Hulu.

24. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

Netflix really needs to up the quality of their shows. Starz is killing it right now with good shows

Bandersnatch wtf, step it up netflix

GSDragoon likes this.
  25. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

I think the prices are still fair, even for the 4k HDR content, but they're starting to push their luck now.

knowom likes this.
  26. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

Cobra Kai was excellent. Certainly work a binge and drop. :)

Skyblue and Wrecked Em like this.
  27. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

IMHO their original content sucks donkey balls and is up there with straight to DVD quality movies. There are some passable things but far cry from making it worthwhile (Castelvania anime was fairly decent). We have free sub from T-Mobile and there's simply nothing to watch that we consider worth the time. I'm a huge Witcher fan and have no hopes at all that Netflix will make a worthwhile movie, we shall see but their issue is lack of good directing and real acting talent than funding it seems.

joobjoob and Snowdensjacket like this.
  28. Snowdensjacket

Snowdensjacket Limp Gawd

Who cares I already canceled Netflix once they started force playing videos while I was trying to browse through the mountains of horse shit to find the rare gem worth watching. I just use Hulu now. And no ads, cause I pay a little bit more.

joobjoob likes this.
  29. TwiceOver

TwiceOver 2[H]4U

Why wouldn't they be. With the flick of a switch they just added a few billion dollars a year in revenue. Sure, revenue doesn't equal profit, but investors don't care.

30. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis 2[H]4U

I split Netflix between my parents and 2 of my brothers. It works out to $2-3 a month. I'm not losing any sleep.

31. ItWasMe

ItWasMe n00b

Hulu without ads still has ads. They run before and after some of the shows, but not all content has it. The main reason I canceled hulu.

Not a fan of netflix raising rates, considrring the money they spent to keep friends and losing the Disney catalog, and especially learning of it through a news item and not an email from netflix.

All one can do is monitor and audit their 'value meter' and see if the service still measures up as the price goes.

32. DNMock

DNMock Limp Gawd

Wouldn't more funding allow you to hire better acting talent and good directors?

I don't have a lot of faith that the witcher will actually be good either, but I am all but certain with a big enough budget to get the right directors, writers, special effects teams, actors, etc. etc. it could be the successor to GoT.

33. Lateralus

Lateralus More [H]uman than Human

Which one? I was trying to find it, but...

184332_49010250_127667248258161_8249814684425781248_o.jpg

(I can't take credit for this one - my boy Wrecked Em posted it in the Entertainment sub and I found it hilarious)

Master_shake_ and Wrecked Em like this.
  34. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

First Jeff Bezos lost his third favorite ascot in the divorce and now Netflix is forced just raise prices just to keep its orphanage doors open.

Well I will gladly take more money from my family to pay for these basic services if it will help these poor downtrodden billionaires and mega corps keeps the lights on and doors open.

Better call Zuckerbergenstein to offer up some more personal details to help him keep that wall around his mansions maintained.

Snowdensjacket likes this.
  35. WBurchnall

WBurchnall 2[H]4U

Duh. You're suggesting Hulu adopt the same model as YouTube, the world's largest video sharing site, which has been unsuccessful with that model. That's why I brought it up.

I watched that and found it pretty enjoyable. I thought it was interesting how they showed what came after the Karate Kid. The music selection was a great and really captured the spirit of the original movie. However, I wouldn't subscribe to a service for '1' tv show that's available on ahem other sources that frequently use h265.

Wrecked Em and joobjoob like this.
  36. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

If only I could point to a pattern of big budget movies that have sucked.

37. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

$13/month is a far cry from the $80+ a month for cable and satellite. Not to mention the amount of commercials on the those.

38. joobjoob

joobjoob Gawd

Tide pods and blindfolded driving. Calling Darwin to white courtesy phone.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  39. Wrecked Em

Wrecked Em [H]ardness Supreme

I think Cobra Kai was my favorite show of 2018. It's too bad most people don't even know it exists.

40. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

It was only a matter of time considering all the expensive original content they are bankrolling now.

I haven't had Netflix for a while, but I have considered signing up again to try out their "choose your own adventure" style shows as demonstrated in Black Mirror Bandersnatch.