Netflix Points to Fortnite as Major Competitor

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Jan 18, 2019.

1. AlphaAtlas

AlphaAtlas [H]ard|Gawd Staff Member

Netflix's Q4 earnings report is out. The streaming giant said they made $16 billion in revenue and doubled their operating profits to $1.6 billion this year, and they say that growth was fueled by "high member satisfaction." But gamesindustry.biz and other media outlets spotted a particularly interesting comment in the report: Netflix said that they earn about "10% of television screen time" in the US and less for mobile, and say that they "compete with (and lose to) Fortnite more than HBO." In addition to aknowledging the sheer popularity of the battle royale game, Netflix also talked about their interactive Black Mirror episode. As we reported yesterday, Netflix sees huge growth potential in the field of interactive media, and gamesindustry.biz believes producers want to blur the lines between video games and television.

"There are thousands of competitors in this highly fragmented market vying to entertain consumers... Our growth is based on how good our experience is, compared to all the other screen time experiences from which consumers choose." This is another indication of just how big Fortnite has become. In November 2018, the various versions of Epic's battle royale title had a total of 200 million registered players -- a number that has almost certainly climbed since then.

2. sc5mu93

sc5mu93 [H]Lite

Netflix streaming game service?

3. the-one1

the-one1 2[H]4U

Instead of looking at their content and fixing it, they blame others. Sounds like typical finger pointing.

4. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis 2[H]4U

Blaming means assigning responsibility for a fault or wrong. That isn't what Netflix is doing, they are merely noting that sales have been hurt by increased competition from other entertainment mediums.

5. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

So shocking that gaming (interacive) is overtaking couch potato TV/Movies medium as entertainment. So yeah, after gaming for 8 hours I can relax with a movie for two and fall asleep.

6. purple_monster

purple_monster Limp Gawd

i see two turds, one green and the other yellow, both swirling around the toilet bowl fighting over who gets to go down the drain first.

Armenius likes this.
  7. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

Yeah but you could have had the headline read "Sex points to Fortnite as a Major Competitor" and it'd be equally valid.

8. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

9. illli

illli [H]ard|Gawd

That was my first thought as well. Google, Amazon, Verizon, Nvidia all are working on one. It seems to be the hot, new, thing these days.

10. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Don't forget Sony, MS and that one shadow company.

11. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

Human flaw.

12. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Well, in entertainment what they really are competing for is our money but also our time. So since time is involved, all entertainment sources are competitors for all other entertainment sources and even some non-entertainment sources.

Considering how much time kids spend in Fortnite these days, its hardly surprising that a fan of Fortnite spends less time watching TV/Movies.

RanceJustice likes this.
  13. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

Fortnight wont last forever. Just like wow had its glory days, it'll pass eventually

14. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

Well, I mean there is truth to that, I remember reading in 2008 how the Gaming industry was revenuing more than Hollywood in a year.

When you think about it, What is a better investment of you time? $400 on a console with $60 games that last days to months to years of entertainment, or $60-$100 every time you go see a movie and the entertainment lasts only 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Netflix is great but in reality it's starting to approach WoW sub rates, it depends on people themselves and what they value more.

15. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

That is the thing with gaming though, there is always a new hotness for people to move onto.

16. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

I dont blow $20 a seat on Movies. There are better ways, abet a less "quality" experience.

17. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

Movies is more of a luxury now. I went around two times last year, due to high prices. You get way more for your money thru places like netflix. But netflix won't be worth it, if they don't up quality with their rising prices

18. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Who's blaming or finger pointing?

As part of a shareholder letter, a company like Netflix is expected to share some insights into their competition. All they said was that Fortnite is a bigger competitor for screen time than HBO.

19. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Hm, trucking company pointing at a bus company. Yeah it must be their fault.

20. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

It's Netflix way of saying we are doing great against our direct competitors but we cant do anything about gaming competition. They are giving themselves an out if they need it.

21. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie

Did you read the report? It takes some mental gymnastics to come to that conclusion based on what was stated.

22. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

That's my interpretation, you can interpret it any way you'd like.

23. Lizard Testes

Lizard Testes Gawd

I'd accuse you of only reading the title but at this point I'm not even sure you read that.

Parja likes this.
  24. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

hurry up and kill fortnite so ninja can stop making so much money

25. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

I can see it. You can discriminate between different types of entertainment if you want, but at some point one will cannibalize from the other, even if they aren't exactly the same thing.

Parja likes this.