Netflix Points to Fortnite as Major Competitor

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Netflix's Q4 earnings report is out. The streaming giant said they made $16 billion in revenue and doubled their operating profits to $1.6 billion this year, and they say that growth was fueled by "high member satisfaction." But gamesindustry.biz and other media outlets spotted a particularly interesting comment in the report: Netflix said that they earn about "10% of television screen time" in the US and less for mobile, and say that they "compete with (and lose to) Fortnite more than HBO." In addition to aknowledging the sheer popularity of the battle royale game, Netflix also talked about their interactive Black Mirror episode. As we reported yesterday, Netflix sees huge growth potential in the field of interactive media, and gamesindustry.biz believes producers want to blur the lines between video games and television.

"There are thousands of competitors in this highly fragmented market vying to entertain consumers... Our growth is based on how good our experience is, compared to all the other screen time experiences from which consumers choose." This is another indication of just how big Fortnite has become. In November 2018, the various versions of Epic's battle royale title had a total of 200 million registered players -- a number that has almost certainly climbed since then.

Instead of looking at their content and fixing it, they blame others. Sounds like typical finger pointing.

So shocking that gaming (interacive) is overtaking couch potato TV/Movies medium as entertainment. So yeah, after gaming for 8 hours I can relax with a movie for two and fall asleep.

i see two turds, one green and the other yellow, both swirling around the toilet bowl fighting over who gets to go down the drain first.

Yeah but you could have had the headline read "Sex points to Fortnite as a Major Competitor" and it'd be equally valid.

Well, in entertainment what they really are competing for is our money but also our time. So since time is involved, all entertainment sources are competitors for all other entertainment sources and even some non-entertainment sources.

Considering how much time kids spend in Fortnite these days, its hardly surprising that a fan of Fortnite spends less time watching TV/Movies.

Fortnight wont last forever. Just like wow had its glory days, it'll pass eventually

Well, I mean there is truth to that, I remember reading in 2008 how the Gaming industry was revenuing more than Hollywood in a year.

When you think about it, What is a better investment of you time? $400 on a console with $60 games that last days to months to years of entertainment, or $60-$100 every time you go see a movie and the entertainment lasts only 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

Netflix is great but in reality it's starting to approach WoW sub rates, it depends on people themselves and what they value more.

I dont blow $20 a seat on Movies. There are better ways, abet a less "quality" experience.

Movies is more of a luxury now. I went around two times last year, due to high prices. You get way more for your money thru places like netflix. But netflix won't be worth it, if they don't up quality with their rising prices

Instead of looking at their content and fixing it, they blame others. Sounds like typical finger pointing.

Who's blaming or finger pointing?

As part of a shareholder letter, a company like Netflix is expected to share some insights into their competition. All they said was that Fortnite is a bigger competitor for screen time than HBO.

Hm, trucking company pointing at a bus company. Yeah it must be their fault.

Who's blaming or finger pointing?

As part of a shareholder letter, a company like Netflix is expected to share some insights into their competition. All they said was that Fortnite is a bigger competitor for screen time than HBO.

It's Netflix way of saying we are doing great against our direct competitors but we cant do anything about gaming competition. They are giving themselves an out if they need it.

It's Netflix way of saying we are doing great against our direct competitors but we cant do anything about gaming competition. They are giving themselves an out if they need it.

Did you read the report? It takes some mental gymnastics to come to that conclusion based on what was stated.

hurry up and kill fortnite so ninja can stop making so much money

I can see it. You can discriminate between different types of entertainment if you want, but at some point one will cannibalize from the other, even if they aren't exactly the same thing.

Reactions: Parja
like this
Back