Netflix Is Raising Its Prices Again

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Get ready to pay just a bit more for your Netflix subscription: the streaming video service will be raising prices on its middle and top tier plans in the US starting in November. Subscribers who currently pay for the standard $9.99 service will be charged $10.99. The price of the premium tier will rise from $11.99 to $13.99. Good news for people on the basic $7.99 plan—that price is staying put, for now.

Netflix hasn't announced a major change in pricing since 2014. That increase featured a lengthy grandfathering system that meant many existing customers paid $7.99 until 2016. Netflix tried to institute a system that rolled out its price hikes slowly, giving longtime subscribers plenty of lead time. The intentions may have been good, but the process was confusing. The price change this time around is simple and immediate, particularly compared to its last increase. By December, every Netflix subscriber will be paying the higher price.

[...] Good news for people on the basic $7.99 plan—that price is staying put, for now. [...]

The price change this time around is simple and immediate, particularly compared to its last increase. By December, every Netflix subscriber will be paying the higher price.

This does not compute. Is the $7.99 price sticking around? Or will everyone be paying the higher price by December?

Their show quality is going down while their prices are going up with no added benefit or functionality? I think someone at Netflix may be a bit confused on how things work. Season 2 of Stranger Things better be damn good.

What is the 7.99 plan? I thought i was on the cheapest option.

I wasn't aware the 7.99 plan still existed, at least in Canada. I started on that back in the day, and I'm up to 9.99 now.

Still worth it, IMO. The latest original I watched was American Vandal and that was great.

Their show quality is going down while their prices are going up with no added benefit or functionality? I think someone at Netflix may be a bit confused on how things work. Season 2 of Stranger Things better be damn good.

Content 'producers' have them by the balls. They are the ones limiting the content netflix has access to stream, and raising the prices on them. But the netflix original stuff is mostly really good at least.

Just canceled my service. Mainly due to non use but they don't have enough content release/availability to justify a price increase.

Their movie selection is atrocious nowadays. A bunch of horrendous straight to video/streaming flicks.

I mean it's hard to argue against the value at my house. We have a ton of streaming services and Netflix is the work horse.

Netfilx original content like Daredevil, Ozark, Travelers, Punisher, etc. are well worth $12/month, IMO.

Reactions: Parja
like this
Content 'producers' have them by the balls. They are the ones limiting the content netflix has access to stream, and raising the prices on them. But the netflix original stuff is mostly really good at least.

It would be interesting to see if that's really the case. I don't necessarily agree that everyone has them in that position. Yes they can keep renegotiating for higher rates, especially if the subscriber count for Netflix goes up. But you can really only play ball so much before you strike out. Disney can demand whatever they want, and will probably end up getting it. If you're tuner or another media company, losing revenue from Netflix might have a decent impact to your bottom line. If Netflix decides to drop you, imagine if Comcast or DirecTV follows suit. You could lose half of your revenue stream in a hurry if you're not willing to negotiate. For everyone in the content game, I think things are just heating up more than they ever have. Part of the push for becoming your own content provider is likely to have a way to not get locked out of the market.

Netfilx original content like Daredevil, Ozark, Travelers, Punisher, etc. are well worth $12/month, IMO.

Travelers is a Canadian show, not an original Netflix one as far as I know. It's coming back soon, though! :D Excellent show. I never thought I'd sympathize with a heroin addict, but damn does that dude play a really good part.

I'm going to bitch and moan about it. But, I'll take it like a little bitch. I definitely use it daily and enjoy all the content I do watch. From the original content to the movies they have. Great holiday movie selection, too.

No one likes paying more money for the same shit. I know I'll eventually break and cancel, but that day is not today! They're getting pretty close, though. I think $15/mo is my hard limit.

Come on, the stuff they offer is Pre-HD to begin with. If you like the Andy Griffith show like I do, then the price is fine :)

If they still had the film reels... technically they could make that HD.

Their movie selection is atrocious nowadays. A bunch of horrendous straight to video/streaming flicks.
It was just as bad two years ago. The good stuff is too expensive to license which makes Netflix just another mediocre streaming service with only a handful of good original content.

EVERYONE is always raising their prices again ... it's old news even before it gets typed out in a forum. Remember that old wheel barrel you thought you'd never use again? Better hang on to it; might need it to haul the cash needed to buy a loaf of bread not too long from now ...

Wife and I are watching Person of Interest on Netflix right now. Mid season 3. It's simply excellent!

For those who think there isn't enough content out there to warrant a price increase I don't understand the sentiment. I don't have cable and just watching six month old content new as it makes it Netflix commercial free is well worth it for me. An hour show saves me 20 minutes of commercials to watch on Netflix. That's a big deal! I hate watching shows on live TV due to the commercials alone. Shhhh- don't tell Netflix, but I'd probably be willing to pay 3x what they charge for the convenience they offer.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see if that's really the case. I don't necessarily agree that everyone has them in that position. Yes they can keep renegotiating for higher rates, especially if the subscriber count for Netflix goes up. But you can really only play ball so much before you strike out. Disney can demand whatever they want, and will probably end up getting it. If you're tuner or another media company, losing revenue from Netflix might have a decent impact to your bottom line. If Netflix decides to drop you, imagine if Comcast or DirecTV follows suit. You could lose half of your revenue stream in a hurry if you're not willing to negotiate. For everyone in the content game, I think things are just heating up more than they ever have. Part of the push for becoming your own content provider is likely to have a way to not get locked out of the market.

No, they see it more as netflix is affecting their bottom line in TV subscriptions and people paying 25$ to buy a movie when it's released. Not pay 12$/mo to stream whatever content that comes out.

The next step is each of these content 'creators' starting up their own streaming services like disney/hbo is doing. Which is the wrong fix to the problem. Now people will need to pay 15$/mo for each server, each one using their own shitty coded streaming app, forcing you to switch between apps to watch different shows.

For how much I watch on Netflix i’m fine paying an extra 2 dollars since it’s the only streaming service I’m subscribed to. Disney can kiss my ass if they think I’m going to sign up for their crap.

Wife and I are watching Person of Interest on Netflix right now. Mid season 3. It's simply excellent!

For those who think there isn't enough content out there to warrant a price increase I don't understand the sentiment. I don't have cable and just watching six month old content new as it makes it Netflix commercial free is well worth it for me. An hour show saves me 20 minutes of commercials to watch on Netflix. That's a big deal! I hate watching shows on live TV due to the commercials alone. Shhhh- don't tell Netflix, but I'd probably be willing to pay 3x what they charge for the convenience they offer.

Person of interest was awesome.. I’m sad how hastily it was cancelled since the show still had pretty good ratings. Luckily they were allowed to finish the story but there was much more they could of added to the story.

Last edited:

That is the exact selling point I tell people about when I speak of Netflix, NO COMMERCIALS!!! I don't watch any TV, just wait for it to show up on Netflix if it does. Like you I hate commercials, after NASCAR I definitely hate all GM commercials.

And I watched person of interest and it is awesome, especially the main guy that was also the main for Count of Monte Christo, an awesome must see movie as well.

Eh...sucks but I will probably stick with it for now. I don't use it as much as I used to but they do have some quality original content on there. And I like to re-watch TNG on occasion. :)

Also, Person of Interest is/was a fucking great show.

I still have the option of getting any movie or TV show I want for $0, often sooner and with better quality than on Netflix. I'm not sure what making the legit option even less attractive will accomplish. Not to mention right as many studios are pulling their movie libraries off Netflix.

raising prices right before their most popular series is set to return (Stranger Things) and they know they will get a major uptick in short-term subscriptions...greedy Netflix...at least HBO doesn't raise their prices when Game of Thrones returns..

raising prices right before their most popular series is set to return (Stranger Things) and they know they will get a major uptick in short-term subscriptions...greedy Netflix...at least HBO doesn't raise their prices when Game of Thrones returns..

true but then again HBO fucked themselves since they have to charge the same price for HBO GO as they do for the actual service through cable/sat companies.

they need a 1 screen at a time plan w/ HD for about $8.99. Not everyone has a gaggle of kids needing to share accounts.
FYI their price doesn’t include the ability to have multiple streamers. That was added at no charge.

As long as Netflix + Hulu is cheaper than cable, I don't mind price increases.

FYI their price doesn’t include the ability to have multiple streamers. That was added at no charge.

I'd much rather have the option of HD for "free" then extra streams. non-HD should not even be an option.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
owning a business is not easy, raising the price is understandable, but raising the price but not giving that much back is the problem. If you are going to raise your price, you better have a much bigger library with more movies to choose from, the other problem is company like Disney to say, sorry you don't have permission anymore and will do our own stream services, that I hate. I rather have a one stop shop, pay 1 place that has it all rather than multiple streaming services.

Back