Netflix coming to PS3

yer people cant quite grasp the fact that ms has an installed to a game console deal with netflix for now which is why you have to use a disc lol

Quick question as I have never had Netflix streaming. I have a FIOS 20 down / 5 up connection. Can I stream Blu-ray movies through Netflix to my PS3 (when Netflix is released for the PS3) and still have the same quality as if I had the disc in there?

Quick question as I have never had Netflix streaming. I have a FIOS 20 down / 5 up connection. Can I stream Blu-ray movies through Netflix to my PS3 (when Netflix is released for the PS3) and still have the same quality as if I had the disc in there?

Someone who has a 360 with Netflix is probably more qualified to answer this than I am, but I'm on the free trial right now and there's no option to stream HD or Blu-Ray on PC, or any options whatsoever. Just stream. Quality is excellent though. I'd say just like a regular DVD.

I've been using Netflix streaming movies on my HTPC since it became available in 2007. The streamable "blu-ray" section doesn't stream in blu-ray quality. It adds an amount of compression regardless of how fast your internet is. There are varying levels of compression, but even the best compression will not be blu-ray quality. The quality of the blu-ray section is among the best quality compression of the streamable selections, but still not 720 resolution, not DVD quality, and not better quality than some of the better streaming selections from other sections. The point of the blu-ray section of the online streamable catalogue puzzles me. It's almost like they put it there so stupid people would think they're getting blu-ray quality streaming content.The quality of compression on all of their selections will have a widely varying degree of difference. They range from decent to terrible. I've found that even though Hulu doesn't have good movies like netflix, the quality of Hulu on my TV, is better than 90% of the netflix streaming catalogue. So if a movie or TV series is available, it's preferred to watch it on Hulu.

I've been using Netflix streaming movies on my HTPC since it became available in 2007. The streamable "blu-ray" section doesn't stream in blu-ray quality. It adds an amount of compression regardless of how fast your internet is. There are varying levels of compression, but even the best compression will not be blu-ray quality. The quality of the blu-ray section is among the best quality compression of the streamable selections, but still not 720 resolution, not DVD quality, and not better quality than some of the better streaming selections from other sections. The point of the blu-ray section of the online streamable catalogue puzzles me. It's almost like they put it there so stupid people would think they're getting blu-ray quality streaming content.The quality of compression on all of their selections will have a widely varying degree of difference. They range from decent to terrible. I've found that even though Hulu doesn't have good movies like netflix, the quality of Hulu on my TV, is better than 90% of the netflix catalogue. So if a movie or TV series is available, it's preferred to watch it on Hulu.

Where's the blu ray streaming section? I don't see it :S

Also, I find Netflix to be quite a bit better quality than Hulu streaming :eek:

Some Netflix content streams in HD -- The Office and Lost are two examples.

Not sure what they mean by 'HD', but its nice quality.

This is on the Roku Player.

I've been using Netflix streaming movies on my HTPC since it became available in 2007. The streamable "blu-ray" section doesn't stream in blu-ray quality. It adds an amount of compression regardless of how fast your internet is. There are varying levels of compression, but even the best compression will not be blu-ray quality. The quality of the blu-ray section is among the best quality compression of the streamable selections, but still not 720 resolution, not DVD quality, and not better quality than some of the better streaming selections from other sections. The point of the blu-ray section of the online streamable catalogue puzzles me. It's almost like they put it there so stupid people would think they're getting blu-ray quality streaming content.The quality of compression on all of their selections will have a widely varying degree of difference. They range from decent to terrible. I've found that even though Hulu doesn't have good movies like netflix, the quality of Hulu on my TV, is better than 90% of the netflix streaming catalogue. So if a movie or TV series is available, it's preferred to watch it on Hulu.

I don't think there is blu ray streaming section. Quality varies but I don't see a listing that sorts by resolution. Some material is very good quality....Lost, Heroes, others....on my LG 390 player it sez it's HD but I don't think it's quite there.

it also depends on your broadband connection, if say you had 3 meg or less (majority of UK/not sure what average speed is in US) your only gonna get 480p max streaming. I think with 20 meg youll be fine but it will be no 1080p bluray sound/video quality, not for a long time anyway. Basically the majority of people will only get dvd quality. Im very jealous of those that can stream a higher res!! people with a less than 3 meg connection are not gonna enjoy netflix

Last edited:
i have watched a lot of stuff on netflix streaming, only some stuff is HD, but it looks pretty damn good for streaming content. Its prolly on par with 720p video. Watched the whole Harpers Island mini series on it (which was awesome, it was on netflix a couple of days after it aired, pretty cool shit) and it was in HD. It was only slightly less in quality from watching the actual broadcast in HD.

The non hd stuff can look pretty bad though. I watch this old show called Jeremiah (look it up, its pretty cool sci fi show) and its like trying to watch SD programming. Its more of a deal with the content than the streaming I think though, its still watchable it just looks like crap on a 52inch lcd.

I got netflix just for the streaming but recently added the bluray option (2 dollars more!) so for 12 bucks a month i can stream whatever and get a couple of movies in the mail. Very well worth it.

Will Netflix allow the subscribers to keep the streaming disk in addition to their regular quantity?

For example:
Subscription for 1-dvd at a time unlimited with streaming.
Will the ps3 streaming netflix disc count as my quota and I have to return it to get another movie mailed?

Will Netflix allow the subscribers to keep the streaming disk in addition to their regular quantity?

For example:
Subscription for 1-dvd at a time unlimited with streaming.
Will the ps3 streaming netflix disc count as my quota and I have to return it to get another movie mailed?

Hmmm of course not, that would.. not make any sense at all. You keep the disc after they send it

For the record- There is no blu-ray section on Netflix for streaming. The only blu-ray or blu-ray quality movies you will get are from blu-ray discs. I don't know if everyone is joking or not about blu-ray streaming unless you mean the blu-ray streaming disc. The blu-ray streaming disc is nothing more than a BD-Live disc that allows you to connect, via the internet, to Netflix to access their Instant Watch content. Again, the disc will be temporary until they make the embedded app available via PSN.

As far as streaming HD content, that would depend on what movies and TV shows they have in HD and if your connection can allow it.

The streaming disc just got mailed to me, will be here tomorrow :D

Let us know how it goes, I'm really interested. I didn't realize this was coming so soon, so I just went on Netflix's site and ordered my disc. Hope they send it soon :). When mine arrives, I'll compare it with Roku's player and letcha all know my opinion.

Last edited:
Keep us update with the quality... I'm interested in signing up with netflix.

MInes supposed to deliver tomorrow as well. Too bad I don't live where its being delivered to.

when you clicked to be added, did it say "shipping out tomorrow"?
I just did it and it said will ship when available later this year.

When I first clicked, it said it will ship when it delivers later this year. Now that I have a disc being sent. http://www.netflix.com/PS3 links me to a site that says when it was delivered and offers an input box for a code (that the ps3 is supposed to give me when I enter the disc, and a activate button.

when you clicked to be added, did it say "shipping out tomorrow"?
I just did it and it said will ship when available later this year.

You could reserve your copy when they first announced it. Maybe you'll have to wait a bit because you just added it? Not sure

oh well. It will come at some point. I have a 360, but the woman yells at me when I take it to friends to lan. "I want my netflix when Im left alone". I think there may be some growls in there too :D.
Im just happy that the ps3 is finally getting it.
Im sure that it will probably come sat or monday. The ps3 site says it should come a day or so after you click link.

can someone let me know if remote play works on the psp for netflix as that would be pretty sweet, im not sure it will work on the disc based version. But Netflix anytime anywhere has my mouth watering!

Some Netflix content streams in HD -- The Office and Lost are two examples.

Not sure what they mean by 'HD', but its nice quality.

This is on the Roku Player.

Their HD quality is not nearly as good as 480p on Hulu lol. Seriously, I pay for Netflix, yet I don't ever stream for that reason alone. They never have new episodes of anything and selections is limited to say the least.

Their HD quality is not nearly as good as 480p on Hulu lol. Seriously, I pay for Netflix, yet I don't ever stream for that reason alone. They never have new episodes of anything and selections is limited to say the least.

On a global scale you are mistaken. Netflix streams HD in 720p. Now you might be in an area that for whatever reason you have a horrible connection to a streaming server. It could also be that you are streaming using your computer. No HD streams from netflix on the computer right now.

i thought many on this forum touted 1080p streaming/instant streaming. ive had a good luck on the net and cant find anything concrete, is it the same quality as bluray or not?

i thought many on this forum touted 1080p streaming/instant streaming. ive had a good luck on the net and cant find anything concrete, is it the same quality as bluray or not?

Not anywhere close. You'd need... like a government line to be able to stream 1080p probably

Yea, we're not seeing that level of streaming for a while. However, at least the 360 has pretty good quality. Especially with the newer stuff.

QFT - I streamed Netflix to both my PC and 360 and watched all seasons of The Office and it was 100x better than Hulu's crap.

Yea, Hulu is pretty poor quality, but that's what you get for free. Although Hulu carries more recent releases that usually aren't on netflix yet.

Yea, Hulu is pretty poor quality, but that's what you get for free. Although Hulu carries more recent releases that usually aren't on netflix yet.

Very true and that is why I quit streaming Netflix. They weren't adding content frequently enough for me. I went back to Blockbuster as I have found, that for my family, that exchanging my rentals at a bricks and mortar store is of much more use that streaming the outdated crap.

Very true and that is why I quit streaming Netflix. They weren't adding content frequently enough for me. I went back to Blockbuster as I have found, that for my family, that exchanging my rentals at a bricks and mortar store is of much more use that streaming the outdated crap.

your putting me off netflix now!!

It will probably never be the same quality as packaged media. We just don't have the pipes for it. Even if it's streamed at 1080P (and this goes for 1080i/720P as well), the bitrate is lower in comparison to packaged media (obviously).

Here's some interesting info from the CEA just released that supports the info...

The growth trends in home video are going to be Blu-ray, VOD (Video on Demand) and EST (electronic transactions). Digital Copy will gradually evolve such that everyone will eventually have a "locker in the cloud" where they can store digital movie files they've purchased, and all of a person's consumer media devices will be able to "reach up into that cloud" to access the material. The "locker" will also provide security against data loss. But for the foreseeable future, none of this will have the quality level of Blu-ray and avid movie fans and collectors will continue to prefer the physical product. A key idea is to do more bundling, so when you purchase the Blu-ray you also get a DVD and some kind of portable digital version.

Fascinating info!

What's the point of buying a BR to get a DVD copy?

Back