Net Neutrality expected to be reinstated after officials vote on 4/25/2024

I do not live in the US, in my country net neutrality stopped being enforced by the government. So what happened to the consumer?

I have a 1Gb/400Mb connection, if I access Netflix, Google, Microsoft or Steam it's all good I mostly get those speeds.
Now if I stray from the path and say connect to my VPN, I would get around 300Mb/s and now I get 30~80Mb/s.
If I send a file to someone on a different ISP I used to get 100~200Mbs of upload, now I get around 10Mb/s
Heck the other day I was setting up a project and the initial build was taking forever, 20mins instead of 1~2mins my colleague on a Net Neutrality country was experiencing. Turns out my download speed of a github subdomain was again around 10 Mbit/s.

(This was observed also by other friends and colleagues that depend on internet for remote work. It also depends on ISP as some are more aggressive than others on the throttling.)

So, on my side of the pond, the removal or un-enforcement of Net Neutrality had a significant effect in my day to day use of the internet.

I should point out, I "liked" your post because I agree with your take, and appreciate the data point, NOT because I am happy you have to deal with this shit.

(I am sorry you have to deal with this shit)

We're from the government and we're here to help. Most of you should know well enough that with very few exceptions everything a bureaucracy as big and convoluted as the US government gets involved with gets worse not better.

We're from the government and we're here to help. Most of you should know well enough that with very few exceptions everything a bureaucracy as big and convoluted as the US government gets involved with gets worse not better.

Just because people repeat this a lot and want it to be true because it suits their political and/or financial agenda doesn't mean that it is actually true.

Government can be, and is very effective in very many cases. When you see a regulation that is bad, fight to make it better, not to remove it.

You just can t under-fund it to the point where it cant do its job right, and then use that as an excuse to under-fund it even more or cancel it outright. That is a sure fire way to make the fallacy that government always fails a reality.

Last edited:
Just because people repeat this a lot and want it to be true because it suits their political and/or financial agenda doesn't mean that it is actually true.

Government can be, and is very effective in very many cases. When you see a regulation that is bad, fight to make it better, not to remove it.

You just can t under-fund it to the point where it cant do its job right, and then use that as an excuse to under-fund it even more or cancel it outright. That is a sure fire way to make the fallacy that government always fails a reality.

Man, AS a government employee (Department of Veteran Affairs), I cannot agree with you enough. There is nothing more frustrating than having Congress write pie-in-the-sky aspirational requirements for your department, have them refuse to come even close to adequately funding those requirements, and then complain how the system just doesn't work because of "gubmint" and needs to be privatized. No shit! You set it up deliberately to fail. See Also: USPS Retirement Fund

As I said there are a very few exceptions. I'll point that it get's worse before it gets better, essentially what you're saying, is also often used and generally untrue. I honestly prefer a government that is deadlocked and can accomplish little to nothing outside the necessary and net neutrality is not even on the radar of necessary. Once they can do the work well that they've already assigned themselves we can discuss taking on more work.

Whats to prevent google or apple from releasing an ‘affordable’ 8k, 8.2 surround audio device that sucks up all the neutral bandwidth and boxes out everything else? Not Net Neutrality as its low energy explanation of no priorities for sure.

What if 30% of customers have that hypothetical device and are kicking the other 70% square in the crotch? What do the ISP’s tell that PAYING 70% who are getting hosed? Sucks for you?

This is not technical, merely something to think about before anyone falls for fluffy wording. Sure they could do this now, but at least there’s a mechanism to remedy that the government (two gears, stop and reverse) are glacial in its response. The a-holes can’t even stop spam calls…

Whats to prevent google or apple from releasing an ‘affordable’ 8k, 8.2 surround audio device that sucks up all the neutral bandwidth and boxes out everything else? Not Net Neutrality as its low energy explanation of no priorities for sure.
Who cares? You paid for the bandwidth, and if you use it then that's your right. If your ISP can't handle it then it's up to them to upgrade their infrastructure. Just a reminder, the US is far behind countries like South Korea.
What if 30% of customers have that hypothetical device and are kicking the other 70% square in the crotch? What do the ISP’s tell that PAYING 70% who are getting hosed? Sucks for you?
STFU and upgrade your infrastructure. If you don't, then I'll go to your competitor. Assuming I have that option in America. Probably not.
This is not technical, merely something to think about before anyone falls for fluffy wording. Sure they could do this now, but at least there’s a mechanism to remedy that the government (two gears, stop and reverse) are glacial in its response. The a-holes can’t even stop spam calls…
As someone who has a degree in networking I feel dumber reading this. If your service can't handle the data that it was advertised to do, then you need to upgrade your infrastructure. The only reason this would be a problem is because you expect your customers to hardly use the advertised speeds for as long as you'd expect them to. Bandwidth isn't a limited resource. You can in fact get more of it. The only reason they won't is because they're an oligopoly.

View: https://youtu.be/0ilMx7k7mso?si=HpjJaB2NOB3TASI9

Who cares? You paid for the bandwidth, and if you use it then that's your right. If your ISP can't handle it then it's up to them to upgrade their infrastructure. Just a reminder, the US is far behind countries like South Korea.

STFU and upgrade your infrastructure. If you don't, then I'll go to your competitor. Assuming I have that option in America. Probably not.

As someone who has a degree in networking I feel dumber reading this. If your service can't handle the data that it was advertised to do, then you need to upgrade your infrastructure. The only reason this would be a problem is because you expect your customers to hardly use the advertised speeds for as long as you'd expect them to. Bandwidth isn't a limited resource. You can in fact get more of it. The only reason they won't is because they're an oligopoly.

View: https://youtu.be/0ilMx7k7mso?si=HpjJaB2NOB3TASI9

I don’t disagree with you at all, but as mentioned here, there are a lot of places you don’t really have a choice. Now if the bureaucrats want to impress me, increase competition in states. As for you feeling dumber, thats on you. I’ve been in IT for 25 years. Upgrading the infrastructure is gonna cost money that gets passed on to the consumer. Who is winning here?

I see net neutrality as a good thing, I don't want large multinationals getting bandwidth priority over someone downloading a large file - The net should be neutral.

As it is, where I'm located, I notice that of an evening streaming services stream just fine while speedtests highlight that my bandwidth is adequate and I'm getting the speeds I pay for (apparently) - Yet bandwidth when gaming, or bandwidth when downloading a large OS update of an evening is literally at dial up speeds; indicating that the speed test simply isn't correct.

As far as I can tell, the speedtest is getting priority over the download, just like the streaming service is getting priority over the download. Which isn't the service I pay for.

It's very difficult for a small startup to swoop in and disrupt a market when that market is so infrastructure dependent. It is very expensive to run cable and switching on a community infrastructure scale. That, and the existing players have means to lock them out. If Comcast and/or Verizon own all the poles - for instance, unless there is regulation to prevent them from doing so, they can effectively block anyone who tries to move in by not granting them permission to use the poles. There is lots of stuff like this.
Peering agreements and stuff like that can also make it kind of difficult to enter. The largest companies might own many routes, though not sure is it's as big of an issue today. They can probably come up with all kinds of BS reasons, too, like "you haven't taken these or these precautions, so we can't allow you to connect to us", or some other long list.

The top ISPs like Comcast, Verizon, etc are also apparently frequently in meetings with each other. I think startup ISPs are only going to mostly be present in rural districts, which means they might just eventually get bought out by the big players anyway. It's not some rising dragon story because you're not visually doing anything all that different from the big ISPs, as far as consumers are concerned. To be a serious contender, you would probably have to be a company that's already wildly successful in another arena. IE someone like Apple or Microsoft at the bottom line. I think Google attempted to be an ISP, although I'm not sure what came of that.

I don’t disagree with you at all, but as mentioned here, there are a lot of places you don’t really have a choice. Now if the bureaucrats want to impress me, increase competition in states. As for you feeling dumber, thats on you. I’ve been in IT for 25 years. Upgrading the infrastructure is gonna cost money that gets passed on to the consumer. Who is winning here?
If only we gave them money to do upgrade their infrastructure, and then they go and use it for Stock buy backs. This is a common problem with ISPs in that they get paid with tax payer dollars to improve their infrastructure and then don't. I don't feel bad that it costs money. There's no sympathy here. The internet isn't a series of tubes.

It took a guy in a black shirt but comcast eventually fixed the Internet at our house, the tap as at the end of my driveway and they had to fish a new one under my driveway but since then it has worked perfectly for the last 6 years. Time between repeated bitching and resolution was about 3 red shirt visits over 60 days then black shirt man came and said yep, need new one of those and set the work order up right then and there and the very next week all the goons with spray paint redecorated my driveway and the week after that they brought the ditch witch and laid the new cable. Then mr black shirt fished it up from where it goes from direct burial to not direct burial straight up to the modem. He had a name but it's been a while. The only con was despite it being marked with bright pink spray paint they hit the control wires to the valves box for our sprinklers. They dragged their feet until I sued them then they gave me my $900 it cost to fix it.

The spray paint goons and flag fags are back though because FIBER IS FINALLY COMING HERE after some redneck places getting it first. I think it's because of the new smaller megachurch that they built a mile down the street being a reason to connect the top of the bigass hill to the bottom of it instead of the gap between the top and where AR-10 is and continues onto the schools down there to the west. By the end of the month I should have 5gbps up and down to serve across my 10gbps lan and then cackle when the wife and I can download games from steam at 2.5 gbps apiece. Usually it's a big deal when the speed goes up by 50% or more but this time it's going up 5x in the download and 125x faster upload.

Last edited:
If only we gave them money to do upgrade their infrastructure, and then they go and use it for Stock buy backs. This is a common problem with ISPs in that they get paid with tax payer dollars to improve their infrastructure and then don't. I don't feel bad that it costs money. There's no sympathy here. The internet isn't a series of tubes.
That amount of difference people make from a company making a stop buyback vs a divident was always quite strange.

Comcast give 4-5B a year in dividends as well... why the other look specially at buy backs here ? Outside some option of timing your gain for the stockholder that can have tax advantage what the difference ?

Maybe dividends are easier to understand by readers thus harder to create narrative from.

After saying the provider company profit rised, outside a very small one, none seem to have done so after inflation and some are done quite a bit.

Just look at this sentence:
in 2021 AT&T still posted almost 90 billion in profits. This was on the heels of repurchasing $67 million in stock in 2020

Are we supposed to found that 67 millions of stock buyback for a company the size of AT&T is a lot ? They gave $15 billion in dividend that year in comparison....

That amount of difference people make from a company making a stop buyback vs a divident was always quite strange.

Comcast give 4-5B a year in dividends as well... why the other look specially at buy backs here ? Outside some option of timing your gain for the stockholder that can have tax advantage what the difference ?

Maybe dividends are easier to understand by readers thus harder to create narrative from.

After saying the provider company profit rised, outside a very small one, none seem to have done so after inflation and some are done quite a bit.

Just look at this sentence:
in 2021 AT&T still posted almost 90 billion in profits. This was on the heels of repurchasing $67 million in stock in 2020

Are we supposed to found that 67 millions of stock buyback for a company the size of AT&T is a lot ? They gave $15 billion in dividend that year in comparison....
I think an issue is that, while dividends for the benefit of shareholders to the exclusion of worker, customer and other stakeholders are frustrating in their own right and deserve to be critiqued, stock buybacks have to do with adjusting the perceived books and value of the company in a way that dividends do not. In general, if your company pays dividends to shareholders, that's money going "out", as opposed to say... refusing to or cutting down dividends to reinvest for the company itself which is seen as value coming "in". Likewise, stock buybacks, while they do take an investment, the way they and the resulting holding of assets are handled, increases the value of the company and look to be percived as money coming "in". A way this becomes frustrating is when say... a company claims they can't provide raises, that union(izing) demand are exorbitant, that they HAVE to raise prices, lower support, outsource, do some other worker or customer unfriendly thing.... but it was found out that money they could have easily used to provide that, was instead sequestered in a recent stock buyback , allowing the company to shrug and pull out its pockets "Oh I'm cash poor!" while ALSO being able to increase their capital and/or appraisal of the stock and overall company books, which they can spin into future position for loans as now the company looks like its books have less debts and the value of the stock it now holds goes up as well.

So its not that the way the company profits in and of itself, or that dividends aren't an issue (its a simple yet often accurate critique when a company does something that benefits stock prices/dividends/other shareholder value at the cost of others involved) , but that buybacks are often used for a particular (some would say swindle) business decision and an obfuscation that allows plausible deniability while weaving a legal fiction in a way that people are rightly frustrated continues to happen.

ISPs can charge extra for fast gaming under FCC’s Internet rules, critics say​

FCC plan rejected request to ban what agency calls "positive" discrimination.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...gaming-under-fccs-internet-rules-critics-say/
I think its good to read what was placed here. First, its important to note that mobile ISPs, 5G etc....have never been defined under "broadband", and have always been able to get away with prioritization, zero rating, and other bad behavior going back ages because of this. I grant this is absolutely a situation that needs to be resolved, but lots of concern over 5G, mobile and the like isn't related to this at all , ever since it was determined that "broadband ISP" are basically those using cables in the ground, not those with broadcasting towers which operate under other rules. Don't get me wrong, I think its worth placing them both under sthe same category especially because we're now seeing with increasing demand for mobile ISPs (ie TMobile 5G home internet) and just the technical thoroughput of modern wireless getting faster and with less latency issues, but I am absolutely sure that any claim to demand that mobile companies also adhere to net neutrality regulations will have three times the whining and misinformation that we see now with this, as they claim that neutrality would mean the end of all cell phone service or whatever other wrist-to-forehead nonsense.

That said, the article itself mentions that it isn't so much that they don't consider that "positive discrimination" isn't a problem, but rather that IF that's a problem its already covered in the language of the bill as it stands. Those who are worried about massive gov't overreach or whatnot (regardless of the merit of that related to net neutrality) should be happy that they're taking a case by case basis to decide if some circumstance is standard reasonable QoS, or if its being used to force an upsell to a more expensive package by degrading the experience for those without it. I'd prefer if they made stronger regulations to stop the potential for corporate entities to try to poke holes until they found out exacty how much they could get away with, but I don't think its right to frame this as some sort of "Any attempt do do anything to cut down on bad behavior shouldn't be done, because it won't be perfect". That kind of argument is often used by the disengenous who really don't want to do anything in the first place and often hav vested interests against it. If someone's really worried about this, then the thing to do is add the net neutrality policy now, because without it there's NO ability for the FCC to step in on behavior against policy in a wide group of circumstances including those mentioned here. If we need to critique some individual ruling on prioritization or whatnot fine, cross that bridge when we come to it, but they can't rule nearly as widely on circumstances now nd the companies are more than happy to take advantage of that, even worse on mobile.

I'd favor even stronger language against even so called "positive" priortization (which by being a zero sum game means somewhere else is negatively affected) and including mobile/celluar/tower ISPs under the same Net Neutrality provisions as buried or strung cable-based ISPs, but that doesn't mean that the proposal now is compromised or a bad idea etc. If anything its a step in the right direction; it doesn't have to be the last one either, but I am very skeptical of framing that we shouldn't take the first (or continue after) because they'd rather give the appearance of pretending to worry about some hypothetical, letting perfect be the enemy of good, and thereby lead to their true objective - stop "good" in the first place without having to own that decision by their actual motivation.

if your company pays dividends to shareholders, that's money going "out",
Stock buy back, money goes out and to the same people, no ?
A way this becomes frustrating is when say... a company claims they can't provide raises, that union(izing) demand are exorbitant, that they HAVE to raise prices, lower support, outsource, do some other worker or customer unfriendly thing.... but it was found out that money they could have easily used to provide that, was instead sequestered in a recent stock buyback
How any of it would be different if they had spent the same money going to the same people has a dividend instead of a buyback ?

Stock buy back, money goes out and to the same people, no ?
Money goes out, but who it benefits both individually and in terms of the corporations a whole and how, can differ depending on many things. There's also differences between common and preferred shares, voting rights, if its public vs private etc.
How any of it would be different if they had spent the same money going to the same people has a dividend instead of a buyback ?
Even if you assume that the shares are all equal in type (ie just owning common stock you bought on your robinhood account doesn't mean that you're entitled to dividends the way that preferred stock held by the board/C-levels are, for exampe) and were qualified for hypothetical dividends, the difference is how it affects the company and how they, and their books look afterward. If the company puts out dividends, its shown on their books as money going "out", they're spending money. Compare this to if they instead of issuing those dividends to shareholders, used that money for a number of other things. Many of those things, such as paying off debts basicaly "look good" from an investment standpoing that the company is strong - it doesn't have a lot of debt, it has the cash it can spend to do the buyback etc... al of theses things both lead to increasing the value of the stock itself in many cases (not counting how one of the options is to essentially "write off" stock that used to be held by others and now the company owns again, so the value of all existing stock increases proportionally) because the company appears more desirable. Now with big shiny ledgers that show that the company has made a lot of decisions that appear to strengthen the company, they can go to a big bank somewhere and say "Look how strong we are, clearly we're in a position that you can extend to us, in a very public way, exemplary terms of credit in light of all this" and their books look strong, they get the banking and investment community to see them as a good bet etc..that they can spin into greater valuation of capital and growth, which keeps it going. Buying back that stock puts the company (or at least is appeared to signal) in a stronger position, though some may be more of a recursive "because you did this you are showing off you had the money and judgement to do it, so we value you higher as worth/can access more money" sort of thing.

A lot of it comes down to the various legal and financial fictions , but basically elsewhere in the community taking money to do a stock buyback is different from just dividends in that the buyback tends to grow the value of the company in a way that a dividends do not necessarily do. Its a performative gesture that shows the company can afford to buy stock off the public market, that is looked favorably by the investment community. The particulars come down to the individual circumstance and a lot of things going on, but generally its the difference between using your lottery winnings to pay off our mortgage, which then sets you up to take a loan against your now unencumbered property at great terms in order to "flip" a house across the street and invest the rest of it unneeded into mutual funds, as opposed to just taking your winnings and using it to mortgage the biggest mansion you can and lease fancy cars for your family members. Not an exact parallel, but the former gives the appearance of being way more fiscally adroit in your planning. Now , its also possible that your plan to renovate the house to "flip" was a stupid money pit, and you can definitely screw up that too, but the bank would be more likely to give you the loan at all if you paid off your mortgage rather than just using all your cash to buy a brand new mansion and cars, both of which may turn out to be underwater, when you didn't even pay off your mortgage first.!

Last edited:
(ie just owning common stock you bought on your robinhood account doesn't mean that you're entitled to dividends the way that preferred stock held by the board/C-levels are, for exampe)
But the question was about that point that was made:
. a company claims they can't provide raises, that union(izing) demand are exorbitant, that they HAVE to raise prices, lower support, outsource, do some other worker or customer unfriendly thing.... but it was found out that money they could have easily used to provide that, was instead sequestered in a recent stock buyback

Why and how would it be less frustrating if the exact same amount of money went to the same people with a dividend instead of buyback ? Because more tax would have been paid at that moment ? Sometime for something like that there seem to be obviously zero difference, but people use or point to one or the other a bit like magnets instead of rope in a infinite engine design because the readers does not understand.

Yes some stockholder can prefer the signal of company that do buyback instead of dividends because of the current tax implication for them and can be ready to pay more because of it, meaning it cost less to make people as happy than with dividend.

Could be a typo but when an author talk about the cost of opportunity of a company that did 67 millions of stock buyback vs 15 billions of Dividends the year before and just talk about the buyback, there seem to be some hype-brainwashing about the very small level of difference between the 2.

Last edited:
But the question was about that point that was made:
. a company claims they can't provide raises, that union(izing) demand are exorbitant, that they HAVE to raise prices, lower support, outsource, do some other worker or customer unfriendly thing.... but it was found out that money they could have easily used to provide that, was instead sequestered in a recent stock buyback

Why and how would it be less frustrating if the exact same amount of money went to the same people with a dividend instead of buyback ? Because more tax would have been paid at that moment ? Sometime for something like that there seem to be obviously zero difference, but people use or point to one or the other a bit like magnets instead of rope in a infinite engine design because the readers does not understand.

Yes some stockholder can prefer the signal of company that do buyback instead of dividends because of the current tax implication for them and can be ready to pay more because of it, meaning it cost less to make people as happy than with dividend.
Oh I grant that people who are upset about only one and not the other for some reason, all other things being equal, doesn't seem rational. However, in the framing about how it makes people angry in the situation I postulated (choice to do something like a stock buyback or dividends, at the expense of worker, customer, product quality etc..), they'd absolutely be angry if it was dividends as well. However, its not as easily defensible and fewer "acceptable" excuses about that. If you decide to make a big dividend right when you tell your employees that you have to fire half of them and cut benefits for the rest, its pretty obvious that you're betting hard on the shareholder well being damn the rest, and its easy and often accurate to levy al the accusations one expects from that behavior at management if they're doing so. Stock buybacks have as I said, plausible deniability - they give the appearance (accurate or otherwise) of long term thinking about something besides immediate quarterly projections and shareholder profits. It offers a theoretical longer term good for "the company" as an institution - you're buying back all those shares, which puts the company in a better position on its books etc. Its not just "I'm sorry, we can't really afford a health plan that covers illness, we needed to give our shareholders a big payday" but presented as "I'm sorry,we all* (subjective meaning to all) have to tighten our belts in order to put the company in a better position for the upcoming year Hey, if we do this right we'lll get a higher valuation so why don't we circle back to this next fiscal year and see what's possible then".

Now, it very well may be that thanks to other considerations this also functions as major payout to remaining shareholders, especially those likely to be either institutional investors or the company leadership, by means of both A) now each remaining share is worth more proportionally given the reduction in the amount of total shares outstanding since the others were repurchased by the company and B) the buyback signals to the market the company's strength which may increase the share value in that metric as well . While this may be either a primary motivation and/or a major consideration, it can be cloaked in more altruistic supposed justification , which is frustrating n its own right for those workers or other stakeholders negatively affected as the company leadership can say "Oh you just can't see the big picture, we're doing this for the company's future and we just cant AFFORD to ______ after such an expenditure. I really think you're being unrealistic asking us to ____ and not showing the team spirit we make it a focus to cultivate here at _____" , or something similar. I think that's a reason that it tends to incense people as much as , or perhaps even more in some circumstances as paying dividends because of the plausible deniability and framing that lets those making the decisions come out obfuscating greed or other self-interest, and abetted by a financial industry that nods and asserts these were responsible decisions.

That's my understanding anyway of why people often find it objectionable. Now, its clearly possible that a stock buyback could be in the interest of the company overall and could even be done without negatively affecting the workers, customers, product quality etc. (While a comparative bordering on extreme rarity today, there are companies where the executives and other management forego bonuses, raises, other compensation or even take a pay cut to defend negative outcomes from affecting other stakeholders; Japan used to have a variation of this with relative frequency, but it has attenuated since the end of their boom years) , but when people point to a company that claims they can't do something beneficial for those groups yet spend a n often greater amount on dividends or a stock buyback, that's was different circumstance that people are understandably frustrated to witness.

The vote passes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/25/technology/fcc-net-neutrality-open-internet.html

"In a 3-to-2 vote along party lines, the five-member commission appointed by President Biden revived the rules that declare broadband a utility-like service regulated like phones and water. The rules also give the F.C.C. the ability to demand broadband providers report and respond to outages, as well as expand the agency’s oversight of the providers’ security issues."

But of course.

"Broadband providers are expected to sue to try to overturn the reinstated rules."

of course.

"Broadband providers are expected to sue to try to overturn the reinstated rules."

I don't think they have much of a leg to stand on. Title II of the Communications act is pretty solid.

The biggest threat to overturning this (again) will be a change in who controls the federal government.

I think it is likely we will see this one flip-flop back and forth for decades every time the White House changes hands.

Last edited:
I don't think they have much of a leg to stand on. Title II of the Communications act is pretty solid.

The biggest threat to pverturning this (again) will be a change in who controls the federal government.

I think it is likely we will see this one flip-flom back and forth for decades every time the White House changes hands.
With the way things are going I see Trump winning. Enjoy it while it lasts.

With the way things are going I see Trump winning. Enjoy it while it lasts.
I don't want to be permabanned, so I really can't comment on the substance of what you said. I've learned the house rules after being warned a few times. I'll just say I'm uncomfortable right now.

Back