• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Nehalem Previewed and Benchmarked

Well, I think Gideon has a point about single-threaded performance. Most applications that people run on a day-to-day basis will not be affected. I don't think many people were like "wow, Q6600 made my Firefox run and load webpages faster!" It will essentially be pretty similar to most other processors, for quite a large portion of people. So, there really is not much to be excited about. I will be getting one to replace my current PC, because I'm a few generations behind, but I don't expect to be wow-ed either.

That said, Intel seems to have done a pretty decent job coming out with new products, and that's something that I can be happy about, although, at this point, if they were to make any more changes to the processor, I'd ask for even lower power consumption, given a choice between power consumption and performance.
 
Well, I think Gideon has a point about single-threaded performance. Most applications that people run on a day-to-day basis will not be affected. I don't think many people were like "wow, Q6600 made my Firefox run and load webpages faster!" It will essentially be pretty similar to most other processors, for quite a large portion of people. So, there really is not much to be excited about. I will be getting one to replace my current PC, because I'm a few generations behind, but I don't expect to be wow-ed either.

That said, Intel seems to have done a pretty decent job coming out with new products, and that's something that I can be happy about, although, at this point, if they were to make any more changes to the processor, I'd ask for even lower power consumption, given a choice between power consumption and performance.

The locked down 2.66Ghz pre-production "Nehalem" creams the 3.2Ghz XQ9775 today!
On a pre-production crippled motherboard with no PCI-E and bunked memory channels!

And you call it "decent"?
Did you call the Core 2 "decent" too?
 
Wow Ramon you like to assume alot dont ya. IMC will improve the numbers, but Intel may not have hammered the IMC out fully. And to know this we need benchmarks that are memory intensive as well to see that. If you think my knowledge lacks then go to Scientia's site and read his blog, he breaks it down quite nicely.

Gideon, you FAIL at logic and reasoning.

Scali2 hit everything already dead on.

This is pre pre pre production stuff that Anand had to work with. One board showed no difference between single channel & tri-channel performance. (ie: obviously something was not set up correctly) PCIe wasn't working properly, etc..

Even with these EARLY pre-production parts the chip was often 25% faster.
 
Well, I think Gideon has a point about single-threaded performance. Most applications that people run on a day-to-day basis will not be affected. I don't think many people were like "wow, Q6600 made my Firefox run and load webpages faster!" It will essentially be pretty similar to most other processors, for quite a large portion of people. So, there really is not much to be excited about. I will be getting one to replace my current PC, because I'm a few generations behind, but I don't expect to be wow-ed either.

That said, Intel seems to have done a pretty decent job coming out with new products, and that's something that I can be happy about, although, at this point, if they were to make any more changes to the processor, I'd ask for even lower power consumption, given a choice between power consumption and performance.

If you just need a "surfing box" thats what Atom is for. Think about 2+- watts (for CPU) for all your surfing needs. Though I'd wait for the next revision when its dual-core + HT. This (Nehalem) isn't a chip for your grandma's PC. Nearly anything will do if you're just talking about an office, email, internet box where you just need single threaded on cache action. SO you could just pick ANY Intel chip (Celeron, Pentium, Core 2, etc), or nearly any VIA chip, or any AMD chip, etc.
 
Absolutely incredible...looks like im going to have to upgrade my motherboard...again.
 
the thing i am most excited about is the return of hyperthreading!
 
Back
Top