Need to learn exchange server fast

Scotch77

Gawd
I need to learn Exchange Server 2003 very fast, does anybody recommend any good books, or ways to learn this. I also dont really know windows server stuff either.

petri.co.il has provided me some very good tips on setting up Ex2003
- also had some great tips on adding info to the active directory (detailed logon info on a right click of the user account)

Me = college student.

This is a Job that will pay $24/hr.

Belive me Im going to make them at least think I know Exchange and other stuff by Tuesday.

I just interviewed a person who on their resume said that they were an MCSE:Messaging. During the phone interview I asked some simple basic, something that anyone who has worked with any MS server would know, question, and only one was right. If you have never worked with Exchange, i don't recommend applying for the job, the person conducting the interview will know

IMHO

Yeah really... and even if you did get the job, what or how would you tell the man that you can't do the job? Although if you do learn Exchange really quick then good for you, if you are a quick learner. But I wouldn't want to tell my boss I wasn't able to perform the task I was hired for. It probably won't be comfortable :)

I work on databases remotely and you wouldnt imagine the "DBA's" that we have to help write simple sql queries.

I asked a guy to send me a backup of his database and he said he didnt know how and I asked to speak to the dba and he said "dont patronize me, Im a microsoft certified DBA"

At that point all you can do is wonder why you're the one assisting people that arent half as smart as you, but make 3 times what you do.

Scotch77 said:
Me = college student.

This is a Job that will pay $24/hr.

Belive me Im going to make them at least think I know Exchange and other stuff by Tuesday.
Any company that allows a college student to touch their Exchange machine gets what they deserve. Most places around won't let people anywhere near their core servers without a few years of AD management under their belt.

Alot of people today are getting out of college, and some even High School, taking the MCSE exams, getting their cert, but have never have spent time in a production enviroment. I recently had to rebuild a network for a client whos IT manager thought that he would install exchange, create a couple of email accts and that would be it. Instead, he went to some forums, looked at some websites, opened a relay and was getting about 10,000 spam passed through his server an hr. Now he is blacklisted by everyone, I have the job of cleaning up the mess.He brought down his DC at 10am, (no secondary DC) started to reimage it, messed that up.

people don't take this the wrong way, but when I see that someone has all of the current certs, and is pretty young, i question about the "real world" experience. I started at the bottom of pile at Intel, and have worked my way up. My sig says it all

Everything said is very very true!

a c ertification paper means SHIT! all it meqans is you can read a book, and write down the answers when you get tested.

Companies want real world experience.

In the case of my exchange deal, it was for one email account, our previous exchange crashed, the last person who set it up didnt do it right, no backup systems NOTHING.

i did cram, but i didnt just leave it, i was literelaly awake for a week straight cause i was so interested in learning.

i read all i could absorb, asked for help, i didnt put it into production until i know it worked and was secure.

Even to today, i still read that web site and check things over to make sure i did it right, and soon i am doing to be redoing the exchange onto some new hardware, that will be fun.

But the worst you can do is cram to get a job cause the first time he asks you how you do this or that, and you have to tell him "um, wait, i need to go read a forum" your screwed.

Also, what if the person interviewing you DOES know exchange well, but just simply wants someone else to manage it, then your really screwed.

Back