Need replacement for Seasonic TX-850 with better OCP for 3090

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Bottom line: this PSU (Seasonic Prime TX-850 Titanium) just can handle the 3090. OCP keeps tripping randomly regardless of load and I have to reset the PSU at the switch to get my system back.

This is a known issue with certain PSUs and the 3090.

Should I go to a Seasonic Prime 1000 watt Platinum or other brand? I’d like to be able to OC a bit but this 850, isn’t cutting it because of the OCP protection issue.

I have an OCed 5800X and an OCed 3090 FTW3U that does fine on a TX1000. I would think the 850 would be good. Maybe it's faulty? Did you reach out to seasonic? Their customer service was pretty great. I had an issue with mine buzzing after the pc was shut down and they replaced it.

Last edited:
Bottom line: this PSU (Seasonic Prime TX-850 Titanium) just can handle the 3090. OCP keeps tripping randomly regardless of load and I have to reset the PSU at the switch to get my system back.

Should I go to a Seasonic Prime 1000 watt Platinum or other brand? I’d like to be able to OC a bit but this 850, isn’t cutting it because of the OCP protection issue.
yeah a 1000 should be fine, i like seasonic, corsairs are good too.

I replaced my 850 that was cutting out on me with an EVGA P2 1200W. No problems since then.

The GTX 3090 can pull 350W even without overclocking, and considering I typically have to buy a PSU that can do 100W over what the manufacturer recommends for stability at stock speeds, I'd say overclocking a 3090 on an 850W PSU might be pushing it. I looked at how much power some of the factory overclocked 3090s draw, and they can easily hit 420W and say a 850W PSU is the bare minimum requirement, implying that it's pushing that supply to its limits (which you don't want). Remember, they want to sell GPUs to everyone they can, they have little motive to inflate the power requirements and every incentive to lowball them hoping people will just break down and buy a new PSU if they run into issues. Also consider that the manufacturers of PSUs have incentive to make their units sound a little more capable than they are (though it's not as bad as it used to be), and you have a recipe for awkward situations. They're also way more worried about avoiding the negative publicity of a fried system than they are about people being able to push the limits of the supply, the aggressive OCP is likely a reaction to all the negative reviews they used to get if someone fried their system overloading a power supply. To give you an idea, that's about as much as some previous generation cards would draw in SLI configurations, on a single card. I don't know if you're overclocking the CPU as well, but if you are that could send the power requirement way up, and that's before considering that sometimes a CPU can exceed the rated TDP for a few moments during the boost clock phase anyway.

Last edited:
I have a similar dilemma

Seasonic Prime 850 with (5950x / 64GB / 3090 Strix) In flight sim 2020 my system powers off after 30 mins of gameplay. (no other games cause this?)
I have an extra Seasonic Prime 1000 Watt (Titanium) coming this week if you want one.

Jason

I have had nothing but problems with Corsair and now Seasonic PSUs. They are all made by Seasonic. I may switch over to EVGA as I believe Super Flower makes them.

I really want to believe the Seasonic TX-1000 will be enough but it seems silly to stick with them as this is now like the third high end PSU that needs replacement after just a few years of service. I don’t even push my PC’s that hard. I just pick an XMP profile and done.

I aways thought EVGA was junk and Corsair and Seasonic were the way to go but in my experience Seasonic makes as unreliable a product as I’ve experienced in all my years of doing this.

I wish PC Power & Cooling were still around.

I have a similar dilemma

Seasonic Prime 850 with (5950x / 64GB / 3090 Strix) In flight sim 2020 my system powers off after 30 mins of gameplay. (no other games cause this?)
I have an extra Seasonic Prime 1000 Watt (Titanium) coming this week if you want one.

Jason
Let me know how the 1000 watt Seasonic does.

I would contact Seasonic and see what they say first. RMA the PSU. They may send you a better unit, or to check to see if there's a fault.
The TX-850 shouldn't be tripping at all on a stock 3090. The older Prime series (e.g. Prime Platinum 850, Prime gold 850, Focus Gold 850, etc) would probably trip, but not the rebranded OneSeasonic models, unless you were unlucky enough to get a TX-850 with an older OCP circuit and I'm not sure how that even happened.

I have a Seasonic PX-1000 and it hasn't tripped even with a 3090 at 600W directly from the card. I've pulled up to 850W from the wall directly, so spikes would be above that.

FWIW, from my thread which I think you commented on, my 850W PSU was tripping, but then the RMA'd one did not under the same load with a 5950x/3090 combo.

RMA received and the replacement TX-850 is installed. So far no issues. I even was able to go to 114% power on the 3090 FE which would always crash the system and no issues. So perhaps the unit I had was bad. Or perhaps something about the reinstallation process shook the system up and fixed a connection or something. Or perhaps the problem will manifest again over time. Or perhaps they quietly implemented a fix and the RMA unit has it.

No clue, but so far so good. If it trips on this unit I’m going to a bigger supply with a non Seasonic design.

The one change I did make was spread the two PCI-E cords further apart on the PSU end using different sockets than last installation.

Star Wars Squadrons, Doom Eternal RTX Ultra nightmare with ray tracing and DLSS on at 4K, and Witcher 3 all ran at 114% power without a crash which is unprecedented in this system and I have had the 3090 since January. I also am using the more aggressive XMP setting which would cause issues and no issues this session.

I will report back. The OCP tripping was happening at idle too so if my system stays on for at least a few days that means it is fixed.

Glad it worked out. My RMA'd EVGA 850W PSU worked fine also when I got it back.

I recently redid my system and my seasoning prime 850 does not have any could whine now. It is weird. I took the entire system apart and the only thing I changed was the fans.

Ok now been running the RMA replacement Seasonic TX-850 for like two days no issues with the new PSU. Rock solid. 200% resolution scale (4k) in BFV with RTX on no dlss and 114% power on the 3090 FE and totally stable.

The whole RMA process was like a week. They cross shipped with a $75 deposit. Very cool.

They did the same thing for me with the $75 fee to cross ship. Very cool that they offer that. No downtime

That’s good to hear the issue was solved.

I’m currently running Intel Core i9 10980XE + RTX 3090 XC3 Hybrid on a 875W PSU (Alienware Aurora R4 dell oem).
I have an EVGA 1000 G5 on order but had no issues with my setup for months (all stock).
Really seems to depend on psus

I have had nothing but problems with Corsair and now Seasonic PSUs. They are all made by Seasonic. I may switch over to EVGA as I believe Super Flower makes them.

I really want to believe the Seasonic TX-1000 will be enough but it seems silly to stick with them as this is now like the third high end PSU that needs replacement after just a few years of service. I don’t even push my PC’s that hard. I just pick an XMP profile and done.

I aways thought EVGA was junk and Corsair and Seasonic were the way to go but in my experience Seasonic makes as unreliable a product as I’ve experienced in all my years of doing this.

I wish PC Power & Cooling were still around.
apparently FSP makes evga's now

https://forums.evga.com/Why-oh-why-...er-to-go-with-FSP-powersupplies-m3030283.aspx

I just picked up a dark power 12 750w from be quiet to run my 3090. I wanted to replace my ancient Corsair TX 750w (I purchased this for crossfire and sli over a decade ago now) as it's now the loudest component in my system when gaming. Haven't swapped it out yet but looking forward to some whisper quiet gaming loads.

cpu is under water and the asus tuf oc doesn't get very loud
The GTX 3090 can pull 350W even without overclocking, and considering I typically have to buy a PSU that can do 100W over what the manufacturer recommends for stability at stock speeds, I'd say overclocking a 3090 on an 850W PSU might be pushing it. I looked at how much power some of the factory overclocked 3090s draw, and they can easily hit 420W and say a 850W PSU is the bare minimum requirement, implying that it's pushing that supply to its limits (which you don't want). Remember, they want to sell GPUs to everyone they can, they have little motive to inflate the power requirements and every incentive to lowball them hoping people will just break down and buy a new PSU if they run into issues. Also consider that the manufacturers of PSUs have incentive to make their units sound a little more capable than they are (though it's not as bad as it used to be), and you have a recipe for awkward situations. They're also way more worried about avoiding the negative publicity of a fried system than they are about people being able to push the limits of the supply, the aggressive OCP is likely a reaction to all the negative reviews they used to get if someone fried their system overloading a power supply. To give you an idea, that's about as much as some previous generation cards would draw in SLI configurations, on a single card. I don't know if you're overclocking the CPU as well, but if you are that could send the power requirement way up, and that's before considering that sometimes a CPU can exceed the rated TDP for a few moments during the boost clock phase anyway.
So the 3080 and especially the 3090 can randomly spike to something like 700w+ draw requests from the psu in micro second intervals. Some PSUs respond badly. This was why they had such a high psu w recommendation in the first place.

So the 3080 and especially the 3090 can randomly spike to something like 700w+ draw requests from the psu in micro second intervals. Some PSUs respond badly. This was why they had such a high psu w recommendation in the first place.
which is why some of us have been saying certain model's ocp is too sensitive. if you go 750/850 you need to make sure its one that doesnt have the "problem" or jump up to 1000.

Reactions: Azrak
like this
which is why some of us have been saying certain model's ocp is too sensitive. if you go 750/850 you need to make sure its one that doesnt have the "problem" or jump up to 1000.
There may be more to the story because my TX-850 ostensibly had this issue but the RMA replacement unit does not. My suspicion is that a fix was quietly implemented. The system is rock solid even at 114% power on the 3090 now, so either there was a manufacturing defect in the original or it was a design issue that they resolved in new units but aren’t advertising the fact. They may figure they will just weed out the bad units through RMA as a lot of users will not have 3080s or 3090s and will never experience the issue. The ones that do will replace their PSUs or RMA. In any event, I do recommend the TX-850 but if the issue pops up, RMA immediately.

I've seen threads on Reddit and LTT (including LTT's PSU tier list) that specifically mention the issue, so it does seem like this might be something that they quietly updated from older models...

Footnote from LTT tierlist:
Seasonic PRIME based units experience shutdowns with RTX3080/3090 (and possibly RX6900 XT) GPUs, especially ones with unlocked power limit like FE and ASUS Strix. It is recommended, if going with such units, to overprovision wattage, 1kW for RTX3080 and 1.2kW for RTX3090, or power-limit the GPU, or performing a 'dirty' fix of disconnecting a pin of 12V V-sense wire from PSU-side connector of 24-pin motherboard cable (courtesy of Jonny Guru). Units based on post-2018 revisions of Seasonic Focus platform and majority of units by other OEMs are not affected.

Supposedly "TX" models are the ones with updated OCP circuits, but it sounds like maybe early TX models had issues too, per this thread... idk

Is the overcurrent protection when the entire system just drop? My Seasonic Focus has recently started doing that after being fine for years. Guess I should check if it's still in warranty.

Is the overcurrent protection when the entire system just drop? My Seasonic Focus has recently started doing that after being fine for years. Guess I should check if it's still in warranty.
System could completely shutoff for multiple reasons.

OCP is one of them- OCP kicks in when the current in the rails surpasses a certain limit. I don't know how likely it is for a PSU to trip OCP later in its life. Though if it started when you changed hardware, like introducing something that might induce spikes of power, like a 3090 or something, maybe there's more of a chance in a case like that

Very well could be a completely different issue (just can't supply the power it used to, etc)

That's my thought. This is already the second Seasonic Focus 850, I think I'll go with a different model/brand. With the shutdown, my computer is running enough hours a platinum 1000W makes sense for the energy savings.

That's my thought. This is already the second Seasonic Focus 850, I think I'll go with a different model/brand. With the shutdown, my computer is running enough hours a platinum 1000W makes sense for the energy savings.

If you're running your computer at load for very prolonged periods, a kilowatt PSU might make more sense. Otherwise, a 850 without low OCP would likely work fine. What exactly are you running?

There's also some bad info on this thread like the linked LTT stuff. 1000W is more than enough for a 3090 in the majority of cases, you don't need 1200W. Even with the most power hungry open BIOS and cards, you're still looking at a gaming power consumption that won't exceed 500W at all - since you would be locked down to framesync.

Unless you have a very exquisite setup with an extreme power hog of a HEDT CPU, etc, 1200W is not needed for a 3090. A fair amount of the cards are actually BIOS locked to 350W, but you can unlock to more. There however are these cases of having enough power but OCP tripping your PSU. That's the time you're SOL, unless you have a digital unit that lets you turn off OCP.

An AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, and currently a 1080ti, both under water. It's running about 12 hours a day (still working from home), and games a couple/few hours a day. I have been digging and a 1KW w/ higher efficiency is probably the best bet (plat or titanium). I plan on upgrading the video to 3080/3090/whatever, and the headroom will allow headroom to keep everything running with mild overclocks.

Ha! I just looked at that one yesterday, I swear it was oos. Thank you!

Hm, $5 more for the Corsair Hx1000 with a 10 year warranty... Sold.

Last edited:
I have an unopened TX-850 that I planned on pairing with a 3080Ti FTW3, but now I don't know. There are multiple reports of Seasonic Prime issues with high-end RTX cards.

Blackstone, do you know the serial of the original vs. the replacement? My serial starts with R2012, meaning December 2020. Apparently the revised OCP protection was implemented in March 2021.

I have an unopened TX-850 that I planned on pairing with a 3080Ti FTW3, but now I don't know. There are multiple reports of Seasonic Prime issues with high-end RTX cards.

Blackstone, do you know the serial of the original vs. the replacement? My serial starts with R2012, meaning December 2020. Apparently the revised OCP protection was implemented in March 2021.
The original faulty unit has an R2007 serial number and the perfectly performing replacement has an R2012 serial number. Give it a shot and just RMA if it doesn’t work. My replacement is unstoppable.

I actually increased my CPU OC quite a bit recently as the PSU clearly has headroom to handle a 3090 and a hungry CPU. Also, two spinner drives, an m.2 drive, 3 ssd drives. 2 180 mm fans, 3 120 mm fans.

Fortron/Source. At one point, they were also known as Sparkle.

They were great back in the Thunderbird/socket 462 era...Then largely moved back to mediocrity (even if it's just lack of marketing) once everything started going dual rail 12v.

Doubt you could say that they're bad, necessarily. But I haven't gotten any of their units since P4 either.

Just got an "EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 GAMING" card, and my "SeaSonic Prime Ultra 850 Titanium" (purchased June 2018) flips my PC off and back on after a while of some gaming. I guess I will try an updated TX-1000 unit. It was never my plan to have a 350W video card, but that's what was offered to me first through the queues.

Back