Need Help... New installed mobo won't start...??

Snakekilla

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 12, 2007
Messages
134
I got a - GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - and - Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E7500 -

I turn it on, nothing runs but external hdds. I double check, triple check... I'm completely stuck on this one. This is my first ever attempt to at installing my first mother board/CPU. I even double checked if the cpu was in right, and I think it was. Only 1 wire isn't connected and due to lack of connections on the mobo, I choose to pick either the usb wire or some other wire with numbers on it... I choose to put the one with numbers... same thing, no power. Everything was working fine right before I installed the new mobo and especailly the power supply. Please help me figure this out. Here are some pictures of the mother board and tell me if you see anything wrong.


http://img251.imageshack.us/i/file0051w.jpg/


http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/2683/file0052z.th.jpg
They're both about the same, just slightly different angles.
 
Last edited:
come on guys, I reallllly do not want to pay some local repair guy charge me up the ass to connect a wire or two...
 
Check all the connections, also make sure that the HSF fan is connected to the CPU header on the motherboard, because some motherboards wont post without something connected to that. From the photo it isn't. It will probably be labels with CPU something.
Read the manuals that came with the motherboard and check through everything. A "cable with numbers" on isn't terribly clear. If it was AC97 or HD something then its a sound cable for the front panel.
 
I can hardly tell from those pic's, but it appears you have a video card somehow stuck in a pci slot??? There is only one place to install a card on that mb...it is the blue rail closest to the cpu. Maybe I just can't see it in that small image....
 
Connect a speaker or buzzer to the pins on the motherboard. Beep failure codes come in handy. disconnect everything. EVERYTHING. Pull out all add-on cards. The only thing you should have is the motherboard, memory, cpu and cooler.

THEN.
Check you manual and install the video card making sure it is in a correct slot. ( I too think it is in a wrong or at least secondary slot. Install it in proper slot as close to cpu as possible). Leave the manual on the table.

Attach the 24pin main power cable and the 2x2 or 2x4 aux cpu power cable.

(and un-do that awfull ball of power cables, fold the un-needed ones and extra length individually and neatly leaving enough slack at the power supply end so they will reach the external drive bays and secure with bread ties, rubber bands, bamboo shoots - I dont care, then bundle them and hide out of sight in an unused drive bay.)


Attach the proper power cables to your video card.

Verify the cpu heatsink connector is plugged into the fan header marked cpu and is installed correctly.

Apply power - carefully note any beeps. If it boots add one thing at a time (powering down, adding, reboot) until you run into trouble.

If it does not boot, pull the memory out. It should give beep code for no memory, if not, pull the video it should give the beep code for no video. If not dismount the cooler by turning the push pins in the direction of the arrows and pull it off (and immedately rotate them back to the install position). Read the manual, it tells you EXACTLY how to put in the cpu with pictures even. However if you installed it wrong before or find you did make a mistake, carefully inspect the pins/contacts in the bottom of the socket for damage.

post back with your findings.
 
Last edited:
would it make any differencec if my fan on the PSU isn't turning on at all?

The video card is in the only 1 pci x16 slot, sadly I only have one.

The wire I can't seem to connect is wired "1394", from the case.

Connect a speaker or buzzer to the pins on the motherboard. Beep failure codes come in handy

whats the name of the pins I'm suppose to connect them in?

Also this pin in the ATX connector suppose to be missing?


Maybe I just can't see it in that small image....

click the images to make them larger.
 
Last edited:
Images non-clickable on my end. (Try Photobucket) Try using a small screwdriver and short the power pins instead of using the power button on the pc.
 
I just tested another power supply on it, same issue... no power to anything but my external hdds.
 
Snakekilla I bet your board is dead. I just recieved the same board from the egg about a week ago. I got to testing it last night and I have the exact same issue. I will try another PSU tho tonight, but most likely I just will do a RMA to newegg for another board.
 
If the your are getting no power at all my money is on that the motherboard is shorting out against something metal. Since I am at work right now, I can see the pics from the OP, so I assuming this is currently mounted in a case. If so, the only way to test this is you will have to remove the motherboard from the case, put it on something non-conductive like the motherboard box. Then just connect the power supply, RAM, and CPU. Attempt to turn it on by using a flathead screwdriver to touch the two pins labeled "power". Even without a video card it will at least attempt to post.
 
would it make any differencec if my fan on the PSU isn't turning on at all?

That would indicate the power supply is not getting a "power good" signal from the motherboard. Suspect the CPU.

The video card is in the only 1 pci x16 slot, sadly I only have one.
Ah ok thats fine. Was hard to tell from pics. no worries about that then.

The wire I can't seem to connect is wired "1394", from the case.
that is "firewire" unless you have a camera that uses it, it does not matter, and it does not matter at all for dealing with the current problem. Forget about it for now.


Connect a speaker or buzzer to the pins on the motherboard. Beep failure codes come in handy
whats the name of the pins I'm suppose to connect them in?

SPKR or something like that, look in the manual, the pins should be right next to the HD light and the Power Led connections if not right in that row of pins then right next to them. It will not matter which way the speaker/buzzer is hook up as long as you get the correct pins, there is no + or - . Sometimes the pins are made for a 2 side by side pin connector and sometimes the pins are made for a 3 pin connecor with the middle pin missing. Pain in ass. Occassionly I have to take the connectors out of the plastic housing if the housing does not match the layout of pins on the board. HOWEVER, with the PSU not starting I suspect the CPU now more than ever. So dont waste too much time on this. Radio Shack should have a $1.99 buzzer that will fit right on the SPKR pins on the board. Its always good to have one around.

Also this pin in the ATX connector suppose to be missing?

Pin 20 is usually NC (no connection = missing) on a 24 pin connector.
http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connector_atx_pinout.GIF


The power supply not even trying (do the fans "twitch" if you turn the power supply off with the switch on the back, and then turn it back on and hit the front panel power button ? ) to come on.


OK I have to ask, you have made double darn sure the front panel power switch is connected to the proper pins on the motherboard ? Durn things are small, its not that hard to accidently get one pin over etc. etc.


All I can really suggest is to disassmeble and very carefully with the manual in front of you, go over every little thing. Unplug all the fans and other crap you dont need to simplify the problem. Flashlight and mag glass and carefully inspect bottom of cpu and socket for damage. Rebuild like you are a surgeon doing brain surgery. Assume nothing. If it does not fit do not force it.

It may be the board is bad. It happens.
 
That would indicate the power supply is not getting a "power good" signal from the motherboard. Suspect the CPU.

I dont think it's the CPU now because I just tried to add my old mother board that was working okay yesturday and now I'm having the same issue... And yes I did try to run both boards outside the case.



- Direct link to larger size -
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/8131/file0058.jpg
The mother board in the image is my old mother board, and yes I tried both.


SPKR or something like that, look in the manual, the pins should be right next to the HD light and the Power Led connections if not right in that row of pins then right next to them. It will not matter which way the speaker/buzzer is hook up as long as you get the correct pins, there is no + or - . Sometimes the pins are made for a 2 side by side pin connector and sometimes the pins are made for a 3 pin connecor with the middle pin missing. Pain in ass. Occassionly I have to take the connectors out of the plastic housing if the housing does not match the layout of pins on the board. HOWEVER, with the PSU not starting I suspect the CPU now more than ever. So dont waste too much time on this. Radio Shack should have a $1.99 buzzer that will fit right on the SPKR pins on the board. Its always good to have one around.

could you link me to it on radioshack's site? for I can take it with me to radioshack.



The power supply not even trying (do the fans "twitch" if you turn the power supply off with the switch on the back, and then turn it back on and hit the front panel power button ? ) to come on.

nothing happens at all, not even a twich.

OK I have to ask, you have made double darn sure the front panel power switch is connected to the proper pins on the motherboard ? Durn things are small, its not that hard to accidently get one pin over etc. etc.

yes everything is done correctly.

All I can really suggest is to disassmeble and very carefully with the manual in front of you, go over every little thing. Unplug all the fans and other crap you dont need to simplify the problem. Flashlight and mag glass and carefully inspect bottom of cpu and socket for damage. Rebuild like you are a surgeon doing brain surgery. Assume nothing. If it does not fit do not force it.

It may be the board is bad. It happens.

And did all that, same thing... not just that but as I've mentioned above I'm now having the same problem on my old mobo that was working okay yessturday.
 
Last edited:
Or stop by any PC repair shop and tell them you need a speaker...more than likely they will just give you one out of a junk pc.

Take a paper clip or store bought adapter and short the 20/24 pin connector to see if the psu will at least start and run some fans...if it does, start adding things from there.

http://pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7787

(use the paper clip to jumper from green wire to any black wire to fool psu it is plugged into a motherboard)
 
There is one of your speakers...


Forum.jpg
 
There is one of your speakers...

thats the old mobo.

Anyways, I just made another test on my old mother board and current PSU, this time reading the online manaul. It seems to be powering up fine now..... Now I'm going to try the new one, again. Just one more time. Then I'll RMA it.
 
Last edited:
okay I got it to boot finally. Now how long does it take for the first boot to complete? seems like it's taking awhile right now, is that normal? let it finish?
 
I got it to work finally... thx a lot guys... I think I figured out what I was doing wrong, I think I put the pins from the case the wrong way, like opposite sides. Not really sure lolz.
 
Back
Top