Need help for a new laptop

Alright, my Lenovo T500 finally gave up the ghost and I'm ready to get a new lappy. Since this is back to school season, it seems like the perfect time. Here are some specs

15.6 Screen
At least 6gb RAM
Discrete graphics at least 1 gb
Prefer a 1080p screen
HDMI output capable
Prefer Blu-ray
Cost = <1300 including service contract (3 yrs)

I'm looking at HP dv6 right but I hear some bad things about their reliability. Same with Lenovo these days. Is dell better now? I prefer to buy from the manufacturer since I want decent warranty support and configurability but I could be persuaded to get a Samsung or Asus from newegg wtih a good argument. Thanks for the help guys and gals.

asus from newegg is great. i love their support and products.
but if your looking for a discrete graphics and a 15.6 try out sager products via
xoticpc.com
their service contracts are cheap and customizable.

$1300 is too low for a machine with a 3 year contract and those options. $1500 is your basic starting point.

Lenovo ideapad y580 has prety much all of that for 1100.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...-category-id=AC523278A4F13F27A84F5F5622D1AC7A

1100 gets you 1080p, GTX 660m, 3610qm, 8 GB ddr3-1600, BD drive, etc.

They were on sale a week ago. I just ordered one last week with all those specs, plus 2 year warranty extension, and it was 1059 shipped. Haven't received it yet (ordering from manufacturer always has a huge lead time), I have been hearing mixed things lately about lenovo reliability but I guess we'll see how it goes.

I'm in the same boat, its hard to find a half decent laptop with a 1080p screen at this price range. I have a hunch that manufactures are holding back laptops to eat up the existing stock before win8.

The best I've seen so far is the Asus n56vm, anything else costs a bit more, like the Sony series 5 15 or some of the newer Dell latitudes.

Yeah the Y580 is something I'm looking at. With a 3 yr its like 1250, which isn't bad.
The Dell Inspiron Special edition 15R is similar, 6gb RAM, ATI 7730M 2GB, 750 7200 rpm drive, 1080 but no Bluray for 1094. Though the question is, without Bluray drive, do I really need a 1080 display?

Alright, my Lenovo T500 finally gave up the ghost and I'm ready to get a new lappy. Since this is back to school season, it seems like the perfect time. Here are some specs

15.6 Screen
At least 6gb RAM
Prefer a 1080p screen
HDMI output capable
Prefer Blu-ray

I'm looking at HP dv6 right but I hear some bad things about their reliability. Same with Lenovo these days. Is dell better now? I prefer to buy from the manufacturer since I want decent warranty support and configurability but I could be persuaded to get a Samsung or Asus from newegg wtih a good argument. Thanks for the help guys and gals.

literally nothing can beat the MSI GE60 for that price range..
plz do look it up... Kepler 660m gtx gpu and a ivybridge i7 (3rd gen) all for 1100 bucks...

Decided on a Dell SE Inspiron 15R. Has 6gb ram, ATI 7730M 2 gb graphics, 3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3210M Processor 2.5 GHz (3M Cache, up to 3.10GHz), 1080p, 750gb 7200 RPM hard drive, CD-DVD burner and 3 yr contract for 1.1k. Not a bad deal I think. I can always change out the memory and the optical drive later. Dell has actually made it really easy to get inside the machine (as opposed to my Lenovo T500 which was really difficult to get into the guts of. Thanks for all the help!

msi ge60 if you wanna get your socks rocked off...

look it up... ivy bridge i7 with 1080p, a gtx 660m that rocks and very very cool temps... did i mention really good battery life? and MSI is MSI... quality is awesome..

Decided on a Dell SE Inspiron 15R. Has 6gb ram, ATI 7730M 2 gb graphics, 3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3210M Processor 2.5 GHz (3M Cache, up to 3.10GHz), 1080p, 750gb 7200 RPM hard drive, CD-DVD burner and 3 yr contract for 1.1k. Not a bad deal I think. I can always change out the memory and the optical drive later. Dell has actually made it really easy to get inside the machine (as opposed to my Lenovo T500 which was really difficult to get into the guts of. Thanks for all the help!

Good call, you'll wonder how you coped with a lower resolution for so long (it's a noticeable increase from 900p).

15.6 Screen
At least 6gb RAM
Prefer a 1080p screen
HDMI output capable
Prefer Blu-ray

You can get a Thinkpad T530 for that price. This config only has 4GB of ram, but its way cheaper to buy it at newegg and upgrade yourself, and you would still be well in your budget.

t530.png

Use this link to get in to the store with discounts

Back