Need a gamepad. What are my options?

B!nd.

Gawd
I bought Chronos foolishly without knowing that I need a gamepad to play.

I have a Steam Controller and a DS4. Can either of those work with the game so I can avoid buying and XB1 controller?

As long as you get them functioning with the XInput API, presumably via X360CE, you should be good to go.

Not that I've tried this yet (I have neither Steam Controller nor DualShock 4, mainly use actual Xbox 360/One pads and occasionally a DualShock 3 with SCP drivers that support XInput by default), but I'm pretty sure the whole DirectInput vs. XInput API thing is what's tripping you up here.

The Steam controller should just... work. I've found most games recognize it as an Xbox controller. Games that don't explicitly support it just use a default Xbox-like arrangement, but you can reconfigure the buttons in Big Picture mode if you need to.

I'm not sure what Chronos is - is this a Rift exclusive that isn't launched through Steam?

You may be able to get the game to play nice with the steam controller by just launching it via Steam, then.

DS4Windows will convert your PS4 to XInput.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

You may be able to get the game to play nice with the steam controller by just launching it via Steam, then.

I didn't try that. I only tried turning on the Steam Controller when the game was already launched through SteamVR. The game didn't recognize it. Thanks for the tip.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

I didn't try that. I only tried turning on the Steam Controller when the game was already launched through SteamVR. The game didn't recognize it. Thanks for the tip.
You may also need to launch from big picture mode. I'm not sure if the SteamVR thing that looks like big picture mode counts.

Back