NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi-BK spotted

albovin
Is the 3008wfp a02 that bad?
I really wanted displayport../

Speaking of which, I have a 275T. Is the 275T Plus much better or does it only have HDMI as an extra input?
I am spoiled with the 275t I would love the same functionality in a 30"

albovin
Is the 3008wfp a02 that bad?
I really wanted displayport../

Speaking of which, I have a 275T. Is the 275T Plus much better or does it only have HDMI as an extra input?
I am spoiled with the 275t I would love the same functionality in a 30"

If I have to choose between 3090 and 3008, my choice would be 3090.
Difference here.

If you want displayport you go with 3008.

I am spoiled with the 275t I would love the same functionality
What functionality can be with a single digital input, etc.

Is the 275T Plus much better or does it only have HDMI as an extra input?
AFAIK HDMI is the only major addition.

Well, I finally got a pair of NEC LCD3090WQXi monitors. I haven't had the time to use them much, and I haven't calibrated them yet, but here are my initial impressions:

The good:

1) Text (even small text) on white is good - I was pleasantly surprised by this. I think it's as good as on my PVA monitors (XL30, CG301W), or even a little better because ClearType seems to be working somewhat better on this panel.

2) No color/gamma shift.

3) Nice factory calibration for both native and sRGB modes.

4) Color and brightness uniformity seems to be good (I haven't measured it yet) other than item 3 below.

5) Well packed.

The bad:

1) Annoying and very noticeable pair of dead subpixels on one unit. The other unit has no bad pixels.

2) Significant backlight bleed at the top of both units, but one unit is worse than the other. My XL30 and CG301W monitors have no noticeable backlight bleed.

3) Vertical stripes of non-uniformity show on gray images. This was reported before by others on this thread. Both units have this problem, one is a little worse than the other. The good thing is that this doesn't seem to affect anything other than gray colors, but it's definitely a significant problem.

4) The IPS glow on a black screen is very noticeable with this panel. This problem doesn't exist with my PVA panels. The black may get washed out at an angle, but there's no glow on the PVA panels.

5) The panel has the grainy IPS look - not as smooth as my PVA panels, but not bad really. I could get used to it, but there's no doubt that it's not as nice.

6) Requires some warm-up to reach steady brightness. My XL30 and CG301W reach full brightness right away. It's not a surprise with the LED-backed XL30, but it's pretty amazing that Eizo achieved this with the CCFL-backed CG301W.

7) Runs warmer than the XL30 and CG301W, but not nearly as hot as the Dell 3008WFP.

8) No USB hub.

9) Very thick panel, and the base is very large and deep.

By the way, the monitor performs well even when the brightness is set low. I was concerned that there would be a problem with this since the LCD itself and not the backlight is used for much of the brightness reduction, but this seems to work fine.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised, but I still like the look of the PVA panels better. The only significant downside of those is the color/gamma shift. This doesn't bother me much, but I can see why some people would be bothered by that. In that case, the NEC is a good choice. Also, it's significantly less expensive than the XL30 and the CG301W (less than half the price!!)

Hey! I don't think a lot of people have the chance to compare those three displays, were lucky you share this with us!

Please post more comments/comparison as you get familiar using the monitor...

Congratulations!
Pleased to know you have finally seen what I have been telling you for a couple of months.

Especially those things you pay attention to: the quality of text and brightness regulation, usability of sRGB mode.
Even your enemy - AG coating effect - is less than on so-called "same panel" Dell 3008.
Calibrate it to L* with your SpectraView and see how miserable 2 times more expensive XL30 looks next to it.
"A pair of NEC3090" made me choke.... but I am getting used to that.

Best wishes.

Don't forget to turn on auto luminance to help with the warmup issue...Seems to work rather well...

Don't forget to turn on auto luminance to help with the warmup issue...Seems to work rather well...

Yes - it works ok. It's much better than the situation with the Dell 3008WFP which starts dark and takes ridiculously long to warm up. However, the NEC solution for this is not as good as the Eizo solution.

Ok, I had some more time to study my NEC LCD3090WQXi. The bottom line is that it's a very good monitor. I still prefer the Eizo CG301W (and the Samsung XL30 if it wasn't buggy...) but the NEC would be my top choice if those monitors were not available or if I cared a lot about gamma shift (which I don't).

I mentioned some of the issues with the NEC in my previous message - I won't repeat those. Here are some additional observations in no particular order:

1) Initially, I thought the heat generated by the monitor wasn't too bad, but I was wrong. After using this monitor for many hours, I can say that it's like sitting in front of a heater. It's not quite as bad as the 3008WFP, but close, and it runs much much hotter than my other monitors. It's uncomfortable to touch the top of the monitor where most of the heat is radiated. It also radiates some heat from the front (through the panel), and I can feel that heat on my face on a hot day. I wouldn't recommend this monitor in a warm area without air conditioning.

2) The controls are quite confusing. There's a regular menu and an advanced menu (which is tricky to get to) with a bunch of settings which are not completely clear.

3) Self-calibration is a mess. It takes a very long time, and it doesn't work well. Unfortunately, it's the only way to calibrate sRGB. I won't go into all the details here - I wasted many hours on this, and there are many issues. The bottom line is that I couldn't get the sRGB mode to work well. Problems included inability to maintain the color temperature at 6500K - it would be 6500K initially, and then I would measure it at 6000K a while later. Also, keeping the brightness fixed is pretty much impossible for self-calibrated modes. Colors in self-calibrated sRGB were not good, with reds looking too brown. In general, if you want to calibrate this monitor, use SpectraView II, not self-calibration, and forget about sRGB (SpectraView II cannot calibrate the gamut.)

The Eizo CG301W doesn't suffer from these issues - it generates much less heat, controls are clear and easy to use, it has no self-calibration, but ColorNavigator supports hardware sRGB calibration with great results. It's easy to switch the monitor between calibration modes with the press of a button. This is not the case with the NEC where it's hard to switch between color modes. The NEC has very weird behavior in terms of brightness settings for the different modes - it's hard to keep it fixed and it creates a mess. I don't know what they were thinking. Anyway, with the Eizo the brightness for the CAL and EMU modes is fixed by calibration and not affected by monitor brightness settings.

Other advantages of the Eizo: easier on the eyes, much less backlight bleed, no glow.

The bottom line for me is that I like the Eizo better, but I think the NEC is a good choice for people who really dislike gamma shift and can live without a top-notch sRGB mode.

By the way, does anyone know how to reset the sRGB mode to the factory LUT settings? I haven't been able to find a way. It seems like once you self-calibrate it, you can't go back to what it was originally. The factory sRGB calibration wasn't great either, by the way.

Still no SpectraView?

I have SpectraView II. It works well when calibrating with the native gamut and an L* gamma curve. However, it doesn't help with sRGB calibration since it doesn't support that - it supports an sRGB gamma curve, but it doesn't provide a way to set the color space coordinates, so you're still stuck with the wide gamut.

Wow, Visualguy for a while there I thought you were going real soft on the monitor ;)

I guess I'll reveal that I have had the the NEC3090WQXi monitor for three weeks already. Been very busy lately and didn't have a chance to write up a review for it - maybe its for the better, gives it a chance to "break-in" :p (will do so once things some deadlines pass), so it has been getting quite a bit of use. However, one thing that is certain is that I do find that its certainly not all that I have heard it out to be (at least when it comes to what I look for).

One thing I'll say as nobody has brought it up yet is the loss of details in corner areas when viewing darker images and some color/brightness shift - white to bluish-gray - certainly does not live up to the reputation IPS panels are made out to be, oh and yeah, the black level is atrocious.

One thing I'll say as nobody has brought it up yet is ... in corner areas when viewing darker images and some color/brightness shift.

This is regular LCD effect - a sort of "LCD glow" - where an angle view becomes sharp and diagonal - right where corners are.

We've talked about that. Lack of the quality of 2490/2690 panels (exceptionally solid black) prevents this spectacular monitor from being #1 in the consumer market (just #3 overall after 2490/2690). But still #1 of 30".

That's why I cancelled upgrade for my 2490. It turns out to be that there is no upgrade for 2490 so far.

Wow, Visualguy for a while there I thought you were going real soft on the monitor ;)

I guess I'll reveal that I have had the the NEC3090WQXi monitor for three weeks already. Been very busy lately and didn't have a chance to write up a review for it - maybe its for the better, gives it a chance to "break-in" :p (will do so once things some deadlines pass), so it has been getting quite a bit of use. However, one thing that is certain is that I do find that its certainly not all that I have heard it out to be (at least when it comes to what I look for).

One thing I'll say as nobody has brought it up yet is the loss of details in corner areas when viewing darker images and some color/brightness shift - white to bluish-gray - certainly does not live up to the reputation IPS panels are made out to be, oh and yeah, the black level is atrocious.

Yes - I've observed the same issues with it. I think part of the problem is the peculiar brightness control used in this monitor - it certainly hurts the black level a lot, and it exacerbates the backlight bleed and glow as well. Even without the strange brightness control, the LG panel used in this monitor has a weird look - it glows like it's radioactive or something... All that heat and glow makes it quite an experience to use this monitor!

I still like this monitor - it's not too bad really, but it's certainly no replacement for the CG301W or the XL30.

I just measured the relative input lag between the Eizo CG301W and the NEC LCD3090WQXi. The Eizo has 18ms (1 frame at 60 frames/sec) of additional lag.

I think at this point only two things seriously bother me about the NEC. One is the vertical stripe non-uniformity. This is evident mostly on a gray image, but can be seen on white as well. The other problem is the strange red color in sRGB mode - it looks more brown than red, and it remains this way even with calibration. I compared it to the red on native sRGB monitors that I have, and this is not what sRGB red should look like.

Damn what the hell I was really looking forward to getting this monitor but after reading all these disparaging comments I might as well get the Eizo SX30?

Do you guys know whether NEC is going to refresh this monitor soon or not? And should I just bite the bullet and get this or the Eizo? I'm a digital painter and I'd like a fair bit of colour accuracy in the monitor but I would also like it for multimedia use!!

Thanks!!

You should be able to load the "sRGB Color Space Profile.icm" file as a target in i1 Match at the step "Choose Calibration Settings" (with the "Load ICC profile"-button ?).

Nope - all this would do is load the default graphics card LUT settings, which will achieve nothing in terms of changing the gamut from wide to sRGB. This ICC profile doesn't perform any color mappings, and it will not cause i1 Match 3 to calibrate to a new color space - you will still get a wide gamut after calibration.

have pretty bad "striping" issues. .

Any news on this, Is it really like as bad as the picture?

I wonder if the Dell 3008 suffer from the same problem, I don't remember hearing about this on the 3007 though...

Tarc

I wonder if the Dell 3008 suffer from the same problem, I don't remember hearing about this on the 3007 though...

Tarc

The 3008WFP that I had didn't have this problem, but I bought that monitor way back in January. I don't know about the current batches of 3008WFP.

I talked to NEC about it a couple of days ago, and they didn't have anything new to say about this.

The severity of the problem varies from unit to unit. On the two that I have it's noticeable, but not to the degree that it drives me nuts. I rarely use gray, and it shows up the most on gray. I can see it on white as well, but it doesn't stand out. One of my monitors is worse than the other, but still not horrible.

If you use gray a lot, then I wouldn't recommend this monitor until there's a new batch without this problem.

my dell 3008wfp doesn't have this striping issue. at least, i've never seen it yet

it does have the horrible dirty/dusty appearance due to anti-glare coating... does anyone know if the 3090 display is as bad relatively speaking? is this a pretty uniform "issue/artifact" across the industry or are some panels better than others?

i can't stand looking at this dell. i wouldn't advise anyone to buy one unless they can get it for less than $400 or they don't care about image quality.

it does have the horrible dirty/dusty appearance due to anti-glare coating... does anyone know if the 3090 display is as bad relatively speaking? is this a pretty uniform "issue/artifact" across the industry or are some panels better than others?

Samsung PVA panels are much better than most LG IPS panels in this regard. Some people say that there are a couple of LG IPS panel models that don't suffer from this (such as the one in the LCD2490WUXi), but I haven't seen them personally.

The 3090 has the same grainy look that the 3008WFP has.

Samsung PVA panels are much better than most LG IPS panels in this regard. Some people say that there are a couple of LG IPS panel models that don't suffer from this (such as the one in the LCD2490WUXi), but I haven't seen them personally.

The 3090 has the same grainy look that the 3008WFP has.

Thats one of the reasons why I got turned off when using the DELL 3007WFP-HC, my Apple Cinema 30" did have this effect but very very little where you cant notice it, the newer S-IPS panels have this effect 2-3 times more thanteh older S-IPS screens.

Tarc

It isn't as bad as the picture - The background on Photoshop (of all things) is where it is most noticeable, but it has to be empty, and you have to be looking for it. The second monitor I received was much better with the striping, but it's still there...

I just bought the NEC 30 inch but have some issues with it. I am not sure if this is the way these panels all are or something else. I've had a 17 inch laptop (1900x1200) for past 4 years and CRT monitors before that so don't have much experience with bigger desktop LCD panels.

The issue is that when I sit in front of the panel, in both right and left bottom corners, there is alot of white (right side) and left (white brownish) light coming from the corners. Most noticeable with black background. It is not bleeding, as it shifts when you shift your head. Since this is not light bleeding I assume this is the way all panels are. I turned down the brightness and it is less noticeable but it is still somewhat annoying. Sitting further back from the monitor also decreases this.

The reason I ask is that I read several reviews of this panel and no one said anything about this, and one review (bit-tech) said the black levels are awesome on this panel.

I just bought the NEC 30 inch but have some issues with it. I am not sure if this is the way these panels all are or something else. I've had a 17 inch laptop (1900x1200) for past 4 years and CRT monitors before that so don't have much experience with bigger desktop LCD panels.

The issue is that when I sit in front of the panel, in both right and left bottom corners, there is alot of white (right side) and left (white brownish) light coming from the corners. Most noticeable with black background. It is not bleeding, as it shifts when you shift your head. Since this is not light bleeding I assume this is the way all panels are. I turned down the brightness and it is less noticeable but it is still somewhat annoying. Sitting further back from the monitor also decreases this.

The reason I ask is that I read several reviews of this panel and no one said anything about this, and one review (bit-tech) said the black levels are awesome on this panel.

For the older S-IPS panels in the Apple Cinema 30" and Dell 3007WFP 30", this S-IPS glow on these older panels would be purplish, or violet.

On the newer wide gamut S-IPS panels such as the Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" HP LP3065 30" there would be a white glow on the corners when you move your head from left to right, yes you are right this isnt backlight bleed but glow from the newer S-IPS panels. Something about a TW polorizer?

This is normal for any large LCD (IPS or non-IPS) without so-called "polarizer".
2490/2690 models are free of that.
I clearly demonstrated this difference in "black from an angle in darkness" between 2490 and 3090 (and between 2490 and PVA monitor) in the review with photos and video.
Another video to see this "glow" on a large PVA.
As illustrated, it depends on the angle so sitting further decreases this.

That's one of the reasons I prefer 2490.
3090 is clearly the best of current 30" monitors, but 2490/2690 are still the best overall in the market.
So if you don't really need 2560x1600 resolution the best choice will be between 2490 and 2690.

Everytime I see pictures (from users who just bought them) of other 30 inch panels I do not see that glow coming from the bottom corners, yet it is so visible actually sitting in front of it looking at it.

Which panels do not have this? Have a polarizer? What about the Dell 3008?

Everytime I see pictures (from users who just bought them) of other 30 inch panels I do not see that glow coming from the bottom corners, yet it is so visible actually sitting in front of it looking at it.

Which panels do not have this? Have a polarizer?

actually there are two 30" panels that users say dont have a glow and those are the Samsung S-PVA panels, which the Samsung 305t, and Gateway 30" uses. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Did anyone notice that white turns yellowish white towards bottom of screen? or is it just my panel?

This is normal for any large LCD (IPS or non-IPS) without so-called "polarizer".
2490/2690 models are free of that.
I clearly demonstrated this difference in "black from an angle in darkness" between 2490 and 3090 (and between 2490 and PVA monitor) in the review with photos and video.
Another video to see this "glow" on a large PVA.
As illustrated, it depends on the angle so sitting further decreases this.

That's one of the reasons I prefer 2490.
3090 is clearly the best of current 30" monitors, but 2490/2690 are still the best overall in the market.
So if you don't really need 2560x1600 resolution the best choice will be between 2490 and 2690.

Having that blurb hidden away on your blog it does not negate the fact that this is in fact a very serious defect for the monitor. Furthermore, your pic shows it at an extreme angle ... I see it in when looking straight on at the sides of the monitor and it appears that I am not the only one.

actually there are two 30" panels that users say dont have a glow and those are the Samsung S-PVA panels, which the Samsung 305t, and Gateway 30" uses. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

You are right - the 30" Samsung PVA panel doesn't glow - black corners are dark as they should be, not glowing. I find the IPS glow to be a lot more annoying than the PVA gamma shift that some people here are so obsessed with.

Yea exactly, I have read that review also and did not think it would be a problem before buying the NEC since I would only be looking at the screen from the front. Oddly I do not really see others complaining about this problem with other panels, like the Dell 3008. I am contemplating returning the NEC for a Dell if this is not as big of a problem on the Dell. I like to have a bright screen, but now I am forced to turn down brightness to get rid of some of the glow. SUcks.

Visualguy, how "bad" is the supposedly gamma shift? Is it only visible at extreme angles or also when sitting in front?

Yea exactly, I have read that review also and did not think it would be a problem before buying the NEC since I would only be looking at the screen from the front. Oddly I do not really see others complaining about this problem with other panels, like the Dell 3008. I am contemplating returning the NEC for a Dell if this is not as big of a problem on the Dell. I like to have a bright screen, but now I am forced to turn down brightness to get rid of some of the glow. SUcks.

Visualguy, how "bad" is the supposedly gamma shift? Is it only visible at extreme angles or also when sitting in front?

I had the 3008WFP, and it also had the glow problem. I'm not sure if it was as bad, but it was certainly noticeable. It may be worse on the NEC because the brightness control on the NEC keeps the backlight at high brightness while reducing the brightness using the LCD. The Dell may reduce the backlight intensity further than the NEC when you reduce the brightness, and in this case the glow would be lower. I'm not sure about this, though - I sold my Dell a long time ago.

Also, my Dell suffered from the yellowish whites problem toward the lower part of the screen. I haven't seen it on my NEC, but the problem you're reporting doesn't surprise me since the NEC and the Dell use the same LG panel.

The gamma shift is mostly visible at extreme angles, but I find that the LCD3090WQXi with its IPS panel looks even worse at extreme angles, and, quite frankly, who looks at the monitor from a sharp angle anyway? Having said that, since a 30" monitor is large, you may notice some gamma shift on some pictures (like the infamous turtle) even when looking straight at the middle of the monitor. The gamma will be somewhat different in the middle and on the left and right edges of the screen. However, it's not something that you notice unless you look for it with some specific types of photos or color combinations. You can also see it if you maximize the hardforum web page to cover your entire screen. It's not something that bothers me, and I find that the many advantages of the PVA panel more than compensate for this.

Yea exactly, I have read that review also and did not think it would be a problem before buying the NEC since I would only be looking at the screen from the front. Oddly I do not really see others complaining about this problem with other panels, like the Dell 3008.

I was under the same impression as well. Sigh. If only that XL30 wasn't so friggn expensive and buggy.

Well if the Dell does have some of the problems to some extent I'm not sure what I will do. I don't know much about the XL30. Maybe I will look into the Eizo 30 inch.

The glow is not a defect. It has always been there with IPS panels. For those that need color accuracy, the gamma shift of VA panels is worse because even if you calibrate the monitor and sit in front of the screen, the only part of the screen that will be correct is the part directly perpendicular to your eyes. The rest of the screen will appear washed out compared to IPS panels, but somehow many people don't notice this.

The glow of IPS panels only affects contrast, and yes, it can be annoying. That's why I'm glad to see monitors like the NEC 2490 and 2690 come out. They don't have the glow or the sparkly look that other IPS panels have. It's too bad there's nothing comparable in the 30" sector. All 30" IPS panels currently have the glow. It doesn't show up in most pictures because the pictures are usually taken in a bright room or at a distance where it's not a problem.

visualguy said:
I had the 3008WFP, and it also had the glow problem. I'm not sure if it was as bad, but it was certainly noticeable. It may be worse on the NEC because the brightness control on the NEC keeps the backlight at high brightness while reducing the brightness using the LCD. The Dell may reduce the backlight intensity further than the NEC when you reduce the brightness, and in this case the glow would be lower. I'm not sure about this, though - I sold my Dell a long time ago.
NEC does this because the backlight in the panel module can't go any lower. The Dell wouldn't be able to go any lower.

It's most noticeable in a dark room. The brighter the room, the harder it is to see. The Apple Cinema Displays glow, but if you go to an Apple Store, the glow is barely visible because the store is so bright.

That's another thing. The gamma shift of VA panels is always visible regardless of the lighting.

That's another thing. The gamma shift of VA panels is always visible regardless of the lighting.

The gamma shift is only visible if you look at certain images (particularly with dark detail) at the edges of the screen. Even then, it's pretty minor, not something that jumps at you in most cases. Again, I don't notice it in my real-world use of the monitor, while I do notice the IPS glow. Quite franky, though, neither one bothers me that much. I'm bothered more by the grainy look of the 30" IPS panels, the excessive heat, the lower contrast, and some other deficiencies of the LCD3090WQXi which are not IPS-related (inaccurate sRGB reds, lack of SpectraView support for sRGB calibration).

Visualguy, what is your take on the Eizo 30 inch? ALso, why did you sell the Dell 3008? YOu said you sold it long time ago, I assume you probably had the first revision A01 of that panel?

The gamma shift is only visible if you look at certain images (particularly with dark detail) at the edges of the screen. Even then, it's pretty minor, not something that jumps at you in most cases. Again, I don't notice it in my real-world use of the monitor, while I do notice the IPS glow. Quite franky, though, neither one bothers me that much. I'm bothered more by the grainy look of the 30" IPS panels, the excessive heat, the lower contrast, and some other deficiencies of the LCD3090WQXi which are not IPS-related (inaccurate sRGB reds, lack of SpectraView support for sRGB calibration).

visualguy, one more time for you and the readers to remember.

Normal people can see colorshift on PVA (Eizo, etc.) in any conditions on any phtographic image.
Colorshift on PVA (Eizo CG 301W, etc.) consists of two major problems.

Pathology #1. Relatively poor (compared to IPS) PVA viewing angles make colors washed out closer to panel edges.

Pathology #2. Black crush (loss of details on darker tone images) when you look from the front (details reappear when you move your head to look from an angle) - the most disgusting problem of PVA (Eizo, etc.) Look at the headrest behind this boy.
Who turns the light on in this car?
These two problems together make it nearly impossible to get a stable picture on PVA. You never know when and what color is correct - colors and details are boiling on the screen and floating with your point of observation.

Listen, isn't it stupid to loose your picture when you are sitting in front of the monitor and get it back when you move aside!!!???
Something opposite would be normal, forgivable at least.
This idiotic pathology of PVA makes people in the right mind stay away from *VA if they want to get a quality picture.
Only really dedicated persons (I am polite) can throw away thousands of dollars on the products like Eizo's CG series (great products other than photo image quality) or pure golden crap XL30.

This is how Eizo CG series monitors look like.
Front: black crush, loss of details (Pathology #2)
Angle: details appear, but Attention! - three identical images look all different due to viewing anle problem. Which of them is correct? No answer (Pathology #1).

visualguy, you appear in every thread of this forum where you can... I stop here for a while. No more comments so far.

A request for one really interesting thing instead.

You insist that sRGB on Eizo CG 301W is hardware calibrated.
Could you please provide us with any link that confirms sRGB hardware calibration and more important - the result of that calibration?
What is the result of calibration - it's a diagram showing how accurate colors are with average dE94. Example.
Good boys (those who respect others and themselves too) act this way - they provide measurements, not blah-blah.
This information will be highly appreciated - it's really interesting.
Thank you.

Back