NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi-BK spotted

Isn't there any place where we can see a review of it ?!

not that i've seen or heard of. But I'm a willing guinea pig!

After about 45 min on hold with pcmall, I finally spoke to someone who told me the item will now drop ship. Before, the story was that they were supposed to get some on the 11th and then more on the 16th...so either they've changed their minds to get them shipped to the customer sooner, and the monitors are ready to ship....or I spoke to an idiot who didn't know what was going on. He said he wasn't able to give me an estimated ship date, and only one particular person who apparantly took my order, can give me that info, and they are off until tuesday. ridiculous.

So, is this LCD available or not? and why haven't anyone did a review of it?

So, is this LCD available or not? and why haven't anyone did a review of it?

Because no one has one yet. The latest word is that the first batch is going through QA testing and will be available within a week or so.

Contact NEC for more

Dave

Looks like someone else will have to be the guinea pig for this monitor. My 2 month old backorder at onsale.com finally expired. Since it's not likely to go on sale again for $1500, I will have to wait for some positive reviews before forking over $2000+ on this thing.

Looking forward to some reviews now that CDW has it in stock. I hear they have a 30day no questions asked return policty so maybe some brave soul will try it?

Looks like someone else will have to be the guinea pig for this monitor. My 2 month old backorder at onsale.com finally expired. Since it's not likely to go on sale again for $1500, I will have to wait for some positive reviews before forking over $2000+ on this thing.

Looking forward to some reviews now that CDW has it in stock. I hear they have a 30day no questions asked return policty so maybe some brave soul will try it?

I would not buy anything from CDW.

Check their feedback at resellerratings.com: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CDW

It may be a while before this thing can be had at a reasonable price.

Dave

i just got off the phone with pcmall (again!) and I was told that they are expecting a shipment tomorrow, on the 18th, and on the 20th of this monitor.

i feel like we're finally getting somewhere, but I am only guardedly optimistic given how many times I've been promised this monitor.

looks like B&H just got them in stock....but they are charging more than $2400! I usually regard B&H as the best place for prices on all my camera gear and lenses...but that's a pretty outrageous price for this monitor. I wonder if ol NEC will give B&H a slap on the wrist.

If anyone lives in NYC, maybe they can go and see the darn thing in person at their store.

Just ordered two of these. They tell me I will get them next week. Unfortunately I won't get my new Alienware computer that will take advantage of them until next month.

The SV software is basically built into this model but you still need a sensor to calibrate it. You can buy the SV kit from NEC for $275, but does anyone know if there is a better route to go just to get a calibration sensor?

Just ordered two of these. They tell me I will get them next week. Unfortunately I won't get my new Alienware computer that will take advantage of them until next month.

The SV software is basically built into this model but you still need a sensor to calibrate it. You can buy the SV kit from NEC for $275, but does anyone know if there is a better route to go just to get a calibration sensor?

the spectraview software doesn't come with the monitor. you can buy that off the nec site for $100.

You'll also need a calibration puck. I and they recommend the iONE display 2. It's made by xrite. (also known as eyeone display 2).

The puck that comes with their SV kit is the iONE display, just rebranded with an NEC label on top. Depending on what price you can find on the puck, it may be cheaper just to get the NEC kit.

From what NEC says the spectraview software is built into the monitor. With a sensor you can calibrate it with just the monitor. For some strange reason they charge more for just the sensor than the sensor and software kit. I guess I will just order the kit. FYI I got the monitor for 2200 all in, not a great price but it is from a reputable company.

Good lord man.....what are you going to use two of these for?!

Good lord man.....what are you going to use two of these for?!
Stock market.
I was looking at four 20" or three 24-26" monitors, but when I went to a store that had a couple 30" monitors on display I figured two 30" would be the way to go and still get about the same screen space. I know the price is overboard but Alienware killed me on their maxed out ALX crossfire so I figured I would go all out for the monitors too. Now I just have to keep the wife from seeing the bill.

Stock market.
I was looking at four 20" or three 24-26" monitors, but when I went to a store that had a couple 30" monitors on display I figured two 30" would be the way to go and still get about the same screen space. I know the price is overboard but Alienware killed me on their maxed out ALX crossfire so I figured I would go all out for the monitors too. Now I just have to keep the wife from seeing the bill.
I run a triple monitor setup myself using eSignal for a lot of the day.

However, you are wasting your money. BIG TIME. For stock market analysis, 30" is the way to go, but these monitors?? For business, all you need is crisp text and a bright display and you're fine.

You should pick up some Dell 3007WFPs (like mine) for around $900. These NECs are only useful for photography and video professionals. They are expensive due to their color accuracy for printing. You wouldn't notice a single difference between it and a Dell for your usage.

Seriously. Cancel your order and save more than half your money. You can then go buy some options and be happier.

And FYI, the Dells have faster response times as well.....better for gaming and real time stock display.

Maybe he plans on using the monitors for something else apart from the stock market?

If you've got the money the NEC is probably the best monitor out atm, so I'd say go for it, even if it is total overkill :D

I guess I should clear up a few things. The computer/monitors are overkill (especially at 13k) for just watching the market but it is also for editing my Nikon digital pics as well as my Sony HD video camera. If you have ever dealt with HD video you know it is a hog. A side note, HD video is the way to go, when I hook it up directly to my plasma it looks incredible compared to standard video.

I will also be gaming, but I am old and play most games off line so any lag should go unnoticed. I hate to admit it but my first computer was an Atari 400 with membrane keyboard, cassette tape for storage, and an old TV as a monitor. Honestly I am hoping the 3090 performs better than the 2490 or 2690 since it has faster times, and the 6ms/12ms is the same as the Dell 3007. I have purchased medium level equipment many times from Dell, and at this point I just wanted to get the top of the line for once.

I appreciate the advice Performer, but hopefully overpaying once in my life won't kill me. Don't get me started on options, I was a market maker years ago.

Does anyone yet to have this LCD and can bring a review of it ?!

The NEC LCD3090WQXI has the same LG panel that's in the Dell 3008WFP. The image quality should be about the same other than the more sophisticated calibration capabilities of the NEC.

Personally, I don't like this LG panel, so I don't have high expectations for this new monitor. The panel has many issues. For example, warm-up time of the backlight is extremely long - it starts pretty dark and gets gradually brighter for a period of an hour and a half until it reaches stability. Also, it runs very hot and radiates heat in all directions, incuding the front. May be nice in the winter... Worse of all, I just don't like the way the image looks on this panel. It has the usual grainy sparkly look of LG panels. This panel tires my eyes pretty quickly when looking at text on white backgrounds, which is most of what I do. It works fine for pictures, video, and games, but it just doesn't work for me for programming, word processing, web browsing, or anything else that's mostly text work. I prefer the 30" Samsung PVA panel for that - much clearer and easier on the eyes.

The NEC LCD3090WQXI has the same LG panel that's in the Dell 3008WFP. The image quality should be about the same other than the more sophisticated calibration capabilities of the NEC.

Personally, I don't like this LG panel, so I don't have high expectations for this new monitor. The panel has many issues. For example, warm-up time of the backlight is extremely long - it starts pretty dark and gets gradually brighter for a period of an hour and a half until it reaches stability. Also, it runs very hot and radiates heat in all directions, incuding the front. May be nice in the winter... Worse of all, I just don't like the way the image looks on this panel. It has the usual grainy sparkly look of LG panels. This panel tires my eyes pretty quickly when looking at text on white backgrounds, which is most of what I do. It works fine for pictures, video, and games, but it just doesn't work for me for programming, word processing, web browsing, or anything else that's mostly text work. I prefer the 30" Samsung PVA panel for that - much clearer and easier on the eyes.

Amm, and how will you compare the Dell 3007WFP-HC to it or the samsung?
And it is the first time I heat the PVA is better than IPS

It's a matter of personal preferences, for me color stability at any angle is important, also the black level information.
The portrait mode on a 30" is something that I've been waiting for.

Regards,

Tarc

Honestly I am hoping the 3090 performs better than the 2490 or 2690 since it has faster times
For the universal use - 3090 is (potentially so far) one of a very limited number of options. I agree with you.
Actually there are only two universal monitors in the market (2490/2690) with the Dell 3008 and the DoubleSight DS-263N somewhat close to them.
I consider this monitor as a possible upgrade for 2490.
Higher resolution is 3090's advantage.
Smaller dot pitch is it's disadvantage for me.
In my best hopes 3090 has:
1. H-IPS with A-TW pol. panel (as 2490/2690),
2. General performance not less than 2490
3. Minimal wide gamut issues
4. The unique scaling ability makes it free from any issues related to Full HD support due to excessive resolution.
If all four are Yes, 3090 is an excellent candidate and the only problem to think about is dot pitch.

Does anyone yet to have this LCD and can bring a review of it ?!
It's not sold yet. It takes 1-2 weeks to prepare a review.

It's related to a different monitor, it's subjective and it's actually trolling this thread.

Amm, and how will you compare the Dell 3007WFP-HC to it or the samsung?

The 3007WFP-HC has a much shorter warm-up period, and it doesn't generate nearly as much heat. The basic nature of the image produced by the 3007WFP, or the 30" Apple for that matter, is similar to that of the 3008WFP. However, I find the 3008WFP to be the most tiring to the eyes. I prefer the Samsung to all of them for my day-to-day work.

So
Why not take the 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC version?
Why did you take the Samsung?

So
Why not take the 30" Dell 3007WFP-HC version?
Why did you take the Samsung?

The Samsung has better image quality for the type of work that I do. It has a clearer and more vivid picture, and it doesn't have the annoying grainy sparkly LG look on solid colors. The Samsung is much less tiring in my experience.

As to the 3008WFP, I was hoping that it would be better than the others, but I find it worse. I don't see how the LCD3090WQXI could be much different from the 3008WFP since it uses the exact same panel.

ok
And if you were to compare the Samsung to the Eizo 30" , what will you take and why?
(let's put prices away for a second)

ok
And if you were to compare the Samsung to the Eizo 30" , what will you take and why?
(let's put prices away for a second)

The 30" Eizo has the Samsung panel, so that's good. The 30" Eizo is clearly better than the Samsung 305T in terms of features (calibration, etc.) The decision between the 30" Eizo and the Samsung XL30 is tougher - the XL30 has an LED backlight, while the Eizo has CCFL. The XL30 can be calibrated, but it has only rudimentary features, and there are some issues at least with the early batch of these monitors. I can see why people would go with the Eizo over the XL30, and vice versa depending on what they're looking for.

I'm confused as to the Dell 3008WFP and the 3090 having the same LG panel......

From what I understand and have read, people were less than enthusiastic about the 3008WFP but the expectations of the NEC are for it to be color-accurate with excellent grayscale rendition and shadow details. Not to mention the premium price put onto it for this kind of performance.

So what is the difference between the 3008 and NEC that will give it an advantage? Is there a difference?

Don't be confused. It's too early. Nobody has seen 3090 yet.
Manufacturers know how to make "same" panels look different.
For example, for a layman - 26" NEC and 26" Planar have the same panel because net rumors bring "same" panel code. More informed people know that in fact 26" NEC panel looks different (much better).
It may or may not be the case for 3008 and 3090 - too early.

More important - you have to remember that a panel is just a panel, not a monitor. 2690 as a monitor is way above 26" Planar.

So what is the difference between the 3008 and NEC that will give it an advantage? Is there a difference?
Both monitors have IPS panel, so the difference is not as huge as between IPS and PVA, but still significant.
3090 is supposed to provide better color reproduction, more precise and convenient internal LUT (hardware) calibration, better color and brightness adjustability, convenient and eye strain reducing feature like autobrightness, better ergonomics (more convenient and intuitive OSM controls, more flexible stand, even with portrait mode), better scaling, a package of features for color-critical work, etc.
Contrast ratio and brightness of black can be known from a practical test only. Responsiveness is not expected to be worse than 3008.
3008 has little better connectivity - one extra HDMI (can be used to connect a second computer) alongwith 2 DVI (for the main computer and an entertainment device like Blu-ray player). 3090 has 2 DVI (so you will have to choose what to connect to the second DVI - either Blu-ray or the second computer).
It's not a question if 3090 is better than 3008.
My concern is if 3090 is any better than 2490/2690.
That's a question.

From what I understand and have read, people were less than enthusiastic about the 3008WFP but the expectations of the NEC are for it to be color-accurate with excellent grayscale rendition and shadow details. Not to mention the premium price put onto it for this kind of performance.

The NEC has some advantages over the Dell as mentioned in another post above. The NEC isn't really all that much more expensive than the Dell, and it's probably worth the extra money - I can't say for sure because I haven't seen the NEC.

My point was that the NEC adds some refinements, but the fundamanetal appearance of the image will be the same as with the Dell (same LG IPS look), and problems such as the long warm-up time and the excessive heat will still be there since those are caused by the panel and the backlight.

Unfortunately, monitors based on the Samsung PVA panel with calibration capabilities are a lot more expensive - twice or more as much as the NEC. This includes the Eizo CG301W and the Samsung XL30. The Samsung panel is MUCH better than the LG panel for text on a white background, which is a big factor for me. For photos, video, and games, the LG panel is fine assuming you're ok with the long warm-up time and the heat...

When panels are created by LG or any other LCD panel manufacture they seperate them by grade (quality). It starts out with grade A (Best), B (Ok), and C (Not good). They are graded on possible dead pixels, blacklight issues, and product quality. NEC uses grade A panels in there LCD's. I can not speak about Dell's use of what grade but as of today the Dell 3008 has been taken off the market because of technical issues (http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/12/sales-cease-on-dell-3008wfp-30-incher-due-to-technical-issue/).

Albovin: It will have a H-IPS panel.

For a product review go to www.dpreview.com (type: LCD3090WQXI-BK into search) someone has recieved one and gives some insight to the monitor.

Product reviews should show up in the next few weeks.

This is good reading for people (like me) who are waiting for this monitor:

http://www.necdisplay.com/cms/documents/UserManuals/LCD3090WQXi_CD_EN_V04.pdf

Page 18 and 24 mentions "response time improve", which is supposed to improve grey to grey times. The manual still quotes the response time at 12ms with g2g of 6ms...

I was surprised that you can even change the color and brightness of the front LED. I'm sold :)

Edit: This isn't much of a review, but it's something - He seems to talk about it taking a while to warm up: http://translate.google.com/transla...iew/lcd3090wqxi/&langpair=ja|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

No spectraview software needed?

"Self Calibration
Simply connect the external USB sensor, and the brightness, white tint and gamma levels are calibrated without the need of a
computer.
This feature works for displays requiring RGB calibration and graphical calibration.
Before proper self calibration can be performed, display should warm-up for a minimum 30 minutes. If the USB sensor is
plugged in before the monitor is warmed up, a warning will appear on-screen"

Reading the manual, this is one impressive piece of kit, you can even calibrate matching white points between monitor without using a computer.

Also, MacWorld and another magazine should have their reviews out in about 2-4 weeks or their next issue.

The LCD3090WQXI-BK may lack some inputs but it has a better stand (4-way stand: swivel, tilt, height adjustment (7.5 in compared to Dells 3.5 in), and pivot(portrait to landscape). The LCD3090WQXI-BK comes with a 4 year warranty compared to 3 years Dell. The warranty comes with a GUARNTEED 48 hour exchange for no cost. LCD3090WQXI-BK also comes with X-light Pro, stand alone calibration, and ambient light sensor.

Also here are some places to purchase:

CDW (In stock)
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1399794

MacMall (Not in Stock, But low price)
http://www.macmall.com/

Monitor Outlet (Includes shipping)

http://www.monitoroutlet.com/

PC Connection (Not in stock, but low price and free shipping)
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8485410

Buy.com (Not in Stock, Lowest price and free shipping)

http://www.buy.com/

Amazon.com (Out of Stock)

http://www.amazon.com/

Bright and Sleek (In stock)

http://www.brightandsleek.com/NEC_LCD3090WQXI_LCD3090WQXI_BK_Display_p/lcd3090wqxi.htm

Direct Dail (Out of Stock, Very Low Price)

http://www.directdial.us/LCD3090WQXI-BK_NEC_MULTISYNC_PROFESSIONAL_30IN__WIDE.html

Frontier PC (Canadian but ships to US for 30$ on Average) (1 in Stock, 2 Coming)

http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=20191622G

Cendirect (Canadian) (1 in Stock, 2 arriving 4-27-08)

http://www.cendirect.com/main_en/tech_specs_JO03967H.html

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The warranty comes with a GUARNTEED 48 hour exchange for no cost.

Exchange for a refurbished monitor, right? Good luck with that. Also, what happens if they don't have any in stock at their service center? Again, good luck. I feel much safer buying from Dell in that regard - easy exchanges for new monitors, and easy refund.

For a product review go to www.dpreview.com (type: LCD3090WQXI-BK into search) someone has recieved one and gives some insight to the monitor.

Thanks. I like how people on that forum are honest about the deficiencies of the LG IPS panels, such as the grainy sparkly look on solid colors, and the fact that they aren't so great for text on white backgrounds. The grainy look, whites which never look quite white no matter what you do (even if they measure at 6500K), and the not-so-great contrast between black text and white background have always pushed me toward PVA.

Back