NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi-BK spotted

Thanks. I like how people on that forum are honest about the deficiencies of the LG IPS panels, such as the grainy sparkly look on solid colors, and the fact that they aren't so great for text on white backgrounds. The grainy look, whites which never look quite white no matter what you do (even if they measure at 6500K), and the not-so-great contrast between black text and white background have always pushed me toward PVA.

Where do get that? I read Dpreview forums regularly, the concensus there is pretty much the same as here, that IPS panels are the best for photo editing. I have seen much less mention of sparkly/grainy effect there than I have here.

I have seen a great number of people state that the NEC 2490/2690 are not sparkly/grainy and a very good AG coating. I have also read that current PVA panels have actually been getting worse in this respect. I have also seen a lot more people complain about text reading on PVA than on IPS. Personally I have found PVA panels unusable and won't buy another.

So is that honesty you are preferring or the fact that you are finding other people who agree with your opinions (and a seemingly cherry picked one at that).

"Small bleeding around the top border". This is what the owner of the NEC said at DP Review. Starting to sound like the same issue with the 3008. You would think that LG would fix this issue already !

Ah the Nec 2090 is what he seems to be complaining about. Which is an older IPS panel, likely in the vintage of strongest AG coating. He should look at a 2490/2690.

Dells issue was much, much worse. Some reported bleeding around the whole edge of the monitor. Dell taking the 3008WFP out of the channels because of "technical issues", is the first I have heard in LCD monitors.

Also, MacWorld and another magazine should have their reviews out in about 2-4 weeks or their next issue.

The LCD3090WQXI-BK may lack some inputs but it has a better stand (4-way stand: swivel, tilt, height adjustment (7.5 in compared to Dells 3.5 in), and pivot(portrait to landscape). The LCD3090WQXI-BK comes with a 4 year warranty compared to 3 years Dell. The warranty comes with a GUARNTEED 48 hour exchange for no cost. LCD3090WQXI-BK also comes with X-light Pro, stand alone calibration, and ambient light sensor.

Also here are some places to purchase:

CDW (In stock)
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1399794

MacMall (Not in Stock, But low price)
http://www.macmall.com/

Monitor Outlet (Includes shipping)

http://www.monitoroutlet.com/

PC Connection (Not in stock, but low price and free shipping)
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8485410

Buy.com (Not in Stock, Lowest price and free shipping)

http://www.buy.com/

Amazon.com (1 Left in Stock)

http://www.amazon.com/

Awesome! thanks for that. I just ordered that last one available on amazon. I've had my order in to pcmall for over a month now, and they've just been one giant headache.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome! thanks for that. I just ordered that last one available on amazon. I've had my order in to pcmall for over a month now, and they've just been one giant headache.

Glad I could help. When it arrives, please give us your thoughts on it.

In stock at CDW. I think I'll wait for someone to purchase and post a review though. Get buying people! ;)

Something to keep in mind if you buy one of these, compare shipping and sales tax for a total cost and check reseller ratings. I can't see why you would buy from buy.com with the ratings it gets. For those who don't already know, you can buy the calibration sensor and software from NEC for $275 (you don't really need the software but it is not cheaper to buy the sensor by itself from them) or you can buy just the sensor from the manufacturer, xrite, for $249 or $230 from B&H.

Here is a very small review from MacWorld, when it won Best of Show 2008:

"NEC MultiSync LCD3090WQXi, from NEC: For starters, the MultiSync LCD3090WQXi ($2,200) is huge, a nice, big 30-inch display. But that’s not unique. What sets it apart is a faster pixel response time, higher contrast ratio, and wider viewing angle than the Apple 30-inch Cinema Display. It also features several built-in tools that automatically adjust backlight and individual pixels to ensure color uniformity across the screen and over time. Unlike the Apple display, the NEC can be hardware calibrated and its onscreen menus let you easily fine tune color, brightness, and black level adjustment. At this price, it’s not for everyone. But it’s hard to imagine any Mac user who wouldn’t want one."

http://www.macworld.com/article/131642/2008/01/bos.html

Here is the video of the MacWorld tester talking about the LCD3090WQXI-BK

http://www.macworld.com/article/131662/2008/01/mwvodcast33.html (Move the scroll bar to 3:56 to see the LCD3090WQXI-BK review)

Added more resellers to purchase from:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1267626&page=6

Oh, I did not realized that newer Ips Panels had higher contrast ratio.

It's true that current Apple 30inches are two generation behind this panel.

-Tarc

Just received my two, here are my quick completely amateur impressions before calibration. Seem to work fine; so far can't find any bad pixels; does get warm (mostly on top) but not hot - you have to have your face less than half the recommended 20 inches away to feel it; noise that it makes is only noticeable when putting your ear next to it; no obvious backlight bleed. As to the "sparkly" panel, I'm sure it is a personal thing but I can see where it might bother some if reading a lot on a white background. As others have said, the default 100% brightness is way too much. My current p.o.s. computer can only do 1680x1050 for the second monitor so having a 2560x1600 right next too it really makes you appreciate the high resolution. Sorry I can't give any better feedback, my current computer can barely handle them and I am anything but a monitor aficionado. Compared to my old 19" Dell ultrasharps these are very nice.

Yeah anymore info would be appreciated, I have been thinking about this monitor but would like to know a few more things because I'm not 100% if I should go for one now.

If possible try it at different resolutions, how well does it scale especially at 1920x1200. What is Windows usage like and show sharp it is, also what Gaming like at that res and normal res. Cheers :)

Hi opt789, don't hesitate to share more of your impressions!!

don't hesitate a bit!

would also LOVE to see some photos of them in action. I can't imagine 2 of them!

my saga is finally coming to an end....I ordered "the last one" from amazon, but got a cancellation notice from them the next day, but it looks like CDW's price finally dropped to $2200 (was $2450 or so), so I ordered one to be overnighted for tomorrow. As of this morning they only had 7 left.

A little more info on my 3090s. I downloaded some 12mb bitmap pictures at full resolution, and I can say that 2560x1600 is amazing. It's similar to when I first got HD television and a plasma. I don't know why you would buy a 30" and not run it at its full capacity. As I said before, I can only do 1680x1050 on the second monitor right now and it does not look good.

Some things that are common to most 30" monitors are also an issue with the 3090. The heat from the top of the monitor is enough that you don't want to leave your hand up there, so with two of these I won't be turning off the AC. But, as I said it is more a matter of raising ambient temperature then feeling it on your face. It is not a small monitor, the footprint is large and the monitor is thick.

Some specific things to the 3090 that are of note, it is pretty much all plastic so that could be improved, and it is very easy to adjust. So it is a benefit if you adjust your monitor frequently (up, down, tilt, swivel, etc.) but it is so easy the monitor moves some just by clicking the menu buttons. Unlike some problems I have read about with other 30" monitors on the market, I have yet to have anything I would call a problem (fingers crossed).

I played a few games at high and low res at full-screen and they are fine. The problem is not the monitor but my current computer/video card can't handle much so I can't really test it well. I don't do FPS games online so I can't comment on lag because I don't notice any with what I can do at this point.

I would definitely recommend the SpectraView software. I did a calibration without it directly with the monitor, but the software gives you more options and control. The monitor looks great out of the box (after you turn down the brightness) but with calibration you can get it just how you want it, even if you don't do color critical work.

If I could I would change how hot it gets, how big the footprint is, a little less easy to adjust positioning, and some people would want a slightly less "sparkly" screen. Unfortunately there is no 30" out there that it perfect. As I said before the screen look is personal preference, if you are looking at a white background and focus your eyes on the screen you can notice the "sparkle." It is not a problem for me, but it would be up to the individual user to decide.

Overall I would say it is a lot of money, but it is an excellent monitor. I find myself staring at the high res pictures I downloaded and thinking "wow" that's a beautiful picture.

A little more info on my 3090s. I downloaded some 12mb bitmap pictures at full resolution, and I can say that 2560x1600 is amazing. It's similar to when I first got HD television and a plasma. I don't know why you would buy a 30" and not run it at its full capacity. As I said before, I can only do 1680x1050 on the second monitor right now and it does not look good.

Some things that are common to most 30" monitors are also an issue with the 3090. The heat from the top of the monitor is enough that you don't want to leave your hand up there, so with two of these I won't be turning off the AC. But, as I said it is more a matter of raising ambient temperature then feeling it on your face. It is not a small monitor, the footprint is large and the monitor is thick.

Some specific things to the 3090 that are of note, it is pretty much all plastic so that could be improved, and it is very easy to adjust. So it is a benefit if you adjust your monitor frequently (up, down, tilt, swivel, etc.) but it is so easy the monitor moves some just by clicking the menu buttons. Unlike some problems I have read about with other 30" monitors on the market, I have yet to have anything I would call a problem (fingers crossed).

I played a few games at high and low res at full-screen and they are fine. The problem is not the monitor but my current computer/video card can't handle much so I can't really test it well. I don't do FPS games online so I can't comment on lag because I don't notice any with what I can do at this point.

I would definitely recommend the SpectraView software. I did a calibration without it directly with the monitor, but the software gives you more options and control. The monitor looks great out of the box (after you turn down the brightness) but with calibration you can get it just how you want it, even if you don't do color critical work.

If I could I would change how hot it gets, how big the footprint is, a little less easy to adjust positioning, and some people would want a slightly less "sparkly" screen. Unfortunately there is no 30" out there that it perfect. As I said before the screen look is personal preference, if you are looking at a white background and focus your eyes on the screen you can notice the "sparkle." It is not a problem for me, but it would be up to the individual user to decide.

Overall I would say it is a lot of money, but it is an excellent monitor. I find myself staring at the high res pictures I downloaded and thinking "wow" that's a beautiful picture.

Thanks; A lot of good info here. What value are you running for brightness. I am hoping that you are not at the lowest possable setting like on the Dell.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks; A lot of good info here. What value are you running for brightness. I am hoping that you are not at the lowest possable setting like on the Dell.

Thanks

Dave
You have hit on the crux of the issue. White point of D65, gamma of 2.2, and monitor default contrast are usual choices but the cd/m for brightness is the hardest choice. Everyone is different, and depending on your application there is a relatively wide range from which to choose. I'm testing the 140 to 180 range.

noise that it makes is only noticeable when putting your ear next to it;

Can you or other owners of this monitor please tell more about the nois? What kind of noise is that? Does this monitor has any fans?

Can you or other owners of this monitor please tell more about the nois? What kind of noise is that? Does this monitor has any fans?

Just got mine and I hear no noise whatsoever...even with my ear 1/2" from the screen. This was the first thing I looked for when I got it, as the high pitched whine that some screens put out just kills me.

silent and beeeyootiful.

I'm thinking more for games and even for movies if the monitor has to scale things down. Also some older movies look very pixelated at 1920x1200 so at 2560x1600 they will look even worse.

So if you (or anyone else) doe get a chance to check it out at that res I'd appreciate your comments :)

Hashbang, sound and this monitor is in no way an issue. Other than making your room completely silent and putting your ear on the monitor you won't hear anything.

Jazzz, I played Half-Life2 in the max and min resolutions the game would let me choose and it was fine. As far as movies go I am not a good judge because I hate watching movies on computer screens, they all pale in comparison to a plasma imo, but I did throw in Phantom Menace on both my monitors and it looked ok. I am waiting for my new computer to see how the Blu-ray player looks on this monitor.

There are a few reasons not to buy this monitor, one is the price - it is not cheap, another is if you don't like the "sparkly" look of IPS, or you need a really fast monitor for gamming. Otherwise it is very nice.

A few questions for the owners of 3090.

1. Does this monitor calibrate well to sRGB?
2. Any backlight bleed issues?
3. Is there a chance of a picture of text on white background to demonstrate the sparkle effect?

Thanks a lot.

And to further pick the brains of those who own it:

-What is the difference between using the internal calibration vs. the Spectraview II software? As I understand it, both are adjusting the internal calibration of the monitor (gamma and colorspace from what the manual looks like), but what additional thing(s) can the Spectraview II software do that the monitor doesn't?

-If anyone owns Spectraview II, can it be used to calibrate non NEC monitors? Obviously it can't adjust the LUT like the it does for the NEC monitors, but I'd like to be able to use it for other monitors.

Just trying to figure out if I should spend money on the i1 with Display2 software, or the Spectraview II package...

Since no one else is chiming in yet I will give my completely non expert view of the last few questions.
sRGB - I'm no color expert so I don't know how to define "well".
Backlight bleed - if I put on just a black background and look for it I can see just a little at the top. I haven’t noticed this in any actual use of the monitor.
Sparkle - As I said before, anyone looking at the monitor on a white or light background can see the "sparkle" compared to the flat look of a non IPS. It doesn’t bother me or my wife, and I think it is completely personal opinion whether you will like it or not.
Calibration - there is no reason not to get Spectraview, but I don't know if it works on other monitors. The software allows you more control, can save various calibrations and settings, checks your monitors and restores them to calibration if something changes, gives you info like calibration graphs, etc.

Cathpah, are you seeing the same things as me? What are you impressions? What do you think about the backlight and "sparkle"?

Does it have a polarization filter? If you look at the screen from a diagonal angle and the brightness of black doesn't change, it has the filter.

I know not everyone has a CRT lying around, but would anyone who is fortunate enough to have a 3090 be willing to do some input lag tests?

opt789 Since no one else is chiming in yet I will give my completely non expert view of the last few questions.

opt789 thanks a lot for the input. "Well" means that the reported Delta E values after the calibration are as low as possible. I asked this question because of the known issue with the little brother of this monitor. The nec 2690 while able to calibrate to adobe RGB couldn't do the same to sRGB. As a result in office work and web surfing (and generally in non color aware applications like Photoshop) everyhting was oversaturated. So the question is:
Can you calibrate the 3090 to the sRGB standard unlike the 2690?

Since no one else is chiming in yet I will give my completely non expert view of the last few questions.
Backlight bleed - if I put on just a black background and look for it I can see just a little at the top. I haven’t noticed this in any actual use of the monitor.
Sparkle - As I said before, anyone looking at the monitor on a white or light background can see the "sparkle" compared to the flat look of a non IPS. It doesn’t bother me or my wife, and I think it is completely personal opinion whether you will like it or not.
Calibration - there is no reason not to get Spectraview, but I don't know if it works on other monitors. The software allows you more control, can save various calibrations and settings, checks your monitors and restores them to calibration if something changes, gives you info like calibration graphs, etc.

Cathpah, are you seeing the same things as me? What are you impressions? What do you think about the backlight and "sparkle"?

Yep....I'm right there with you. Backlight bleed doesn't seem to be an issue for me at ALL. Sparkle factor certainly isn't overwhelming...I'm not annoyed by it in the least.

I'm using my with spectraview and a color managed aRGB workflow, and it seems absolutely great. Also nice to be able to use firefox 3 as a color managed browser, so I've got no issues with day-to-day usage....and for my professional photography needs, It's absolutely perfect.

I'm not a PC gamer, so I don't have any input in that regard.

The only thing I might dislike about the monitor is it seems it takes a few minutes for the monitor to warm up, for the whites to be as white as they'll be after hours of use...etc. Certainly no big deal, but I usually let the monitor warm up for a minute or two before I start editing my work.

Like I said before...big and booootiful

Sound 31, does this SV output data help?
Target Intensity 180.0
Target White Point K 6506 K
Target White Point x 0.313
Target White Point y 0.329
Target Gamma Value 2.20
Calibrated Intensity 174.9
Calibrated White Point K 6596 K
Calibrated White Point x 0.311
Calibrated White Point y 0.328
Calibrated Black Level 0.48
Calibrated Contrast Ratio 363.8:1
Calibrated White Point Delta E 1.31
Calibrated Greyscale Delta E Average 1.13
Calibrated DICOM JND Per DDL Average 1.992
Calibrated DICOM JND Per DDL Standard Deviation 0.641
Primary Red x 0.678
Primary Red y 0.311
Primary Green x 0.203
Primary Green y 0.696
Primary Blue x 0.151
Primary Blue y 0.055
Native Intensity 350.14
Maximum Intensity at White Point 322.09

Trainee/Videomasterz, don't have a CRT so I can't help you there. I'm old and I only have old games so the best I can say is I have played Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 and I can't tell any difference between the 3090 and my Dell ultrasharp 1905. Well, except that fact that playing them full screen on 30" is awesome. Still waiting for my Alienware computer to try out Crysis.

Cathpah, you hit on a good point about warm up. The manual states to let it warm up for 20 minutes, and that means if you have power saving settings when you step away, you will have to wait for it to warm up again for it to be perfect. I would think that a screen saver instead of doing the power saving would work for those who are doing critical work.

Yelnats, I don't notice any difference in the brightness of blacks from an angle.

Back