NEC LCD2690

I'll give the colorcomp option a go tonight, thanks.

Guys,

Can anyone suggest a quality color meter and corresponding software. I'm now wishing I purshased the SV version. Currently, my color accuracy is horrendous! Currently, my Planar PX2611W looks far better.

Raz

i use a pantone one eye display2 and the spectraview software. or you can order the package from the NEC website.
the spectraview will allow you to access the 12 bit LUT in the monitor.

Is there actaully a physical device that I'm actually looking through to accomplish proper calibration? Sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to color calibration.

Raz

I don't know that expressing it as any kind of percentage would really be meaningful. Basically what you can get some information on is using the DeltaE scale. That is a method of describing how far apart (mathematically) two colours are. As applied to monitor calibration, you use it to describe how far a colour is from it's ideal. So in the default state, BeHardware found most of the colours to be between 4-10 (except for greys which were below 2). Calibrated everything was below 2, most of it below 1.

So what's that mean? Well most people can notice a change of 5 Delta-E or more in just about any case. Trained observers can do better, and even casual observers can see changes at little as .5 Delta-E in some cases (depends on the colours being compared).

So that means in an uncalibrated state, you could potentially notice the difference between a colour and it's ideal. Once calibrated, the colours on the screen are close enough that you can't tell they aren't correct.

So would this matter if you aren't actually comparing the screen to something like a printout? I don't know. I haven't seen one, so I'm not sure how internally consistent the colours are. After all, even if they are all off, if they are all off the same way it'll all look good.

I do know that calibration can be noticeable. I have a BenQ FP241W and I calibrate it and notice a decent improvement. The white looks a bit more neutral (it is a little red by default) and such. However, it isn't as good a panel, so who know's how it compares to the NEC?

Basically if you are worried about external accuracy, as in the picture on the screen matching a print out, or a colour sample then you definitely want to calibrate it as without calibration the colours could be noticeable different from ideal. If not, well then I can't say. Calibration certainly wouldn't hurt it, but then it might not be something that you really notice.

Also if you mean you are having a hard time finding the SV in stock, well then don't worry because you can't. It is special order. Just find a place that sells it, they'll then place the order with NEC for you who will actually ship it to you.

Thanks for that informative reply. You have convinced me to get the SV version.:)

Is there actaully a physical device that I'm actually looking through to accomplish proper calibration? Sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to color calibration.

Raz

yes
http://www.amazon.com/Pantone-MEU10..._24?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1207163735&sr=8-24

it comes with software but if you are planning or already have the 2690 then you would be probably using it for pro or semi-pro reasons then i would get the spectraview/x-rite hardware/software package from the NEC website, it will be about 50$US cheaper for the same thing as buying a seperate colormeter/spectraview bundle somewhere else online.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Raz

Raz you won't be looking at anything, there is a sensor you will attach (hang) on your screen and it will read the monitor information and adjust it accordingly.

Look here for an example or check out the NEC website for the Spectraview stuff
http://www.xritephoto.com/index.cfm?menuitemid=649

Here is the NEC page for the SV Colorimeter and software ($274.99 near the bottom). This IMHO is the best way to calibrate a 2690...

Have you guys noticed a "purple glow or discolration" when viewed off angle. It only seems to happen when viewed from one side versus the other.

Raz

Namorismo, unfortunately they've tested my RMA monitor and they said that they don't find any problems!! So they have sent it back to me and I cannot refund too since they have tested...

Guys,

Can anyone please confirm whether they get a purple glow/haze during a black screen when viewing off angle from either side?

Raz

The 2490 has it so I assume the 2690 wouldn't be any different. It starts off on the bottom of the screen and as you move more and further up off angle, it creeps up until the whole screen has the glow. This should be normal, as I've see 4 screens and all of them had the same characteristic.

The 2490 has it so I assume the 2690 wouldn't be any different. It starts off on the bottom of the screen and as you move more and further up off angle, it creeps up until the whole screen has the glow. This should be normal, as I've see 4 screens and all of them had the same characteristic.

Thanks for this!

Raz

Hi there, I'm from Europe (France to be precise). I've skimmed quite a bit through this huge thread but still haven't found an answer regarding the issues with the apparent firmware lock-out on EU monitors

1) Does the european non SV version of the 2690WUXi work with the US Spectraview II software? IE, if a friend in the US sent me the Spectraview II CD, would I be able to profile the display using the 12 bit LUT?

2) If not, is there an "unofficial" way of activating hardware calibration using the OSM on recent (april 2008) monitors?

This is an essential requisite for me as I've read on the Luminous Landscape forums that the combination of the US Spectraview software with the 2960WUXi gives breakthrough performance.

Thanks!

MK

Guys,

Can anyone please confirm whether they get a purple glow/haze during a black screen when viewing off angle from either side?

Raz

yes, this is common on IPS monitors. nothing to be worried about.

Just got my LCD2690 SV from NCIX in Vancouver yesterday. Overall, looks amazing, especially coming from the old CRT I used to have. The one thing I have noticed so far is that the four corners of the display are noticeably brighter and have a greenish hue to them, when I set the entire display to black (like running the basic Windows XP screensaver). I haven't had enough time to see at what drive level it goes away, or fails to be noticeable, and whether or not this is a problem for any of my work. More just idle curiosity at the moment. We'll see how crucial it is.

I'm wondering if anyone else has observed something like this?

I can confirm this with other S-IPS screens.

The angle has to be fairly severe though, and it only seems to happen on black, or near-black images.

The two that I have currently, and have seen this on are the Dell 2005FPW and LG 37LB5D, which I've only listed for reference.

Regards,

10e

yes, this is common on IPS monitors. nothing to be worried about.

I can confirm this with other S-IPS screens.

The angle has to be fairly severe though, and it only seems to happen on black, or near-black images.

The two that I have currently, and have seen this on are the Dell 2005FPW and LG 37LB5D, which I've only listed for reference.

Regards,

10e

Are you referring to the off angle purple glow?

Raz

I recieved my 2690 today and am a bit dissapointed. She has noticable backlight bleeding at the top right corner and above the blue led on the front panel. Will calibration of any kind correct this problem?

From a performance perspective, I see no ghosting, or blurring. It seems lag free.

Raz

I'm sorry that I haven't written before, but I needed to retrive the password to [H] and the email account that I have connected to [H]. Had much work, so I haven't had time until today.

I had a problem with image retention that manifested itself as extreme backlight bleed and clouding of black. It was so bad that I issued a service replacement on this screen. But, more as a stroke of luck, I managed to get rid of it totally. Never seen such radical change before. Here's the method I used:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13511

It might work for you too unless the backlight bleed is a physical flaw. :)

Yup, at the time I was, but apparently with the LCD2490 and LCD2690 the reddish off-angle glow is the work of the A-TW polarizer.

I can confirm that I have this on the LCD2690 that I just received on Monday.

Sorry for the super slow reply, as I've been messing with the monitor for the past few.

Regards,

10e

Are you referring to the off angle purple glow?

Raz

Hey there,

I just got the monitor about a week ago. I love it, BUT, there seems to be a fairly abnormal issue with it.

First off, the top of the panel does not seem secured properly. It feels like it's "floating" on like a spring loaded backing. Just cleaning it with very low pressure makes it creak back and forth like it's moving in the bezel. The bottom does not seem to suffer as much from this issue.

I think this has contributed to the screen having a number of stuck subpixels at the top on black screens. There is like 9 or 10 stuck green subpixels and 2 or 3 red ones.

I am assuming neither of these issues is normal?

Oh well, I guess I have to call them about this.

Wish me Luck :)

10e

Hi!
The monitor has ton's of settings (and even more in advanced menu). Do you have any recommendations how to make the deepest black? I turned on eco-mode blah, blah, but I'd like to have even more black? I mean toning the backlight intensity down. The black level is not as good on S-PVA, but one panel just can't be the best for everything.

Btw, is there anyone, whose 2690 is not making a buzzing sound? If you are close enough to its transformator or whatever it actually produces.

Thanks

If you want deeper black, all you can do is lower the brightness. There are no magic fixes.

If you want deeper black, all you can do is lower the brightness. There are no magic fixes.

I think 2690 control is more complicated than this. Changing the brigtness actually does not lower the backlight intensity more.

It's not that complicated. Brightness physically controls the backlight intensity. Contrast digitally controls the white level. Going above 50% crushes whites. Black level digitally controls the black level. Going below 128 crushes blacks. Low brightness mode just cuts the contrast in half.

The default settings already have the best contrast.

It's not that complicated. Brightness physically controls the backlight intensity. Contrast digitally controls the white level. Going above 50% crushes whites. Black level digitally controls the black level. Going below 128 crushes blacks. Low brightness mode just cuts the contrast in half.

The default settings already have the best contrast.

I think it works a bit different then o *VA monitors I tested. Never the less, you are right about the default settings being actually very good.

I received my replacement NEC LCD2690Wuxi yesterday after creating my RMA on Friday.

I have to comment that NEC's customer support is EXEMPLARY.

No stuck/dead pixels or subpixels. Panel is secured tightly and the build quality is flawless. No significant backlight bleed that I am able to detect even with lights off. Within 30 day returns are always new units.

I am absolutely loving this monitor now. I put it to 30% brightness and there is minimal (if any) dark detail loss. I will be calibrating tonight with the SVII-KIT and see how things go. I am aiming to set it at 140 cd/m2, as that is what I had the first unit at.

Regards, and thanks to all contributors on this thread.

10e

Yep, ToastyX is 100% right in this aspect. The default of contrast at 50% is perfect for almost any environment, and eye strain is not a problem at all.

Enjoy,

10e

I think it works a bit different then o *VA monitors I tested. Never the less, you are right about the default settings being actually very good.

I received my replacement NEC LCD2690Wuxi yesterday after creating my RMA on Friday.

I have to comment that NEC's customer support is EXEMPLARY.

No stuck/dead pixels or subpixels. Panel is secured tightly and the build quality is flawless. No significant backlight bleed that I am able to detect even with lights off. Within 30 day returns are always new units.

I am absolutely loving this monitor now. I put it to 30% brightness and there is minimal (if any) dark detail loss. I will be calibrating tonight with the SVII-KIT and see how things go. I am aiming to set it at 140 cd/m2, as that is what I had the first unit at.

Regards, and thanks to all contributors on this thread.

10e

Do you have any sound/hum/noise problems with the monitor?

Unless I put my ears to the vents I hear nothing from this monitor, and even when I put my ear to it I can only hear it very very slightly.

Both this and my BenQ G2400W are extremely quiet. My lit keyboard makes more noise than these two monitors put together.

Regards,
10e

Do you have any sound/hum/noise problems with the monitor?

Good place to put my question.

I'm thinking to Buy this LCD,, for me and for my friend.
of course i will buy it from NEC Europe.

Just i need to know if there's anything i have to take care.
anything i should be careful about. (problems, spec. etc..)

Thanks.

Good place to put my question.

I'm thinking to Buy this LCD,, for me and for my friend.
of course i will buy it from NEC Europe.

Just i need to know if there's anything i have to take care.
anything i should be careful about. (problems, spec. etc..)

Thanks.

Before you buy the monitor you need to study it's manual.

Have this TFT Test downloaded and ready to work. To download the test click on the small colored monitor icon in the upper left hand corner.

As for any LCD monitor you will need to check the panel for backlight and color distribution uniformity, and absence of dead pixels/subpixels.

The regular scenario.
Use black color screen from TFT Test to check backlight uniformity. Should be done in darkness.
Use white screen from TFT Test to make sure that there is no color contemination areas.
Use all colored screens to look for dead pixels/subpixels. They may or may not be visible depending on colors used.

In the worst scenario:
1. You may hear noise (that's bad) - use a quiet room for the test. Try different brightness setting - it may change the noise.
2. The panel may be loosely placed in the cabinet (that's not bad).
3. Grey screen may show some shimmering in the lower part of the panel. This defect may not be seen on other colors but may affect a sensitive eye.

Of course, the things from the worst list are very rare.
Those problems from the regular scenario are more probable but not necessarily present.
Anyway you are going to buy the best monitor in the market so far.

In the worst scenario:
3. Grey screen may show some shimmering in the lower part of the panel. This defect may not be seen on other colors but may affect a sensitive eye.

Thanks albovin for your comments,
i will take care of it.. :)

but i hope to know more about this problem.
is there any topic here talking about it!.
already i have LG 246wp-bn.
how bad is the shimmering?

and yes...one last question...how is the Blackness on this one?
i hope it is better than the LG :rolleyes:

Thanks albovin for your comments,
i will take care of it.. :)

but i hope to know more about this problem.
is there any topic here talking about it!.
already i have LG 246wp-bn.
how bad is the shimmering?

and yes...one last question...how is the Blackness on this one?
i hope it is better than the LG :rolleyes:

Shimmering is very rare. Very. It's a reason for replacement.
I just collected the worst things for you to be aware of.

Links to 2690
This thread is full of comments.
prad.de review
xtknight review

Black value
I owe 2490 - a closest relative. Its values in comparison.
It's similar to LG 245 MVA in measurements. But real presentation is better due to MVA viewing angles deficiency.
2690 black/contrast measured values supposed to be the same or slightly inferior to 2490.
2690 owners can measure that for you.
With 2690 you'll get 1080p full support which is not possible with LG246 (single HDMI with overscan and cropping).

Mr. albovin.

What about spectraview II parts?

Is there a model in Europe include this part with the Monitor? name please.
Will it work in Hardware Level or Software Level ?

Does it deserve to buy it even alone?

hope to find this answers before making my last decision.

Thanks Alot.

Mr. albovin.

What about spectraview II parts?

Is there a model in Europe include this part with the Monitor? name please.
Will it work in Hardware Level or Software Level ?

Does it deserve to buy it even alone?

hope to find this answers before making my last decision.

Thanks Alot.

In Europe you can buy the non Spectraview Multisync 2690 or the Spectraview 2690. The Spectraview 2690 comes with Spectraview 4 software which is rebadged basICColor display 4 software and a monitor hood. It will perform hardware calibration by adjusting the monitor's LUT with a suitable colourimeter (Eye One Display 2, Spyder 3, etc).

In Europe you cannot buy the Spectraview 4 software separately and upgrade a Multisync 2690 to a Spectraview 2690. The Spectraview 4 software will not perform hardware calibration on a Multisync 2690 - the option is greyed out. The European Spectraview monitor has different firmware preventing the Spectraview 4 software performing hardware calibration.

In North America the situation is better as there is no difference between the normal 2690wuxi and the Spectraview version. The Spectraview II software, which is written by NEC North America, is available separately from the monitor if you want to upgrade at a later date. It will perform hardware calibration by adjusting the monitor's LUT on all 2690wuxi monitors.

The Spectraview II software will probably perform hardware calibration on European 2690 monitors but to buy it you need a creadit card registered in the US/Canada so it is a hassle for Europeans to get hold of it. You will need a friendly American/Canadian to buy it for you.

Nobody is sure why NEC Europe has such a stupid policy and NEC North America is much more sensible.

I have recently bought a Spectraview 2690 (I live in the UK) as I wanted hardware calibration and find it difficult getting hold of the American Spectraview II software. The monitor is great. I find that the blacks, uniformity, and colours are great. There is a slight buzzing from near where the power lead plugs into the monitor I can hear in a quiet room but it is faint and not a problem for me. I hardly notice it and playing music etc. completely drowns it out.

Be aware that the 2690 is a wide gamut montior and so colours in non colour managed applications look very saturated - especially reds.

thanks mlewis for this great information.

The Spectraview II software will probably perform hardware calibration on European 2690 monitors but to buy it you need a creadit card registered in the US/Canada so it is a hassle for Europeans to get hold of it. You will need a friendly American/Canadian to buy it for you.

I can get Spectraview II software by my friends in usa, but is it sure will work or just a gamble?

i have to buy also a suitable colourimeter with Spectraview II to make the thing work.

So.. the last things to make everything clear to me.

Best for me paying Normal NEC 2690 “European” with Spectraview II “from USA” along with colourimeter “Eye One Display 2,”

Or better go with Spectraview 2690 instead!. What about Cost/Quality? is it the same?

Thanks a lot for all.

Minimize the headaches and get the SpectraView 2690.

I am in Canada, so I purchased the two separately. The difference in purchasing the package vs. the components separately is about $90.00 here in Canada, but I would assume that in Europe the difference would be larger, especially if you are going to get the monitor, then the software, then a supported calibration colorimeter.

Too much trouble IMHO :(

Regards,

10e

thanks mlewis for this great information.

I can get Spectraview II software by my friends in usa, but is it sure will work or just a gamble?

i have to buy also a suitable colourimeter with Spectraview II to make the thing work.

Best for me paying Normal NEC 2690 “European” with Spectraview II “from USA” along with colourimeter “Eye One Display 2,”

Or better go with Spectraview 2690 instead!. What about Cost/Quality? is it the same?

Thanks a lot for all.

Thanks a lot for all.

I found reports that SVII works OK with "european" NECs.
Sounds promising. The problem seems to be in the software, not in the monitor.
Sure there will be less headache with european SV (useless hood included) + colorimeter sold separately (with it's own software you'll have to pay for).
But more money.

The quality is the same.

I found reports that SVII works OK with "european" NECs.
Sounds promising. The problem seems to be in the software, not in the monitor.
Sure there will be less headache with european SV (useless hood included) + colorimeter sold separately (with it's own software you'll have to pay for).
But more money.

The quality is the same.

That's Good News.
so..this Monitor along with "SpectraView Kit – Colorimeter and Software" from the US-NEC site. i think this will be good.

Thanks alot for your value advise/Information which helped me alot to make my mind.

Back