NEC LCD2690

Yes it will use the full 12 bit. The document you arelooking at was written regarding the Medical Series and 80 Series LCD's which only use a 10 bit LUT.

Are you sure about this? The reason I ask is that this documentation correspond with the same that came with the CD. Also, the index in the gammacomp program only goes from 0-1023 per RGB (which gives 1024/10-bit if to count 0). :confused:

Edit: I know the monitor supports 12-bit, but do the program really support it as well?

Just out of curiosity what 30 inch NEC's do you have?? I am not aware of any 30 inch NEC out there unless you are referring to the 32 inch unit? Just wondering.

They are called NEC LCD3000. Maybe it is an old model that's not continued...?

Hey guys i know its a little off topic but i was wondering if anyone could explain this; my stuck pixel only shows up against green, yellow and white backgrounds, when its on the green it looks black and on the white and yellow it looks red. I'm under the impression that stuck pixels show up best on a black background, but mine doesn't show up at all on black? Is mine dead or stuck?

Hey guys i know its a little off topic but i was wondering if anyone could explain this; my stuck pixel only shows up against green, yellow and white backgrounds, when its on the green it looks black and on the white and yellow it looks red. I'm under the impression that stuck pixels show up best on a black background, but mine doesn't show up at all on black? Is mine dead or stuck?

Typically each pixel on an LCD panel is made up of 3 sub-pixels; one red, one green, and one blue. It sounds like you have a dead green sub-pixel, not a stuck pixel.

Looks like there's nothing that can be done then! Just my luck! Travbomb, whats the returns policy like when it comes to dead pixels?!!

Hiya, everyone. First post for me. I just got this monitor and I have to say it's awesome. I'm using it for making digital art and it's perfect for that. The colors and contrasts are amazing. Couldn't be happier. I've also tried it in some games and with overdrive on ghosting is not a problem.

Everything sounds great so far, even the reviews at WSGF. But one of my concerns, and I believe it was Tamlin's as well at one point, is the pixel pitch. So....is the "screen door" effect noticeable? If so, is it distracting? The monitor would be about 2 feet from my eyes (~24 inches or ~65cm). Is that close enough to see the pixels?

I am leaning towards the LCD2490 for this reason, but my primary purpose would be photoeditting, and I think the wider gamut of this monitor would be better for that. So it's a tradeoff (well, that and cost).

I took a measurement band and can say I couldn't spot it at 50 cm. Just wasted 15 minutes of my life staring at different colors looking for the "weave" of the screen door. When I get close enough to spot it (and I have to focus some to see it), then I can honestly say I have seen antiglare coating on screens with lower pixel pitch looking worse then this. I can spot the "screen door", but only very close (on 27 cm according to my band) and even then its minimal and non-intrusive. People see things differently, but in my opinion the screen door is a non-issue with this screen. I don't know what coating they use, but its very clear and not so "sandy" as some I have seen. I like it! :D

Does anyone know when the SpectraView version of the 2690 will be available in the USA? I'd rather buy that version if I could instead of having to buy a colorimeter and SpectraView software seperately.

I've seen pcconnection.com has it listed but they don't have any in stock -- no one seems to.

Does anyone know when the SpectraView version of the 2690 will be available in the USA? I'd rather buy that version if I could instead of having to buy a colorimeter and SpectraView software seperately.

I've seen pcconnection.com has it listed but they don't have any in stock -- no one seems to.

No one will stock that unit. Once you place an order some where the monitor is packaged with the colorimeter and software at the NEC warehouse in CA and then shipped out.

How will you do this? If you can repair it, do you think NEC could make repairs to sort out the noise? Is it technically difficult?
Not really. You just use your ear, find the part (or parts) that makes the noise (by using an amped microphone if necessary). Then look if and how the part can be replaced. In cases like this I doubt that NEC has 'branded' or 'unbranded' the numbers on the part(s) in question, so you'll know exactly what you need, and which part(s) will work as a replacement.
And if the numbers on the part are somehow taken off or painted over in order to hide them, you can try to get schematics from NEC (most brands do supply them if you ask, at least that's my experience if you make clear to them that you consider yourself to be technically skilled for the task). If NEC does not give you the specs for the part(s), you can measure its values when it's cut or soldered out, and 'copy' or improve those values for a replacement part.
Go to your electronics store (the hardcore ones who sell resistors and capacitors etc.), if needed show them the part you want to replace, if you know already just ask for one that's higher quality, one that does not make noise ;-) Sometimes they need to order it for you, and that can take some time (a month, maximum, is my experience). I luckily have a good long-time 'relationship' with one of those electronics shops experts behind the counter out here (the owner of the shop), so he'll know what I mean. It's the kind of guy who, when you take the part out of your pocket, immediately says: "Ah, you're suffering from a noisy power-supply", or he might even replace "power-supply" by the exact name for the part you have in your hands. (The guru-kind. Most electronics shops have at least one working there..)

The only hard thing to do is taking the screen apart, trying to get the part(s) out without damaging anything, either by cutting its contacts or by soldering it out. But as far as I can tell, from looking through the back of the 2690WUXi (with a flashlight shining in), it's built modular, with repairs in mind, and not so hard to take apart, so it's not like you're fixing a watch or iphone, they've constructed a very sturdy tech-friendly screen. (That's actually another plus for NEC!)

By the way, all this is of course if you're unable to maybe somehow fumble with the part, so that it stops making noise. But usually in such cases you just need to replace it, and it cannot be fixed by jamming your screwdriver against it ;-)

No one will stock that unit. Once you place an order some where the monitor is packaged with the colorimeter and software at the NEC warehouse in CA and then shipped out.

Ahh, cool. So as soon as the retailer notifies NEC about the order, do you have a guess what the turn around time would be from that point? Would it just be a drop shipment straight from NEC?

Travbomb, one more question: do you know if/when the SpectraView software will be updated to run on vista 64 bit?

Actually there are 8 reviews with the last reviewer receiving a poorly packaged DOA HP printer. Potentially looking to purchase 2 NECs, it's very big concern for me to drop $3,000 on product.

But let me know how your transaction goes. Maybe things have changed for them...dude :p

They must have recently combined all three of those sites together. When I was researching these guys a couple weeks ago, there were only three reviews. The latest review is from 10/2006 (didn't see that one in my search).

So far my transaction with them has been great. They confirmed stock and billed my order right away. I forgot that BoA issued me a new account # after the TJX hack a while ago, so my work address wasn't listed as an 'alternate address' with them. I received an e-mail about 2 hours later from Advanced PC informing me of this. I e-mailed back after I added the address, and they shipped it the next day. Just an FYI, it appears the only warehouse of theirs that has it is in Pomona, CA; so, ground shipping to me in MA is probably going to take the full 5 days. For that low a price and free shipping, though, I'm willing to wait for this beauty.

Not really. You just use your ear, find the part (or parts) that makes the noise (by using an amped microphone if necessary). Then look if and how the part can be replaced. In cases like this I doubt that NEC has 'branded' or 'unbranded' the numbers on the part(s) in question, so you'll know exactly what you need, and which part(s) will work as a replacement.
And if the numbers on the part are somehow taken off or painted over in order to hide them, you can try to get schematics from NEC (most brands do supply them if you ask, at least that's my experience if you make clear to them that you consider yourself to be technically skilled for the task). If NEC does not give you the specs for the part(s), you can measure its values when it's cut or soldered out, and 'copy' or improve those values for a replacement part.
Go to your electronics store (the hardcore ones who sell resistors and capacitors etc.), if needed show them the part you want to replace, but if you know already just ask for one that's higher quality, one that does not make noise ;-) Sometimes they need to order it for you, and that can take some time (a month, maximum, is my experience). I luckily have a good long-time 'relationship' with one of those electronics shops experts behind the counter out here (the owner of the shop), so he'll know what I mean. It's the kind of guy who, when you take the part out of your pocket, immediately says: "Ah, you're suffering from a noisy power-supply", or he might even replace "power-supply" by the exact name for the part you have in your hands. (The guru-kind. Most electronics shops have at least one working there..)

The only hard thing to do is taking the screen apart, trying to get the part(s) out without damaging anything, either by cutting its contacts or by soldering it out. But as far as I can tell, from looking through the back of the 2690WUXi (with a flashlight shining in), it's built modular, with repairs in mind, and not so hard to take apart, so it's not like you're fixing a watch or iphone, they've constructed a very sturdy tech-friendly screen. (That's actually another plus for NEC!)

By the way, all this is of course when you're unable to maybe somehow fumble with the part so that it stops making noise. But usually in such cases you just need to replace the part and it cannot be fixed by jamming your screwdriver against it ;-)

Thanks.

David

I took a measurement band and can say I couldn't spot it at 50 cm. Just wasted 15 minutes of my life staring at different colors looking for the "weave" of the screen door. When I get close enough to spot it (and I have to focus some to see it), then I can honestly say I have seen antiglare coating on screens with lower pixel pitch looking worse then this. I can spot the "screen door", but only very close (on 27 cm according to my band) and even then its minimal and non-intrusive. People see things differently, but in my opinion the screen door is a non-issue with this screen. I don't know what coating they use, but its very clear and not so "sandy" as some I have seen. I like it! :D

Ahhhhh, but if it was useful to someone, is it really a waste of 15 minutes? :D Thanks Tamlin.

Just received my NEC 2690 WUXI ... 3 subpixels!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: I was lucky nad bought extra warranty for any daed or subpixels so I can get it back. Now I'm thinking what would be smarter to exchange for new one (might again get pixels knowing my luck) or just buy BENQ 24 and save money!

Got mine today. Unfortunately it also has this annoying buzzing sound coming from the power supply. Otherwise the screen is great. Is there any chance to get it exchanged to a silent one?

Rao

Got mine today. Unfortunately it also has this annoying buzzing sound coming from the power supply. Otherwise the screen is great. Is there any chance to get it exchanged to a silent one?
Wow! It looks like China is going the exact same route that Europe and the US have taken decades ago. They've stopped using quality parts.

Here's my tip for the coming years:

Don't buy equipment that says 'Made in China'. Their economy is clearly suffering from strange excess growth due to undeserved praise, and they've lost their edge, now they let product demand go above quality and specs. How great: China has just stopped caring for the future. Now where do we get our cheap yet quality products from? India perhaps?

Travbomb:
Here's the gammacomp I got with the CD. As you can see, index doesn't have larger then 10bits range (0-1023). Using the 10-bit gammacomp would cripple my 12-bit gamma curve wouldn't it? Could you check with NEC if my suspictions are true (that this program only have 10-bits support) and also if there will be a 12-bit version coming soon? I run version 1.3.10 of Gammacomp.

Edit: As you can see, the black level at the end of the curve is flattened out/crippled by this "edit custom curve". There are no values for RGB from 0 to 6 and value 1 starts at index 7. :(

Wow! It looks like China is going the exact same route that Europe and the US have taken decades ago. They've stopped using quality parts.

Here's my tip for the coming years:

Don't buy equipment that says 'Made in China'. Their economy is clearly suffering from strange excess growth due to undeserved praise, and they've lost their edge, now they let product demand go above quality and specs. How great: China has just stopped caring for the future. Now where do we get our cheap yet quality products from? India perhaps?

First off there isnt an LCD on the planet that is not partial constructed in China. Secondly NEC uses the most expensive parts they possibly can to build these monitors. I have sent an email to engineering to see if they have any answers to why this is occuring.

First off there isnt an LCD on the planet that is not partial constructed in China. Secondly NEC uses the most expensive parts they possibly can to build these monitors. I have sent an email to engineering to see if they have any answers to why this is occuring.
Exactly my point: They should start thinking about other construction locations. I have nothing against the Chinese, but it's a logical result of their economic growth pattern. That's why I'm saying that China is slowly stopping to care for their future, since our demand and their business growth are so enormous, they start to think they can't go wrong anymore. It has undermined their need for quality control. Hence the use of bad parts. They've stopped caring.

As I wrote earlier: My 2690 isn't making much noise, but still, it's a LOT more than that of my 10 year old Iiyama CRT. Consider that: A really old high-powered röntgen tube monitor is a 9 on the silent scale, where my (p)2007 NEC 2690WUXi is a 6 (talk about the opposite of progress).
A little late for NEC engineering to check on parts that are in dozens of screens now. If they're smart, they'll take them all back and delay delivery once more.

.... I have sent an email to engineering to see if they have any answers to why this is occuring.

Thank you very much for doing this. I'll be really interested to see what they say. It's a great display but the noise is intrusive.

David

Mine is being replaced via DOA clause due to faulty panel/bezel fitting, but as I was talking to NEC tech I gave them a heads-up re: the buzzing power supply reports.

Oh, the one I have (which is outta here anyway) does have some buzz after all, but I have to mash my ear right up to the power supply area to hear it.

Hello everyone!

I got my 2690 yesterday and connected it via DVI (ATI) & UPS (Powerware). A quick test showed no dead/stuck pixels and I started to like this baby (albeit huge and expensive).

However the honeymoon ended 20 mins later as the screen started to emit a high-pitched sound, very lound - it could be heard in the next room!

Changing brightness & contrast settings didn't change anything. I recorded the sound and uploaded it here: http://www.axifile.com?5526331 (700 kb WAV).

This sound becomes unbearable in 30 minutes and I had to shutdown the PC. I'm VERY :mad: that NEC uses such junk parts for such a product.

mine makes that exact noise but only, i guess, much quieter, i have to put my head right behind the left side of the screen where the power cable goes in, and pretty close to, to hear it. I hope it doesn't get any worse, i don't think i could coupe with one stuck pixel and a load of noise for nearly £1000!!!

However the honeymoon ended 20 mins later as the screen started to emit a high-pitched sound, very lound - it could be heard in the next room!

Changing brightness & contrast settings didn't change anything. I recorded the sound and uploaded it here: http://www.axifile.com?5526331 (700 kb WAV).

Hi,

thanks a lot for the recording. I've got the same kind of noise and fortunately mine is by far more silent. I just called the German support, who told me that they have never heard of that problem before. So I told them how to find this thread and your post number. They said they would forward this issue to engineering who would call me back in one or two hours.

Rao

Hi,

thanks a lot for the recording. I've got the same kind of noise and fortunately mine is by far more silent. I just called the German support, who told me that they have never heard of that problem before. So I told them how to find this thread and your post number. They said they would forward this issue to engineering who would call me back in one or two hours.

Rao

Please let us know what NEC Engineering says.

David

I think how loud the high pitched tone is depends on what settings you use - primarily for Brightness - though people here are finding contradictory results as to what settings create the most noise. For me, High Brightness = very little high pitched hum, Low Brightness = Clearly audible high pitched hum. The mains buzz/hum seem to be pretty much unaffected by the Brightness setting (or Eco or any other Brightness settings). I think this means (for me) that the display is usable provided I don't want a brightness setting of under about 75%. This is not the end of the world, but is hardly acceptable in a near £1000 display.
I am looking forward to hearing what the NEC engineers have to say about this, though I hope they realise that the impact of the buzz and tone is much greater in a quiet working environment than in a busy one. I say this because I can imagine them taking back one of our "noisy" 2690s. putting it on a test bench in the repair shop, turning it on, and not being able to hear much noise (against the background noise of the repair shop and unless they experiment with Brightness settings), and wondering what all the fuss is about.

I don't know what others think.

David

Ok I need everyones help as soon as possible so we can get to the bottom of this.

1. Has anyone figured out exaclty where the noise is coming from i.e. backlight or power supply?

2. Can everyone let me know where they bought their units from. Mainly just need to know what country or continent for that matter to see if it is only a certain batch of units.

3. Finally is it a whine? buzz? or some other type of noise?

Please let me know as soon as you can. We are going to forward this info on to our engineering team in Japan to have it investigated.

Thanks

Ok I need everyones help as soon as possible so we can get to the bottom of this.

1. Has anyone figured out exaclty where the noise is coming from i.e. backlight or power supply?

2. Can everyone let me know where they bought their units from. Mainly just need to know what country or continent for that matter to see if it is only a certain batch of units.

Please let me know as soon as you can. We are going to forward this info on to our engineering team in Japan to have it investigated.

Thanks
Now see, this is why I spent a little more $$$ to get this level of support. NEC has always supported their products flawlessly. As long as they continue this, I will continue to buy from them.
I should be getting mine Monday. FedEx is just holding it out in Pomona, CA right now until their 'Ground - 5 business days' is up then overnight it to me in MA. Tards.

Thanks
Travbomb, follow the link by ZeMike. Sounds like a whine to me.

mine was bought from overclockers in the UK, i find that there is, as stated in a previous post, a buzzing coming from the power supply but only very quietly. My brightness setting was very low, turning it up didn't effect the noise level or kind coming from the power supply region, however i did notice that with the increase a new noise, again quite low in volume, emanates form the centre of the screen, a bit like the noise a kettle with a whistle makes when its boiling, i guess that's the back light. I'd like to reiterate that these noises are not at all bad, i only notice them because people have mentioned it. I hope this is helpful Travbomb as i guess the tiny noises i can barely hear are being amplified for some reason on other peoples monitors. If the situation changes i'll let you all know.

(I'd just like to add that there is little to no background noise where i have my monitor!)

On a different note can you get the gammacomp software for Mac users?

Thanks

I used a medical stethoscope to try to track this down and have changed some of my observations as a result.

1. Sounds: The dominant sound as you face the screen is a high pitched hum. It sounds a bit high to me to be a mains hum but I may be wrong. This sound is present all over the screen and seems to me pretty evenly distributed in terms of volume. It is not nearly so audible on the front case bevel. It can be heard all over the back of the case too BUT there is also a clear sound of frying (sizzling) coming from the rear top left of the case as you look at the screen from the front. I can't tell if the frying is the cause of the note or just associated with it - it is different in character to the high-pitched hum and additional to it.

The high pitched hum is definitely affected by the Brightness setting - but not in the way I thought previously. Using the stethoscope I found that the highest hum levels were at 0% and at 100%, with 41-53% being about the quietest. There are pitch changes in the high pitched note as the Brightness level changes 0%-35% is a high pitch, 36%-55% is lower (and less intrusive), and 56%-100" is higher again. Overal all, I'd say that 50%-100% is higher in volume than 0%-50%.

The other settings I used were Contrast: 50%, ECO mode: off, Auto brightness:eek:ff, Black Level: 50% and Colour Temperature: sRGB. Other settings were factory presets.

You have to get close to your screen to hear this but many of us who use our display for graphics work do get close to it - I work at around 50cm from the screen. At this distance I find the high pitched hum or whine very intrusive in a normal, quiet work room.

2. It's a Black display, bought in the UK (from Overclockers UK too).

3. See above on the type of noise.

Thanks for taking this up.

David

Hello everyone!

I got my 2690 yesterday and connected it via DVI (ATI) & UPS (Powerware). A quick test showed no dead/stuck pixels and I started to like this baby (albeit huge and expensive).

This sound becomes unbearable in 30 minutes and I had to shutdown the PC. I'm VERY :mad: that NEC uses such junk parts for such a product.

This sound has to be up near 3000 Hz, like from a cooling fan, not down near 60Hz like from the input power. Does anyone know if there is there an oscillator running near this frequency?

Hi travbomb,

Thanks for your help:

1. I tried to locate the buzz and its audible from all sides of the screen. There seems to be a noise maximum about 15 cm above the lower end on the left and right side, as shown here:
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a9300343/lcd2960/lcd2690_noisemax.jpg

2. I bought mine in Vienna -> Austria -> Europe

3. There seem to be more types of noises. As davidc described, there is a basic buzz/hum and a somewhat higher pitched noise. In my case the noise is not very loud, but still annoying. The noise I get is not dependent on the brightness level, but it changes it's sound a little if you change the brightness setting.
I did a recording where you first hear the background noise, turning the monitor on -> noise -> and off again. http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a9300343/lcd2960/lcd2690_2.wav or http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a9300343/lcd2960/lcd2690_2.mp3

hope this helps,
rao

Just to say that I tested the display for noise again after switching it and the pc off for a few hours and got quite different results for the effect that Brightness settings have on the high pitched hum (Billg's analogy of a cooling fan sound is very apt). The settings did alter the sound but not in the same way as before for particular percentage ranges. So I don't know - the Brightness settings affect the sound, but unpredictably it seems to me.

David

1 & 3. Source: Power supply parts, clearly. Very near the [1/0] switch left-side in the back.
As an audio-engineer my analysis is that the noise has two sources; one that generates a tone (yes, somewhat of a stable double sinus chord, even), and one that buzzes like a continuous cricket in the summernight. The tone source can be regulated by how much power the screen needs (in my case); More contrast and more brightness means a different frequency of the tone-source. Louder with higher power-use too. The tone source also alters when you power-up in Advanced Settings mode (you hear it switch to advanced). The buzz stays what it is at all times.

High-Quality stereo recording of it, as mp3 (1.5 MB).
Left-channel microphone directed towards tone-source (below 1/0 switch), right-channel mic directed at the buzzing source (from the top-left).
after 30 seconds I point both mics to the loudest audio coming from my iiyama CRT, for comparison.
Note that all is recorded at one level.

2. My 2690 Black was bought in The Netherlands ( obcs.nl ), Manufacture date: 2007, ISO week 4, EDID revision 1.3, if you like I can give you the SN?
You could ask people to copy paste info they get from moninfo: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm <- really handy tool!

Hope my info is useful. The noise from my 2690 is not very significant, but still louder than the noise coming out of my iiyama 17" CRT or 1993 Philips 25" (TV).

travbomb:

Monitor
Manufacturer description.... LCD2690WUXi
Manufacturer................ NEC
Serial number............... 71100321YB
Manufacture date............ 2007, ISO week 4
EDID revision............... 1.3
Display type and signal..... Digital

1) the noise is from the power supply, I also noticed that it changes if I tilt or move up or down the monitor.
2) the monitor was bought in Moscow, Russia
3) I have posted my recording of the sound.

After turning on my LCD2690 today the noise was so annoying, that I recorded it again. I did some noise reduction to emphasise the noise characteristics:

LCD2690_3 (wav 1,7 MB)
LCD2690_Noise reduced (wav 1,7 MB)
LCD2690_3 (mp3 233KB)
LCD2690_Noise reduced (mp3 233KB)

I did a frequency analysis of the noise reduced version, and found peaks at:
191 Hz/0dB (Reference)
382 Hz/-6.5dB
573 Hz/-13.5dB
764 Hz/-53dB
955 Hz/-33.5dB

LCD2690_Frequency (jpg 123KB)
LCD2690_Frequency Raw Data (ZIP 526KB)