NEC LCD2690

To save Travbomb coming back again to answer this... No, neither of these screens have a glossy coating although there will be a 24WMGX2 which obviously will have. I got this info from this thread btw. Apparently due out in April, which is also stated in this thread.

Thanks for the clarification. I've been reading this whole thread, but got confused by a posting above referring to Nec's use (I guess sometimes) of reflective coatings.

2609 review http://www.behardware.com/articles/648-1/nec-multisync-lcd2690wuxi-the-first-26-inch.html

yeh well i dont think ill buy this display after reading that :p for the money it costs i expect perfection.... BUMMER oh well, back to square 1.

I don't see anything bad about this display, even after reading that review (apart from it's dot pitch - that's the only thing stopping me from ordering it today, I'm still not sure if 2x 2090UX would be better solution for me). NEC 2690WUXi is clearly monitor for graphic professionals / photographers etc., and in that aspect it's brilliant. It's also marketed as such (to quote NEC website: "Specially designed for professional use in the fields of CAD/CAM and DTP, banking and insurance").And even BeHardware states in that review that although it has not-so-brilliant response time, it's still good for gaming and movies. If you're in the market for gaming monitor, you should be looking other way anyway, since there are better (and bigger) monitors for gaming, at same or lower price.

To each his own, but I think this monitor is great, and everyday I want to cry over 1920x1200 resolution.

2609 review http://www.behardware.com/articles/648-1/nec-multisync-lcd2690wuxi-the-first-26-inch.html

yeh well i dont think ill buy this display after reading that :p for the money it costs i expect perfection.... BUMMER oh well, back to square 1.
I don't know how you can say that based on a review that basically tells you nothing.

I can tell just by looking at the afterglow photos that overdrive isn't enabled on their unit because there's no inverse ghosting like there is on every other monitor with overdrive. Without overdrive, the response time would be more like 16 ms, which explains the poor response time they were seeing. That one French site seems to have the same photos.

As for the color tests, they didn't even test the internal hardware calibration feature, which is one of the biggest features of this monitor. It seems out of the box, the colors aren't perfect, but after internal calibration, the colors should be near perfect, and gradients should be perfectly smooth.

As for "twinkling effects" as they call it, they say that about every monitor these days. Of course you'll see "twinkling" in movies. The "twinkling" is caused by video noise in the video itself. DVDs and videos you find online aren't anywhere near perfect quality. They're low-resolution with compression artifacts and video noise. The better the monitor, the easier it will be to see those artifacts.

Basically, this review tells me nothing about how the monitor really performs.

Yes id say this display is for gfx pro's and medical rooms etc as NEC states, i was hoping for a bit more of an allrounder performance from this display (also input lag concerns), i do want to play games on it but i dont play game all that offen anymore. I am not saying this is a poor display, its just not going to suit my needs for what im looking for, i think ill get something a little cheaper and with all the 3000:1 contrast tft's comming out really soon, there will be many new options. I am happy for this :D
But basically im not a gfx artist or cad designer, i cant justify the price tag of this display for my needs :D I also think NEC waited too long to release this and it could well be obsolete really soon, if it was released last year in august, it would of owned.
It is the nicest looking display ive ever seen tho, and i drool over all the siik NEC hardware that they use in stargate atlantis :cool:

I saw the NEC 2690 today at MacWorld. It's gorgeous! Mr. NEC-man said that it's in mass production now, and they've released the SKU so that resellers can accept orders. He said to expect delivery in very early February. MSRP $1499.

I need one.

Basically, this review tells me nothing about how the monitor really performs.

I didn't read the review. In the last 4 months of researching monitors I have found monitor reviews to be scandalous for their misinformation and bias. Dell almost always gets a glowing review and yet when they swap in crap panels on the sly you read almost nothing about it. A look at all the Dell ads around the pages of a review site is enough to tell you what's going on.

I saw the NEC 2690 today at MacWorld. It's gorgeous! Mr. NEC-man said that it's in mass production now, and they've released the SKU so that resellers can accept orders. He said to expect delivery in very early February. MSRP $1499.
Great news. Finally it can be ordered. Too bad it still takes almost one month before delivery begins. And who knows how long it takes to get one here in Europe. Meanwhile there should be some reviews out.

NEC-man here in Sweden told me - July 2007 :( :mad:

:eek:

Are you sure about that? (2x) 2090UXi it is than for me, can't wait that long. But as I understand it should arrive in UK around same time as in US...I don't know, I just know that 2690WUXi is too much delayed, NEC is loosing money everyday not releasing it, lot of people were ready to buy that display even in August, but in the meantime they settled for something else.

Any idea what the pricing will be on the 2490?

I am thinking to get this monitor for my photo works. But the problem is I also play games and watch divx in my PC. will this LCD produces ghosting for games/movies?

I got the same problem. Especially lag thing is concering me.

To be honest, if your worried about lag, i'd hold out untill some more reliable reviews come out. The BH review can't be taken as fact as the monitor must have been a pre-release. As stated previously, by others, who know a great deal more than i do, the probability that the overdrive wasn't on also lends itself to a reduction in performance with regards to moving images. That been said, this monitor has been designed primarily for graphical use, hardcore gamers should take a step back and wait for the, dare i say it, dell 27"!! Those that use games now and then, i'm sure you can cope with a little lag, thats if the monitor really does have any?!!

NEC just announced teh 24 and 26 inch units this morning. You should be able to find pricing online now.

I would have taught that the price of the 2190 would go down after the annoncement of the 2690.... Nec price the 2690 at 1699$US and the 2190 at 1499$US...Seem's to me that they should revise the price of the 2190$$$ it sounds expenssive now compare to 2690 and it's advantages....:confused:

Could someone please explain how we can benefit from wide gamut displays when the DVI input to these monitors are still only 8-bit. Suppose the 2690 was capable of displaying 100% of Adobe RGB. How would we benefit if the monitor is not receiving 100% AdobeRGB as its input? It is my understanding that DVI output is only 8-bit for the most part.

Perhaps someone could chime in and explain. Trav Bomb :)

I don't think there is a specific restriction for the DVI cable concerning bit depth, Although they are restricted to a certain bandwidth. One such bandwidth restriction is 1920x1200@60Hz-32bit (for 32bit read 8bit per channel). Now I suppose you could have 960x600@60Hz-64bit through a single link DVI (I may be wrong) but for a decent resolution with all thouse colours you would need to go to Dual DVI. This is all in theory based on bandwidth though, I don't think anything supports this kind of specification. Display devices that support more than 8bit are starting to come out, the cable they'll use to transfer the data will most likely be HDMI 1.3.

All this is irrelevant for your question though. The NEC LCD2690WUXi supports a wider colour gamut (colour space) but this only improves the colour space that you can see. Most other LCDs only seem to reproduce around 70% of the Adobe RGB colour space, so this could well be a good thing. I have looked at TVs that support this feature though and I struggle to see the difference when they are right next to each other.

I don't think there is a specific restriction for the DVI cable concerning bit depth, Although they are restricted to a certain bandwidth. One such bandwidth restriction is 1920x1200@60Hz-32bit (for 32bit read 8bit per channel). Now I suppose you could have 960x600@60Hz-64bit through a single link DVI (I may be wrong) but for a decent resolution with all thouse colours you would need to go to Dual DVI. This is all in theory based on bandwidth though, I don't think anything supports this kind of specification. Display devices that support more than 8bit are starting to come out, the cable they'll use to transfer the data will most likely be HDMI 1.3.

All this is irrelevant for your question though. The NEC LCD2690WUXi supports a wider colour gamut (colour space) but this only improves the colour space that you can see. Most other LCDs only seem to reproduce around 70% of the Adobe RGB colour space, so this could well be a good thing. I have looked at TVs that support this feature though and I struggle to see the difference when they are right next to each other.

This is true,

The color gamut has nothing to do with the DVI spec. If you buy a AdobeRGB monitor, use the right corresponding color space and don't mes up you monitor calibration, then you will see AdobeRGB. I personaly doubt if you notice the difference in real life images. Furthermore no printer is capable of printing AdobeRGB.

The 2690 has a simple 8 bit DVI connection, so it's color accuracy will be LESS then sRGB monitors. An sRGB monitor uses 256*256*256=16.78mil different colors out of the 70% AdobeRGB color space. The 2690 monitor selects *only* 16.78 mil colors out of 92% AdobeRGB color space.

Only the very-very expensice NEC Spectraview Reference monitor has a 10bit DVI connection that can select 1024*1024*1024=1bilj colors out of 92% AdobeRGB color space. As far as I know only the ATI FireGL video card supports 10 bit DVI. However this card doesn't make sense with the 2690, since the monitor has only an 8 bit connection.

I got this info from the NEC USA customer support.

This is true,

The color gamut has nothing to do with the DVI spec. If you buy a AdobeRGB monitor, use the right corresponding color space and don't mes up you monitor calibration, then you will see AdobeRGB. I personaly doubt if you notice the difference in real life images. Furthermore no printer is capable of printing AdobeRGB.

The 2690 has a simple 8 bit DVI connection, so it's color accuracy will be LESS then sRGB monitors. An sRGB monitor uses 256*256*256=16.78mil different colors out of the 70% AdobeRGB color space. The 2690 monitor selects *only* 16.78 mil colors out of 92% AdobeRGB color space.

Only the very-very expensice NEC Spectraview Reference monitor has a 10bit DVI connection that can select 1024*1024*1024=1bilj colors out of 92% AdobeRGB color space. As far as I know only the ATI FireGL video card supports 10 bit DVI. However this card doesn't make sense with the 2690, since the monitor has only an 8 bit connection.

I got this info from the NEC USA customer support.

Given that these monitors will be less accurate then sRGB monitors, does this mean that they could potentially show more posterization?

Sure the monitor is capable of displaying more colors, but at the same token there is the possibility for higher deltas in color accuracy. So the question is, is this trade off worth it?

Dave

Furthermore no printer is capable of printing AdobeRGB.

Granted most CMYK injet printers would not be able to reproduce the Adobe RGB gamut, but given that the NEC 2690 is marketed to professionals, it wouldnt be far off to think the 'Cannon Professional Photo series' printers - Photo PIXMA Pro9000 and the like - would be used in conjunction with that monitor; those printers would be able to replicate a good chunk of the Adobe RGB.

http://www.canon.ca/english/index-products.asp?lng=en&gid=2&sgid=20

They advertise the 2690 at CDW.COM So I Try to get some info at CDW, they e-mail me they wont get it BEFORE 2 to 3 weeks minimum!!! at CDW in Canada it's not before 30 days!!!:mad:
Wich tells me it might be Longer than that...So feed up of waiting...It's always push back....at this rate it will be out this spring or this summer:eek: ...
I'm starting to think i should go with Eizo...and caugh up the $$$$.

They advertise the 2690 at CDW.COM So I Try to get some info at CDW, they e-mail me they wont get it BEFORE 2 to 3 weeks minimum!!! at CDW in Canada it's not before 30 days!!!:mad:
Wich tells me it might be Longer than that...So feed up of waiting...It's always push back....at this rate it will be out this spring or this summer:eek: ...
I'm starting to think i should go with Eizo...and caugh up the $$$$.

Product arrives this week at our California warhouse and will be shipping next week. i will post once i get word it has arrived for sure.

Can someone tell me why, if it is shipping this week, NEC haven't sent out any early, finalised*, models for the reviewers to checkout, so that the punters can decided if it's the monitor for them/us?

*I say finalised because i don't believe the model BeHardware reviewed can have been a current release production model, with it being so early and the fact that no one else has been able to get there hands on them!

It's been for sale in Europe since late November.

It has been for sale but Europe has not gotten any product yet either.

An handful of units were sent out to reviewers after Mac World so more reviews should be coming out shortly.

I would recommend checking out the article and podcast from MacWorld about why the monitor was given best in show.

An handful of units were sent out to reviewers after Mac World so more reviews should be coming out shortly.

I would recommend checking out the article and podcast from MacWorld about why the monitor was given best in show.

I will believe it when I see it. Everything that you have said so far is nothing but total rubbish.

I will believe it when I see it. Everything that you have said so far is nothing but total rubbish.

I can only report what they tell me. At this point they are already on their way so short of a Typhoon they will be here this week.

i have see the video,it's totally sxxk......what a great video,lmao

Way to be a loudmouth and insult a contributing member of this forum. travbomb has provided a lot of inside info about products that we otherwise wouldn't know about until months later when said products are officially announced or hit the market. I doubt you can claim the same.

i agree, travbombs info might not always be spot on but at least its info. Everything that you read on these forums should be taken with a pinch of salt, especially pre-release. Things change, delays occur, but those little snippets of info keep us, as upto date as possible, on products released by companies who don't seem to tell us anything!

Overhere in Holland (Europe) online shops claim it's available from 26-01'2007.

But it's to late for me, I am happy with my Eizo :D .

Back