NEC LCD2690 + PS3

jimmy43

n00b
Hey I just got the MGS PS3 Bundle and I would like to hook it up to my 2690.
What sort of adapter do I need for that? Is there any other tips on connecting the PS3 to the 2690?

Thanks

I am a bit confused between DVI-D and DVI-I. Which one am I supposed to use for the PS3?
How can I wire the sound from the PS3 to my speakers? Also where can I buy something like this..

Thanks

DVI-D will only take a digital signal. DVI-I will take analogue and digital signals. It shouldn't matter wich one is used with your PS3. All you need is a HDMI-DVI cable.

As for sound, you could use the optical out on the PS3. If it has standard analoque audio connectors you could use those.

Both ports work for your PS3, but I would use the DVI-I adapter for PS3 and DVI-D for PC.

You have two sound output options:

1) Optical out to a Dolby digital compatible receiver or speakers like the Logitech Z-5500
2) Audio out through the AV cable that comes with it. The red and white cables are right and left out, respectively. You can route these somehow to a computer speaker set if you want, or maybe a portable stereo system as well.

Regards,

10e

Thanks everyone, I already got myself some Monster HDMI-DVI Cables for $99 on sale!

just joking. ;)

The second one wouldn't work because the adapter you linked has a male 3.5mm end and computer speakers also have a male 3.5mm end.

In my experience, computer speakers connect with a separate cable with a male 3.5mm plug going into both the speakers and into the computer...even so, there are 2 rca to female 3.5mm cables.

Thank you. I too have a NEC LCD 2690 and am considering getting a PS3. You made it clear what video cable I will need but I remain confused what audio cable I will need.

Could you please look at the Back View (Amplifier) photo of my speaker amplifier.
http://www.targetpc.com/hardware/audio/speakers/videologic_crossfire/index3.shtml

Am I right that I will need to connect an audio cable from the PS3 to the Red and White Input 2 connectors on my amplifier? Note that those two input connectors are female RCA jacks.

Can someone please point me to the appropriate cable that I should get?

Thanks!

Hey,

Those speakers were legendary back in the day. Nice.

You can get stereo using the as-shipped A/V cable that comes with the PS3 by connecting it into the left/right channels of the amplifier.

To get full surround you would need a DD Decoder or receiver of some sort.

Regards,

10e

Thank you. I too have a NEC LCD 2690 and am considering getting a PS3. You made it clear what video cable I will need but I remain confused what audio cable I will need.

Could you please look at the Back View (Amplifier) photo of my speaker amplifier.
http://www.targetpc.com/hardware/audio/speakers/videologic_crossfire/index3.shtml

Am I right that I will need to connect an audio cable from the PS3 to the Red and White Input 2 connectors on my amplifier? Note that those two input connectors are female RCA jacks.

Can someone please point me to the appropriate cable that I should get?

Thanks!

Hey,

Those speakers were legendary back in the day. Nice.

10e

I anticipated drawing such a response once you clicked on that link :)
The mid-range clarity and imaging accuracy in the sound stage is still unmatched in a PC speaker system which is why I remain with them.
You can get stereo using the as-shipped A/V cable that comes with the PS3 by connecting it into the left/right channels of the amplifier.
10e
Good to know that 10e - thanks!

Hey, so what happened with the PS3 + Nec 2690wuxi?
I was thinking of doing this myself.

were you forced to use 1280x720?
I thought I read that in the manual

Thanks

You shouldn't have to. 480p, 720p, and 1080p all work perfectly on the NEC with PS3 or Xbox 360 over HDMI to DVI, as well as Xbox 360 over VGA. Only 1080i doesn't work because the NEC doesn't support interlaced.

Regards,

10e

Thanks

I bought a PS3+MGS4 bundle. Also picked up Planet Earth Blu-ray :)

Works well but the picture seems too bright even after changing the settings in the PS3 to full HDMI (something like that).
It seems to ramp up the brightness for games. Movies look great.

BTW, any suggestions on what to calibrate the monitor to for PS3? 6500k + NTSC gamma sound right? Or should I use SRGB or 2.2? (thankfully the 2690wuxi has hardware calib for each input!)

Thanks

I have the same problem.

I use 2690 as a PC monitor. After re-installed the XP SP3 (formatted C: during installation), I just installed the driver of 2690 and the driver of display card, my display card is ASUS EN7900GTX/2PHT/512M, with HDCP compliant. I use DVI-D to connect display card and 2690.

I set the resolution is 1920x1200.

If the HDCP of 2690 is "OFF", everything is ok. But if I changed HDCP to "ON", and restart the computer, the resolution of 2690 was forced to 1280x720, and the driver of 2690 lost, it became to "default monitor" (something like that, because my OS is not English).

Please help me to figue out this problem.

According to 10e, this my be the problem of display card working on interlaced mode. If so, how can I set the display card to De-interlaced mode.

Sorry for my poor English.

Thanks a lot.

The "HDCP" option is a misnomer. It doesn't really enable or disable HDCP. As far as I can tell, HDCP is always enabled. The HDCP option basically changes what resolutions it reports as being supported, and it changes what it reports as the native resolution (720p instead of 1920x1200). I recommend leaving it off. The PS3 will work regardless of the setting. You can use the PS3 at 1080p and 720p. It's 1080i that's not supported.

Hey howd did it go did you hook up the ps3 yet? any pics of the screen quality co im really interested in this monitor :D

The HDCP setting does not affect HDCP compatibility. With the setting at "off" everything will work as it should whether PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 over HDMI to DVI-I/DVI-D.

I have heard that with PC and the HDCP setting enabled, the monitor will only allow a max resolution of 1920x1080/1080p which some older cards do not support properly.

Keep the setting on "off" and it will work flawlessly with whatever you throw at it except for interlaced resolutions.

Regards,
10e

I have the same problem.

I use 2690 as a PC monitor. After re-installed the XP SP3 (formatted C: during installation), I just installed the driver of 2690 and the driver of display card, my display card is ASUS EN7900GTX/2PHT/512M, with HDCP compliant. I use DVI-D to connect display card and 2690.

I set the resolution is 1920x1200.

If the HDCP of 2690 is "OFF", everything is ok. But if I changed HDCP to "ON", and restart the computer, the resolution of 2690 was forced to 1280x720, and the driver of 2690 lost, it became to "default monitor" (something like that, because my OS is not English).

Please help me to figue out this problem.

According to 10e, this my be the problem of display card working on interlaced mode. If so, how can I set the display card to De-interlaced mode.

Sorry for my poor English.

Thanks a lot.

You can try and set auto luminance through the advanced modes to 140cdm/2 to help reduce the brightness. Your calibration settings sound good to me.

I'm using 6500k, 2.2 gamma, and 140cdm/2 and I'm extremely happy with the PS3 picture. I also set the Bluray portion to RGB full by hitting the triangle with a Bluray playing and going to AV settings, where I set Video Output format to RGB and enabled RGB full range.

Looks great. No crushed blacks or limited dynamic range to the picture. Very good.

I'll post some photos this weekend on this thread.

Regards,

10e

I bought a PS3+MGS4 bundle. Also picked up Planet Earth Blu-ray :)

Works well but the picture seems too bright even after changing the settings in the PS3 to full HDMI (something like that).
It seems to ramp up the brightness for games. Movies look great.

BTW, any suggestions on what to calibrate the monitor to for PS3? 6500k + NTSC gamma sound right? Or should I use SRGB or 2.2? (thankfully the 2690wuxi has hardware calib for each input!)

The screen quality is excellent.

Here are some shots. Forgive the slight blur, it is from the elevated exposure on the camera (ie. longer shutter time). This is also why the LEDs look blurry and brighter than normal. I also took them from a slight angle to remove the glare from the window behind me.

Corpse Bride on BluRay from PS3:

2639501408_24592c09ba_o.jpg

GT5 Prologue intro on PS3 @ 1080p:

2639500898_26e7ec2d56_o.jpg

They are also a bit darker than real life, but the colors are strong and the monitor is super sharp. It also does a great job of upscaling 720p games which are prevalent on the PS3. This monitor excels at consoles over HDMI to DVI cables. My shots were done with the PS3 over the DVI-I.

The BluRay shot was taken with the BluRay Player set to RGB and Full Range RGB in the A/V settings.

Regards,

10e

Hey howd did it go did you hook up the ps3 yet? any pics of the screen quality co im really interested in this monitor :D

Back