NEC 2490WUXi - The Full Story

I finally got around to calibrating using the SpectraView software...very noticable improvement after calibration...but it almost looks a bit too dark now although maybe my eyes just need some time to adjust after using the default settings for all these weeks...whites also look more grey now

my question is since calibration takes place at the hardware LUT level of the monitor how would I be able to revert back to the default settings again if I wanted to?...simply changing the display OSD settings back to their default settings would not change the LUT settings correct?

There is a "factory reset" type option within the OSD if you wish to revert back to, well, factory/default settings.

There is a "factory reset" type option within the OSD if you wish to revert back to, well, factory/default settings.

but since calibration takes place at the hardware LUT level of the monitor would simply changing the display OSD settings back to their default be enough?...isn't the OSD separate from the LUT or am I mistaken?

I guess what I'm really asking is what's the difference between calibrating the monitors hardware LUT vs manually changing the settings via the monitor's OSD?...are they 2 separate things or the same?

Last edited:
They should be related, but the OSD doesn't give you everything in the LUT; the LUT contains much more than the OSD enables you to change (I'm thinking stuff like white point and gamma here.)

They should be related, but the OSD doesn't give you everything in the LUT; the LUT contains much more than the OSD enables you to change (I'm thinking stuff like white point and gamma here.)

so then if after changing the white point, gamma etc via the hardware LUT how would I get those settings back to default?...changing the OSD settings back to default would not reset the LUT as well correct?

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do.
Are you trying to simulate the "Factory Preset" option by going throughe very other menu?

I have to ask why you would want to do this; if you are trying to restore back to defaults, that single option is the only thing you need, you don't need to mess with setting 5 other options back to what you remember as default.

That said, I'm sure you could probably figure out a way to use the various menus and sliders to get back to default, but I don't know how, and I'm not really interested in replicating the effects of one option by doing it in an inefficient way.

The factory reset option will reset EVERYTHING on the LCD to factory - that's the whole point of the option. If you want some sort of "selective reset" then yes, you'll have to go through every option (brightness, contrast, black level, sharpness, gamma, and color control) and set them back to whatever the default was. Even then, I'm not sure if there's anything else that Spectraview alters that isn't accessible via the OSD.

anyone get the colormunki to work?

I can calibrate in colormunki, but spectraview doesn't see the calibrator. I have even tried to uninstall all the colormunki software. My XP Pro see the device as an i1 Display and not a ColorMunki.

help...

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do.
Are you trying to simulate the "Factory Preset" option by going throughe very other menu?

I have to ask why you would want to do this; if you are trying to restore back to defaults, that single option is the only thing you need, you don't need to mess with setting 5 other options back to what you remember as default.

That said, I'm sure you could probably figure out a way to use the various menus and sliders to get back to default, but I don't know how, and I'm not really interested in replicating the effects of one option by doing it in an inefficient way.

The factory reset option will reset EVERYTHING on the LCD to factory - that's the whole point of the option. If you want some sort of "selective reset" then yes, you'll have to go through every option (brightness, contrast, black level, sharpness, gamma, and color control) and set them back to whatever the default was. Even then, I'm not sure if there's anything else that Spectraview alters that isn't accessible via the OSD.

sorry about my confusion...yes the OSD can restore everything to factory defaults...I understand that...but what I'm worried about is the fact that the hardware LUT calibration calibrates some settings which are NOT available via the OSD...so by resetting the OSD to 'factory default' yes it will reset everything in the OSD to default...but I'm worried about the options that are not available in the OSD (like the white point etc) which I changed when calibrating my LCD with the SpectraView software...how can I get those particular LUT settings (which are not available in the OSD menu) back to default?

I'm fairly certain that the Factory Reset button does reset everything, including white point and other hidden things back to default.

When I called NECDisplay to troubleshoot some problems, that was the first thing they had me do - find and use the Factory Reset button.

I can't comment about ColorMunki though, all I've used have been 2 NEC-branded i1d2's, a non-NEC Gretag MacBeth i1d2, and an i1pro spectro. They've all been plug 'n play as far as I remember, the drivers were all there.

Hi everyone, I've anxiously awaiting a new 2490 for some time. The first place I ordered from didn't come through. Had ordered the WUXIBKSV and after waiting for 3 long weeks the store kept giving me the run around. I ended up ordering from another company but they do not have the SV version so I just got the Bk for now and will order the Spectraview Kit at a later date.

I noticed on NEC's site that there are no drivers listed for either Vista or Windows 7. Can someone please tell me where I can obtain these drivers. With any luck my monitor will be here some time tomorrow.

I'd also be interested in comments regarding text quality. Reviewers and forum users have mentioned the picture quality etc . but not much of anything has been said aobut its text. I'd be interested in hearing from thos of you who own the WUXI-BK. Thank you in advance.

Jaz709

I noticed on NEC's site that there are no drivers listed for either Vista or Windows 7. Can someone please tell me where I can obtain these drivers. With any luck my monitor will be here some time tomorrow.

I'd also be interested in comments regarding text quality. Reviewers and forum users have mentioned the picture quality etc . but not much of anything has been said aobut its text. I'd be interested in hearing from thos of you who own the WUXI-BK. Thank you in advance.

Windows Vista drivers are available on the NEC website (under the 'Downloads' tab)...no Windows 7 drivers yet...but I've been using the Vista drivers on my W7 machine and they work fine...Vista/W7 are so similar that they probably will have the exact same drivers anyhow

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?Product=a46240bd-a846-4de7-b644-bd7f0b7e6ece

text quality has been fine for me after I increased the DPI...even before calibration the text was fine

I'm just posting to share my delight that I've ordered one of these monitors (refurbished) and now I cannot WAIT for it to arrive. Sadly I lack a hardware calibrator and I don't really want to spend another $200-300 for the software/calibrator so I'm out of luck on that score, but hopefully it'll be acceptable out of the box.

I tried to find someone at work with one to borrow but it doesn't look like anyone has one. Any of you guys near Boston feel like swapping some beer for a borrow of your calibrator for an hour? :D

I'm just posting to share my delight that I've ordered one of these monitors (refurbished) and now I cannot WAIT for it to arrive. Sadly I lack a hardware calibrator and I don't really want to spend another $200-300 for the software/calibrator so I'm out of luck on that score, but hopefully it'll be acceptable out of the box.

I tried to find someone at work with one to borrow but it doesn't look like anyone has one. Any of you guys near Boston feel like swapping some beer for a borrow of your calibrator for an hour? :D

RTFM and find out about the advanced OSD mode (hold INPUT and PWR)
Leave at default: sharpness, contrast, black level
Set brightness as dim as comfortable for your working space but try to stay out of "lowbright" modes if you can.
Use autoluminance mode 1
Leave ColorComp/Uniformity at 3, and run "native" or "sRGB" color temp and I think you'll be happy.

Running with ColorComp at 3 is very close to being profiled and, IMO, the uniformity is priceless and definitely worth the small decrease in contrast ratio.

RTFM and find out about the advanced OSD mode (hold INPUT and PWR)
Leave at default: sharpness, contrast, black level
Set brightness as dim as comfortable for your working space but try to stay out of "lowbright" modes if you can.
Use autoluminance mode 1
Leave ColorComp/Uniformity at 3, and run "native" or "sRGB" color temp and I think you'll be happy.

Running with ColorComp at 3 is very close to being profiled and, IMO, the uniformity is priceless and definitely worth the small decrease in contrast ratio.

Well, I finally received my monitor. It seems to be in perfect condition, I cannot say enough nice words about this monitor. WOW.

I have one question, what is a "lowbright" mode. I set autolum to 1 and it set my brightness to 225cd/m2 which seems a bit bright to me but it is nighttime and I might not feel the same way come morning.

edexdeals gets a definite thumbs up from me!

Well, I finally received my monitor. It seems to be in perfect condition, I cannot say enough nice words about this monitor. WOW.

I have one question, what is a "lowbright" mode. I set autolum to 1 and it set my brightness to 225cd/m2 which seems a bit bright to me but it is nighttime and I might not feel the same way come morning.

edexdeals gets a definite thumbs up from me!

Low brightness mode makes the screen dimmer using panel blocking, i.e. it does not reduce the backlight and makes contrast worse. 225nit is eye-searing, I'm amazed you aren't on fire right now. Turn autolum off and turn brightness down to zero. I haven't yet seen an LCD monitor that should be run at anything other than 0 brightness.

Low brightness mode makes the screen dimmer using panel blocking, i.e. it does not reduce the backlight and makes contrast worse. 225nit is eye-searing, I'm amazed you aren't on fire right now. Turn autolum off and turn brightness down to zero. I haven't yet seen an LCD monitor that should be run at anything other than 0 brightness.

Funnily enough within about five minutes of posting I had crept it down to 150, then 75.. then 35 or so.. Within about fifteen minutes I was on 0 brightness!

Nomu's pretty much right on here....

If your priority is "achieve minimum brightness without panel blocking" then you should turn autolum off and set 0% (on older firmware! On newer firmware "lowbright" is not listed with a separate toggle and the brightness% number simply turns magenta when lowbright starts).

Autolum is nice because it has a sensor and feedback loop to keep the brightness perfectly uniform regardless of temperature, whether it's warming up etc.... You can get into a situation, however, where autolum starts kicking in lowbright without your express instructions to do so of course.

Enjoy your 2490 - they are a wonderful piece of kit.

albovin

How to check the monitor used time? Is there any engineer mode/menu?

Will you try Matrox display card for the monitor ?

thanks

Need some help..

I am interested in 3 Nec monitors.

Nec 2490wuxi
Nec 2490 wuxi2
Nec 2690 wuxi2

Anyone know which is the better monitor? I know the wuxi version has the polarizer but its about $300 more. Is it worth it?

How about the larger 2690? I know it's wide gamut, funny is that I mainly work in sRGB mode anyways but it might be good if I decide to process some pictures in aRGB

thoughts?

Friend of mine does heavy photography work and bought the 2690wuxi2 for wide-gamut work in photoshop/lightroom. He says the sRGB mode is garbage, made even more apparent by his CRT next to it. If you're using it in color-managed apps, it'll be fine though, but don't count of sRGB mode being all that good.

I'm using the 2490wuxi myself, and I love it. Worth it for polarizer... I don't know. It does make a difference, but I don't think it's as dramatic as everyone makes it out to be. I have my T60's IPS screen, as well as my old Samsung TN next to it and you can easily tell the difference, but I feel it's normal to see some glow at off-angles. With the 2490, it's simply red/green instead of white.
I don't have experience with the 2490wuxi2, but I heard it was crap.

With the 2490, it's simply red/green instead of white.

It's not that simple. If that were all, the A-TW polarizer would be a bad thing, as a white glow at the same brightness is better than a colored glow. The whole point is that the red/green glow is much, much dimmer, to the point where you can't really even call it a glow. It's more of a cast or tint than anything else, and even with it black still looks black rather than, well, glowing. Also, the glow is suppressed to a wider angle.

It's not that simple. If that were all, the A-TW polarizer would be a bad thing, as a white glow at the same brightness is better than a colored glow. The whole point is that the red/green glow is much, much dimmer, to the point where you can't really even call it a glow. It's more of a cast or tint than anything else, and even with it black still looks black rather than, well, glowing. Also, the glow is suppressed to a wider angle.

I have a 2490wuxi next to a 3090 ... the above is truth. The 2490 has a slight green/purple tint, but it is SO faint compared to the silver glow of the 30" panel. The 30" is good, but the 24" is great.

I also agree that the sRGB mode is garbage. Also, getting a custom gamma curve with the puck calibrator and then using it with custom advanced menu settings is awesome. The monitors have built-in selectable gamma curves (advanced menus) but they look like crap for some reason, very dark -- probably for photo work which I don't do generally (well none that matters for cash).

Sorry if this has been run into the ground but what are the differences between the wuxi1 and wuxi2 please?

Sorry if this has been run into the ground but what are the differences between the wuxi1 and wuxi2 please?

The only difference I know of is that the WUXi2 uses a different panel compared to the original. There isn't that much information on this site about it, except to say that it has greater sRGB coverage, lacks the original A-TW polarizer, and attracted a stigma after someone wrote up a poor experience with their unit.

The proper replacement is the PA241W which you can ask about here, and see a preview here.

The only difference I know of is that the WUXi2 uses a different panel compared to the original. There isn't that much information on this site about it, except to say that it has greater sRGB coverage, lacks the original A-TW polarizer, and attracted a stigma after someone wrote up a poor experience with their unit.

Marginally greater sRGB coverage. Really the only story is the loss of the A-TW polarizer.

Heck the polarizer may have blocked some of the spectrum and be the reason for slightly lesser coverage.

I wouldn't trade my 2490uxi1 for any other LCD monitor (ignoring 65" $10000 LED local dimming TVs). There isn't a desktop monitor I would rather be using than this one.

Marginally greater sRGB coverage. Really the only story is the loss of the A-TW polarizer.

The only point of discussion on this forum has been the loss of the A-TW pol.

I should start a rumour that p-IPS stands for polarizer-IPS :D. Watch forum users scramble, and Wikipedia and fphd take and run it without corroboration.

Right after I start the rumour that states that the better colour discrimination of IPS panels has been proven in a study to increase player kill:death ratio in Modern Warfare 2.

The proper replacement is the PA241W which you can ask about here, and see a preview here.

Thanks. I love my wuxi1 as well but my sister has been getting jealous. ;)

So this, and not the wuxi2, is the next big thing/direct successor to the wuxis?

Yes it is successor to the 90 series/wuxi.

2490wuxi: Pro series/IPS/sRGB color space/A-TW Polarizer/8bit panel/2D LUT
2490wux2i: Pro series/IPS/sRGB color space/ NO A-TW Polarizer/8bit panel/2D LUT
PA241W: Pro series/IPS/Adobe color space/ NO A-TW Polarizer/10bit panel/3D LUT + DisplayPort (10 bit input possible)

For a graphics professional working in wider gamut, the PA241W is definitely superior, and possibly the 3D LUT offers potential to have Decent sRGB conversion for the rest of us.

No matter what you are looking for the wuxi2 seems like one to avoid, it was simply a feature going away. For graphics professionals, the PA241W definitely seems to step up in many ways.

Disclaimer. This is off the top of my head, so I might have mistakes...

Last edited:
Yes it is successor to the 90 series/wuxi.

2490wuxi: Pro series/IPS/sRGB color space/A-TW Polarizer/8bit panel/2D LUT
2490wux2i: Pro series/IPS/sRGB color space/ NO A-TW Polarizer/8bit panel/2D LUT
PA241W: Pro series/IPS/Adobe color space/ NO A-TW Polarizer/10bit panel/3D LUT + DisplayPort (10 bit input possible)

For a graphics professional working in wider gamut, the PA241W is definitely superior, and possibly the 3D LUT offers potential to have Decent sRGB conversion for the rest of us.

No matter what you are looking for the wuxi2 seems like one to avoid, it was simply a feature going away. For graphics professionals, the PA241W definitely seems to step up in many ways.

Disclaimer. This is off the top of my head, so I might have mistakes...

I appreciate the breakdown. :)

How important is:
NO A-TW Polarizer
?

I appreciate the breakdown. :)

How important is: ?

I would rather have it, than not. :D

It gets rid of the IPS white glow(off angle or in corners). It may not be critical on a 24" screen.

yeah polarizer is a major deal...the cons are so minor compared to all the pros.

When I am sitting looking at my 2490 I swear I am still looking at my Trinitron now wider. I was a long CRT guy and was in the process of looking for a FW900...even with a 3' deep x 8' desk I couldn't justify that real estate or heat source with this kind of LCD on the market.

Plus you can rotate it...I got a smoking deal on this one ($500 from NEC as a refurb).

Back