NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

Can anyone upload the 74.6hz DVI driver if they made one please?

I did it via Display Port which was cool, but I ended up swapping GPU's and just realized that they didn't have DP and that I missed the smoothness of it...

Btw, good buy jkkhop!

Has anyone bought their NEC from here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/645064-REG/NEC_EA231WMI_BK_MultiSync_23_Widescreen_LCD.html ?
Or anything from B&H in general?
The NEC is only $320 there, cheapest I've seen.

Yes, but I don't know how much a pain they will be on returns and exchanges. I have ordered from them, but only things like stands, etc. I bought both my NECs from Buy.com. Even though they are $20 more, they have a fantastic no questions asked monitor return policy. I was able to return a $550 monitor (LP2475w) with no restocking fee a few months ago. I forget if I paid return ship or not.

It also depends on where you live. West Coast, go with Buy.com. East Coast, try B&H. Buy.com also ships Fedex which is very gentle compared to UPS. You generally want to minimize transit time on monitors.

When you rma with buy.com, do they ship you a replacement right away, or do they wait for you to return your defective item? I believe amazon ships the replacement to you right away.

When you rma with buy.com, do they ship you a replacement right away, or do they wait for you to return your defective item? I believe amazon ships the replacement to you right away.

I'm not sure. I have never exchanged a product on buy.com, only returned for refund.

I've read that the stand on the NEC is MUCH better made, that It just feels heavier and sturdier. Is this true?

I've read that the stand on the NEC is MUCH better made, that It just feels heavier and sturdier. Is this true?

Yes, this is true. If you are afraid of the monitor tipping for any reason, NEC is safer. The Dell stand take up less depth, but is wider (circle vs rectangle). I think the panel part of the NEC is heavier than the Dell's too, which could account for the difference. The NEC also has a very fancy cable guide in the stand which the Dell lacks. For example, right now, I have connected to the NEC: speaker, usb, vga, dvi, and power cables, the monitor is raised almost 100%, and yet I dont see ONE SINGLE hanging cable!

Can anyone upload the 74.6hz DVI driver if they made one please?

I did it via Display Port which was cool, but I ended up swapping GPU's and just realized that they didn't have DP and that I missed the smoothness of it...

Btw, good buy jkkhop!
I found the .inf file here a while back, give me a minute to get it..

edit: I think this is the one I used:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fgz22r4nywn

Anyway, you should be able to create custom refresh rates with custom timings from the nvidia/ati drivers, and force them.

Last edited:
I found the .inf file here a while back, give me a minute to get it..

edit: I think this is the one I used:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fgz22r4nywn

Anyway, you should be able to create custom refresh rates with custom timings from the nvidia/ati drivers, and force them.

Thanks for that, but that's the Display Port one, and when I try to force via the Nvidia CPL it just gives me an error message saying my monitor doesn't support that refresh rate. :(

I tried using the timings on the earlier pages too with no success.

If you really want to try and force timings, there is only one tool that will do the job, and that is PowerStrip: http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm. I take no responsibility if you fry your monitor though. :)

You can also try this: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/7947-force-dvi-hdmi-resolutions-refresh-rates.html

Please let me know if you get 75Hz working on DVI!!!

Yeah, I couldn't get powerstrip to work. And I used that guide from sevenforums to no avail either, the one that worked was editing the .inf using one software (I forgot the name) but I couldn't get the timing to work, using anything from 70-74hz resulted in the screen going nuts (and that's using the DVI timings and help from toasty as well).

I was hoping to find someone that's experienced at editing .inf's for everyone to try. I mean once you guys try it you'll say to yourself how you lived without it.

I got 75Hz to work in Powerstrip over DVI!

Here is how you do it: Right Click PS icon, go to Display Profiles - Configure, the click Advanced Timings. Click the refresh rate box, and change 60Hz to 75Hz. Then, (and this is VERY IMPORTANT!) click the DOWN ARROW next to 75Hz. The refresh wil change to 74.9 and it will work! If you try to force 75Hz, it will NOT work. I have not tried higher. You can then save the profile for application at startup. The monitor now reports H 84.2 and V 74.8Hz. Of course, the H is out of range, hope that doesn't kill the monitor. :)

I will experiment with higher V and lower H later.

And YES, Fraps reports 75Hz V-Sync lock in my games! I have not seen true above 60 FPS in 5 YEARS!

Last edited:
I got 75Hz to work in Powerstrip over DVI!

Here is how you do it: Right Click PS icon, go to Display Profiles - Configure, the click Advanced Timings. Click the refresh rate box, and change 60Hz to 75Hz. Then, (and this is VERY IMPORTANT!) click the DOWN ARROW next to 75Hz. The refresh wil change to 74.9 and it will work! If you try to force 75Hz, it will NOT work. I have not tried higher. You can then save the profile for application at startup. The monitor now reports H 84.2 and V 74.8Hz. Of course, the H is out of range, hope that doesn't kill the monitor. :)

I will experiment with higher V and lower H later.

And YES, Fraps reports 75Hz V-Sync lock in my games! I have not seen true above 60 FPS in 5 YEARS!

How'd you get the Advanced Timing option unlocked? It was grayed out for me. :confused:

Is your version registered? Mine is. That could be the issue. Also my version # is 3.8.

Ehhh, I'll pass I guess, don't feel like coughing up the cash for it.

Great that you got it working though, I wish that software had a way to export its settings into an .inf or something.

I managed to get 75.8Hz V and 85.3Hz H working now. I won't press my luck any further.

When I have more time, I'll expirement with reworking the INF into something that works for DVI. Why do you say the posted INF only works for DisplayPort? Have you tried it? I saw nothing specific about Display Port in it. I didn't even try it because I took your word that it didn't work. :D

Why don't you try this INF file? It was made using the same program used to create the INF file you mentioned previously, except it is a newer version of the program, and was created while attached to DVI running at 75Hz. Let me know if you have any success. I have no place to post the file for download, so just cut and paste:

; INF file generated by Monitor Asset Manager, 8/16/2010
; Copyright (c) EnTech Taiwan, 1995-2010.
; Internet: http://www.entechtaiwan.com

[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=Monitor
ClassGUID={4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider=%MFG%
DriverVer=8/16/2010, 1.0.0.0
;CatalogFile=YourSignedCatalogFile.cat

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=23

[SourceDisksNames]
1=%DISC%

[SourceDisksFiles]
;YourColorProfileFile.icm

[Manufacturer]
%VENDOR%=EDID_OVERRIDE,NTx86,NTamd64

[EDID_OVERRIDE.NTx86]
%PRODUCTID%=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install, MONITOR\NEC6779

[EDID_OVERRIDE.NTamd64]
%PRODUCTID%=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTamd64, MONITOR\NEC6779

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTx86]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.AddReg, MODE1, DPMS
CopyFiles=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.CopyFiles

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTamd64]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.AddReg, MODE1, DPMS
CopyFiles=OVERRIDDEN-EDID.CopyFiles

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTx86.HW]
AddReg=OVERRIDDEN-EDID_AddReg

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.Install.NTamd64.HW]
AddReg=OVERRIDDEN-EDID_AddReg

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID_AddReg]
;Base EDID
HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"0",0x01,0x00,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0x00,0x38,0xA3,0x79,0x67,0x01,0x01,0x01,0x01,0x12,0x14,0x01,0x03,0x80,0x33,0x1D,0x78,0xEA,0xF8,0x05,0xA4,0x55,0x4D,0x9D,0x25,0x12,0x50,0x54,0xBF,0xEF,0x80,0x81,0x00,0x81,0x40,0x81,0x80,0x81,0xC0,0x95,0x00,0x90,0x40,0xB3,0x00,0xA9,0xC0,0x02,0x3A,0x80,0x18,0x71,0x38,0x2D,0x40,0x58,0x2C,0x45,0x00,0xFE,0x1F,0x11,0x00,0x00,0x1E,0x00,0x00,0x00,0xFD,0x00,0x38,0x4C,0x1F,0x53,0x11,0x00,0x0A,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x00,0x00,0x00,0xFC,0x00,0x45,0x41,0x32,0x33,0x31,0x57,0x4D,0x69,0x0A,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x20,0x00,0x00,0x00,0xFF,0x00,0x30,0x35,0x31,0x30,0x35,0x30,0x32,0x36,0x4E,0x41,0x0A,0x20,0x20,0x01,0x15

;Extension bloc #1, e.g., CEA-EXT, DID-EXT, etc.
HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE,"1",0x01,0x02,0x01,0x04,0x00,0x01,0x1D,0x00,0x72,0x51,0xD0,0x1E,0x20,0x6E,0x28,0x55,0x00,0xFE,0x1F,0x11,0x00,0x00,0x1E,0x8C,0x0A,0xD0,0x8A,0x20,0xE0,0x2D,0x10,0x10,0x3E,0x96,0x00,0xFE,0x1F,0x11,0x00,0x00,0x18,0x8C,0x0A,0xD0,0x90,0x20,0x40,0x31,0x20,0x0C,0x40,0x55,0x00,0xFE,0x1F,0x11,0x00,0x00,0x18,0x01,0x1D,0x00,0xBC,0x52,0xD0,0x1E,0x20,0xB8,0x28,0x55,0x40,0xFE,0x1F,0x11,0x00,0x00,0x1E,0x02,0x3A,0x80,0xD0,0x72,0x38,0x2D,0x40,0x10,0x2C,0x45,0x80,0xFE,0x1F,0x11,0x00,0x00,0x1E,0x01,0x1D,0x80,0x18,0x71,0x1C,0x16,0x20,0x58,0x2C,0x25,0x00,0xFE,0x1F,0x11,0x00,0x00,0x9E,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x15
[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,EDID_OVERRIDE
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS
HKR,,ICMProfile

[DPMS]
HKR,,DPMS,,1

[MODE1]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1920,1080"

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\1920,1080",Mode1,,"31.0-83.0,56.0-76.0,+,+"

[OVERRIDDEN-EDID.CopyFiles]
;YourColorProfileFile.icm

[Strings]
MFG="EnTech Taiwan"
DISC="Monitor EDID Override Installation Disk"
PRODUCTID="NEC EA231WMi (EDID Override)"
VENDOR="NEC"

Hmm... actually, while I was able to install the above INF just fine, replacing my NEC one, Windows still didn't give me an option to go over 60Hz. Clearly something needs added somewhere. Where is an INF author when you need them?

I managed to get 75.8Hz V and 85.3Hz H working now. I won't press my luck any further.

When I have more time, I'll expirement with reworking the INF into something that works for DVI. Why do you say the posted INF only works for DisplayPort? Have you tried it? I saw nothing specific about Display Port in it. I didn't even try it because I took your word that it didn't work. :D

Because I read somewhere that it needed different timings for DVI and DP. Could be wrong though, maybe read it from toasty, forget and too lazy to search (lol).

Also, to get the 75hz to display sometimes all you need to do is a restart and select the 75hz.

Ok, I did not restart after trying the INF above, maybe that was my problem. I also generated a new INF with PowerStrip. Feel free to try both and let me know if one worked for you.

; Custom monitor information file - generated by PowerStrip 3.0, 8/16/2010
; Copyright (c) 1995-2005, EnTech Taiwan.
; Web: http://www.entechtaiwan.com

[Version]
Signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Monitor
ClassGUID={4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Provider=%MFG%

[Manufacturer]
%MFG%=MonMfg,NTamd64

[MonMfg.NTamd64]
%MODEL%=Mon.Install

[Mon.Install]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=Mon.AddReg,RES,DPMS

[Mon.AddReg]
HKR,%MODE%,Mode1,,%RANGE%

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS

[RES]
HKR,,MaxResolution,,%MAXRES%

[DPMS]
HKR,,DPMS,,1

[Strings]
MFG="NEC"
MODEL="NEC MultiSync EA231WMi(Digital)"
MAXRES="1920,1080"
MODE="MODES\1920,1080"
RANGE="15.0-83.0,24.0-76.0,+,+"

Okay I'll try them out later and see what happens, I'll update you.

Btw, I appreciate your help a lot.

Just got this display 4 days ago and it is AMAZING. I love the quality of this panel even though I was a little scared to order an E-IPS display.

I've owned the 24" LED Cinema Display with the H-IPS panel but sold it off 4 months ago (only lost $70) on it since I had it on the first day it was on sale.

I was pretty annoyed by the glossiness of the 24" LED Cinema Display but this NEC is in Matte and its very easy on my eyes.

No dead/stuck pixels, near perfect uniform backlighting, no weird bleeding issues on any of the corners and calibrated looks very clean, vivid and easy on the eyes! I love the no shifting of the colors as I have it mounted on an Ergotron MX ARM and its perfect!

I just picked up a 17" i7 2.66GHz Macbook Pro and it works great in dual monitor mode with this NEC! Well back to designing a website for my small business. :p

Last edited:
Is forcing these sorts of refresh rates when the monitor does not support them safe? I'd want 72hz personally since that is 24x3 and would playback most content I watch smoothly.

CAUTION: When using the enhanced refresh rates, I encounter temporary display corruption when launching some games. If I knock things back to 60, everything is fine. This could be a bug with Powerstrip vs what Windows reports, or something else. I would just proceed with caution until I've determined the cause (which may take a while!) :(

As for switching from a 24" LED Apple Cinema Display..... I can't believe it! That display is my DREAM MONITOR. I would have traded you this NEC for that one in a heartbeat. Then again, I love glossy displays. Also, the Apple can't height adjust, and lacks DVI and VGA which is really unfortunate.

CAUTION: When using the enhanced refresh rates, I encounter temporary display corruption when launching some games. If I knock things back to 60, everything is fine. This could be a bug with Powerstrip vs what Windows reports, or something else. I would just proceed with caution until I've determined the cause (which may take a while!) :(

As for switching from a 24" LED Apple Cinema Display..... I can't believe it! That display is my DREAM MONITOR. I would have traded you this NEC for that one in a heartbeat. Then again, I love glossy displays. Also, the Apple can't height adjust, and lacks DVI and VGA which is really unfortunate.

Believe me I LOVED the 24" LED Cinema Display but I regretted selling it as I had one without any stuck pixels or backlight bleeding issues.

I went through 4 x 24" LED Cinema Display before buying this NEC but all of them had at least 2 stuck pixels and for some ODD reason, one of the 24" ACD's panel looked washed out and was very horrible no matter how much I calibrated it. It felt like it wasnt an H-IPS panel and was replaced by something else, cant really put my finger on it.

After having exchanged 3 times (total of 4 x 24" cinema displays), I regretted selling my perfect 24" 4 months ago but what can I do?

Anyways this NEC IMO is just as good as the 24" (minus the glossiness which is good IMO) and the lack of LED backlighting which was much brighter on the 24" ACD.

Also especially for the price $329 (Amazon) this NEC is an awesome deal. But something about Matte displays I love more than the glossy ones. It seems more accurate in color to me and easier on the eyes (as well as CCFL lamps vs. led backlit).

Although my 17" i7 macbook pro's (hi resolution antiglare) display is superb! Surprisingly it looks just as good as an IPS display with very minimal color shift for a TN panel and the colors from the led backlighting makes the black levels look like printed ink or rather glowing ink! Its the best notebook display I've ever had! No dead/stuck pixels either and no backlight bleeding and looks crystal clear. At times I like using the 17" macbook pro's display against any of my desktop monitors, even the NEC at times lol.

Well, I give up. None of the INFs seems to work for 75Hz DVI, and while Powerstrip works, it has weird issues with games. For example, start a game in a window, and go to full screen, and the display goes NUTS!

Better stick with 60Hz and try this again when I get a Display Port card.

Well, I give up. None of the INFs seems to work for 75Hz DVI, and while Powerstrip works, it has weird issues with games. For example, start a game in a window, and go to full screen, and the display goes NUTS!

Better stick with 60Hz and try this again when I get a Display Port card.

I feel like popping in my 5870 just to experience it again. :(

Good luck spinEcho! I actually ordered a second one for the wife. I'll let you guys know if it is as perfect as my first. Went with Buy.com again only because my first from there was perfect.

Is anyone using very low brightness? I can only tolerate a brightness of 22 with contrast at 50, dv mode set to standard with eco mode off

Is anyone using very low brightness? I can only tolerate a brightness of 22 with contrast at 50, dv mode set to standard with eco mode off

How much you can tolerate varies by individual. I set my NECs to 45 brightness and turn off eco mode and the auto brightness correction. Eco mode just makes things look muddy and dim imo.

After much internal debate and research, I pulled the trigger on this NEC display. It's the best choice for me right now. If I had the money, I would spring for the 27" NEC PA series. However, I just need basics right now, as there are other upgrades to attend to. The NEC super display will have to wait =)

Just got it! Looks excellent, but I don't what tests to do. Any ideas?
Also, the brightness on the screen keeps on changing. Like it slowly dims, and slowly brightens sometimes. I have a XFX HD 5850 installed. No OC anywhere.

Last edited:
Just got it! Looks excellent, but I don't what tests to do. Any ideas?
Also, the brightness on the screen keeps on changing. Like it slowly dims, and slowly brightens sometimes. I have a XFX HD 5850 installed. No OC anywhere.

You have to turn OFF Eco Mode, AND Auto Brightness AND Dynamic Contrast in the menu system to get it to stop auto dimming!!

Also, download the NEC NaviSet software from NEC for display testing and software feature control! http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Monitors/naviset/forms/download/

As for extra testing, these are the best:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
http://tft.vanity.dk/

You're welcome!!! ;)

You have to turn OFF Eco Mode, AND Auto Brightness AND Dynamic Contrast in the menu system to get it to stop auto dimming!!

Also, download the NEC NaviSet software from NEC for display testing and software feature control! http://www.necdisplay.com/SupportCenter/Monitors/naviset/forms/download/

As for extra testing, these are the best:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
http://tft.vanity.dk/

You're welcome!!! ;)

Thank you! Worked perfectly, my screen seems to be fine save some minor bleeding.

Back