NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

The screen is running 1920x1080. I have the screen also connected to my P4 desktop with a 6800gt agp card over dvi. When i compare the two screens the analog one is just blurry. Especially the text. Maybe its the graphics card in the notebook.

This isn't surprising. VGA has been terrible for me too across multiple monitors, graphics cards, and cables. DVI/HDMI/DP on the other hand have been flawless. I'm sure VGA can be good but if you can avoid it I would since most people experience some loss of quality over VGA.

Would you guys recommend this as a good "entry level" IPS panel for someone who is used to a 19'' CRT? I'm pretty much a newb to the world of LCDs, but I need to make the jump. I've been doing a lot of research and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the EA231WMi, HP LP2474W, Dell U2410, and the HP ZR24W. I'm leaning towards the EA231WMi because of the price and the good reviews I've read about it. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you!

I have some questions in the same topic:
Is this display able to work at 1920x1080@72Hz (with forced settings, like PowerStrip)? Doesn't it drop the extra 12 frames? Does it shows a real, smooth (slow horizontal) motion during Blu-Ray playback in this mode?
Can I do this with both DP and DVI connections? If DP is not az "over-clock" option then: Does it receive 10 bit/color signal over DVI as well? Or would it work at 1920x1080@72Hz@30bpc mode over DP cable?

My VGA has a native DP output but I will be able to test this display (on the shop) with my laptop which has HDMI output only. (But I can use a HDMI-DVI adapter... ; I ask because I will go to the shop for testing, if there is a chance to make it...)

Would you guys recommend this as a good "entry level" IPS panel for someone who is used to a 19'' CRT?
Yes. I swapped from a 17" CRT.

I'm pretty much a newb to the world of LCDs, but I need to make the jump. I've been doing a lot of research and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the EA231WMi, HP LP2474W, Dell U2410, and the HP ZR24W. I'm leaning towards the EA231WMi because of the price and the good reviews I've read about it. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you!
Also think about Dell U2311H and ViewSonic VP2365wb. Read TFTCentral reviews. These and this NEC are all based on the same panel, so they perform quite similarly, except that Dell has overdrive (suits better for gaming) and ViewSonic is the cheapest (mostly due a more basic base/ergo features).

How can I get 75hz at 1920x1080? I have HD4870, is this possible?

When i enable gpu scaling at ccc, games with lower resolution is still streched to full image. How i can get black bars?

Nope, can you post it?

Do a search. That's how I found it.

backlight bleeding is getting worse on mine over time.

anyone else noticed this ?

I haven't noticed this at all. I'm getting in two more EA231WMi monitors this week, so I'll see if that pops up.

Way to be a dick... you took the time to post why not help the guy?

Cause I'm a big mean internet bully!

I'm sure he's a big boy and can do a search on his own to find out what he needs to achieve his goal. If you'd like to be such a "white knight," however, you can do the search for him.

By your logic I'm better off not even bothering to tell him there is a driver here. :rolleyes:

Got my other two EA231WMi's today. Yay Eyefinity!

Eyefinity1.jpg

I noticed my center (and original) monitor seems to be a bit off from the two new ones color-wise, even though I set the same .icc profile for all of them (thanks Mastercheif!) Any ideas?

Got my other two EA231WMi's today. Yay Eyefinity!

Eyefinity1.jpg

I noticed my center (and original) monitor seems to be a bit off from the two new ones color-wise, even though I set the same .icc profile for all of them (thanks Mastercheif!) Any ideas?

Where'd you pick these up? I need a new monitor for photo editing.

Sorry about my knowledge, but how I install this 75hz driver? I have vista.

Here are the win7 instructions, which should be pretty much the same:

Device manager>Monitors>Select the monitor>right click>properties>

Driver tab>update driver>browse computer for driver>Let me pick from list of drivers on computer>

Have disk button>browse>find the driver and select it.

Where'd you pick these up? I need a new monitor for photo editing.

I got mine from Dell Small Business. Used my 20% off coupon + 10% Bing Cashback. Came out to like $275 per monitor.

AFAI am aware the colour bias which appears on screen is causally related to uneven backlighting.

So for example pink tint on the right side of your screen, this is actually a result of the backlight being dimmer on one side of the screen compared to the other. When you measure the screen with a calibration device you should see results along the lines of: lower luminance on the right side of the screen with a correspondingly lower Kelvin figure for color temperature and hence warmer (or redder -> pinker) looking colour.

The reverse applies when you have a green/yellow tint on the other side of the screen -> brighter backlight -> higher luminance->higher colour temperature-> bluer/greener colour tint

Amateur explanation I know, but then I AM an amateur (and learning as i go). However you can read up more about this on eizo forum's,luminous landscape forum, prad and tftcentral (and I think also dpreview forum).

Some quite knowledgeable people and their explanation for colour bias on screen is similar to my own admittedly fumbling explanation.

Hate to reply to an old post, but this is absolutely true information. I am a photographer myself and knew about the uniformity issues going into buying this. The RESULT of the uniformity issues on the left and right sides is a slight red/pink tint, not the other way around, there are no tinting issues.

Personally, what I do to combat this is after I calibrate (Spyder 2 Pro) I bring up a bright white page like Google and the RGB controls, then I changed the green from 76% (as calibrated) to just 76.6%. This has the result of making the panel appear more uniform looking because the red/pink tint on the sides diminishes. Now it's only a luminance difference and the red/pink is less obvious.

Last edited:
Thanks. Looks like it's 339.00 in the cart. Might order it soon. My monitor is messed up... so I need to fix this. Can't be giving my clients uncalibrated photos. :D

Can you do 75hz on all 3 nec ea231wmis in Eyefinity mode? has anyone tested this?

I just bought this monitor and decided to tell about my impressions and observations.

I'm a cranky CRT fan and LCD hater and this is the first LCD monitor I have ever bought for my own desktop computer. I come from a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 959NF bought in 2002. It served me well but it's become pretty dark and I have also got accustomed to the size and clarity of the 24" Eizo at work.

The Nec is bright enough and the lack of blurriness inherent to a VGA signal is pleasant. The biggest disappointment is the black level. I did not expect perfection since it's still just an LCD but still, meh. I know a VA panel like the Eizo would have had a better contrast but low input lag is also equally important to me as picture quality (even one frame is too much lag if I can avoid it, imo) There are no defective pixels but the backlight isn't totally uniform. There are two brighter spots on the top. Looks like some excess pressure due to the way the panel is attached.

One deciding factor to get the Nec is the ability to run at 75Hz on DVI and 83Hz on DP. I currently have a Geforce GT240 which lacks DP so I'm sticking with DVI for the moment. On Windows 7, it took a while to get the custom display mode working. On Linux, I expect it to work by just feeding X a custom modeline and telling it to ignore EDID but I haven't tried that yet. Installing the EDID override driver on Windows posted here made no difference for some reason. The 75Hz mode just didn't appear in the display configuration. PowerStrip had all the relevant stuff grayed out for reasons I did not care finding out. Luckily I got it working via Nvidia's control panel. While that too was quite painful to use, I manually entered the values in ToastyX's post and got it working. I got some intermittent flickering some others had also mentioned.

I figured out it was caused by the GPU not keeping up with the required bandwidth in its lowest power saving mode. I fired up GTA4 and saw no flickering since the GPU was at full throttle. The picture was stable and without problems (except that the GT240 is way too slow to run GTA4 at 1920x1080 at any enjoyable frame rate).

If you have flickering issues, try to find out if it's because of GPU clocks being too low. :)

Received the EA23Wmi today and it is phenomenal!

No dead or stuck pixels. No backlight bleed. Minor IPS white glow. Perflect color uniformity, even on all white. No noticeable brightnes unifortmity issues.

Also, the matte sparkle/grain is so far the LEAST obtrusive I have seen on any IPS screen that isn't the ACD. It is WAY better than my old LP2475W which I had to return due to this issue alone. (I'm coming from a glossy LCD, have pity.)

Color accuracy is amazing compared to my old glossy TN (FHD2400) which had GARISH colors, even after calibration, especially on things like the Shell, McDonald's and BP logos. It does seem to be very blue shifted compared to the TN, but color matching of real life objects/photos seems spot on, so I think I'm just used to the ultra hot neon color of my old panel.

I'd love a glossy version of this sucker, but I think I can live with the matte (for once!)

Latency is excellent, one thing I'm worried about it the response time. I'm thinking of picking up a U2311h as well to see if I notice a difference in games. Going to compare it to my TN panel tonight. So nice not dealing with color shift and crushed blacks though.

Willing to answer any questions or post comparison shots.

Hey guys,
I am wondering, where are you buying your monitor from? Most of the sites are really overpriced, this should be $300 max. Also has anyone tried running any FPS games like COD6.
U2311H goes for $270 on ebay free shipping. Don't know if ebay can be trusted though.
Thank you!

Dells own site (assuming you are in North America) regularly puts the u2311h on sale and in the US with things like bing cashback, is how people are getting it for sub $300, sometimes sub $250. Really if you want to save some money, unless you're in a hurry, never buy anything off there site for regular price, since chances are sooner rather then later it goes on sale.

The NEC as far as I know has mostly been more pricey then these sale prices.

Spin, I just bought a U2311h new from eBay in addition to the NEC that I'm really liking. I will let you know how the eBay transacation ended up, and will try to post comparisons between the two. I ended up saving $75 with the eBay route. Dell would have been a whopping $350 after tax. I paid $340 for the NEC from Buy.com. Buy.com is AWESOME for monitor tryouts. They will let you return anything, no questions asked, full money back.

Isn't 340 a little too much for the NEC? I think it uses the same panel as the U2311H. Does buy.com refund the shipping the item back to them?
Thanks

Isn't 340 a little too much for the NEC? I think it uses the same panel as the U2311H. Does buy.com refund the shipping the item back to them?
Thanks

No, the NEC is more expensive in general. People say it uses better electronics and better quality control than Dell, even though panel is the same. Given that I got a perfect panel on the first try, I have to agree! $340 is the cheapest you'll find the NEC for. I don't recall if Buy.com will pay for return shipping. Does Dell?

Hi,
can someone re-post the 83hz displayport driver? The other link for it in the thread is dead :(.
Much appreciated,
Thanks

I also recommend the NEC for their customer service and 3 year warranty. Has anyone here ever called Dell to try to return/exchange something? You get transferred at least 3 times and to someone named "Joey" who has the thickest Indian accent you've ever heard. I recently got one of my NECs exchanged for the yellow tint issue on half the screen. I talked to one person in California who spoke great english, sent ONE picture and my replacement was on its way.

I picked up one of these earlier in the year (around February I think). About a month ago, it suddenly shorted out and stopped working - like, audible arcing sound shorted out.

Needless to say, I contacted NEC and shipped the monitor back to them. About a week and a half later, I had a brand new one sitting on my door step. Both panels have been superb in terms of good color / contrast, minimal tinting / uniformity issues, and no dead pixels. This is by far the best monitor I've ever owned.

I just wish I could get the whites to look as perfect as my 2408WFP. Oh well, that's just IPS vs. VA, I guess.

Back