NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

I'm pretty sure the black level of the G2400wd is superior to the NEC. For 16:9, anything less than 26inches kinda sucks as well. The NEC is a difficult monitor to choose for this reason :/

I ordered the Samsung P2770 27inch TN panel instead. I'm currently on the 24inch 245bw.

Here are the steps to load the driver (if you're using Win7. Should be very similar for Vista):

1. Right click monitor in Device Manager and select Update Driver Software...
2. Click Browse my computer for driver software
3. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
4. Click Have Disk... in the lower right corner
5. Browse to the folder where the .inf file is and select it.
6. You may receive a warning that the driver isn't signed, this is expected since it's not WHQL certified, etc. I promise it won't mess up your monitor or your computer :p

Let me know if you still have trouble :)

Hi erictooth!

Thanks for that, exactly how I tried it, (Win 7 premium 64bit) i'm wondering if it's somehow not recognizing the file, the icon seems to be a setup icon, (small cog), but when I go to 5. it's not seeing it.
Many Thanks for your help by the way, i appreciate it. :)

Hi erictooth!

Thanks for that, exactly how I tried it, (Win 7 premium 64bit) i'm wondering if it's somehow not recognizing the file, the icon seems to be a setup icon, (small cog), but when I go to 5. it's not seeing it.

Rather than browsing to the folder and having the wizard search for it, you need to navigate to the screen with the "Have disk" button that will allow you to browse to the specific file.

Can't decide between 3 of these, 3 Dell U2410s, or 2 Dell U2711s....

Want to try Eyefinity not sure I'd use it all that much?

Are these displays good "all around" (some gaming, surfing, watching HD TV via ATI cablecard tuner), etc...)ones that I could use for a couple years or so?

I'm currently using 2 Viewsonic VX2260WMs 22" 1920x1080) and they seem fine to me but I want to try IPS panels since I've never owned or seen any in person even.

Hi erictooth!

Rather than browsing to the folder and having the wizard search for it, you need to navigate to the screen with the "Have disk" button that will allow you to browse to the specific file.

It should be allowing you to select the file, if not make sure you're doing step 4/what Antimatter said.

Edit: Also, if for some reason you would prefer to run 75hz (a much more common frequency), here's the 75hz displayport driver.

Not to complain about this monitor any more ;) , but is a 500K green-pink shift about normal? My colorimeter is reporting 6657K <- 6477K -> 6171K (yes, the right side turns pink really fast).

Just wanna make sure I don't have a bad sample :(

Last edited:
Not to complain about this monitor any more ;) , but is a 500K green-pink shift about normal? My colorimeter is reporting 6657K <- 6477K -> 6171K (yes, the right side turns pink really fast).

Just wanna make sure I don't have a bad sample :(

That's normal on pretty much every LCD

Do you guys think the new PA 23" will be close to this in price range or will it be going for $500+? The 24" is going for a grand that that was a lot more than I hope it was going to go for.

I'm pretty sure the black level of the G2400wd is superior to the NEC.

After reading some reviews on TFT Central I'm beginning to think the difference of the black level and contrast between these two is rather small. Quite disappointing really, but the NEC only seems to have slightly higher contrast and deeper blacks than modern TN panels (I checked the Samsung 2233RZ and LG L227WT reviews and compared the results to the NEC's). The main advantage of the NEC seems to be that its contrast and colors remain more or less the same at a slight angle.

NEC EA231WMi contrast at default settings: 856 (calibrated: 767)
NEC EA231WMi black level at default settings: 0.25 (calibrated: 0.15)

Samsung 2233RZ contrast at default settings: 925 (calibrated: 750)
Samsung 2233RZ black level at default settings: 0.24 (calibrated: 0.16)

LG L227WT contrast at default settings: 777 (calibrated: 576)
LG L227WT black level at default settings: 0.43 (calibrated: 0.21)

I haven't found any concrete numbers on my own monitor (G2400WD) but it seems like IPS panels are not as good as I thought when it comes to contrast and the level of blacks. Any thoughts, comments?

So is this a good all around monitor and worth replacing my dual Viewsonic VX2260WMs?

Best one out at the moment in size and resolution?

After reading some reviews on TFT Central I'm beginning to think the difference of the black level and contrast between these two is rather small. Quite disappointing really, but the NEC only seems to have slightly higher contrast and deeper blacks than modern TN panels (I checked the Samsung 2233RZ and LG L227WT reviews and compared the results to the NEC's). The main advantage of the NEC seems to be that its contrast and colors remain more or less the same at a slight angle.

NEC EA231WMi contrast at default settings: 856 (calibrated: 767)
NEC EA231WMi black level at default settings: 0.25 (calibrated: 0.15)

Samsung 2233RZ contrast at default settings: 925 (calibrated: 750)
Samsung 2233RZ black level at default settings: 0.24 (calibrated: 0.16)

LG L227WT contrast at default settings: 777 (calibrated: 576)
LG L227WT black level at default settings: 0.43 (calibrated: 0.21)

I haven't found any concrete numbers on my own monitor (G2400WD) but it seems like IPS panels are not as good as I thought when it comes to contrast and the level of blacks. Any thoughts, comments?

I don't think a TN will be able to produce its Contrast Ratio across its field, so you might have to rethink this comparison.

i *think* the converter may be your only option, wasnt able to find anything via a quick google search

Hey! I've been lurking this thread for a while and finally decided to bite the bullet. Should be here tomorrow, got it for 320 shipped on buy.com. Just a quick question. I can rent a Spyder3Elite for a week for ~$40 shipping included. Would it be worth it for this monitor? This is my first "nice" monitor, so I really don't know what I'm doing. Does it need to be re calibrated often enough to justify the purchase of a calibrator?

Hey! I've been lurking this thread for a while and finally decided to bite the bullet. Should be here tomorrow, got it for 320 shipped on buy.com. Just a quick question. I can rent a Spyder3Elite for a week for ~$40 shipping included. Would it be worth it for this monitor? This is my first "nice" monitor, so I really don't know what I'm doing. Does it need to be re calibrated often enough to justify the purchase of a calibrator?

Hard to answer that for you. Do you think you will care that much about the color accuracy? Did you care enough to properly calibrate it on your current monitor?

Hard to answer that for you. Do you think you will care that much about the color accuracy? Did you care enough to properly calibrate it on your current monitor?

Better to not try and answer than to be an asshat about it.

Better to not try and answer than to be an asshat about it.

lol he's not being an asshat! :p To answer mastercheif's question, I haven't been able to tell the difference after six months (like doing a really quick toggle back and forth between the old and new profile) on most monitors. I would still definitely rent that spyder3 to calibrate it once, and if you can try to use the RGB sliders option while calibrating so that you'll have near 6500K without a profile (especially nice for games or other 3d apps that reset the LUT).

In my opinion you'll probably do just fine calibrating it every six months, but then again I haven't had my monitor that long so I don't know how much it changes.

I don't know I view it as the op has spent the money to buy the new monitor, he is serious enough about it to go ahead and rent a calibrator. Then the first responder questions him with, did you care enough about your current monitor to calibrate it. Sounds like an asshat to me.

He's asking for help, not to be questioned about his motive.

I don't know I view it as the op has spent the money to buy the new monitor, he is serious enough about it to go ahead and rent a calibrator. Then the first responder questions him with, did you care enough about your current monitor to calibrate it. Sounds like an asshat to me.

lol, wow... I don't have an "asshat" fiber in my body. Sorry you COMPLETELY misinterpreted the tone of my response. Good lord.

It was very black and white. He's asking us if he should rent a calibrator for his new monitor. That's like me asking a stranger if I should go ahead and buy an underground splinker system for my lawn. How would they know how much I care about my lawn and if could justify the cost/value of doing so?

Monitor calibration is the most important thing to some people, and some others simply could not care any less about it. Only you know how picky you are about such things. If you think you'll be driven insane by not knowing if your reds are the right red or not.

Mastercheif,

My actual advice would be to get the monitor in your hands and see if you can find some settings you're happy with through self-calibration. You might think the monitor is perfect from the get-go. You can always rent a calibrator afterwards if you think it looks out of whack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodscomp

lol, wow... I don't have an "asshat" fiber in my body. Sorry you COMPLETELY misinterpreted the tone of my response. Good lord.

It was very black and white. He's asking us if he should rent a calibrator for his new monitor. That's like me asking a stranger if I should go ahead and buy an underground splinker system for my lawn. How would they know how much I care about my lawn and if could justify the cost/value of doing so?

Monitor calibration is the most important thing to some people, and some others simply could not care any less about it. Only you know how picky you are about such things. If you think you'll be driven insane by not knowing if your reds are the right red or not.

I didn't think you were being an asshat either, it's a valid question. I tried using the OSX Colorsync monitor calibrator to do it myself, but I defiantly don't have an eye for natural white point setting at all. I also wen't to tftcentral to use the profile uploaded there, but those were most defiantly off as it seemed the color temperature was way to cold. I've been using the adobe rgb profile built into osx, and it seems ok, but I think there could defiantly be some improvements in both black level and gamma. There is a site offering the Sypder3express for $69.99 until the end of the night, and I have a print friend with the spyder3elite. I think I'm going to jump the shark on the spyder3express and then just "borrow" my friends spyder3elite software considering they use the same sensor.

If the NEC was bigger and had a higher resoluton (like the 24" 1920x1200 I have now) I probably would have ordered it already, but right now I can't make up my mind whether to get the NEC or wait until 1920x1200 or higher res IPS monitors become affordable (2560x1440 would be sweet).
There is ZR24w coming from HP. 24", 1920x1200. Price is unknown but it is expected to be affordable. Release end of February. Thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1491561

Quick question, Is it a wise idea to place a center channel speaker under this monitor (on top of the base)? The speaker IS magnetically shielded.

THANKS!

I just ordered one of these. Attempted to order from buy.com, everyone on the phone line sounds like they just arrived in the US from China 5 minutes ago. They didn't even know how to charge my credit card and also tried to hard sell me a $60 headless phone set out of the blue. If the woman was in front of me I probably would have instructed my dog to attack her. Hung up and ordered from somewhere else.

Ha! You're lucky that you found that out before ordering. I've had some serious annoyance trying to return defective product to buy.com, and that's something you don't usually find out until it's WAY too late to go elsewhere.

Speaker magnetic shielding is only needed for CRT monitors. It's done to keep the tiny electron beam in the monitor from interacting with the speaker's magnetic field. Since this LCD monitor has no electron beam, any speaker will work fine.

Quick question, Is it a wise idea to place a center channel speaker under this monitor (on top of the base)? The speaker IS magnetically shielded.

THANKS!

Is there a kind soul out there that can provide an icc profile with a gamma of 2.2 and a native white point? The tftcentral ones are excellent for gamma but the white point is too blue and my white mouse cursor looks red. Thanks in advance.

It should be allowing you to select the file, if not make sure you're doing step 4/what Antimatter said.

Edit: Also, if for some reason you would prefer to run 75hz (a much more common frequency), here's the 75hz displayport driver.

Thanks very much for walking me through it chaps! i'll give the 75hz one a go, i'm getting flickering with the 83hz driver for some reason.

So, has anyone found a way to get higher than 60 hz using the displayport? I don't believe the previous edid overrides work.

I used the timings that were supposed to give 74hz over DVI, but for some reason my macbook pro and my monitor are reporting 68hz. However, it is working and there is a noticeable difference.

Can anyone tell me where the heck can you buy a Nec EA231WMi in Europe?

I've been googling my penis off trying to find a reseller that ships inside the EU, either for the nec or the viewsonic and didn't find a thing.

I only found resellers for very few countries like uk/germany but I for one live in Romania and can't find any store that has this product and ships it to more than ONE country :|

Anyone not from a major EU country here? :D

Back