NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

you propably need to see what happens when everyday for a week working to get correct information how good this display is.

sometimes 9 consecutive hours is not enough.
Grandpatzer, I think you misunderstood. I've been using this as my primary monitor for just over three months, in sessions up to 9 hours long. Not that I got it recently and used it for a single 9 hour session. I wouldn't want to think about the total amount of time I've spent staring at that screen, most of it staring at text. No eye strain issues yet, though admittedly my eyes are somewhat less susceptible to strain than they could be.

I see many of you have used or upgraded to this from a PVA. I really would like to hear your comparison opinions. I've only ever used a TN and PVA but really love the contrast "pop" of the PVA. I have read the advantages of an IPS, better color uniformity, no contrast shifting, etc, but are you giving up a lot of the contrast the PVA offers? I certainly would never go back to a TN from a PVA

I finally got my 2 NEC looking the same. I just kept 3 windows open in between both monitors; a colorful game like WoW in the city of dalaran, a website with solid grey, and another with blue like msn.com. i then ran the windows calibrator separately on each monitor and one needed slighlty more gamma to get the colors to match. Now I'm happy :D. When I get the third I might consider renting Spyder Pro or similar software.

Can someone measure their monitor and tell me what the actual HEIGHT of the screen is? Not including the bezel.

I currently have a Dell 19" 4:3 and don't want to buy this one if I am going to lose height.

Thanks much.

On NEC's website, when you are viewing the EA231WMi, there should be a "Downloads" tab which will contain a PDF file showing the exact dimensions of the monitor, including the screen without the bezel.

Bruce I'm in the same boat. They're equal in height. Get a 24 inch 16:10
displaywars.com

U2410 and HP 2475 then are your 24" IPS options in the $500 range. Meanwhile the NEC 2490Wuxi weighs in at a cool 1K.

The reason the NEC EA231wmi is popular is because it gives you an IPS panel and 1080P at a $300 price point.

Now if you're willing to settle for TN, you can get a 28" Hanns G and give up no height at all for around $300-350.

The reason the NEC EA231wmi is popular is because it gives you an IPS panel and 1080P at a $300 price point.

And a good stand, 3yr warranty and DisplayPort... also had a USB hub and some useless speakers... haha... (But I think it has a headphone port, which might be handy to some people if you only use headphones).

Really the only thing that would have made this the perfect screen is if it was 1920 x 1200 24"... especially for $300... would have paid $350-400 probably for all of that.

Still gotta get my 5000 series ATI card or whatever I plan on doing so I can get triple monitor's going :D

Really the only thing that would have made this the perfect screen is if it was 1920 x 1200 24"... especially for $300... would have paid $350-400 probably for all of that.
But then it probably would have been pricier. I'm a bit annoyed that when I made my decision the HP ZR24w (24" x1200) wasn't yet announced. Easy to predict that one will be a new frontrunner for affordable IPS if the price is what it is expected to be.

But then it probably would have been pricier. I'm a bit annoyed that when I made my decision the HP ZR24w (24" x1200) wasn't yet announced. Easy to predict that one will be a new frontrunner for affordable IPS if the price is what it is expected to be.

Yep, that is the one I am waiting for if the NEC is the same height or smaller than my current monitor.

Thanks for posting the height FARK!!!

Xbit Labs review:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/nec-ms-ea231wmi.html

Page 7 (response time):

ea231wmiresp3d.png

"Indeed, my measurements suggest that its real average response time is 16.7 milliseconds (GtG)."

:0

Nice link. I think most of us who have purchased this monitor knew about the response times before we bought it though. The bottom line for me was buy the p2310h for 1080p, display port,and portrait mode stand or spend 50bucks more and get ips. The choice was easy. Sure u can get the dell cheaper used but u lose the 3 year warranty.

I didn't meant it that way (I own one too) but I was just surprised by that figure. If it was black-to-white figure, then it would be pretty much what the spec (14 ms) says... I guess what TFTCentral suggested in their review is correct then: "They have however stuck with the modest 14ms figure, either because it gives a more accurate comparative view of the screens performance compared with other competing models (which it seems to do), or because perhaps the ISO black > white response time is actually the fastest transition here, despite the RTC and so they've stuck with that number rather than a G2G figure."

Yeah ur right then, good point. I haven't noticed any input lag issues while gaming, but then again I'm no pro. I upgraded from a slower pva so I don't notice it I guess.

Well, my credit card is going to be gunning for me. I've been eyeballing these for a while and I just pulled the trigger on 3.

Ugh. Hopefully I can drown the burden of financial irresponsibility with gorgeous imagery after they arrive.

How does the lag input compares with the previous eIPS by dell? I'm considering buying this for gaming. I'm not interested in viewing angles or color accuracy per-se, but from what i understand the picture is simply better on IPS panels. One thing that always bothered me since switching from CRT to a TN panel is the grainy, washed out look. A lot of the games i play are pretty atmospheric and if switching to an IPS panel would improve the visual quality i may consider getting one. My current monitor is a Hyundai L90D+, which has an input lag of 8ms, and so far it served me decently enough. I wish i could see one but there doesn't appear to many retail centers in North America that carry this type of screens, at least not close to where i live.

I think you really mean response time. Input lag is a different thing. You should read what TFTCentral says about gaming/responsiveness. In a nutshell: in practice nonexistent input lag, response time-wise not the fastest but suitable for gaming. It just depends how hardcore gamer you are (online first person shooters?).

edit

Last edited:
I do play online first person shooters. I really wish i could try this monitor before making a decision as i have no idea how much the slow responsiveness is going to bother me. Does anyone here play fast video games at all? Is it really going to be that cumbersome?

I do play online first person shooters. I really wish i could try this monitor before making a decision as i have no idea how much the slow responsiveness is going to bother me. Does anyone here play fast video games at all? Is it really going to be that cumbersome?

Lucky for me I don't notice any ghosting/lag on a 2001fp, 2005fpw, or the 2407wfp that I had for a year before selling it (I am now looking for another 24" :D).

I am currently in the boat for a new/second monitor. At the moment I have a Dell 2007WFP (IPS) and I am very pleased with that monitor, I do a lot of Coding, Photoediting and some FPS gaming on this unit.

Because price is a consideration i cooked it down to the Dell 2209WA or the NEC EA231.
I am not really needing the 1080p resolution, but it is still nice to have.

My biggest gribe with the NEC is the brightness uniformity of this Monitor, the test at Prad.de and tftcentral.co.uk didn't show really good values, but it is hard to consider for me how much of an issue it really is in daily use. Input Lag seems to be only minimal so gaming is an option on that monitor, but i am not sure if my gtx260 is up to the nativ resolution for gaming. Is the interpolation on the NEC as good as on the Dell i have?

The Dell 2209WA seems to be also a nice unit with good brightness uniformity. But the input lag is worse than the NEC (at least in the prad.de test, another forum user showed a much lower input lag with his tests). The 1650 resolution is great for gaming, but it feels less like a step up than the 1920 from the NEC.

So what would be the best unit for me, considering that i am coming from a 2007WFP?

PS, I like the design of the Dell better :)

Last edited:
I play Quake Live, Unreal Tournament 2004 and Team Fortress 2 on a monitor with 33ms of input lag, it's below the threshold of perception. Don't worry about input lag FUD.

Would anyone else that is a hardcore FPS player like to chime in about this monitor? I'm getting ready to return my TN based monitor in favor of this NEC, since I'd like to be able to watch movies/etc on it without having to be sitting directly in front of the monitor.

Here's a pic of my 2 NEC's and my Sharp right above. I'm gonna order the 3rd as soon as the wife forgives me for the 2nd lol. I used my Droid's camera, so the quality is bad since it's a dark room.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4912/20100315200710.jpg

But I think this will not help in eyefinity?
As the Ati will put all contrast/brightness and colors to same.

Unless you changed the colors/brightness in hardware for display?

Last edited:
For those looking to get rid of their 20WMGX2, PM me as I might be interested in picking up a couple.

Thanks

I like my EA231WMi. Really great monitor. But I need a bit lower pixel pitch. Used to using 15.4 laptops at 0.1728mm. The NEC is 0.2652. I decided to buy 2 of the new HP ZR22w. It is 0.2475. Will be using side by side in portrait. Look into the ZR22w if you like the specs of the NEC but would prefer a bit lower pixel pitch.

I've been watching this monitor on Proadvantage where the price seems to jump around on a daily basis. Tonight, it's $295.63. That's an excellent price for this monitor isn't it?

Yea thats a good price. A day before yesterday they were going for $336 at provantage. That's a nice dip in price for a day or two later.

With shipping though it's a bit higher.

For me it looks like newegg is the cheapest @ $310 shipped... 2% cashback is like $303... either way not bad...

I'm still waiting on a 5870 before I get 2 more for eyefinity, but I might just get 1 more in the meantime for more screen realestate.

Had been debating between the Dell 2209WA, Samsung 2233RZ, and the NEC EA231WMi.
Pulled the trigger on the EA231WMi and it showed up about 6 hours ago.

Loving the monitor so far. I'm no display expert, so I can't say much more than that it looks amazing!

However, I did notice some backlight bleed in the bottom left corner. Only shows up when the image is black, but it is fairly noticeable, especially if the brightness is ramped up.

Is there anything I can do about it? If not, is it bad enough to contact NEC about - will they RMA/replace the current monitor due to the backlight bleed?

Here are some photos with brightness at 30%.
backlight1.jpg

backlight2.jpg

Back