NCASE M1 v2 Build Thread

Hi Locrin,

If you find the fullcover GPU blocks expensive, consider using a universal GPU block and a regular fan underneath the VRMs.

Try with just the C14 fan, run AIDA64 and monitor your temps at idle, and then again doing the stress test.. then go back and add fans if you feel it's actually necessary.

Thanks, sounds like a plan! If it looks like it will get too hot, I'll add some additional fans.

I already have all my parts. They are being run on my desktop without a case right now.

Pentium G3258
ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac
EVGA GTX 750 Ti
G.Skill 1866Mhz 8-9-9 8Gb
1TB HDD 3.5"
Corsair CS450M

Hi Locrin,

If you find the fullcover GPU blocks expensive, consider using a universal GPU block and a regular fan underneath the VRMs.

That's actually a great idea. Thanks for helping a beginner out. Anyone know if a universal gpu block for 700 series Nvidia cards will fit the coming 800 series?

No one has seen the GTX 800-series yet, so no one can tell you.

My M1 V2 is here, but I'm still waiting on future parts:

Maximus Impact VII (14nm cpu?)
Silverstone SX600-G
An actual HDMI 2.0 GPU with 4:4:4 color at 4k/60hz

Or, alternately, hoping that maybe an X99 mITX motherboard will be manufactured instead of the Impact VII. No company has confirmed but the possibility has been mentioned (at high cost.)

X99 on mITX is a pipe dream I'm afraid (like the other socket 2011 chips), most of it's features like more RAM support and more PCIe lanes, are wasted on mITX. So don't count on it.

X99 on mITX is a pipe dream I'm afraid (like the other socket 2011 chips), most of it's features like more RAM support and more PCIe lanes, are wasted on mITX. So don't count on it.

What you are saying is true, but the eight year old in my brain can't hear you. Something about rubber and glue? I don't speak grade school anymore.

This will be my first build so I'm looking for constructive criticism. Are there any parts I should change out? Should I add something? Should I remove something? Is it a balanced system? I'll be using a MX100 256GB dedicated to games, so don't worry about that.

I'm also looking for some recommendations regarding CPU coolers. Should I use an AIO water cooler or should I opt for air cooling? In either cases, which specific coolers are to be recommended for as high an overclock as possible in the Ncase M1? I'll be using four Noctua NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 3000 RPM regardless of what I choose, so keep that in mind.

MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Impact
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
RAM: G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz 8GB
GPU: Evga GeForce GTX 780 3GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
PSU: Silverstone SX600-G

If you are going to overclock as much as possible, I'd suggest going watercooling. Especially with the RAM which has huge heatsinks, negating many aircooler options. Also, the mass a 240mm radiator has is not easily attained with an aircooler inside the Ncase M1.

Make sure to get an EVGA GTX 780 with a blower-style cooler, to eliminate your GPU heating up your other components.
I'd also suggest getting the 256GB version of the SSD unless you really don't need any more space in the foreseable future. But the price/GB isn't really good on the 128GB one.

If you are going to overclock as much as possible, I'd suggest going watercooling. Especially with the RAM which has huge heatsinks, negating many aircooler options. Also, the mass a 240mm radiator has is not easily attained with an aircooler inside the Ncase M1.

Are you talking about proper custom watercooling or an AIO? Because I don't have the budget for custom watercooling. Though if it fits, I'll go with the H105 from Corsair.

Make sure to get an EVGA GTX 780 with a blower-style cooler, to eliminate your GPU heating up your other components.

That's precisely the one I'm getting.

I'd also suggest getting the 256GB version of the SSD unless you really don't need any more space in the foreseable future. But the price/GB isn't really good on the 128GB one.

I'm only going to use the 850 Pro as an OS drive with my programs on it. As a comparison, my six month old Windows 8.1 installation with everything I use on a daily basis consume less than 20GB. That might change in the foreseeable future but for now, I'm all set with a 128GB for the OS & programs and a 256GB for programs (I only ever install one or two at a time). Oh and yes, the 128GB version is priced similarly to other SSDs which is the main reason for picking it and not anything else.

Guys,

I have a silver ncase m1 with the extra panel still unopened in the box. I saw that Silverstone has the new/bigger PSU coming out soon, which is great. I was thinking of doing a build with x99 & the 8-core intel processor, ddr4, a Maxwell/800 card, and the swift rog monitor. Something that's kinda making me wonder - it might be that I need SLI to drive that monitor at high/ultra settings.

So I'm wondering if there's a market for case I have, or opinions on driving the monitor properly with a build in this case. I love the case btw - and the whole concept behind it - which is why I bought it.

Are you talking about proper custom watercooling or an AIO? Because I don't have the budget for custom watercooling. Though if it fits, I'll go with the H105 from Corsair.
An AIO is going to be fine for you, just look at this for compatibility: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041007317#post1041007317

I was thinking of doing a build with x99 & the 8-core intel processor, ddr4, a Maxwell/800 card, and the swift rog monitor. Something that's kinda making me wonder - it might be that I need SLI to drive that monitor at high/ultra settings.
You shouldn't be expecting the X99 platform for mITX anytime soon, it's main advantage is it's larger amount of maximum RAM and more PCIe lanes, which aren't going to be used on mITX.

But it seems like it's also not possible or atleast VERY difficult to do on mITX:

ZvKHYVG.png

This is the ASRock X99M (mATX), overlaid with an mITX size in blue outline. As you can see, the chipset isn't even included, as are almost all ports. The 2011 socket is just a lot bigger:

lJ1zdLk.png

That is an ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac overlaid. Look at the difference in socket size and you'll see the issue. The only way I'd ever see this happen if everything would be on daughterboards, even then it wouldn't be of much benefit over a socket 1150 board because it would only have 2 RAM slots and one PCIe slot. The only real advantage would be the support for 6 or 8-core CPU's.

If you really want 2560x1440 @ 144Hz, you will need atleast a dual-GPU card, which is also an issue with the Ncase M1, concerning heat. So concerning your needs, I'd go mATX or bigger.

I'll second what Phuncz said. You will want dual cards for that Swift ROG monitor so matx or atx.

This will be my first build so I'm looking for constructive criticism. Are there any parts I should change out? Should I add something? Should I remove something? Is it a balanced system? I'll be using a MX100 256GB dedicated to games, so don't worry about that.

I'm also looking for some recommendations regarding CPU coolers. Should I use an AIO water cooler or should I opt for air cooling? In either cases, which specific coolers are to be recommended for as high an overclock as possible in the Ncase M1? I'll be using four Noctua NF-F12 IndustrialPPC 3000 RPM regardless of what I choose, so keep that in mind.

MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Impact
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K
RAM: G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz 8GB
GPU: Evga GeForce GTX 780 3GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
PSU: Silverstone SX600-G

When overclocking in the M1 you also have to think about the cooling/air flow over the Power board, As your CPU mite be running cool when your board is cooking hot from lack of air flow.

When overclocking in the M1 you also have to think about the cooling/air flow over the Power board, As your CPU mite be running cool when your board is cooking hot from lack of air flow.

That'll be good to know. The only question remaining is should I have the H105 as intake or exhaust? I'm leaning to wards exhaust because 1.) I will have to fans on the bottom as intakes 2.) I wouldn't want to push the hot air from the rad over the PSU and the CPU/MOBO.

Any thoughts?

Just a note, the H105 is a moderately thick rad (38mm) which I don't really recommend. It can fit, but there's less clearance for the tubing, which can make installation more of a challenge. Radiators <30mm, like the H100i (27mm), are still what I'd recommend for most people.

Just a note, the H105 is a moderately thick rad (38mm) which I don't really recommend. It can fit, but there's less clearance for the tubing, which can make installation more of a challenge. Radiators <30mm, like the H100i (27mm), are still what I'd recommend for most people.

How about mounting the radiator first and then the fans in pull? Wouldn't that allow the tubing a little more room than if you were to do it reverse, which seems to be more common?

How about mounting the radiator first and then the fans in pull? Wouldn't that allow the tubing a little more room than if you were to do it reverse, which seems to be more common?

The H100i isn't fun to cram into the M1 ill hate to try it with a H105 the piping is a pain in the ass to and ends up pushing down on your board.

The H100i isn't fun to cram into the M1 ill hate to try it with a H105 the piping is a pain in the ass to and ends up pushing down on your board.

I'd hate for it to push down on anything but I mean, people have sucessfully fitted it. Can't be that hard. :)

That's probably the only way it can work, in fact. Take a look at what the H60i looks like installed, then compare it to these two builds with the H80i.

Sheesh, it'll be tight. There's still a fair bit of breathing room for the fans to work their magic but I reckon it'll be difficult with the cabling. Not only will I have to make sure the cables don't screw up the fans or vice versa but I also have to make sure they don't obstruct the path too much. Makes me wish I had some custom made cables for the SX600.

Sheesh, it'll be tight. There's still a fair bit of breathing room for the fans to work their magic but I reckon it'll be difficult with the cabling. Not only will I have to make sure the cables don't screw up the fans or vice versa but I also have to make sure they don't obstruct the path too much. Makes me wish I had some custom made cables for the SX600.

Just shorten the cables that come with the SX600 all you need is the tools, Probably best to put a fan grill on the fans to stop any cables pushing into them.

Just shorten the cables that come with the SX600 all you need is the tools, Probably best to put a fan grill on the fans to stop any cables pushing into them.

Maybe for another build. I'll see how it fares with the standard PP05-E.

I'll second what Phuncz said. You will want dual cards for that Swift ROG monitor so matx or atx.
You guys are getting it all wrong. The point of G-Sync is making the image look good even when your frames per second is dipping below 144 fps as long as you still have more than 30 fps as many reviews have said. If you already having a graphic solution that pushes out more than 144 fps, then you should just be getting a high refresh rate monitor without the G-Sync tax. Sure, the reviews says that the Swift has the best colors of all TN panels, but you can probably find a BenQ alternative that has a built in motion blur reduction mode that works even with other devices such as game consoles. When you consistently push out more than 144 fps minimum, you've made G-Sync pointless.

The point is you don't need a graphics solution that high. As long as your graphics card could push out 30 fps minimum, G-Sync could do wonders for you. And a single GTX 780 Ti does fix the bill for 1440p. Now I would admit that it fits the bill just barely, so it might be wiser to stick to 1080p instead until GTX 880 or whatever 800-series cards come out, which is what I'm currently doing.

You guys are getting it all wrong.
There is a difference between being wrong and having a different perspective or opinion. I am not wrong in advising dual GPU's when the goal is 1440p with 144fps most of the time. Why would one buy an $800 TN monitor to just be playing at 40-60fps, if you are planning an X99 build with SLI cards ?

The question was not "what GPU should I get".

So, I've been thinking for a bit whether I should go for the GTX 780 or pick a R9 290X instead which is considerably cheaper and similar in price to the R9 290. There's nothing Nvidia has that I'll miss out on if I go the AMD route and while I've had a better experience with Nvidia in the past as far as drivers go I'm willing to give AMD another try. The only bad thing about this choice would of course be the heat but regardless of which GPU I end up going with I'll use two Noctua NF-F12 3000 RPM on the bottom to push in air.

Edit: Or maybe not. Haven't read much good about their recent drivers on OCN and Guru3D.

Last edited:
You guys are getting it all wrong. The point of G-Sync is making the image look good even when your frames per second is dipping below 144 fps as long as you still have more than 30 fps as many reviews have said. If you already having a graphic solution that pushes out more than 144 fps, then you should just be getting a high refresh rate monitor without the G-Sync tax. Sure, the reviews says that the Swift has the best colors of all TN panels, but you can probably find a BenQ alternative that has a built in motion blur reduction mode that works even with other devices such as game consoles. When you consistently push out more than 144 fps minimum, you've made G-Sync pointless.

The point is you don't need a graphics solution that high. As long as your graphics card could push out 30 fps minimum, G-Sync could do wonders for you. And a single GTX 780 Ti does fix the bill for 1440p. Now I would admit that it fits the bill just barely, so it might be wiser to stick to 1080p instead until GTX 880 or whatever 800-series cards come out, which is what I'm currently doing.

This is... completely wrong. G-Sync has nothing to do with how many frames your pushing out - more or less, its about refreshing the monitor the same amount of frames the graphics card is pushing out. It's the solution to V-Sync and screen tearing that people have hated to death. The reason why G-Sync requires at least 30 frames is because that's the minimum thresh hold that G-Sync can activate on otherwise your still going to get some syncing issues (which is reasonable). Also if your outputting more then 144fps, like V-sync it locks it to a max of 144fps so that again - the screen doesn't tear.

Also a 780ti is nowhere near enough for to run modern games at a constant 60+ fps at high settings MAYBE with a really good overclock but even then thats pushing it.

i would advise against thick rads (h105) - the example given above is my build with the h80i - and it was tight enough that i wasnt happy to have it mounted above the mobo with the tubes being kinked as much as they were. i am replacing the h80i for a thinner rad - likely a thermaltake water 3.0 performer at this point.

fair warning here - i was unable to mount the h80i in a pull setup due due conflict with the power plug at the rear - this was mainly due to the extra height of the rad with the tubes at either the top or bottom of the rad.

i would advise against thick rads (h105) - the example given above is my build with the h80i - and it was tight enough that i wasnt happy to have it mounted above the mobo with the tubes being kinked as much as they were. i am replacing the h80i for a thinner rad - likely a thermaltake water 3.0 performer at this point.

fair warning here - i was unable to mount the h80i in a pull setup due due conflict with the power plug at the rear - this was mainly due to the extra height of the rad with the tubes at either the top or bottom of the rad.

Thanks for the input. I'll reconsider my cooler of choice. Any notable mentions if I'm looking to do a decent overclock? Air coolers preferred.

Also, I've revised my build. I'm dropping the GPU because the 880 probably isn't far away from launch. Instead, I'll be going with an i7 4790K, 16GB of RAM and a Crucial MX100 512GB to serve as a storage device for games (it's still cheaper than the original build by far). Yay? Nay?

Thanks for the input. I'll reconsider my cooler of choice. Any notable mentions if I'm looking to do a decent overclock? Air coolers preferred.

Also, I've revised my build. I'm dropping the GPU because the 880 probably isn't far away from launch. Instead, I'll be going with an i7 4790K, 16GB of RAM and a Crucial MX100 512GB to serve as a storage device for games (it's still cheaper than the original build by far). Yay? Nay?

This is just my opinion but unless you need the multi threading I would say go with a 4690k to save some money and invest in something else, its been proven in multiple reviews that in game performance their almost entirely equal even when overclocked. 16GB's of RAM is okay or you could go with 8GB to again save money but thats entirely dependent on your situation and whether you need it or want to future proof it, either ones really fine in this case. As for the GPU good choice on holding, Gigabytes CEO confirmed september release for 880 GTX. For the cooler you could use something like a h100i or the H220 and glacier 240L AIO's in case you want to expand later on and include the GPU.

This is just my opinion but unless you need the multi threading I would say go with a 4690k to save some money and invest in something else, its been proven in multiple reviews that in game performance their almost entirely equal even when overclocked. 16GB's of RAM is okay or you could go with 8GB to again save money but thats entirely dependent on your situation and whether you need it or want to future proof it, either ones really fine in this case. As for the GPU good choice on holding, Gigabytes CEO confirmed september release for 880 GTX. For the cooler you could use something like a h100i or the H220 and glacier 240L AIO's in case you want to expand later on and include the GPU.

But I'd rather not upgrade to Broadwell and Skylake to get a boost in performance when games, perhaps, start making use of more cores/threads. In any event, the 4790K is a good performer and since I'm not picking up a GPU anytime soon I might as well get it since the budget allows for it. Am I wrong thinking that way, though?

But I'd rather not upgrade to Broadwell and Skylake to get a boost in performance when games, perhaps, start making use of more cores/threads. In any event, the 4790K is a good performer and since I'm not picking up a GPU anytime soon I might as well get it since the budget allows for it. Am I wrong thinking that way, though?

It's a $100 gamble as to whether games will make use of hyperthreading in future. So far only BF4 and Watch Dogs benefit from hyperthreading.
Outdated ram just gets more overpriced with time so I'd max it out with 16GB.

It's a $100 gamble as to whether games will make use of hyperthreading in future. So far only BF4 and Watch Dogs benefit from hyperthreading.

When you put it like that. So an i5 4690K and 16GB of RAM? That sounds good. Which mainstream Intel platform will make use of DDR4? Is it Broadwell?

When you put it like that. So an i5 4690K and 16GB of RAM? That sounds good. Which mainstream Intel platform will make use of DDR4? Is it Broadwell?

It looks like Broadwell consumer desktops will still be using DDR3. So probably Skylake.

It looks like Broadwell consumer desktops will still be using DDR3. So probably Skylake.

So a bit far off then. Hm, I'm actually just going with the original 4690K + 8GB. The price difference isn't huge but enough to make a difference. Thanks for convincing me to not spend more than what's necessary! :)

4790k does have a 500MHz bump over the 4690k.. not sure if that will make any difference in gaming, or whatever else the OP intends to do with it.

Do agree about getting 16GB, though.. try to get it on sale and save a few bucks, but otherwise RAM pricing only seems to go up.

4790k does have a 500MHz bump over the 4690k.. not sure if that will make any difference in gaming, or whatever else the OP intends to do with it.

Do agree about getting 16GB, though.. try to get it on sale and save a few bucks, but otherwise RAM pricing only seems to go up.

I'll unlikely do any memory-intensive tasks any time soon so I'm sticking with 8GB. And as for the CPU. Well. I realize I don't need something that powerful.

Back