NCASE M1 v2 Build Thread

If you read in context, you would have noticed, WiSK quoted Onar3d, who replied on my post saying to possibly wait for the Silverstone SX600-G PSU for his build :)

If you read in context, you would have noticed, WiSK quoted Onar3d, who replied on my post saying to possibly wait for the Silverstone SX600-G PSU for his build :)

Sorry, sorry. Thought you were talking about the case.

Yeah I can understand the confusion, everybody anxious for their shiny new Ncase :D

Yeah I can understand the confusion, everybody anxious for their shiny new Ncase :D

You bet. I'm glad I decided to order it anyway seeing as how the inventory is almost empty. I'm wondering how one should clean the panels though. A microfiber cloth and water?

I got my case. I noticed that when I installed the H100i so I noticed that the tubes go pretty tight. Is this the best way to install H100i? I lift the tubes up slightly after that I didn't noticed anymore tubes would be compacted.

I found few pictures where is H100i installed differently. But they don't use separate GPU. Maybe that SFX 600W will help because flat cables. I know that may setup is little horrible right now but I am waiting my SFX power. This 450W is horrible.

My installation:
QDLyASD.jpg

Other installation:
04-H100iInterior_zps8e6604c3.jpg

WiSK, I think I might just do that :) all I can find is a swedish site listing it for 140euros, do you have a link to an EU seller from which I can order/pre-order? Preferably at a more reasonable price :)

Thanks!

CyberShot: I think it is indeed easier if you install it like the bottom picture: radiator's tubing in the front, waterblock's tubing in the back.

I have try that and see how it goes. Maybe I can find a solution for those power cables.

I'm wondering how one should clean the panels though. A microfiber cloth and water?

I've been using disposable anti-static cleaning wipes "for electronics" (the ones that are safe for monitors) on my black M1.

They do a great job of removing dust and fingerprint "stains", without leaving behind any fabric or residual cleaning product. They're the only thing I've used to clean my other black Lian-Li case for over a decade, and the finish still looks brand new.

I just use a slightly-moist no-name yellow kitchen towels, that absorbs fluids. It's annodized so it can take a little less sensitive care than for instance high-gloss plastic *shudder*.

WiSK, I think I might just do that :) all I can find is a swedish site listing it for 140euros, do you have a link to an EU seller from which I can order/pre-order? Preferably at a more reasonable price :)

Thanks!

http://www.alternate.de/SilverStone/SST-SX600-G-600W-Netzteil/html/product/1147095

That's the cheapest price, but their shipping is expensive outside Germany.

There is also a Danish site for Alternate perhaps it's cheaper...

I just ordered the NCASE v2, are these starting to ship already?

State-side I'm talking about, on the website it says 2014-09-22, just want to make sure

I just ordered the NCASE v2, are these starting to ship already?

State-side I'm talking about, on the website it says 2014-09-22, just want to make sure

Yeah, the US-bound v2's are still on a boat from Taiwan to NJ, and should start shipping out from New York around 9/22.. hopefully.

So you're buying another one Niv? Thought you already had 2 of the v1's?

Hey AFD,

I sold one of my V1 on ebay for a bit of money, so I made a profit. Which left only my V1, which I'll give to my brother for his ITX build, which means I need a new case, and the V2 is the winner :D

The changes are really minor though, so I'm assuming everything is compatible. I can't wait to see you guys review your 600W PSU to see if it's good or not.

Black M1 v2
ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac
16GB RAM 2400 Kingston
i7 4770
Gigabyte 280X Windforce V2
240GB Samsung EVO
2TB WD RED
450W SFX silverstone (Loud) waiting for 600W version
Windows 8.1

ive been cleaning my black v2 with a microfiber cloth that is used for glasses (the eye kind) - that and a little water on it works well enough to get all the greasy finger marks off mine - so clean!

Yeah, the 'ol trusty microfiber + water should do the trick it seems like. Just gotta keep one exclusively reserved for the Ncase. Don't want anything else defiling it. :)

I tested but my H100i other side but noticed that then my hard drives won't fit. So I put H100i the same way as it was. I noticed also that when I put this together I pull those tubes little up. Then tubes won't flatten.

Having read the manual for the Z97 EVGA Stinger I feel myself wanting it more than the Asus Impact. The fan headers are more or less the same as on the Impact, that is to say the CPU_HEADER is PWM and every other fan header is DC. I much prefer the looks of the EVGA and the fact that it doesn't have a ton of daughterboards sticking up in the air appeals to me. Plus it's devoid of the colour red which is always a good thing. I might be taking a huge gamble going with the EVGA due to their BIOS issues in the past but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Having read the manual for the Z97 EVGA Stinger I feel myself wanting it more than the Asus Impact. The fan headers are more or less the same as on the Impact, that is to say the CPU_HEADER is PWM and every other fan header is DC. I much prefer the looks of the EVGA and the fact that it doesn't have a ton of daughterboards sticking up in the air appeals to me. Plus it's devoid of the colour red which is always a good thing. I might be taking a huge gamble going with the EVGA due to their BIOS issues in the past but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Do you know the approx price of the EVGA board? I want the Impact, but man it is one pricey board.

What cooler do you recommend between the Noctua NH-C12P SE14, Noctua NH-L12 and the Corsair H60? It's for a 4790K

What cooler do you recommend between the Noctua NH-C12P SE14, Noctua NH-L12 and the Corsair H60? It's for a 4790K

The C12 and L12 are supposed to have similar performance (the C12 is still available, but being discontinued and replaced by the L12). The C14 should perform better than both, but is larger and will block the side 3.5" HDD mounting bracket (will fit without, depending on motherboard).

For the moment, I'm using a Noctua A15 PWM fan on my C12 and it seems to be keeping my temps fairly decent on the 4790k. Idle seems a tad high at ~36C (ASUS Q-fan control on Turbo via BIOS is still keeping the A15 quietly under 50% RPM), and 4-core avg temps stay in the 70's running AIDA64 and Prime95's default stress tests (it will eventually throttle on FPU-only and Small-FFT tests).

No idea about closed-loop coolers, so hopefully someone else can chime in here. Depending on fitment, I think the H80 would be a better choice over the H60 for that CPU (or something even larger if you're not using the side 3.5" HDD bracket).

Any of those should be fine for the 4790k at stock clocks (and much better than the Intel HSF), but if you're planning on overclocking at all, then you might wanna go with biggest cooler that will fit your build.

You plan to overclock? I would say either the C14 or the H80. If you dont plan to overclock the NH-L12 or the H60 will do the job. The overall champ is full water cooling set up.

In terms of noise the Noctuas will be better than Corsair AIOs? I think i will go with the NH-L12

Thanks for the answers!

Waiting on case, but:

Silver M1 v2 w/ODD
Intel Pentium G3258
CPU Cooler: Stock or Noctua NH-C12P SE14
ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac
G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333
Asus Strix 750 Ti
120 GB Intel SSD
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
3TB Seagate HDD
ODD: Panasonic UJ-265 Blu-Ray Burner Drive
PSU: ???

Waiting on case, but:

Silver M1 v2 w/ODD
Intel Pentium G3258
CPU Cooler: Stock or Noctua NH-C12P SE14
ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac
G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333
Asus Strix 750 Ti
120 GB Intel SSD
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
3TB Seagate HDD
ODD: Panasonic UJ-265 Blu-Ray Burner Drive
PSU: ???
Seems fine. Just remember that you will need an SFX PSU with those hard drives installed.

Seems fine. Just remember that you will need an SFX PSU with those hard drives installed.

Yeah, I was pretty sure I didn't have a choice and am likely going with the Silverstone SST-SX600-G over the 450w due to noise in the later.

Thanks for the response!

Hi,

Eagerly awaiting my V2 and have selected the comps below. Can anyone see any issues? esp with the Mobo and Cooler or the GTX780?
I think it should all fit and run cool enough. I’ve no intention of overclock btw. Thanks for looking

Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler with 140mm fan
Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120x120x25mm, 4-pin PWM
Noctua NF-A9X14 PWM 92x92x14mm, 4-pin PWM
SilverStone CP11
Ref blower EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti, 3GB, 03G-P4-2881-KR
ASUS Z97I-PLUS Intel Z97 ITX LGA1150
Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 CL9
Intel Devil's Canyon Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz 8MB
Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB SATA3 SSD (MZ-7KE256BW)
Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX 4TB 64MB
PSU – Silverstone SFX SX600-g 600w

Last edited:
Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler with 140mm fan
Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120x120x25mm, 4-pin PWM
Noctua NF-A9X14 PWM 92x92x14mm, 4-pin PWM
SilverStone CP11
Ref blower EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti, 3GB, 03G-P4-2881-KR
ASUS Z97I-PLUS Intel Z97 ITX LGA1150
Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 CL9
Intel Devil's Canyon Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz 8MB
Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB SATA3 SSD (MZ-7KE256BW)
Western Digital Black WD4003FZEX 4TB 64MB
PSU – Silverstone SFX SX600-g 600w

Everything looks good to me, fitment wise.. though I don't think the Corsair Vengeance RAM will fit under the C12 (max RAM height is 44mm, and those modules are ~53mm).

I'd probably recommend against the CP11 cables.. I've had 2 go bad on me already (cutting SATA speeds in half and random disconnects). Also, I'd probably recommend mounting your 140mm fan direct to the C12.. seems to have improved my CPU temps vs having the fan mounted on the side rack (blowing air across empty space before hitting the heatsink).

For RAM, either go with something "very low-profile" like the Crucial Ballistix Sports VLP, or at least consider the standard height Vengeance low-profile..

Fm2bWJh.png

Thanks for that. I actually forgot to put LP in the RAM description those are actually 26.25mm...
Thanks for the tip on the CP11, is there anything you would recommend to replace them?
Also i think the C12p SE14 comes with a 140mm Fan to mount on top so should be good to go..
thanks for the tips!!

Another one waiting for my V2 to arrive. This is what I'm currently planning. Need some CPU cooler and fan advice though.

Asus Maximus VII Impact
Intel Core i7-4790K
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM
MSI GTX 770 Gaming
Silverstone SST-SX600-G
2 x 5TB Toshiba HDD
2 x 240GB Samsung SSD

The height of the RAM limits my CPU cooler options (already have the RAM so not practical to swap it for something else).
I have a Corsair H100i in my current system, but need the HDD's, so can't use that.
Current thinking is either Corsair H60 SE, H80i (I believe I'd need to swap one of the fans for a thinner model) or the Noctua NH-L12 (without the bottom fan for RAM clearance?). Which one is likely to be best or are there better alternatives?

Based on the above is it worth fitting any fans in the bottom of the case or on the rear (assuming one would fit)? I see a lot of people using the F12.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi!

A quick question: can I skip spending on the fancy CPU cooler on the below build, and just use the stock cooler that comes with the i5-4960k? Or will it overheat? I don't plan on overclocking for now.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/VMLCZL

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.94 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler (£62.81 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£40.99 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£62.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£83.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£194.08 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply (£109.55 @ Overclockers.co.uk)

Total: £721.52

The build is ending up costing more than I can spend right now, and I'm looking at ways I can reduce what I spend up front, without getting a crippled machine or parts I'll want to replace too soon...

The power supply could be much cheaper but I'm planning on using this also as a home music studio PC, so noise is a bit of an issue and with the stuff said about the 450w I'm a bit scared off :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I actually forgot to put LP in the RAM description those are actually 26.25mm...
Thanks for the tip on the CP11, is there anything you would recommend to replace them?
Also i think the C12p SE14 comes with a 140mm Fan to mount on top so should be good to go..
thanks for the tips!!

I searched the Corsair part number you listed, and it showed it as oversized, so that's why I mentioned it. Nothing else quite like the CP11 out right now, unless you can find the new black versions (not sure if quality is better, but it might be). The ones that ship with your Z97i-Plus are probably fine. And yes the SE14 ships with a 140mm fan, just keep in mind that it's not a PWM one.

Onar3d, Your motherboard is a microATX. This won't fit in the M1. You will need a Mini-ITX motherboard.

Actually it is one of the few that do fit, there was a few posts about these in-between motherboards on here, and at least one that does fit, which had the same dimensions as this one.

Can't link to the thread now, I'm on my phone...

Indeed, it's a FlexATX spec board but the industry doesn't want to use that term because it is not well-known, so they rather be confusing and call it MicroATX, which the FlexATX spec is a part of.

But it should indeed fit !

Actually it is one of the few that do fit, there was a few posts about these in-between motherboards on here, and at least one that does fit, which had the same dimensions as this one.

Can't link to the thread now, I'm on my phone...

Ahh, did not know that.

Onar3d:

If money is an issue, slip the 760 as a future purchase as you can still use the PC (not for gaming) until later and use the stock CPU cooler.

Back