NCASE M1 Softshell Carry Bag for community

LOL, I have to admit I'm one of these over eager fans of this case too, but a full two weeks would be tomorrow. Can't you wait an additional day?

At this point, all I can really do is relay information from the seamstress to the forum, and I’m still waiting as well. Both the seamstress(mostly) and I are shouldering the development costs, so she has tried to be efficient and conservative when ordering materials for design and prototyping work. This results in a certain amount of waiting for materials to ship and arrive, so sometimes progress feels slower than one would like.

A significant amount of work went into pocket development, but the design for all of the pockets options and closures has been settled. She tried several different pocket designs and picked the ones that worked best for this material. I believe there will be two pocket-type options, so carrying capacity and style preference can be customized to some degree. I don't know that I have permission to show you the pictures, since they aren't "customer-ready" but here is a sneak peek of the narrow-side cargo pocket option mock-up. It really is a mock-up, so don’t go nuts at irrelevant details like pins and random velcro.

Narrow-side Cargo pocket option (mock)
9ite2h.jpg
2z6dzyr.jpg

She has ordered a batch of labels, and here’s the proof of what the woven label looks like. Ideally, she would like to show the actual label on the production bag photos for the ordering website (since the paper print mocks weren’t as helpful as hoped), but there is a two week delivery estimate from the label company, so I’m not sure what will happen in that regard.
4s08m1.jpg

I hope to hear more from her soon and will pass it along when I do.

I believe there will be two pocket-type options, so carrying capacity and style preference can be customized to some degree.

So there might be an option for a smaller, non-protruding narrow-side pocket.. for those of us that just wanna carry a mouse there, and not War & Peace? :D

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the update.

Will there be option of that deep pocket along the length of the case for a mini-keyboard?

So there might be an option for a smaller, non-protruding narrow-side pocket.. for those of us that just wanna carry a mouse there, and not War & Peace? :D

Will there be option of that deep pocket along the length of the case for a mini-keyboard?

To the best of my knowledge, yes and yes. She is very aware that there are some different needs and preferences. :)

Edit: PS, that's obviously Harry Potter. ;)

Some bags are irritating to carry because unevenly weight distribution torques it enough that they tilt like 15+ degrees, and that's a bit annoying.

Can I add a suggestion to offset the handle position to account for the pockets, with respect to center of gravity? That, or have them set wide enough that things in the pockets might not affect cg so much.

I didn't take the time to look back through the 8 other pages since I've last been here, but is there a rough estimate on once these get shipped how long it will take for us to receive them? I'm going to be heading to QuakeCon at the end of July and would LOVE to use this bag by then.

I didn't take the time to look back through the 8 other pages since I've last been here, but is there a rough estimate on once these get shipped how long it will take for us to receive them? I'm going to be heading to QuakeCon at the end of July and would LOVE to use this bag by then.

Well, the bags are still in the sample/design phase at the moment, after which should be the pre-order and production stage. No definitive ETA on anything has been announced, other than Char's guesstimate of "a few months" for production, depending on orders. Shipping time after completion will probably just depend on where you live.

Guess end of July would be a possibility, but it's probably still too soon to tell.

Can I add a suggestion to offset the handle position to account for the pockets, with respect to center of gravity? That, or have them set wide enough that things in the pockets might not affect cg so much.

The design phase is done, so I won't be requesting any more changes. The handles are wrap-around, so I'm not sure that your off-center concern applies to that. Could you simply pack your pockets with somewhat symmetrical weight?

I'm going to be heading to QuakeCon at the end of July and would LOVE to use this bag by then.

Seems quite possible! My best guess, based on past discussions, is that orders will be constructed and shipped weekly on a first come, first served basis. So the earliest orders will be the first to ship out. If she uses Etsy, there will probably be a shipping estimate on the order page.

I haven't heard the details yet, but like you, I hope to hear soon. I'm out of town all next week, with little computer access, but will do my best to pass along what I hear. My hope is that the order website will be available in that time, but without confirmation from the seamstress, I'm not sure how accurate that hope is. I also want to place my bag order. :)

Care to share? I can't help but wonder that you would be adding a case bundle to the new campaign now. XD

Not for the new campaign.

Depending on what charww wants to do / has time to do in the long term, I was thinking maybe we can collaborate.

I travel 5 days a week for work. I'm more of a carry-on rolling suitcase guy. Since I travel so much and live out of my suitcases, I'm bit of a prosumer when it comes to luggage.

I just want to see what charww has in mind.

Good idea wahaha360, I'm sure your experience with the Ncase and being a travel pro will assure us this carry bag will be every bit as thought out as the case itself !

Good idea wahaha360, I'm sure your experience with the Ncase and being a travel pro will assure us this carry bag will be every bit as thought out as the case itself !

The utility aspect of the bags looks pretty good already - not sure how much more I can add beyond what is already discussed.

I'm curious if I can help along the lines of production, costs, mixing materials (see images below).

I figured I should talk with charww and listen to her thoughts, nothing too specific in mind.

TdDYuh6l.jpg

0T0U3dql.png

^^ Meh. Looks to much like a man-purse for my tastes.. def prefer the current design, which more closely resembles a pro video bag.

Hey there. Just back from travels, myself.
I like the look of the 5.11 tactical bags that were posted.

I'm glad folks are liking the way the current bag looks. I'm expecting the seamstress' order page to be posted anytime now. I hope?

Just to clarify, I am not the seamstress. I didn't construct the bag. I provided much of the design work and represented our preferences to the seamstress, but have to say that she added tremendous value to the end product in improvements and suggestions. Now that I've represented to the seamstress what we want in a bag, it is entirely in her hands for production and sales. I'm not involved in selling the bags at all myself, nor profiting from them.

I'm not sure how large her production capacity is, in terms of bundling with future NCASE campaigns, but if that is something of interest to the NCASE team, I could probably be talked into helping facilitate options. The benefit of working with an individual is that she is willing to allow for bag customization. The downside is lower production capacity per time.

I think this is the better choice for you, in the end you wanted your experience in your own custom bag to be "available" for others and you will indeed give us this. I see it as an advantage for you that you aren't responsible for the sales directly, as this can be daunting and frustrating when something goes wrong or is unexpected. I'm still looking forward towards the final product and I'll probably get one.

Even though there are apparently strange people like me out there that prefer the look of leather, I most definitely do not prefer the price tag and maintenance work that comes along with it. I think the material choice was a good one.

Will this bag for sure fit the M1 rev 2?

Me too! And please let us know as soon as the order page is ready, thanks!

Will this bag for sure fit the M1 rev 2?

More than likely, yes.. but seeing as the v2 changes haven't been finalized, less put into production, it is impossible to say for sure. Necere did mention his desire to make current products that are compatible with the v1 also compatible with the v2. Think he was mostly referring to things like Adamantium's FrozenQ reservoir, but he is also aware of this project as well. I'm assuming any changes to the M1's physical dimension, if any, will be incredibly slight and really shouldn't change fitment with this bag (pretty sure some wiggle room was added to the interior of the bag so that we could reach our paws inside to grab the M1).

But things change, and maybe Necere will decide to use 50mm tall feet or something :D

If I'm not mistaken the M1 v2 dimensions are to be the same so the bag should hold it nicely. A quick question to Necere in the main thread would tell us if there are size changes.

It might be interesting to merge the current design with some elements of 5.11 tactical bags.

From what I read, 5.11 is used by law enforcement, I assume the quality is >= decent.

I will reach out to 5.11 factory and your seamstress :)

An initial limited production run is now available for purchase. Her upcoming schedule of projects is heavily booked, so I cannot say if any more of these will be offered or not, beyond this initial listing. It looks like she chose to post bags at two price points, rather than list options with prices. She wants to emphasize that these bags are individually made and customizable. So, if you want particular label placement, no label, strips of velcro, a heavier zipper, etc etc, be sure to ask through the order page.

To everyone's satisfaction, it sounds like there are gears in motion to eventually move bag production under Wahaha360's command and to a larger production house.

In any case, for those who want something customizable or just want it as soon as possible, here are the links.
Esty Listing - Basic Bag
il_570xN.586872054_oddw.jpg

Esty Listing - Deluxe Bag
il_570xN.587015225_cncx.jpg

Last edited:
From the looks with the male "model" (see Deluxe Bag, is that you charww?), the bag is either way too big than I had imagined, or the dude is tiny! Now I'm on the fence. Could we have a picture of the M1 next to the case?

I'm really glad to see that delivery is estimated at 3-4 weeks. College gets done in 5 weeks, so I won't have to worry about how I'm going to go about moving my rig around. Also that the deluxe squeezes under the 45 linear inch limit for carry on bags. I was worried I wouldn't get to have the extra pockets if I wanted it in an overhead compartment. Not that I'm planing on fragging from 40,000 feet, but it's nice to know I won't have to check it.

From the looks with the male "model" (see Deluxe Bag, is that you charww?), the bag is either way too big than I had imagined, or the dude is tiny! Now I'm on the fence. Could we have a picture of the M1 next to the case?

Isn't post #105 what you are looking for? It is basically the size of the M1 with 1in padding all the way around plus the pockets.

LOL, that is not me. :) He's super cute though, eh?

Yes, she will post pictures with the computer. I just drove up there this morning, so she could take the pictures. It was my first chance to see the final customer-ready bags. Gorgeous. It's really well sized, I think you'll see, once you have the comparison pic. The exterior dimensions *are* bigger, but that's a lot of padding that we requested.

Isn't post #105 what you are looking for? It is basically the size of the M1 with 1in padding all the way around plus the pockets.

Yes, since post #105 the size is actually very slightly smaller (by about 1cm internally). The exterior pockets on the basic bag are slighter larger than in #105, to be more functional. The deluxe bag has huge pockets on the narrow-side...so perhaps that makes it look bigger.

I really look forward to someone other than me having the opportunity to see these beautiful bags in person. I'm requesting mine to be made out of the lighter weight supplex nylon exterior fabric that I prefer. Can't wait.

Alright, charww, we need a picture of you with the bag. :)

And maybe another picture of the case next to the box the ncase came with. I have a modification guide to add a strap and padding to the cardboard box on the cheap.

I will likely be ordering the standard with optional straps.

Okay, so I'm thinking about requesting a custom order, if this is possible..

Large front pocket with buckle straps (like deluxe), 1 small side pocket (but with button or velcro flap, like front of basic), and large zipper (all other pockets can be like basic). No shoulder strap, no feet, no large side pockets. Label on large pocket.

Should I place an order on the basic or the deluxe version to request customizations like these?

Well, I can't speak authoritatively for her, but yes, AFD, I'd guess those requests are fine. I'm requesting flat flaps (vs cargo style flaps) on my small side pockets, as well.

Without the big cargo pockets or big flaps or shoulder strap or feet, I'd guess the basic model for you? She will reply, I'm sure, with specifics. I'm uncertain how much the larger (#8) zipper adds to construction. You can always inquire directly with her and she will let you know which price point fits.

She sent me these packed-bag pictures from this morning to post to the forum. They will eventually get onto Etsy as well, but that may take longer to update. There *will* also be pictures soon showing the computer inside the bag, but they aren't available quite yet. We took those this morning too.

The "Deluxe" model next to my wee NCASE. I love my NCASE so much.
20ppvko.jpg

The "Deluxe" model bag with fully packed pockets. Everything we put in the bag all at one time is shown below it. The cargo pockets are quite large and can fit War & Peace, as AFD joked. This pic with the huge coffee-table book also nicely shows the rear straps option - which originally was Phuncz's idea for holding an extra-wide and long keyboard. The criss-cross elastic on top of the lid is shown holding an 8 1/4" wide keyboard, plus a long size keyboard. Besides 3 keyboards of varying sizes and a huge book, we also loaded in it: ethernet cord, power cord, webcam, external speakers, headphones, external DVD player, kindle and mouse.
wi4ln6.jpg

The "Basic" model bag with fully packed pockets. You can see that while it still holds an awful lot, it doesn't hold quite the enormous amount that the deluxe model does. We still fit: 3 keyboards of varying size, power cord, headphones, external DVD player, kindle and mouse.
2zxtoua.jpg

Last edited:
So incredibly cool ! You should be proud of the achievement charww, you made this possible !

Is the amount of case padding on the basic as thick as on the deluxe? I ask since there is a pic of the deluxe that is opened and I can see the padding, but not sure on the basic. Thanks!

Back