NCASE M1 Softshell Carry Bag for community

So I sent her a message on Etsy to inform her I wanted the standard with a shoulder strap. She informed me that she needed to add an options drop down field. It is now live, so you should be able to customize your bag with the added drop down fields.

This might be a good time to update the first post with all relevant info in the same style as the original M1 thread.

Is the amount of case padding on the basic as thick as on the deluxe? I ask since there is a pic of the deluxe that is opened and I can see the padding, but not sure on the basic. Thanks!

Yes, it has the same amount of padding.

This might be a good time to update the first post with all relevant info in the same style as the original M1 thread.

Good suggestion, I'll look into doing that. Edit: Done. Bag specs are listed there too.

Last edited:
It is now live, so you should be able to customize your bag with the added drop down fields.

Needs about 2 or 3 more drop-down fields so you can add more than one option.

So incredibly cool ! You should be proud of the achievement charww, you made this possible !

Hear, hear! You and the pro did a great job of realizing your idea and making this happen.. I still don't really need a bag for my M1, but will buy one anyway (trying to hold off to give those that truly need one a chance to get theirs quicker). Thank you both for your efforts! ;)

I'm sure if you message her she will add separate drop down fields. She responded to my inquiry in minutes.

I measured the internal length at 38.25cm. Will that fit your reservoirs?

Inner: approx. 13.625" x 6.3" x 10.5" (35cm x 16cm x 26cm)

Umm.. how did we lose 1.3" of interior space?

Just wondering if there's still enough room for an external reservoir, or in my case, external antennas (that are a major pain in the ass to remove).

NCASE M1 is 13.307", inner bag is now 13.625", leaving 0.318" of free space? Not sure what Adamantium's M1 reservoir is in depth, but my antennas protrude about 1.125"

So, if this 0.318" is correct, then I should do the $10 custom option for a 14.5" interior bag??

Umm.. how did we lose 1.3" of interior space?...
So, if this 0.318" is correct, then I should do the $10 custom option for a 14.5" interior bag??

I don't think we did, and no you probably shouldn't.
Longer answer about length...

On post #105, I measured the internal length at 38.25cm (15 inches)
There was concern that the fit should be more snug. When I asked what was needed for the M1+ Reservoir, I was told that if the PCI bracket fin on the back fit, the res would fit, and that the total length needed was 36.8cm (14.5 inches). So, I asked her to reduce the overall length by 1.25cm to a total of 37cm (14.55 inches). Measuring the internal space is not exact because the ½ of batting on each side is puffy and squishy. It is not like measuring a hard surface. When the pictures showing the computer in the bag become available, you’ll see that the fin/bracket fits no problem, but it is a comfortably snug fit now.

So, if you need 14.5 inches for your antennas, it *should* fit. But just to be sure and safe, I will ask her to reconfirm the internal measurements, being more exact with the puffiness. I will also ask if the pictures will be available soon, so you can get a better sense of it.

Alright, I can shed some light on this. The PCI retaining tab extends 10mm from the back of the case. I don't have a physical copy of the res, but I do have a CAD model of it Adamantium sent me during development, and it measures ~40mm thick. I know there are some discrepancies from the early version of the res and the later production version, wherein some dimensions were increased, but I don't know if thickness was one of them. Perhaps someone with the res can chime in. Either way, the case+res will need at least 368mm (~14.5"). So yeah, if you have the res, you'll most definitely want to go with the larger version.

So, if you need 14.5 inches for your antennas, it *should* fit. But just to be sure and safe, I will ask her to reconfirm the internal measurements, being more exact with the puffiness. I will also ask if the pictures will be available soon, so you can get a better sense of it.

Much thanks! Having trouble eyeballing my measurements, but I keep coming up with just a skosh over 14" from front cover to antenna (def past the PCI, but under 14.5"). So I think I might be okay.. maybe? Worse-case scenario, I could sacrifice the 5GHz band and switch to lower profile antennas (might save another 1/4").

Perhaps if she could just define what the interior length is with both sides of the padding squished and then unsquished (and then define the puffiness, both quantitatively and qualitatively.. lol, j/k). A top-down picture with the M1 inside might also be helpful.

And thanks for the info Necere! There is only 1 interior size for either version bag (with a custom option to change a dimension as needed). We just need to figure out if the 14.5" needed will fit inside 13.6" (squishyness of the padding / bag of holding factor ) :D

When I ordered mine two days ago, I gave Elizabeth the thickness of the reservoir and asked about fit. She indicated that the case would need to be longer due to the tight fit without it. So if you are planning a bag with a reservoir you will need a longer bag. The reservoir is approximately 1.625in thick counting the 3/8in acrylic cover. The reservoir however mounts a little bit recessed on the back of the case, so overall I estimated that we need to increase the length by 1.5in I don't mind a little looseness in the bag since I will need room for hands on both ends to pull it out. I don't want to be swinging the bag round trying to get it to let go of the machine.

Although I have ordered already I am working with her on the following customizations to my bag. She is very responsive.

Longer length
Heavy duty zipper.
Possibly zippers on the cargo pockets to keep things in.
Dark red lining.

Hopefully the extra cost won't be too much.

Thanks for your patience everyone, while we figured this out. The dimensions posted on Etsy are accurate. It will not fit the reservoir. There is less than an inch of compression ease and that ease is needed for lifting the computer in and out.

It’s a damned good thing we remeasured the bag. It *did* actually lose over an inch in length since the prototype. I am shamefaced that I didn’t double check the measurements when I got hands on with the bag yesterday. I won’t waste time with excuses or explanations. Instead, I will simply apologize and move straight onto solutions. Thank you, AFD, for raising the question and to Necere for clarifying the length needed.

Here are the solutions that have been agreed upon. In the end, it actually leads to a better fitting bag for everyone, I think:

1. The current bag offering on Etsy is intended for the M1, only. It will not fit the reservoir. The internal length of this bag is 13.625 inches, uncompressed. There is less than an inch of compression ease from the batting, and that is required for lifting the bag in and out. See photos below demonstrating fit.

2. A new offering will be added to Etsy at the same prices for a longer version of the bag, intended for the M1 + reservoir. The internal length of this bag will be 14.75 inches, uncompressed. The external length will, of course, also increase accordingly. Edit: Now I see Adamantium's measurement that the reservoir needs the original 15inch length. That would certainly save drafting time.

If you have already placed your order, and you have a reservoir, you should please add a comment to your existing order requesting the longer version of the bag.

Pictures of the current bag, 13.625 inches. As you can see, the sides are designed to flex for lifting the computer.
a1lv1g.jpg

Last edited:
2. A new offering will be added to Etsy at the same prices for a longer version of the bag, intended for the M1 + reservoir. The internal length of this bag will be 14.75 inches, uncompressed. The external length will, of course, also increase accordingly. Edit: Now I see Adamantium's measurement that the reservoir needs the original 15inch length. That would certainly save drafting time.

Very good :)

Pictures of the current bag, 13.625 inches. As you can see, the sides are designed to flex for lifting the computer.
a1lv1g.jpg

If the bag is tight at 13.625in and we add 1.5in for the reservoir, shouldn't the longer bag be 15.125in rather than 14.75in? Is there some other consideration I am not aware of?

Edit: I now see chaww's edit to my previous post :). Yea 15.125in would be great and 15in will still work.

Is this the "Cargo pockets?" That parallel strap on the back?
il_570xN.586907578_37nw.jpg

I like how slim the basic looks with the flap covers on the side pocket, and not the buckles on the Deluxe. But adding the strap, feet, and flaps on short pockets, it would be just 10 dollars cheaper than the Deluxe. When I was comparing the two models, I just wanted to figure out what this Cargo Pocket is.

After adding the options, I might as well order the Deluxe... I thought the shoulder strap option was free...

It looks as though there's enough space on top of the case to put a keyboard.

Do you mean on top of the bag? Yes. If you mean inside the bag with the computer - I wouldn't.

Is this the "Cargo pockets?" That parallel strap on the back?
il_570xN.586907578_37nw.jpg

That is not a pocket at all. The default configuration of the deluxe model comes with 3 pockets and on the rear it has cinch straps for carrying wide and long items.Those are demonstrated holding a big coffee-table book in the picture below. This is the No-Charge item that can be added to the Basic model (replacing a rear pocket).
2cenjnd.jpg

After adding the options, I might as well order the Deluxe... I thought the shoulder strap option was free...
The hardware and extra webbing for the shoulder strap is expensive. That's a lot of webbing (running under the entire length of the bag, wrap around, just like the duffel handles do) and nice metal hardware, so she is unfortunately not able to offer the shoulder strap for free. Maybe you were thinking of the rear cinch-straps that can replace the rear pocket for no charge (see picture above)?

Last edited:
I went ahead and PM's about the following options just to make sure, I'm hoping a customization of this type is possible as this is exactly as I need it. :) Doing halfsies has always been a thing of mine. xD

Label:
  • Long Side Flap

Options:
  • Straps on back (Free replacement)
  • Rubber Feet (+$10)
  • 1 Short Pocket Flap (+$2.50?)
  • Replace 1 Small Pocket with Cargo (+$7.50?)

I am thinking $110 but just want to make sure based on how you need to calculate things.

Just got an email saying my bag has shipped. I didn't ask for any extra customizations, and there happened to be one already made with what I wanted. Very excited that I'll be able to move my M1 out of the dorm room in style.

Last night I came across some UBS companion screens that looked interesting, specifically the HP U160. It's about an inch and a half too wide to fit in the main pocket with the M1 itself, but I'm curious if it would be able to be placed in the side cargo pocket, or if it would need to be strapped onto the side of the bag. Listed dimensions are "Unpacked w/cover: 37,7 x 2,6 x 27,85 cm (14.84 x 1.02 x 10.96 in)"

For anyone else who might be looking at this kind of device, I'd suggest the ASUS MB168B+ as it comes with a full HD panel, whereas the HP is only regular HD. The reason I'm leaning toward the HP is because, to borrow terminology from Lenono's Yoga, the stand puts it into "tent" mode, whereas the ASUS works in "stand" mode. If I'm using a tiny screen like this, most likely real estate for its footprint would be minimal. Tent mode gives more room for an external keyboard, mouse, or other devices than stand mode.

Just got an email saying my bag has shipped. I didn't ask for any extra customizations, and there happened to be one already made with what I wanted. Very excited that I'll be able to move my M1 out of the dorm room in style.

Last night I came across some UBS companion screens that looked interesting, specifically the HP U160. It's about an inch and a half too wide to fit in the main pocket with the M1 itself, but I'm curious if it would be able to be placed in the side cargo pocket, or if it would need to be strapped onto the side of the bag. Listed dimensions are "Unpacked w/cover: 37,7 x 2,6 x 27,85 cm (14.84 x 1.02 x 10.96 in)"

For anyone else who might be looking at this kind of device, I'd suggest the ASUS MB168B+ as it comes with a full HD panel, whereas the HP is only regular HD. The reason I'm leaning toward the HP is because, to borrow terminology from Lenono's Yoga, the stand puts it into "tent" mode, whereas the ASUS works in "stand" mode. If I'm using a tiny screen like this, most likely real estate for its footprint would be minimal. Tent mode gives more room for an external keyboard, mouse, or other devices than stand mode.
I have a USB3 video converter to use with a regular HDMI monitor with another HDMI/DVI converter. Only way for me to do dual external screens with my Surface Pro.

Last night I came across some UBS companion screens that looked interesting, specifically the HP U160.

You might already know this, but current screens running off USB all require drivers to run, which means the screen only works when windows loads up, which means you can't access the bios or troubleshoot your PC with it. It also probably won't work with Linux (but I guess nobody is using this).

Just got an email saying my bag has shipped. ...

Nice find on the monitor. I could be interested in something like that, myself. Sounds like it might probably fit in the front long-side pocket? I suspect it is too tall (14.8 inches) and wide (10.96 inches) for the narrow-side pockets. I don't have access to the finished bags, or I would measure more exactly for you.

Grats on the bag shipping so quickly. Let us know what you think of it, once you get it. I know it's not possible to please everyone, but I hope it will work well for you.

I'm really enjoying the customization specs that people are posting. Personally, I'd love to see pics of custom bags posted, once received, and hear how folks like their bags. Particularly, I want to see Adamantium's red lining. :) That was inspired. After seeing that, I decided to splurge on a dark grey lining, if possible.

After receiving a message back from the lady she confirmed that the bag will be up for at least 2 weeks as that is when I will be able to order mine. I will certainly post pictures of how I have mine customized. I'm getting excited already thinking about ordering it! :D

the screen only works when windows loads up, which means you can't access the bios or troubleshoot your PC with it.

I wouldn't be using this as a main screen, I'm not enough of a sadist to restrict myself to a 1366x768 full time. It would be more for travel; say going to visit friends for a weekend, or hit up a lan party. Hopefully everything would be working fine, and I could go that amount of time without needing to get my hands dirty.

I won't be able to post pictures of it until mid-May, but if no one else has taken any pictures by then I'll be happy to upload some of my own and show off what kind of EDC it handles.

Hi Guys,
I really like the design of this case and will hopefully be purchasing one soon if i am able to pre-order a NCASE which brings me to the nature of my first question, Will these be available after/during the new campaign?

Another question I have is airports, has anyone ever taken a NCASE on a plane as hand luggage, did you have a problem with security or any other problems? did you have water cooling and drain it first or was it closed loop etc?

Hi Guys,
I really like the design of this case and will hopefully be purchasing one soon if i am able to pre-order a NCASE which brings me to the nature of my first question, Will these be available after/during the new campaign?

Another question I have is airports, has anyone ever taken a NCASE on a plane as hand luggage, did you have a problem with security or any other problems? did you have water cooling and drain it first or was it closed loop etc?

I plan on taking mine on a plane just as you are asking around the middle of July. The case itself is small enough to be allowed as a carry on, but as for the closed water loop I am unsure. I know airports are pretty strict when it comes to water now, but I think as long as you don't mention to them that there is water in it and tell them it is just a computer they will let it through. I am pretty sure they don't have a 'water detecting machine' to scan it with and if so I don't know what it could do to it if there are any magnetic's in it. Lol

I plan on taking mine on a plane just as you are asking around the middle of July. The case itself is small enough to be allowed as a carry on, but as for the closed water loop I am unsure. I know airports are pretty strict when it comes to water now, but I think as long as you don't mention to them that there is water in it and tell them it is just a computer they will let it through. I am pretty sure they don't have a 'water detecting machine' to scan it with and if so I don't know what it could do to it if there are any magnetic's in it. Lol

Unless they open it up and have you show them whats inside. Then they may get nervous about it. :D

Will these be available after/during the new campaign?

I just checked in with Liz and she says she will continue to offer the bags as long as there is interest. If the order queue starts to get very full, the time to delivery will increase.

Yeah, so I'm going to order mine as soon as the second batch is confirmed so that hopefully there won't be a huge queue :)

Yeah, so I'm going to order mine as soon as the second batch is confirmed so that hopefully there won't be a huge queue :)

I second this. And, having just discovered this thread, I am as excited as I am (frankly) impressed that these bags even exist! Bug kidos to charww and Liz both for seeing this through :D

And, having just discovered this thread, I am as excited as I am (frankly) impressed that these bags even exist! Bug kidos to charww and Liz both for seeing this through :D

Hmm, do you think many folks are unaware?

And thanks for the kudos. I'm looking forward to hearing folks opinions once received.

I have some updated information to pass along:

The Longer bag is available to order on Etsy now. Links are below (also updated the first post of this thread). Be careful to select the correct product when ordering. The photos are still the same for all the bag listings, but be aware that a bag sized for a Hadron computer has also made its way onto the list of products. Not too surprising that a few other SFF folks would be looking for solutions to porting their rigs. :)
Deluxe carry bag for M1 with reservoir
Basic carry bag for M1 with reservoir

Liz also reports that nearly all the materials have arrived for the first production run of bags. She expects to begin construction and shipping next week. She anticipates production at approximately five bags per week. There are approximately 5 bags still available for order in this first set, but the listings will stay up after those sell out. It sounds like there may be a slight production delay for her to order more materials. She sounds pleased with us as a group of customers (enthusiastic and communicative), and looks forward to hearing feedback on the bags. So, good job, us.

Customizations I asked for for the deluxe bag:

Zippers instead of buckles on all three pockets.
Pocket depth reduced/increased to 5cm on all pockets according to Liz's suggestion because of zippers.
No buckles/strap on back long side and no elastic strap on top - I don't want them to get caught on something.
Extra layer of padding on back long side - extra cushion for when the bag smash against myself if I carry it with the sling.

Extra layer of padding on back long side
That's a very good idea, I will probably get something similar when I order mine, I also love the idea of a slightly differant coloured inside

The Longer bag is available to order on Etsy now. Links are below (also updated the first post of this thread).

Thanks Char! Just sent Liz a message asking about the particular options I wanted.

She sounds pleased with us as a group of customers (enthusiastic and communicative), and looks forward to hearing feedback on the bags. So, good job, us.

Glad to hear! I'm really hopeful that your project is successful enough to make it worth her while for doing all this for us (ie, lots of orders streaming in from v1 and v2 buyers, but nothing that makes her crazy).

And yes, us folks at [H] are awesome! :D

After seeing that, I decided to splurge on a dark grey lining, if possible.

Hey Char, Liz had some extra of the dark grey interior fabric, so I asked for that on my order.. just wanted to check and make sure that was okay with you.

But if you don't wanna be twinsies, I can always go with the black or have her order something in a tan instead :)

Hmm, do you think many folks are unaware?

And thanks for the kudos. I'm looking forward to hearing folks opinions once received.

charww, I only inadvertently found this thread (and the bag) because of a casual reference in one of the official M1 threads (either the original or the newer improvements/revisions thread, I forget which tbh). But I also only read up on this thread in the past week or so, so I don't know if my ignorance is indicative of the awareness of most :rolleyes:

Customizations I asked for for the deluxe bag: Zippers instead of buckles on all three pockets.

Nice! I really look forward to seeing how the zippered pockets turn out for you and Adamantium.

charww, I only inadvertently found this thread (and the bag) because of a casual reference in one of the official M1 threads...
... I'm really hopeful that your project is successful enough to make it worth her while for doing all this for us (ie, lots of orders streaming in from v1 and v2 buyers, but nothing that makes her crazy).

Thanks for letting us know, Phoenix, and I agree, AFD. I asked Waha360 if he thought it appropriate to send a message to their NCASE owners list, as that seems the best way to let the owners know about this bag opportunity. And certainly any extra orders for Liz seems the best way to thank her for her hard work.

Hey Char, Liz had some extra of the dark grey interior fabric, so I asked for that on my order.. just wanted to check and make sure that was okay with you.

Totally cool with me :)

Everyone else is doing it... so my requested customizations are:

Taslan (supplex) nylon exterior fabric - very lightweight and fluid which allows...
Flat elastic sewn in to top hem of pockets to gather them taut against bag, also for...
6cm deep cargo pockets on narrow sides with flat/straight flaps and standard closures
dark grey lining
standard ballistic nylon exterior fabric used on bottom of bag only.
(maybe 1/4" batting between exterior fabric and plastic sheet on sides with pockets because my exterior fabric is so thin, if Liz approves that change)

charww, I only inadvertently found this thread (and the bag) because of a casual reference in one of the official M1 threads...

Thanks for letting us know, Phoenix, and I agree, AFD. I asked Waha360 if he thought it appropriate to send a message to their NCASE owners list, as that seems the best way to let the owners know about this bag opportunity. And certainly any extra orders for Liz seems the best way to thank her for her hard work. :)

No worries! And for reference, AFD's post here in the improvements thread is what led me to discover the bag. So I'd actually say it's probably worthwhile to be a tad proactive about letting people know about them.

(Side note: Isn't it crazy that a community-driven project like the M1 now has accessories, including a custom bag and custom reservoir? Most commercially-available cases don't have either!)

Back