NCASE M1 Softshell Carry Bag for community

Corrected Schedule
  • Last week of Jan: Looked at sample fabric swatches and made choices
  • End of Jan: “TEST BAG” made from scrap, similar-weight fabric while full lengths of chosen fabrics are shipped. This is just a mock-up meant to test the pattern for fit etc.
  • Later this week: Chosen fabrics should arrive.
  • Early Feb (Next week?): Actual real "SAMPLE BAG" made to specs with correct fabric.

Apologies for my previous misunderstanding. I thought the Sample Bag was this week. I wondered how the fabric would arrive so quickly. It makes more sense that this week’s bag is just a draft from cheaper mats to test the fit of the pattern. I will hopefully be putting all my gear (plus a regular keyboard) into the Test Bag tomorrow or Tuesday. She did a strength test on the Test Bag already and says it easily supports at least 50lbs.

I know folks are as eager as I am to see the Sample Bag, but it looks like one more week of waiting for that. Again, sorry, that was my fault in understanding. Am I correct that no one really cares to see pics of the Test Bag, as it won’t be in a final pretty-pretty form?

Edit: Look at me, I leveled. [H]Lite. :)

I think no one would mind seeing pics but if you don't feel like doing them, then don't.

Yeah, I don't mind looking at a not "pretty-pretty" mock up, but I can wait for protobag #2

And congrats on losing n00bie status.. you're half-way to Limp Gawd! :)

Hello,

I am definitely interested in this bag. $75-$100 sounds very reasonable considering the great deal of intricacy going into this bag. Overall I expect to see a wonderful protective and stylish bag that we all will love and enjoy. I like all the ideas that are being thrown out as well. Add another one to the list, in fact, you may want to add a Google spreadsheet pre-order form where people are able to sign up, if that hasn't been made as of yet. :)

Re: the Test Bag
The padding is superb. I felt like I was putting my Wee M1 into a cushy nest within a protective shell. A while back, updawg asked about size. It is about an inch+ larger than my current bag in all directions - and that is entirely due to padding. But it didn’t look bulky. It has a clean aesthetic, similar to the bag I made. I think the final bag will look very smart. The bag hung very comfortably when held with the shoulder strap or handles..so no, not bulky or awkward at all. It was surprisingly lighter than expected, weighing approx 3.75lbs. Heavier than my current bag, that is still lighter than my old laptop bag which was a dense monster of 7lbs and bodes well for shipping costs, which increase rapidly with weight.

Re: Shipping:
When I do my own research, the best I can come up with is USPS. Assuming a max package weight of 5lbs (which I hope will be accurate), factor in packing materials and insurance, my best guess is $20ish within the US and $40-60ish international. Shipping costs are expensive, no doubt. It is just the unfortunate truth of the day. It was frustrating to research. She runs a small business and mostly works with local clients, so doesn’t have any mega-shipping method in place. Like us, I’m sure she’d prefer that shipping was less expensive. I know she’ll be fair and will charge the actual cost of shipping. If anyone has better suggestions, do speak up.

I opted not to take pictures of the Test Bag since it was night, with bad lighting, I was tired, and we only have a few more days to wait until the Sample Bag is done. She estimates the 12th, so I plan to get pics and hopefully a video up next Friday. So far, she has been exemplary at meeting her estimated dates. I know she’d like to have the ordering mechanism in place very soon after the Sample Bag is done. She is leaning towards using Indiegogo, since it provides that mechanism ready-to-go, though it charges a 7% fee, so we can expect that to be factored in as well.

She is likely to offer either an initial limited production run, or will sell the bags in limited batches that can be shipped out weekly based on production capacity.

Oh, and here’s a list of peripherals I easily fit into the bag during the test run:
External DVD
External Speakers
Mouse
2 Keyboards (one 10-keyless, one standard)
Batteries
Kindle
Headphones
Webcam
Power & HDMI cords
Am I forgetting anything?
(and M1, of course) :)

I'm curious if there is enough space to fit the Compact Splash, considering it's marginally bigger than the M1.

Dimensions - 290mm (H) x 170mm (W) x 310mm (D)

I'm curious if there is enough space to fit the Compact Splash, considering it's marginally bigger than the M1.

Dimensions - 290mm (H) x 170mm (W) x 310mm (D)

hmm. maybe? But I think the 5cm difference in height makes it unlikely. I think your best option is to contact the The Professional during the order process to see if a slightly different size is possible.

I don't know if going through indiegogo means you still need an estimate on orders, but if you do, you can mark me down. This bag seems like it can fit my entire digital life minus a monitor.

Sounds like I might be too late to offer ideas, I wasn't paying enough attention to realize you were designing another custom bag for the M1. I'm interested in see your new design.

I have been carrying multiple computers on a daily basis to and from work for six years. My best bag has been a Shuttle PF60, which has been a fantastic bag. Although the M1 will fit the PF60, it is designed for a little wider machine, isn't manufactured anymore, and I still want to carry my older machine.

So several months back before we started talking about bags, I began searching. What I found was that out of all bags out there, padded fishing tackle and tactical range bags seem to have the best combination of features and design. For my M1 I found a good red and black tackle bag from Cabelas. It isn't perfect and doesn't meet all of my expectations, but so far has been a good bag and comes at a good price. The only significant feature it is really missing is padding, so you have to add (make) your own padded insert(s). With padding it fits the M1 nearly perfectly even with the Adamantium/FrozenQ reservoir. It also uses a thinner material than I like. On the positive side, it comes with a transparent zippered compartment in the lid that I used for my wireless keyboard.

Here is a list of features I have come to hope for in a computer carry bag (similar to much that has been posted):

- Durable material such as 1050 denier ballistic nylon or comparable (large weave, smooth fiber that doesn't get fuzzy with wear, one of the strongest materials out there that won't tear at the handle connections after years of use),
- Soft padded cloth interior with plastic padding (provides additional water/snow protection and ensures the bag retains its shape while loading and unloading),
- Top load, full width, full length lid not attached to carry handles (allows for the machine to be inserted and removed without having to hold the bag open, and if you forget to zip it closed, the machine doesn't fall out),
- Waterproof hard bottom (allows you to set the machine down in the rain, on the snow, or on the rocks without damaging the machine inside, prevents the bag from wearing on the bottom and having your machine fall out one day, makes the bag retain its shape when the bag is lifted, and base in which to securely attach the bottom straps),
- Wrap around handles (handles wrap around the bottom of the bag to support the weight without tearing the handles from the bag),
- Padded handle that joins the two wrap around handles together on top (this type of handle allows the bag to be carried without the machine falling out even if the lid has not been zipped shut),
- Two heavy duty zippers (you will use these over and over and over again, and you don't want them sticking, getting snagged, or breaking)
- Padded compartments for wireless keyboard in lid or side, pockets on sides for mouse, cables, tools, storage drives, speakers, and other accessories.

A note on the padding - a thin dense soft plastic material is what is typically used in backpacks and padded bags - probably what you have called corrugated plastic. Maybe a very dense, almost rubber like closed-cell foam would also work, but common foam is too soft to be effective until it is too thick (basically turns the bag into a pillow). The soft plastic padding used in bags and backpacks bends in any direction and is not so rigid that it feels like a board. Covered with a soft cloth with a velvet-like nap, it works great and provides ample protection without the thickness.

I'm excite to see how it turns out.

So, just a quick reply to Adamantium's excellent suggestions, before I head out to work. It seems that most of what you are thinking has been previously discussed.

Durable material such as 1050 denier ballistic nylon or comparable - Yes, coated so waterproof.
Soft padded cloth interior with plastic padding - Yes
Top load, full width, full length lid not attached to carry handles -Yes
Waterproof hard bottom - Yes waterproof, but we hadn't planned a hard bottom, though the rigid layer underneath is hard.
Wrap around handles - Yes, and the webbing for the shoulder strap runs under the entire length of the bag - a feature you don't see in many bags, because we are just that protective. :)
Padded handle that joins the two wrap around handles together on top - Yes
Two heavy duty zippers - Yes. Do you mean one two-way zipper? We have planned a single zipper with two zipper pulls - called a dual zipper or two-way zipper.
Padded compartments - We planned unpadded pockets on the exterior. There is a protective layer between the interior central case and the exterior pockets, but I wouldn't describe the pockets as padded themselves.

Re: padding - we have planned 1/2" closed cell foam as the core padding material, an inner layer of batting for extra squishiness, with an outer shell of corrugated plastic.

-Edited when I was less rushed to be hopefully more comprehensible and corrected my flawed understanding of the rigid layer

Last edited:
Do people prefer the bag feel more like a hard-shell, under the exterior fabric, or do they want it to be a little bendy? Thanks!

Disregard this question. I just spoke with The Professional and she explained the rigid layer, which will be not strictly rigid nor too bendy, but a balance of the two. She'll write up some tech specs and explanation for us soon which will be much better than I can do. As it happens, her training and degree are in mechanical engineering and she worked R&D in that field before starting her own business, so she clearly understands how the materials function in this bag better than I do.

I just read about this in the Ncase main thread; count me in for one

Just curious..

Do you happen to know what capacity she can run at? Like if we get 50 orders, will it take say 1 week per bag or can she do several in that time?

Just wondering, depending on order volume, if we'll be looking at a month or 2 to get them, or close to a year to complete orders.

Just wondering, depending on order volume, if we'll be looking at a month or 2 to get them, or close to a year to complete orders.

oh gods, no, not a year. If we manage to put in 50 orders, I would guess that would be done in a few months after the pre-order time period is over. Everything seems to really hinge on the Sample Bag, after which everything else falls into place and becomes clear: production capacity, shipping, pricing, etc.

Definetly interested, but the price in the end (+shipping) will be the deciding factor.
No I just put my M1 into the original packaging : /

oh gods, no, not a year. If we manage to put in 50 orders, I would guess that would be done in a few months after the pre-order time period is over. Everything seems to really hinge on the Sample Bag, after which everything else falls into place and becomes clear: production capacity, shipping, pricing, etc.

Sounds good, thanks!

Hopefully the demand is a manageable amount.. I just noticed tonight that this thread is now the 3rd result in Google for "ncase" search (not sure why I haven't bookmarked [H] yet.. everyday I search "ncase" to get to the main thread and get lost from there, lol =)

Definetly interested, but the price in the end (+shipping) will be the deciding factor.
No I just put my M1 into the original packaging : /

That's completely understandable. Shipping cost within the US seems reasonable, but I worry about the international shipping costs. I've been trying to research better options there, without much luck.

Waterproof hard bottom - Yes waterproof, but we hadn't planned a hard bottom, though the rigid layer underneath is hard.

Two heavy duty zippers - Yes. Do you mean one two-way zipper? We have planned a single zipper with two zipper pulls - called a dual zipper or two-way zipper.

Padded compartments - We planned unpadded pockets on the exterior. There is a protective layer between the interior central case and the exterior pockets, but I wouldn't describe the pockets as padded themselves.

Sounds good. Yes I meant a two-way zipper (~#8 nylon coil non-separating). Too bad there's no hard bottom. I can't find a supplier, maybe someone else can. Maybe it doesn't matter. We can probably attach rubber feet through the rigid base to raise it off the ground. Padding between pockets and compartment is sufficient. I just don't want tools or other items rubbing on the case inside. Sounds like it will be very padded :)

Yes I meant a two-way zipper (~#8 nylon coil non-separating).

She chose a #5 nylon two-way zipper, which is marginally lighter weight than the #8. She said that she prefers the #5 given the size and aesthetic of the bag. I have to guess that as a group it also keeps the price in our desired range, since my google-fu tells me it is about 1/3 the price of a #8. That said, if you decide to buy a bag and have your heart set on a #8 zipper, she is intending to entertain requests and provide quotes for customizations of individual bags.

Too bad there's no hard bottom. I can't find a supplier, maybe someone else can. Maybe it doesn't matter. We can probably attach rubber feet through the rigid base to raise it off the ground.

This (a rubberized bottom and/or feet) is likely to be offered as an optional upgrade feature. Turns out that she'd already been thinking about that and wanted to offer it, so when she saw your post, she was keen. That said, we (the participants of this thread) are trying to keep the cost of the standard bag reasonable. My personal opinion is we shouldn't request it as a standard feature that everyone has to pay for when the exterior fabric is already durable and waterproof. Does that make sense?

I'd also prefer a #8 zipper and a rubberized bottom or something similar (not too sure about rubber feet though).

#5 just seems kinda dinky imo (think #5 is the same size found on jeans, and they always seem to break, get stuck and cross-zip).. maybe nylon #5 isn't as bad?

She estimates the 12th, so I plan to get pics and hopefully a video up next Friday.

Unfortunately delivery of the Sample Bag is delayed until Wed Feb 19th. I wish it were otherwise. As soon as I can get my hands on it, I'll post pics, even if all I can get are phone-camera shots.

3 more days!? I want my moneys back :D

Thanks for the updates!

Apologies for the quality, I have -10 when doing anything with a camera and these pictures really don’t do justice to the look of the bag. The bottom of the bag has an extra layer of plastic sheet so those who want to put their bag on rocks and not have it bend - I think you’ll be satisfied. Internal fit is excellent - the long sides flex just enough for me to get my hands around the computer to pick it up. I would still like to make a video to demonstrate such things, but the bag has to go back to the seamstress tomorrow morning. She suggested that the pockets would behave differently in the ballistics nylon (not feel as large), and she is correct. So the exterior pockets and flap closures will be re-worked, so that they can again fit All-The-Gear.

Two side pockets are shown with flap closures, and two sides with open pockets (no closure), one of which is a slim briefcase-style pocket. The shoulder strap will be made from the same 1.5 inch nylon webbing as the handles, but is made from different fabric in the pictures.

This is just a paper printout of the M1 label taped to the bag so that we can judge the size and location.
301zxhj.jpg

So far, the specs look like this, but are still open for discussion:

Padding and reinforcement for all sides, bottom and top:
- 2 layers of cotton batting, totaling 1/4" for cushioning
- 1 layer of 1/2" closed cell foam, typically used in soft shell cases for instruments and other padded bags, provides shock cushioning and impact resistance
- 1 layer of 4mm corrugated plastic sheet providing sharp object protection, crumple zone for sharp impact resistance, and force distribution for localized impact. Bottom has 2 layers of 4mm plastic sheet with baffles running in perpendicular directions.

Features, all bags:
- 1680 dernier coated ballistics nylon exterior: waterproof and durable
- 100% brushed cotton twill lining: soft, durable, and nearly static neutral
- 1600-lb test strength nylon webbing for handles and optional shoulder strap
- Wrap-around duffel-style handles with padded grip and Velcro flap to hold them together
- Top closure: sturdy #5 nylon coil zipper with two pulls, positioned below lip of bag to prevent zipper from hitting/scratching computer case
- Four external open pockets
- Cord elastic with spring clasp on top to hold oversized items like jackets or standard keyboard
- Heavy duty nylon thread and sturdy construction
- High quality woven label with NCASE/M1 logo

Optional upgrade features:
- Pocket flaps on three sides (one long side will have open briefcase-style slim pocket), velcro closures
- High grade Delrin shoulder strap hardware and removable shoulder strap with padded shoulder
- Replace one long-side pocket with elastic straps for carrying oversized items such as a long and wide keyboard
- Rubberized bottom layer (for added waterproofing/wipeability) and/or feet
- Replace #5 nylon coil zipper with #8 nylon coil zipper

Questions:
Do you prefer 4 cargo pockets, or 3 cargo + 1 slim briefcase style pocket?
With the rigid bottom, is a rubberized outside layer enough or do you need to have feet?
I measured the internal length at 38.25cm. Will that fit your reservoirs?
Opinions on label position?

Edit: This bag weight 4.2lbs

Last edited:
OMG, it looks like it's able to withstand a nuclear blast.
What's the difference between cargo and slim briefcase style pockets?

My only complaint is the logo is small and plain. I would prefer it on the longer side and about 3x larger.

Also it looks like the pictured photo has a padded shoulder strap - isn't that an add on?

Besides what I've mentioned I love the looks. I can't wait to order one.

What's the difference between cargo and slim briefcase style pockets?
Cargo pocket is larger and holds more. Brief-case style looks tidy but is slim- it fits a depth of about 5/8 of an inch. Imagine enough space to slide in a file folder of paperwork or an Adesso slimtouch keyboard. I know that last fits, because I have one.

My only complaint is the logo is small and plain. I would prefer it on the longer side and about 3x larger. Also it looks like the pictured photo has a padded shoulder strap - isn't that an add on?

I hope lots of folks give their opinions on label size placement. It's easy to print out mock-ups and take pictures so people can see. Maybe I'll play around with that after work while I still have the bag. Keep in mind larger label will cost more and I'm not sure what the largest label size is, but I'll ask.

Yes, shoulder strap is an optional addon, but she wanted to demonstrate it. Likewise the pocket flaps.

Cargo pocket is larger and holds more. Brief-case style looks tidy but is slim- it fits a depth of about 5/8 of an inch. Imagine enough space to slide in a file folder of paperwork or an Adesso slimtouch keyboard. I know that last fits, because I have one.

I hope lots of folks give their opinions on label size placement. It's easy to print out mock-ups and take pictures so people can see. Maybe I'll play around with that after work while I still have the bag. Keep in mind larger label will cost more and I'm not sure what the largest label size is, but I'll ask.

Yes, shoulder strap is an optional addon, but she wanted to demonstrate it. Likewise the pocket flaps.

Thanks for the quick response. Is not having the patch an option as well? Since the bag is black as well as the patch the slight difference in colors between the two really clash and make it stand out like a sore thumb. I think the bag without any patch would look sharp. I too hope there is more input.

As for my case I am most likely going to add the shoulder strap and the padded flap options.

First off: wow, amazing. It looks very well done !

I like the logo the way it is: small and on the "front". I don't want a huge logo on the side, people don't need to think I'm sponsored by Ncase or something.

I wasn't interested AT ALL but after seeing that proto bag, color me extremely interested. My vote for the label is "no label".

::EDIT::

Any word on pricing yet?

First off: wow, amazing. It looks very well done !

I like the logo the way it is: small and on the "front". I don't want a huge logo on the side, people don't need to think I'm sponsored by Ncase or something.

I just prefer it to not stand out. Dull colors for the font would be nice, not bright white.
But imitating the positions and colors of the logos on the Ncase M1 box is also not a bad idea.

Is not having the patch an option as well? Since the bag is black as well as the patch the slight difference in colors between the two really clash and make it stand out like a sore thumb. I think the bag without any patch would look sharp.

Well, sure, I can't see why it would be a problem to have a label-free option. Keep in mind - the label in the pics looks so shoddy and sticks out because it literally physically sticks out - It's just a piece of paper. :) I'm a little worried people missed that in the text, hence my colorful coloring. But, you are correct that the label will be slightly different from the bag fabric - it will have a smoother texture and possibly a slightly different shade of black.

Labels have to be purchased in lots of 50-100. That's why the actual real fabric label can't be shown in advance, sadly.

Looks really nice!

I like the label the size it's at now in that position. Definitely think doing the NCASE logo in a slightly darker silver or grey (like the cardboard M1 box) would look really sharp and would be a little more subtle.

Prefer rubberized bottom vs feet, if either are an option. And while the open pockets look nicer, I'd really like to have at least 2 pockets with over flaps to protect my gear against the weather (to keep rain off my keyboard and mouse). A slight over flap covering the upper zipper would also look nicer and be little more protected, but probably isn't 100% necessary.

Just wondering.. will the soft inner lining be stitched or glued in certain areas to prevent the entire lining from coming out when we remove the M1? I could see the loose fabric possibly snagging on corners of the M1 and/or external reservoirs and antennas.

Definitely think doing the NCASE logo in a slightly darker silver or grey (like the cardboard M1 box) would look really sharp and would be a little more subtle.

Just wondering.. will the soft inner lining be stitched or glued in certain areas to prevent the entire lining from coming out when we remove the M1?

Yes, good catch. Necere says the logo is PMS 426 on black. 426 actually being fairly dark gray, and I definitely don't want to massacre their logo. So I'll print out some mock labels and take a few more pics when I get home, with the caveat that I only have a normal laser printer and a crappy phone camera atm, so at best it will be an imperfect estimate :/

Re: stitching down the interior lining - I will ask, but guess that the answer is no. May be nigh impossible given the hard plastic insert we want in the sides - it can't be stitched through and I believe the lining is the last bit to be stitched. I hobby sew and I don't even understand the mysterious magical process she is currently using for the lining seams, given that it cannot be flipped inside out in this bag (that's the standard seam sewing process). I didn't have any problem with catching, but I understand your concern.

Last edited:
Looks amazing :D

Guess I have to order one ...

IMHO it looks like the M1 could move quite a lot in that bag though. The M1 reservoir doesn't look that big after all.

2013-12-24132921_zps52e5419d.jpg

Considering there's a bit of space above the top of the M1 and the bag, the Splash may just fit.

Back