NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Finally got my NCase a few days ago after waiting too long because i cheaped out on shipping. I stupidly didn't double check heights on the Phanteks- PH-TC14CS I bought, and found it too tall to use even without the hard drive cage. It'll fit fine with a slim 140mm, any suggestions on good ones?

Finally got my NCase a few days ago after waiting too long because i cheaped out on shipping. I stupidly didn't double check heights on the Phanteks- PH-TC14CS I bought, and found it too tall to use even without the hard drive cage. It'll fit fine with a slim 140mm, any suggestions on good ones?

Your best bet is probably reading and mabe reviving this thread. Bummer about it not fitting.

Just got my SX500-LG and wanted to report what the build is like in an Ncase M1 V3 using a reference GTX 970. Even with the new V3 bracket, I still found the build pretty tight, really had to push up on the power cables to get the card in there. I don't feel like there is any dangerous contortion going on, but it really is tight, I think it would be difficult to fit this in on a V1/V2 SFX bracket. This build also features the new Noctua NH-D9L.

GVnG99Dl.jpg

Just got my SX500-LG and wanted to report what the build is like in an Ncase M1 V3 using a reference GTX 970. Even with the new V3 bracket, I still found the build pretty tight, really had to push up on the power cables to get the card in there. I don't feel like there is any dangerous contortion going on, but it really is tight, I think it would be difficult to fit this in on a V1/V2 SFX bracket. This build also features the new Noctua NH-D9L.
That's a V1/V2 SFX bracket in your pic. Your case is a V3 though, and I can see from your earlier build pics you did have a V3 bracket in there at some point, so I'm guessing you have/had another M1 and inadvertently switched the brackets?

That's a V1/V2 SFX bracket in your pic. Your case is a V3 though, and I can see from your earlier build pics you did have a V3 bracket in there at some point, so I'm guessing you have/had another M1 and inadvertently switched the brackets?

Wow thanks for catching that... No, I actually purchased two M1 V3's in December... so this should be the V3 bracket. Uh oh. I'll check my other M1 later tonight and see what is going on. One build is an HTPC with a TV tuner, the other my main PC.

Wow thanks for catching that... No, I actually purchased two M1 V3's in December... so this should be the V3 bracket. Uh oh. I'll check my other M1 later tonight and see what is going on. One build is an HTPC with a TV tuner, the other my main PC.
Did you order both cases through our website?

Really, guys? I go away for... *checks watch* 4 measly little months, and people start manually adding data to the statistics tab rather than updating the formula to pull in V3 data? You should all be ashamed of yourselves!

I mean, what's so hard about taking
Code:
=SORT(unique(ArrayFormula(unique(transpose(split(concatenate(IFERROR(FILTER({'V1 Buyers'!D4:D};Search("USA";'V1 Buyers'!C4:C))&char(9),(FILTER({'V2 Buyers'!C4:C};Search("USA";'V2 Buyers'!B4:B))&char(9)))),char(9)))))))
removing the extraneous (), fixing the improper usage of IFERROR(), and just adding
Code:
,IFERROR(FILTER({'V3 Buyers'!C3:C};Search("USA";'V3 Buyers'!B3:B)),"")&char(9)
Eh!?

Walk in the p... piece of c... wait, I just spent 30 minutes debugging this stupid thing! Gah!

At least the non-US one was actually straightforward to update...

I'm trying to build in my M1 V3 with a Maximus VII Impact, and I can't for the life of me get the standoffs to lineup with the screw spots, I have to push really hard because of the padding on the I/O shield. Has anyone had to tear off the padding from the I/O shield to get the standoffs to lineup correctly?

I'm trying to build in my M1 V3 with a Maximus VII Impact, and I can't for the life of me get the standoffs to lineup with the screw spots, I have to push really hard because of the padding on the I/O shield. Has anyone had to tear off the padding from the I/O shield to get the standoffs to lineup correctly?
First time I had a friend push/pressure in the direction of the I/O shield while I screwed it in myself.

First time I had a friend push/pressure in the direction of the I/O shield while I screwed it in myself.

I tried to get my sister to help, but I still can't seem to screw them it. The threads refuse to make contact for some reason, and I assumed it's because I can't get them to line up properly.

I had the same issue with the VI board. The padding is too much. I'll likely remove it from the VII build I'm about to start. I don't see the value in it.

I tried to get my sister to help, but I still can't seem to screw them it. The threads refuse to make contact for some reason, and I assumed it's because I can't get them to line up properly.

Are you 100% sure you've attached the I/O plate all the way in. I did that wrong once. Have you put anything else in there yet? I would start with the MB for ease of access. Since the board is so small you should be able to put even pressure on the "psu side" of the MB with one hand, and then with a magnetic screwdriver screw in the two screws furthest from the I/O shield.

EIDT: Nevermind!!! :cool:
Good luck with the rest of your build.

finally done with mine :D

m1 v3, maximus vii impact z97, 4770k, 16gb crucial ballistix tactical, nh-c14 with nh-p14 and gentle typhoon ap-14, reference gtx 970, silverstone sx500, crucial mx100

http://imgur.com/NeH56ni,RnUie8x,UUIElLr

so fucking difficult to mount the nh-c14 with a gentle typhoon ap-14 on the bottom. first off the ap-14 wouldn't fit noctua's fan clips. one remedy for this is this but i didn't have the tools or the patience to wait until tomorrow. so i semi-secured the ap-14 with zip ties. then it turns out that the ap-14's blades are so dense that it's nearly impossible to stick the screwdriver through to get to the mounting screws..... after cutting the zipties and trying a bunch of different positions with the ap-14, i found one where both screws were barely accessible. then mounting it... the thermal paste was messed up from the previous failed attempt but at this point i was beyond caring so i just slammed the thing on again, stared through the holes in the rear of the case and somehow managed to connect the screwdriver to the mounting screws. and then the screwdriver slipped a few times when i was pressing; fortunately there was a heatsink on the motherboard which took that impact and so i didnt create any holes in the pcb.

i'm probably not the first to encounter these issues but anyway that's how i did it :p

I've got the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14, and it works pretty well.

Though to me it's a bit noisy, I'm still working on controlling it as I want. Keep in mind when I say noisy that I'm extremely picky and sensitive to noise. I had my brother over the other day and I had him listen for it and he couldn't pick it out of the background noise in the room.

finally done with mine :D

m1 v3, maximus vii impact z97, 4770k, 16gb crucial ballistix tactical, nh-c14 with nh-p14 and gentle typhoon ap-14, reference gtx 970, silverstone sx500, crucial mx100

http://imgur.com/NeH56ni,RnUie8x,UUIElLr

so fucking difficult to mount the nh-c14 with a gentle typhoon ap-14 on the bottom. first off the ap-14 wouldn't fit noctua's fan clips. one remedy for this is this but i didn't have the tools or the patience to wait until tomorrow. so i semi-secured the ap-14 with zip ties. then it turns out that the ap-14's blades are so dense that it's nearly impossible to stick the screwdriver through to get to the mounting screws..... after cutting the zipties and trying a bunch of different positions with the ap-14, i found one where both screws were barely accessible. then mounting it... the thermal paste was messed up from the previous failed attempt but at this point i was beyond caring so i just slammed the thing on again, stared through the holes in the rear of the case and somehow managed to connect the screwdriver to the mounting screws. and then the screwdriver slipped a few times when i was pressing; fortunately there was a heatsink on the motherboard which took that impact and so i didnt create any holes in the pcb.

i'm probably not the first to encounter these issues but anyway that's how i did it :p
I know what you mean. I noticed really fast my GT wouldn't work unless I modded it. Better solution is to use San Ace fans :) IMO they are better then GTs anyways

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kikim85/image1-6.jpg

I got my silverstone 500w sfx-l in yesterday (ordered from amazon) and finished my first computer build ever. 4790k, asus z97i plus, c14, silverstone sfx-l 500w, ncase m1 v3, team extreme 16gb 2400 ram, evga ssc gtx960, samsung 256gb 850 pro ssd, evga slim load optical drive.

Anyways how can you tell the difference between a ncase m1 v2 vs v3 PSU bracket? From the pics and reports iv seen I should easily be able to clear my gtx960 with no backplate with a real v3 bracket using a sfx-l 500w psu and that is not the case for me. I even did all the tricks I can think of to gain more clearance like loosening the 4 MB screws and twisting it to get the best clearance/angle for the card, bending the wires at the 24pin connector as much as possible but it still puts a decent amount of pressure on the back of my gtx960 PCB. Overall the PSU seems alright, it does make a very mild "knocking" noise like other have reported and tried to describe. Best way I can describe the noise is like rod knock in the car world, but it is very faint and you have to put your ear near the PSU to hear it. Also it seems like the fan never shuts off on the PSU once it starts spinning, I haven't even put much load at all on it yet either.

I think they tried to deliver my M1 today, excited! Should have it soon when I can find time to go pick it up.

my gpu (reference gtx 970 blower) is idling at 55C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is this normal in any way? airflow is a bit restricted down there obviously but still it's kind of ridiculous...

is this normal in any way? airflow is a bit restricted down there obviously but still it's kind of ridiculous...

The only way I would say this is normal is if it is always in 3D mode and never clocking down at idle. Otherwise, thats pretty high

The only way I would say this is normal is if it is always in 3D mode and never clocking down at idle. Otherwise, thats pretty high

Definitely check clocks and utilization.

For example my reference 680 is at 44C (27C ambient), 13% power, 0-5% GPU usage, 324MHz GPU and memory clocks.

I remember some NVIDIA cards always running at full speed or in 3D mode whenever you had more than one monitor connected to it.

Have they not fixed that issue yet?

yup i think it was at full speed but i had only one monitor connected. i guess i never noticed previously as i had 3 intake fans in my spacious h440 and so idle temps were 30-40

definitely not. mine idles 30-35c. need a new fan curve?

mine looks pretty much exactly like that after i changed the "power management mode" setting in nvidia to adaptive

before it was ~30% tdp power with full clockspeed

Pretty good review, thanks!

And pfft at the lack of documentation and having users reference this thread instead.. it's frickin 15k+ posts of M1 information and very personalized help - read it all, like the rest of us have! :D

Hehe yeah, and he actually mentions the thread. I think even though he did mention it, he should have put more emphasis on the diversity of hardware support.

M1 V3 Review by Linus ...if anyone is interested:)

i honestly thought it was a very poor review.

doesnt understand why this case was made.
thinks Ncase is a large company. 'pr people'
'first try'? its a v3 and is pretty proven.
horrid lack of effort in cable management and then says its bad.
does not even mention the build quality once.
doesnt understand the price is high cause of lianli, MOQ, and high quality materials.
etc etc etc.

linus just does shit for views now, not really a good channel anymore imo

was cool to see the M1 get publicity like that though and im sure they will be getting some additional orders because of it

i honestly thought it was a very poor review.

doesnt understand why this case was made.
thinks Ncase is a large company. 'pr people'
'first try'? its a v3 and is pretty proven.
horrid lack of effort in cable management and then says its bad.
does not even mention the build quality once.
doesnt understand the price is high cause of lianli, MOQ, and high quality materials.
etc etc etc.

I would disagree. I thought that his points, in balance, were fair to make. Though yes, it seemed a bit weird that he didn't express the origins and size of NCASE a bit more clearly. To wit:

• "'first try'? its a v3 and is pretty proven." - sure, but it's still the original case and design. Revisions are small improvements, not substantial design changes. The M1 is the first case made by NCASE.
  • "horrid lack of effort in cable management and then says its bad." - bearing in mind that most cases have a lot of space for cables, or let you run cables behind the motherboard tray, it's a perfectly reasonable complaint that a "nest" of cabling is all but inevitable in the M1. Even if it's unavoidable, it's still a pain point, and deserves recognition (especially for those uninitiated in SFF building, which would constitute a majority of his audience).
  • "does not even mention the build quality once." - he does emphasize the excellent design and very good looks, so this isn't totally abandoned.
  • "doesnt understand the price is high cause of lianli, MOQ, and high quality materials." - a very nice expensive thing is still an expensive thing. The vast, vast majority of system builders are spending perhaps half as much on a case that is several times as large.

No review is perfect, but his take, given his position and point of view, was reasonable to me. He had seven minutes to touch on the most important bits to most people, rather than all the bits for all people, and he was mostly successful at that.

While it was a decent review (Linus's) I hope one was sent over to HardwareCanucks whose case reviews I tend to favor these days. Plus they always get some sweet b-roll footage!

While it was a decent review (Linus's) I hope one was sent over to HardwareCanucks whose case reviews I tend to favor these days. Plus they always get some sweet b-roll footage!

YES! he is the best imo, at least in terms of his professional presentation and pleasing aesthetics. i wonder if Ncase is trying expand?

Back