NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

AC socket. Look at the bevels on the AC socket.

Compare it to this picture, where the bevels are to the top side of the picture. The wire comes out to the right.

Now have a look at your seasonic PSU mains socket orientation.
(to prevent hotlinking, here is a link to a store)

The wire is going to be coming out practically into the side panel, with even less room for bending!

This was an issue also mentioned earlier by someone, and would require modding in the form of re-orientating the mains socket, or placing a pretty heavy bend on the cable. I managed to get a nice bed on my cable which is happily staying put, but I am not sure if you have as much room with the seasonic in place.

Hey Wahaha360,

Any word yet on whether the ship has arrived to NL? The uncertainty of the duration of the wait is killing us here :p

If there is a "Despatch No." like this -
Dr7fIUs.png

Then your package is already in NL, most likely unloading or headed to customs.

Actually the cable would bend enough to clear the panel on the Seasonics but the retaining clip gets in the way.

Has anyone tried to fit an ATX PSU into M1? I have a Seasonic SS-400FL2. I can fit it into the case with the shipped ATX PSU mount bracket, but when I try to connect the mains I got trouble. The mains cable in the case comes from the wrong direction. I can push the cable into the bracket with a lot of pressure (I won't do it again as it may break the wires inside), but then I cannot attach the mounting bracket to the case: the small plastic cover holding thingy will not allow it.

I attached an image to illustrate my problem. The cable should obviously come from the other direction but then it can't fit. See red rectangle below.
CableProblem.jpg

AC socket. Look at the bevels on the AC socket.

Compare it to this picture, where the bevels are to the top side of the picture. The wire comes out to the right.

Sorry to interrupt, but does anyone make an angled power cord like the one in this picture.. but instead of left or right angle, one angled downward??

I've been searching on and off for a couple months and haven't found such a thing. Might have to make due with left-angle I suppose.

Sorry to interrupt, but does anyone make an angled power cord like the one in this picture.. but instead of left or right angle, one angled downward??

I've been searching on and off for a couple months and haven't found such a thing. Might have to make due with left-angle I suppose.

Yes they are called up-angled or down-angled. Something that might work for the seasonic is an up-angled plug like this one for under $7. I am sure they are available several other places as well. You have to make sure that they are low profile though too.

Since I plan on modding the cables in the Seasonic PSU anyway, I'll either flip the socket or hardwire it.

Yes they are called up-angled or down-angled. Something that might work for the seasonic is an up-angled plug like this one for under $7. I am sure they are available several other places as well. You have to make sure that they are low profile though too.

Thanks! I actually meant the exterior power cable, so doesn't have to be too low-profile.. just needed something aiming the wire downward outside the case.

Thanks! I actually meant the exterior power cable, so doesn't have to be too low-profile.. just needed something aiming the wire downward outside the case.

Same thing I believe. In fact the up-angled one I suggested would angle downward on the M1 from the pictures. Being on the outside, you can go with a higher amp rating if you want such as an SJT variant rather than the SVT version above. The SVT however should be plenty since it is rated more than twice the max output of the 450 SFX PSU I think. You should be able to go with a 10A, 15A, or 20A (either an up or down angled) NEMA 5-15P / IEC C13 (UA or DA), since the M1 allows you to change your outlet orientation I believe.

Here's another link.

Let me know if I still don't get what you are asking. :)

Sounds like you got it under control ;) The up angled plug looks to be too tall though, not low profile enough? Or at risk of being too long. - OH get it now, external plug.

I am tempted to go with a ATX PSU, my seasonic MII 620 is such a quiet PSU, as seasonic is known for. Will need to get a new non modular one, but not sure if its worth the effort.

As mine is now with the SFX psu and fan duct, even with a 120mm fan, the PSU fan is still the loudest component at idle. 850 RPM on a quiet 120mm fan is what is creating the noise. With the C14 cooler partially to blame because its blocked some of the airflow.

Why does every one think the Silverstone ST45SF-G 450w PSU isn't enough ? I can tell you I've stressed both my 4770K @ 4.4Ghz 1.2v and my GTX 780 TI at the same time and watched the Watts input on a Watt meter and it never went over 390W this is with 6 fans a H100i, 1 HDD and 2 SSDs. So load will be even less in a M1.

Isn't Quiet enough... ;)

I had to flip my M1 external Mains connector to have the power plug angle toward the middle of the case. It originally was a right angle outwards away from midline! Easily done, just make sure you don't twist it around too many times as you need to be careful with the twist on the wires.

Hey Wahaha360,

Any word yet on whether the ship has arrived to NL? The uncertainty of the duration of the wait is killing us here :p

If there is a "Despatch No." like this -
Dr7fIUs.png

Then your package is already in NL, most likely unloading or headed to customs.

The "Despatch" number has been like that for almost week now (it updated on 11th December). I've asked twice at national postal company whether the package with my tracking number has entered customs, and they say that it has not. I have just now emailed them to explain you are insisting the package has arrived in Netherlands, and they are going to do another search based on my name and address instead of the tracking number.

Edit: Mina from PostNL just emailed me and said the package has not yet been scanned in the Netherlands, not under that tracking number, nor my name, nor my address. Now I'm started to be more convinced that the 11th December date is when it left port of Kaohsiung. So Netherlands customers seem to be looking at early January for customs, mid Jan for delivery.

Last edited:
Isn't Quiet enough... ;)

I had to flip my M1 external Mains connector to have the power plug angle toward the middle of the case. It originally was a right angle outwards away from midline! Easily done, just make sure you don't twist it around too many times as you need to be careful with the twist on the wires.

The unit can push out 440w most of the time how isn't that enough power for a system that only need 390w on max load which a system will never do. :)

Last edited:
I am currently running:

• ASRock Z87E-ITX mobo
  • Sapphire R9 290X 4GB GDDR5
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2CP8G3D1869DT1TX0
  • msata crucial m500 480GB
  • Intel Core i5 4670K Boxed
  • Crucial mSata M500 480GB
  • No case fans

On the Silverstone SST-ST45SF (450W).

Been playing BF4 on 3x 1080p for quite some hours. Everything works perfectly.

unnamed_zpsf760397b.jpg

20131203_004556_resized_zps9c8ef780.jpg

The "Despatch" number has been like that for almost week now (it updated on 11th December). I've asked twice at national postal company whether the package with my tracking number has entered customs, and they say that it has not. I have just now emailed them to explain you are insisting the package has arrived in Netherlands, and they are going to do another search based on my name and address instead of the tracking number.

Edit: Mina from PostNL just emailed me and said the package has not yet been scanned in the Netherlands, not under that tracking number, nor my name, nor my address. Now I'm started to be more convinced that the 11th December date is when it left port of Kaohsiung. So Netherlands customers seem to be looking at early January for customs, mid Jan for delivery.

I've bugged them a couple times as well, and got the same response through twitter... Ah well, it'll get here... eventually

I understand your frustration, we are waiting for our inventory in the US and getting impatient as well.

Email me (info at ncases dot com) with your info.

Taiwan Postal Office is said the last package left Taiwan on NOV 7 and there was no delay with NL.

Ordered two kits of 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP so I can shove my H220 back into my M1. I really, REALLY hope this should be enough, might have to remove the heatsinks off the DIMMs, but that should be it.

Just gotta wait now, with Christmas just around the corner, I'm bracing myself for a long wait, even with the express shipping :|

On a side note, hopefully everyone gets their M1 soon, but do remember we were officially given till January 2014 to receive our M1's, others (including myself) were just lucky enough them early :)

well, as a #26'er myself, i will let you know. I live in CT, and i have the request label archived aswell, but i will be home this entire week, so i don't think UPS will have to come twice.

USPS "archived label" message went away this morning for me.. not sure if something has changed (looks the same, I think), or if it's cause I did their email request.

Either way, it seems active again.

Same thing I believe. In fact the up-angled one I suggested would angle downward on the M1 from the pictures. Being on the outside, you can go with a higher amp rating if you want such as an SJT variant rather than the SVT version above. The SVT however should be plenty since it is rated more than twice the max output of the 450 SFX PSU I think. You should be able to go with a 10A, 15A, or 20A (either an up or down angled) NEMA 5-15P / IEC C13 (UA or DA), since the M1 allows you to change your outlet orientation I believe.

Here's another link.

Let me know if I still don't get what you are asking. :)

Lol, ouch.. my head :p Yeah, up-angled IEC C13 to NEMA 5-15P plug should be perfect.. guess 15A SJT wire at 14GA (SJT shielded?) Not sure what normal power cables are.. just want something that would work safely with pretty much any PSU from 500 to 1kW.

But, yeah.. I think that's pretty much what I'm looking for, thanks again! Somehow I have a feeling I won't find such a thing pre-made anywhere, so hopefully S&P can make just one.. seems unlikely, though.

Ordered two kits of 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP so I can shove my H220 back into my M1. I really, REALLY hope this should be enough, might have to remove the heatsinks off the DIMMs, but that should be it.

Just gotta wait now, with Christmas just around the corner, I'm bracing myself for a long wait, even with the express shipping :|

On a side note, hopefully everyone gets their M1 soon, but do remember we were officially given till January 2014 to receive our M1's, others (including myself) were just lucky enough them early :)

Let me know what temps you get using that H220 im going for a custom loop so would like to see how they compare.

I understand your frustration, we are waiting for our inventory in the US and getting impatient as well.

Taiwan Postal Office is said the last package left Taiwan on NOV 7 and there was no delay with NL.

I am getting antsy and anxious but not impatient.

I'll try to do it in a climate controlled area seeing it's summer here in Adelaide, SA. 45°C/113°F days incoming :D

haha I'm in Perth just had a few days of 40c heat it does really suck, You can pick up a thermostat from bunnings cheap to find out the ambient temp.

Email me (info at ncases dot com) with your info.

Don't know if it's of any use, but I'm an NL recipient too, and my tracking information contains the same data as WiSK's ( http://prntscr.com/2bu8yx )

I remember posting here with an urgent request to not use a national postal service for shipping (albeit for not the exact reasons as the delays we are now experiencing) :p ... Pretty sure this wouldn't have happened with an international shipping company. Oh well, I'll just be patient and wait some more (now to hope my package won't be stuck in customs for another month).

As for the Netherlands, it's still the same for everyone in Germany (around 10 or more people) who wasn't on the very early shipment list (like VIPs). If you look at the buyer pivot on the google docs document, the most of europe is already coloured green. Only the "center" is missing.

For my tracking, "Despatch No." 0014 is displayed with "HAMBURG GERMANY" as the "Office of destination". There are two "Acceptance" dates:

- Oct/30/2013 10:32
- Nov/27/2013 18:01

According to wahaha / the taiwan office, it then should arrived already. Even if the second acceptance date means the arrival of the ship, it's very unusual, that it take that long to deliver to the customers...

I know, nobody here can do something about this - it's just a status update from my (our) side.

Update:

According to our national tracking (DHL), the first acceptance date means the arrival of the packages at the taiwan office. The second one means the transport from taiwan to the target office. But, can this be correct, if the taiwan office says the last package already left on nov. 7?

Last edited:
Why does every one think the Silverstone ST45SF-G 450w PSU isn't enough ? I can tell you I've stressed both my 4770K @ 4.4Ghz 1.2v and my GTX 780 TI at the same time and watched the Watts input on a Watt meter and it never went over 390W this is with 6 fans a H100i, 1 HDD and 2 SSDs. So load will be even less in a M1.

Because not everyone's putting high end i7's in there.

mine's just going to be a HTPC, with either a FM1 or FM2+ chip in there.

course i'm going to likely have to mod the fan on the PSU.

in other news: another shipment #26 person here patiently waiting.

Netherlands and Germany are on my list.

I just have to talk to a supervisor at Taiwan Postal Office, the staff is not helpful - they been giving me the same response for the last month.

Because not everyone's putting high end i7's in there.

So if the ST45SF(-G) 450w can handle a heavy i7 and a heavy GPU.

It should be able to handle the systems with less demaning hardware even more...

Lets end this discussion... the ST45SF(-G) 450w can handle ANY modern CPU + GPU unless it's a CF/SLI on a single PCB or dramatically overclocked..

Do the math; 300 watt GPU + 100 watt CPU + 5 x 5 watt shit (hdd,ssd,casefans,dvd, etc.) Would still leave a margin.

And in reality any modern setup that fits the M1 withouth heavy overclock will probably never take more than 350 watt in real life situations....
In reality, you can overclock the shit out of all hardware en be more than safe on the ST45SF-G 450w.

Stop beating the straw man, guys. Read two pages back and you'll see that nobody was complaining about the power output of the ST45SF-G. It started as a comment from okwchin about the noisiness of the fan.

Ho Lee Fuk!

Whaddup Canada, Just got my M1 and man its a beautiful case!

Congrats to ncere and wahaha on an amazing project.

Just put these in now just gotta wait for the cpu cooler and psu cable sleeves to come and ill be all set :D

i7 4670k
ST45SF G v 2.0
GTX 780
ASRock Z87-E
Intel 510 180gb
2x 2TB WD Blue

Ho Lee Fuk!

Just put these in now just gotta wait for the cpu cooler and psu cable sleeves to come and ill be all set :D

i7 4670k
ST45SF G v 2.0
GTX 780
ASRock Z87-E
Intel 510 180gb
2x 2TB WD Blue

Congrats ! What are you doing sleeving wise? Did you order custom cables or are you doing the sleeving yourself?

It's not really impatience. Just feel a bit slighted. Paid $40 more than US customers for similar boat trip. One of the first to post on the thread, quick to donate for prototype, 23rd to order, promoted the case on local forums.

But I do understand issues with shipping and why you've done the things the way you have. I probably have made similar choices as you regarding the early ship list. So I will just bite my tongue now. When it comes it comes, then I will be happy and forget all this waiting :D

Ho Lee Fuk!

i7 4670k
ST45SF G v 2.0
GTX 780
ASRock Z87-E
Intel 510 180gb
2x 2TB WD Blue

Congrats, which CPU cooler are you going with on the ASRock?

Mine is now showing as archived. In Colorado so I assume I will be one of the last. As said above, not impatient, just excited. It's still earlier than I had originally planned on. Won't be building the system until Jan/Feb at least.

My new parts are starting to roll in! My i7 4770K will be here tomorrow and my ASRock H87M-ITX board will be here Thursday. I don't plan on overclocking. I got the 4770K for $100 through Intel's Retail Edge Program :)

All my other components will be recycled from my current build.

SO EXCITE!

Mine is now showing as archived. In Colorado so I assume I will be one of the last. As said above, not impatient, just excited. It's still earlier than I had originally planned on. Won't be building the system until Jan/Feb at least.

Archived doesn't mean anything other than that certain records older than a specific number of days are removed from front-line storage. Our records have been in their system now for over six weeks and most shipments don't take that long. So their system is just removing the older records to make room for all of the other shipments that are coming in and out of the system. If you are on shipment #25, most likely you should have received your case by now given that you are in Colorado. If it is shipment #26 then we should start to see them arriving from the east coast to the west coast starting tomorrow hopefully. If you are on a shipment other than that, then there is probably a problem, but it has nothing to do with the Netherlands and Germany issues (I really feel for you guys). Which shipment are you on? I would like to know if we have a slow #25.

Has anybody else noticed that the availability of the ST45SF-G PSU has been really short recently?

I've checked several different retailers and most are either OOS or higher price than normal. Newegg seems to be one of the few that still has it in stock.

I wonder if Silverstone has something up their sleeves for CES? Or it could be that Valve used up all of the stock for the beta Steam boxes. :)

Looks like two people in France received theirs today. Maybe there is hope for Netherlands and Germany. They are just next door. Anyone know if the packages were on the same ship/shipment?

Has anybody else noticed that the availability of the ST45SF-G PSU has been really short recently?

I've checked several different retailers and most are either OOS or higher price than normal. Newegg seems to be one of the few that still has it in stock.

I wonder if Silverstone has something up their sleeves for CES? Or it could be that Valve used up all of the stock for the beta Steam boxes. :)

I've noticed. Been checking both Amazon & Newegg every day for months, and the price at Amazon for the ST45SF-G has been jumping between $95 and $125 several times, and down to 1, then out-of-stock just as often (just started happening the past month). Newegg has been stable, with same price & availability all year. Also, I'm nearly positive that Tiger Direct had both standard and modular 450W earlier, but the SF-G disappeared from their site last week and is no longer listed at all.

Might also have something to do with the v2.0 450W being used in the new Steam boxes that are just now coming out (LINK), in addition to recent demand from M1 buyers just now getting their cases and needing one.

It's not really impatience. Just feel a bit slighted. Paid $40 more than US customers for similar boat trip. One of the first to post on the thread, quick to donate for prototype, 23rd to order, promoted the case on local forums.

Pretty sure that extra $40 was used for refreshments & dinner w/the captain for your M1 to enjoy itself on its scenic cruise.. our US M1s were stuffed in shipping containers and probably didn't get to enjoy the trip one bit :D

Fingers crossed for the newer higher wattage model! Hopefully the pinout/connector layout is the same so it is a drop in solution, but thats wishing too far ahead.

However, the steambox idea should also ring pretty true too.

If this 450 watter PSU can seriously supply all realistic needs, why create a higher wattage power supply anyway. The truth of it is that most if not all ITX cases will not have CF/SLI and OCing will be thermally limited anyway. The only real reason to have a higher wattage PSU is for comfort factor, meeting the demands of the vocal customers and maybe the odd few who might manage to use this PSU in a really high powered setup.

I am hoping that an increased power capacity represents a more efficient cooling setup. More power means more heat to dissipate, so a re-designed thermal solution. This could mean a higher fan profile (oh no) moving the goal posts with lower rated temperature (no no), or a more efficient design (yay), or a more efficient thermal design such as more fins, more space between components(yay!), with the first the easiest to do....

fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Back