NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

It's understandable that everyone is excited to receive their case, but don't let it get to you. You've both done a great job and it's very inspiring that you have taken on such a big task just the two of you.

/respect

Agree!

+1

Just got the update that you guys may be using a logistic company recommended by LL.
Probably a wise choice, I hope it works out so we can receive it before Jan. If not no biggie, don't fret Wahaha, your doing a great job ! :D

It's understandable that everyone is excited to receive their case, but don't let it get to you. You've both done a great job and it's very inspiring that you have taken on such a big task just the two of you.

/respect
This. Take your time and especially don't let it break you.

Thanks for the support!

It's rare to get TMobile LTE and Necere on Skype at the same time, I had to get all the updates in.

Adamantium, I am very curious of your design of a rear mounted external reservoir. Could you update us with pics/availability/pricing ?

Thanks for the support!

It's rare to get TMobile LTE and Necere on Skype at the same time, I had to get all the updates in.

Well the whole project grew to something quite big and certainly carries a lot of risks and challenges. Kudos to you for handling those challenges and of course also kudos to Necere :cool:

(looking forward to my silver m1 :D)

+1

Just got the update that you guys may be using a logistic company recommended by LL.
Probably a wise choice, I hope it works out so we can receive it before Jan. If not no biggie, don't fret Wahaha, your doing a great job ! :D

Agree. Outsourcing the shipping with a separate company seems like a safer & easier plan, if possible.

+1 or 2 or whatever number we are on :D

-1 Hurry the hell up.. I want my M1 now dammit! j/k.. kinda :p

Having been part of more than a few kickstarter idigogo campaigns if you deliver in the same year as promised, you are doing better than good 85% of these projects.

Thanks for the support!

Thanks so much for doing such a great job! It's ok if there's problems, these things happen. It's no easy task to handle such a huge task on the side with just 2 people. We definitely appreciate the updates!

Necere and Whaha360,

Halfway trough all pages (yes i've read em all) I was already admiring the effort you two went trough answering Alllll of those questions. As I see it the two of you fullfilled two jobs.

1. The entire process to get the Ncase M1 to the point where it's (almost) ready to be produced.
2. Maintaining this entire new Ncase (M1) community.

I think more people than you realize are actually euphoric about this 'thing' you guys created. The Ncase M1 is more than a super cool computer case. It's something alot of us guys have witnessed being created by you guys and the community. (I only jumped in a few weeks back unfortunatily)

I think in ten or twenty years i'll still remember this 'object' I got, just like I'll still remember my first car.

It feels like I've read a book reading trough all forum posts and reading the indiegogo updates.

This is my first crowdfunding project and i'm in for more. You guys accomplished so much more than only the M1.

Here's a THANK YOU from the Netherlands!(Amsterdam)

i'm curious what is lian li's reaction to all this? is it just business for them or they excited to see there were more than enough backers to have these manufactured?

Here's a THANK YOU from the Netherlands!(Amsterdam)

Agreed... and here's a big thank you from New Zealand too :D :D :D

I'm an inveterate forum lurker, I almost never register for posting but I did here just so that I could say that wahaha360 and necere have done an amazing job designing and getting this case off the ground.

I think that the some of these questions are getting quite picky and demanding, and some posters seem to be forgetting that these two folks aren't a multi-national corporation who have the resources to make this endeavour their full time job. They're two enthusiasts just like us who wanted to make something awesome, and they're doing it on top of living their everyday lives just like the rest of us.

They've done us all a great service, and I think it's not a big ask for us to be patient and wait for them to get everything together in a way that doesn't result in them losing their hair and going stark raving mad. We should all think about how difficult a process like this must be before we start complaining. I'm not sure i'd be capable of such a massive undertaking myself, and i'm sure most posters here are the same.

I for one am incredibly impressed by this whole thing. Well done Wahaha360 and Necere :D

i'm curious what is lian li's reaction to all this? is it just business for them or they excited to see there were more than enough backers to have these manufactured?

I'm guessing they take some interest. How much is the big question. I doubt they are above stealing/borrowing ideas of others especially if its not patended.

Check the first post on page 1 dude...:)

Not that one- a confirmation email... that's what I haven't gotten yet. I was lucky to slip in after the campaign closed with a late order link wahaha provided- placed my order immediately, but haven't gotten confirmation that the whole thing has processed and that they have my address.

I'm not super worried or anything, I just want to make sure that since I late ordered they'll still be sending me one.

Not that one- a confirmation email... that's what I haven't gotten yet. I was lucky to slip in after the campaign closed with a late order link wahaha provided- placed my order immediately, but haven't gotten confirmation that the whole thing has processed and that they have my address.

I'm not super worried or anything, I just want to make sure that since I late ordered they'll still be sending me one.

Oh, I see. Hopefully your order will be ok.

Necere and Wahaha360,

Thanks for the detailed status reports. This is a ton of work for sure, and I understand needing to take a break. I am glad you two are willing to pull it all together. Hopefully things at Lian Li get started sooner than later without either of you becoming damaged. :)

If anyone's curious, Adamantium is working on a design for a res that's custom-made for the rear mount on the M1.

WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE TO SEE THIS!

Would you be willing to sell some Adamantium?

Adamantium, I am very curious of your design of a rear mounted external reservoir. Could you update us with pics/availability/pricing ?

The reservoir has been a joint effort between Alex at FrozenQ, Necere, and myself. I submitted the final drawings for the prototype end of the week before last, and Alex is working to put the prototype together this week. I am hoping we will be able to see some pictures of it soon, but that will depend on how much progress he is able to make this week.

The reservoir will mount on the 92mm fan mounts on the back. It will come in two parts: a) an upper reservoir component that has threaded inlet and outlet on the bottom aligned with the tube holes on the M1 back plate; b) a (possibly optional) fitting block that mounts flush with the tube holes that serves as a custom replacement for angled fittings that provides two additional easy to access ports for draining, temp sensor, lights, etc. This block will ensure that fittings line up with the holes in the M1 back plate. The two blocks will be bolted together with screws and brass thread inserts (PEM nuts). The reservoir will also have two fill ports on top (lights, pressure value, etc). All fitting ports will support G1/4 threads.

At this point in time it is planned that it will be available in black or white acetal (POM), as well as frosted acrylic. The front plate will be 9mm clear acrylic with beveled edges, and will be secured with eight recessed black standard 6-32 cap screws. The seal will be a .103in (~3/32in) gasket most likely in black. The volume of the reservoir will be around 130 cubic cm. Four nickel fill plugs will be included.

The estimated price at this point is $60. It will be available through FrozenQ.

Here are some images. The front plate and edges of the reservoir are not beveled in the drawings, but should be in the final product. Maybe Necere can post a render of it mounted on the back of the M1 if there is enough interest. Alex would like to know how much interest there is.
qcsl.png

ja1f.png

983v.png

I plan to add red Monsoon compression fittings, a 120mm x 45mm radiator, a Koolance CPU 380i water block, and an MCP35X DDC pump mounted vertically in the front or horizontally in the bottom front using a Z2 120mm fan mount pump bracket, which ever will work (Mini GPU required, or none at all). The rest will be Silverstone ST45SF-G PSU, Asus ROG Impact motherboard, 16GB 2400MHz RAM, dual WD 4TB SE Enterprise drives in RAID 0, and dual 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSDs for OS disk, Intel Smart Cache/ASUS SSD cache/RAM Disk whichever combination works the best.

Last edited:
Anyone have recommendations for a 120mm (single bay) liquid cooler/radiator - preferably a customizable AIO like swiftechs h220 that could have the tubes cut and shortened? Basically, I want half the H220..

Anyone have recommendations for a 120mm (single bay) liquid cooler/radiator - preferably a customizable AIO like swiftechs h220 that could have the tubes cut and shortened? Basically, I want half the H220..

nevermind-

clearly after adamantuim's post a few minutes earlier, I need to rethink the whole thing.

I've obviously never done a liquid cooled system before....

I'm looking for something nice tho... will research adamantuim's list to try to understand more about what could go where in the m1.

nevermind-

clearly after adamantuim's post a few minutes earlier, I need to rethink the whole thing.

I've obviously never done a liquid cooled system before....

I'm looking for something nice tho... will research adamantuim's list to try to understand more about what could go where in the m1.

The first thing you need to determine is how much you want to overclock and what you want to water cool. If you plan to overclock and water cool the CPU and GPU then you will have to go with a 240mm radiator. If you don't plan to overclock and only plan to cool the CPU then you can get away with a single radiator AIO or air cooler. It depends on how much you overclock, how hard you are going to drive your equipment, how full you are going to pack the box, and how quiet you want it all to be. Some extreme options just aren't going to be possible with the M1 without moving things outside due to its size.

One option is to use the apogee drive II pump. However it is quite thick (tall) and because of the way the fittings stick out the side rather than the top or bottom, it can be a problem for tall memory sticks.

Another configuration I am considering is a 30-38mm 240mm radiator with two fans, a DDC pump on the back of the radiator in front of the cpu using a 120mm pump mount bracket, a flat pump top, and swivel fittings on the cpu block. I think there is enough room for this and it leaves space at the bottom for the GPU and fans. You may be able to get a push/pull configuration if you go to a 25mm thick radiator. Then you have to find a place for the tubing.

No GPU or short GPU allows more options at the bottom. Low profile cards or no cards allow a DDC pump (62mm) to be mounted at the back where the expansion card cover plate is.

If you do some cutting, I think you can get a DDC pump partially into the front panel through the GPU pass through hole.

If you are going with 3.5in HDDs then you are pretty much limited to a 120mm radiator inside.

The top of the case (outside) seems to be a great place for a 240mm radiator as well if you don't mind how it looks.

Last edited:
I am thinkinbg one ssd (256gb) one hdd (1tb+ 2.5) optical disc drive slot load, i am not sure about the gpu atm or the ram, i plan on a itx board, i may wait on the new chip to come out from intel because i dont like how hot haswell runs.

I am thinkinbg one ssd (256gb) one hdd (1tb+ 2.5) optical disc drive slot load, i am not sure about the gpu atm or the ram, i plan on a itx board, i may wait on the new chip to come out from intel because i dont like how hot haswell runs.

Assuming you are putting your HDD in the bottom and your SSD behind the front panel, you should have plenty of room for GPU and 240mm radiator. Let us know what you decide. I'm still think too. I have all my parts except for cooling and custom cables. Stuffed it in a Silverstone SG10 for now.

honestly had debated on trying to cram trhe ssd and the mech hdd in the front panel, but idk

Very nice. That needs to be posted somewhere more conspicuous.

Sorry.. couldn't contain my excitement.

I'll be sure to PM Steve, and see if he can put my post on the front page of HardOCP

:D

BTW, nice work on your res!

Sorry.. couldn't contain my excitement.

I'll be sure to PM Steve, and see if he can put my post on the front page of HardOCP

:D

BTW, nice work on your res!

Thanks, as I mentioned before it has been a joint effort. Necere made some major contributions, and Alex has to make it real.

received and replied, because the confirmed changes where not made and everything is like the first verification ;)

Back