NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

The GTX 760 mini wouldnt be an ideal card because it's a non-blower style card right?

I m no expert in those blower type or not when it comes to moving the heat out of the case or not
But one thing for sure is that using a high power GPU in such small and conceal case is definitely not gonna be fun
Personal experience would be my FT03 with the ASUS DCII 6950 (triple slot)
I dunno if it is because it is not a blower type cooler but when I game the temp inside my case goes up by a lot, and I mean not just the GPU
However with GPU and other component being more efficient and all
I think the so call main stream parts can handle it smoothly without giving a lot of heat
At least my 6950 still doing pretty well on a 1440p display (dell u27)
So I think the 670 shouldn't be a problem

Just sharing my experience, please don't hate me :eek:
Because I can see a lot of M1 user will probably put top of the line components in the case (except me?)

Yeah I figured. My reasoning was that a DirectCU/ACX would keep the GPU cooler than a blower and I could live with higher case ambients. I can't imagine that the hot air would stick around the GPU but hopefully rise upwards. I'd really like the ACX because the heatsink surface area is so much larger.

I tought about flipping the PSU,so that it pulls air from the outside and use the rad fans to push air out of the case. With added fans in the bottom, this should probably also keep a non-blower-style card cooler ...

A lot of testing will be done ...

I'm thinking of using the ASRock Z87 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157374 and was thinking of using a sound card(in the cases 3rd expansion slot) for the mini pcie on the back of the motherboard via adapter... and wasn't sure about the space for the adapter or adapters.... http://eshop.sintech.cn/mini-pcie-to-usb-pcie-1x-riser-extender-card-ffc-cable10cm-p-853.html and if its too tall for the bottom of the case maybe this one as well http://eshop.sintech.cn/pcie-pcie-express-x1-riser-card-p-620.html if everything fits that is... not sure looking at pics though... This way i'd have real graphics and sound all in a mini-itx.

Last edited:
The mini-PCIe slot on the back of the asrock z87e is facing upwards ... might be possible, but huh ... I don't know.

Hi Necere,

2 questions for ya,

1- i saw a picture of 2 ssd's mounted on where normally the odd would sit but the front cover did not exactly close.
Have i imagined that or is it possible to fit 2 ssd for 1 slim odd?

2- i remember that the prototype's the top & sidepanels were a bit longer than the case
so at the back they would stick out a little and slope down somewhere in the middle of the case.
Is that still in the retail unit or do the panels now sit flush on the back like some of the renders show without sticking out?

I'm thinking of using the ASRock Z87 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157374 and was thinking of using a sound card(in the cases 3rd expansion slot) for the mini pcie on the back of the motherboard via adapter... and wasn't sure about the space for the adapter or adapters.... http://eshop.sintech.cn/mini-pcie-to-usb-pcie-1x-riser-extender-card-ffc-cable10cm-p-853.html and if its too tall for the bottom of the case maybe this one as well http://eshop.sintech.cn/pcie-pcie-express-x1-riser-card-p-620.html if everything fits that is... not sure looking at pics though... This way i'd have real graphics and sound all in a mini-itx.

That's going to be mighty difficult to pull off. The orientation of the socket on the back of the motherboard is not facing the ideal direction. It is 90 degrees from what you might be expecting. You will have to fold the cable over and it may not be long enough to go down towards the expansion slot after the fold.

Any updates on the refunds for duplicate orders?

Just contacted Indiegogo for an update. Trying to wrap it up this week before end of campaign.

My PayPal account rep knows about this well. No idea why it takes so long.

Back guys, checked my bank statement and the purchase charge is still pending (due to me using a business card).

The charge will go though somewhere this week! :D

Thanks for making such a well thought out case NCASE!

Any updates on the refunds for duplicate orders?

Lol, you guys that double-paid should've just requested 2 cases.. no refund hassles for Wahaha, and you'd have one to sell to a buddy when he sees how awesome yours is!

:D

Hi Necere,

2 questions for ya,

1- i saw a picture of 2 ssd's mounted on where normally the odd would sit but the front cover did not exactly close.
Have i imagined that or is it possible to fit 2 ssd for 1 slim odd?
That was on the first sample. The front SSD mount has been moved to the center since then to allow the cover to close with two drives stacked (though they're limited to 7mm thick drives).

2- i remember that the prototype's the top & sidepanels were a bit longer than the case
so at the back they would stick out a little and slope down somewhere in the middle of the case.
Is that still in the retail unit or do the panels now sit flush on the back like some of the renders show without sticking out?
The panels are still longer (by 5mm). I removed the tabs though, so the edges are straight now. The tabs weren't necessary and kind of detracted from the clean lines IMO.

interesting, i always figured those back extrusions on the side panels were there for easier 'gripping' when trying to remove them.

interesting, i always figured those back extrusions on the side panels were there for easier 'gripping' when trying to remove them.
Well yeah, that was the idea. But they were never strictly necessary, since the panels always extended 5mm (the tabs added another 5mm). It was just something extra to get your fingers under.

Is it possible to install 2.5" drives on both sides of the front panel?
Yes.

Necere, if you were to install 2 2.5 drives in the front panel you cannot install the ODD correct?

Got any pics also?

Thanks bro

Necere, if you were to install 2 2.5 drives in the front panel you cannot install the ODD correct?

Got any pics also?

Thanks bro
Well, let's make it clear: there is one 2.5" mount on the outside of the front of the chassis (behind the front panel), and one 2.5" mount on the inside of the front of the chassis. If you use the outside mount, no, you cannot also use an ODD. If you use the inside mount, you can still use an ODD.

Worth mentioning as well that the 2.5" stacking brackets can be used to double up drives on any of the 2.5" mounts (with the 7mm thickness limitation on the outside front mount).

Here's a pic of an SSD mounted on the outside front mount on the first sample. As mentioned, this has been moved to the right on the production version so the double stacking bracket can be used.

So basically if I wanted to mount 2x 2.5'' inside it would be possible with the stacking brackets right?

Here's a pic on where I'd like to mount them http://i.imgur.com/CB20CT1.jpg - In your opinion is there a better place for less clutter?

So basically if I wanted to mount 2x 2.5'' inside it would be possible with the stacking brackets right?
Right. The only thing to be aware of is if you're planning to use a dual rad. With the H220 rad, for example, you can only mount one 2.5" drive on the inside mount.

Here's a pic on where I'd like to mount them http://i.imgur.com/CB20CT1.jpg - In your opinion is there a better place for less clutter?
I assume you're talking about cables when you talk about clutter. The bottom mount probably allows you to keep them a bit more out of the way compared with the front mounts.

So your talking about this bottom mount correct? http://i.imgur.com/NxjVdOt.png

I'm going to be using the SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G 450W Gold Editions v2.0

I see that your using the same PSU, don't know about which version but how's the noise on load and idle? Been hearing lots of people complaining that it's too loud.

I'm just trying to see if I can pre-plan so when I get this case I can be ready. I want to cleanest and tidiest cable management possible. Possible to route some cables between the motherboard panel and the left panel?

They're actually a 40mm diameter version of those feet. Yes, they're removable.

I can only find either 45mm or 35mm versions of the feet SD-01 and SD-02. Necere I don't suppose you know where the 40mm versions can be obtained?

Necere and wahaha360,

I believe my question keeps getting lost. I've sent a PM with no response. I was trying to pledge the $15 to receive an additional silver top cover a few days after I already pledged for cases. Did I actually need to pledge $16 instead? Is there a way to fix it?

Necere and wahaha360,

I believe my question keeps getting lost. I've sent a PM with no response. I was trying to pledge the $15 to receive an additional silver top cover a few days after I already pledged for cases. Did I actually need to pledge $16 instead? Is there a way to fix it?

I just got back to civilization with consistent internet access. Getting back to people today.

No need to make changes. I got you.

Last edited:
+1

Also, once this campaign has finished, could you release the design to Lian-Li to continue manufacture of these cases?

M1 will remain a limited edition product.

Speaking for myself, I don't plan on mass producing it or releasing it to any outside manufacturer.

Ultimately, it's Necere's call.

I don't suppose there'd be a way to just get an extra set of panels? I'd love to have both a black and silver set so I could change whenever. I have no used for a whole second case.

At this moment, we are not offering this option.

@necere, thanks for the info, too bad the tabs are gone. IMO it looked really stylish and it doesn't make such a big impact on the cleanliness.

@wahaha360, an extra set would be awesome. Count me in. Im sure many would also like that option. Hopefully you'll reconsider in the future

yeah it would be great if we can order a silver set to go with the black set. That way when or if I decide to do some mods on the exterior, I'll have a backup just in case... also it would be nice to switch between the two colors :)

Thanks wahaha360. If you are Necere are ever in the Houston area, send me a message and lunch or dinner is on me and the wife. :)

Registered to chime in. I'm on the edge of buying one of the remaining few. It just seems a shame that after all of your hard work, only a select few will get to enjoy it. Perhaps consider licensing it to the manufacturer with strict stipulations on the placement of their logo (or hidden) and a 'hands off' approach. This hasn't really gathered much press, perhaps because people dismissed it as vapourware in the early days and now crowdfunding stories are so common. I genuinely think the demand is far higher than the figures you're manufacturing. Thanks for knocking out a great product though, what ever you choose to do in the future.

i don't think its a shame. the case was plastered on quite a number of tech forums. i know i personally made topics in various forums and i know others have as well. also this case has been in development for almost a year so it should not be a 'surprise' to anyone who actually follows anything sff related. if people miss out now, after all this time? tough luck. also it would cheapen the limited edition run.

i don't think its a shame. the case was plastered on quite a number of tech forums. i know i personally made topics in various forums and i know others have as well. also this case has been in development for almost a year so it should not be a 'surprise' to anyone who actually follows anything sff related. if people miss out now, after all this time? tough luck. also it would cheapen the limited edition run.

word

A: "Hey, did you hear about the <case prototype name>? I heard <insert name> made a prototype that looks really promising."
B: "Oh yeah, I did."
A: "Well, I'm going to fund the prototype."
B: "LOL are you retarded? Just wait for the person to license it to some big manufacturer. Necere did for NCASE M1. Why get it for full price when you can get it for one third of the price?"
And so <insert name> failed to gather the funds needed for making a new case, because there's more incentive to be a sheep and wait for something to happen then make it happen.

If it's going to be licensed, there has to be big time lag to reward those who dared to be different, imo.

I'm on the edge of buying one of the remaining few.

Do it! Only 4 days left to decide! :D

I genuinely think the demand is far higher than the figures you're manufacturing.

I agree. I seriously think the M1 could sell in the thousands (probably under 2k/year).

I'm not always checking tech forums, and it was a fluke that I happened to stumble upon a case that exactly fit my needs (just happened to be in the market for a new build, and was originally considering a Shuttle & a few other cases that didn't exactly fit my requirements - completely missed out on the prototype campaign). I'm sure there are quite a few potential M1 customers that either A) aren't in the market and even looking yet, or B) are in the market, and just haven't discovered the M1 yet.

As much as I'll appreciate having a limited edition 1st run of this case, I personally have no problem if Necere & Wahaha decide to do future runs or revisions, or even if they sell their intellectual property and design to Lian Li for future production. They both deserve to be rewarded for their efforts if a manufacturer shows interest in purchasing the rights to this design. And as highly as I regard Lian Li, they would be stupid not to make an offer, since the M1 looks waaay better than anything they've ever produced (and the M1 actually looks like it fits in with their own design language in a certain way).

Does anyone know if there's a way to cable manage your cables between the motherboard tray and the left panel?

I'm trying to pre-plan this and I want this to be a tidy and have the best cable management possible

A: "Hey, did you hear about the <case prototype name>? I heard <insert name> made a prototype that looks really promising."
B: "Oh yeah, I did."
A: "Well, I'm going to fund the prototype."
B: "LOL are you retarded? Just wait for the person to license it to some big manufacturer. Necere did for NCASE M1. Why get it for full price when you can get it for one third of the price?"
And so <insert name> failed to gather the funds needed for making a new case, because there's more incentive to be a sheep and wait for something to happen then make it happen.

If it's going to be licensed, there has to be big time lag to reward those who dared to be different, imo.
This general idea I agree with. Exclusivity isn't terrible by nature. However, exclusivity is bad when the item in question is scarce for reasons that are distinctly illogical, such as downloadable software or media.

Does anyone know if there's a way to cable manage your cables between the motherboard tray and the left panel?

I'm trying to pre-plan this and I want this to be a tidy and have the best cable management possible
Cut and sleeve your own cables to length.

Back