NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Hey rfarmer you might want to edit your post - double quoted me and both have the embedded spreadsheet still it's slowing down things for my drastically here. Can't figure out how to post the link without [H] telling me it's spam or auto-embedding it at the moment so I'm just leaving it at "it's on NCase's website" for now.

Main issue is that the spreadsheet has info that conflicts directly with some of the stuff in this thread as far as what GPUs fit. Specifically, the EVGA Hydro Copper 1080 is listed as "will not fit" on page 1 here, but in the spreadsheet it says it will. So I'm trying to find either a pic of a build where someone's used one or a hard answer on whether or not that card will fit.

Last edited:
Hey rfarmer you might want to edit your post - double quoted me and both have the embedded spreadsheet still it's slowing down things for my drastically here. Can't figure out how to post the link without [H] telling me it's spam or auto-embedding it at the moment so I'm just leaving it at "it's on NCase's website" for now.

I believe there is a minimum number of posts (3?) you have to make before you are permitted to post links. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

yeah that spread sheet, in both threads, kills my browser too. I was trying to figure out how to let someone know to "spoiler" it but the thread seems to be far enough down that its not freaking out now...

Well...either way. Heh. I'm just trying to finalize a part list and start ordering stuff. I've got several threads going on overclock as well in regards to motherboard, monitor, etc choices, but there seems to be a lot of deferring to this place so I figured I'd start posting here as well. I can post up my current tentative parts list if that'll help. Mainly just want to figure out the GPU setup though.

I think this revision of the riser base matches the M1 design language better...
50mm tall, and should accommodate 2x regular thick 120mm or 140mm fans. 3 part construction.

IMG_3722.PNG
IMG_3723.PNG
IMG_3725.PNG
IMG_3726.PNG

So, with a pedestal like this, would one be pushing air into the chassis/radiator, or pulling air out of the chassis/radiator...?

Assuming the side radiator is pulling air into the chassis/radiator...?

Would really be interested in seeing temps & such with a single 240mm radiator mounted on the bottom with the additional space the pedestal provides for airflow above the radiator (since the fans are under the radiator)...

Dual radiators should provide optimal cooling (assuming lower temps / better functionality from the increased fan space); but a single radiator 'down under' would allow for a windowed side panel showing off the build...

So, with a pedestal like this, would one be pushing air into the chassis/radiator, or pulling air out of the chassis/radiator...?

Assuming the side radiator is pulling air into the chassis/radiator...?

Would really be interested in seeing temps & such with a single 240mm radiator mounted on the bottom with the additional space the pedestal provides for airflow above the radiator (since the fans are under the radiator)...

Dual radiators should provide optimal cooling (assuming lower temps / better functionality from the increased fan space); but a single radiator 'down under' would allow for a windowed side panel showing off the build...

It can be explained briefly by system impedance.
It is easy to imagine that the side panels make a half of the air flow.

--
append:

Time Spy Stress Test 20 loops / i7-7700K 5GHz / 1080Ti 2050MHz
2017-07-08 (1).png 2017-07-08.png

Last edited:
Looks great and serves a real function. I see a business plan here!

It definitely looks like the best option for a bottom mounted radiator, this should give good results. I am really looking forward to seeing how well it works in real life.

Is this data coming from an vision connect terminal aquaero?
The room temperature, as intake air, is from Vison Touch display.
The others are from M/B with aquasuite software and HWiNFO64.

I didn't install any external fan controller.
The bottom fans are controlled with BIOS.

TLDR - Will a 274*112*52mm (2.5-slot) Gainward Phantom GTX 980 fit inside the current NCASE M1?

~

I'm currently deciding on which case to transfer my computer to.

It's been inside a Jonsbo C3 since January, when I swapped out the 193*125*42mm (2-slot) KFA2 GTX 970 for a 274*112*52mm (2.5-slot) Gainward Phantom GTX 980.

However, now I want to either go much larger, most likely with a cheap Fractal Design Core 1000, or much smaller, with the latest NCASE M1.

My obvious question is; can anyone confirm whether my 2.5-slot Gainward Phantom GTX 980 will even fit inside the M1?

According to this diagram, it might be 1mm too high? I'm not sure of the card's actual thickness (I'll measure it when I next take my computer apart) but would it fit inside the 2.5-thick area marked on the right? Or would it extend down into the last 0.5 of the third slot?

Also, if I have two Noctua NF A12x15 PWM fans pulling cool air into the bottom of the case, and then a NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM pushing cool air out the side panel, will this be enough to cool the 165 Watt TDP GTX 980? Or will it just be too hot? I currently get highs of 70ºC for both the GPU and CPU.

Talked to EVGA today. Hard confirmation through email that the EVGA Hydro Copper 1080 is a total of 6.06" and will not fit in the NCase M1.

So, the search continues. I'd REALLY rather buy something already put together than have to buy separate GPU block + card.

On a related water cooling note, I found out today that there are some CPU water block / res / pump combos floating around out there. Anyone have any info or recommendations on that? Seems to me like those would allow a bit more room than squeezing a DDC pump underneath the GPU no?

... I'd REALLY rather buy something already put together than have to buy separate GPU block + card.

Just out of curiosity... can I ask why?

As for pumps, the DDC or D5 series are generally used because they are supposedly more quiet and more reliable than the pump/block combo units. Additionally, they are significantly more powerful in the majority of cases. (The swiftech unit is the exception)
However, my experience would suggest that actually, the pump/block units should be quiet enough at the right speed. My own DDC experience is that it's noisy due to vibration at 2/3 speed. Certainly much more so that lower powered pumps.

I noticed a few people using the higher RPM version (2500rpm) of http://noctua.at/en/nf-a9x14-pwm that comes with some of the heatsinks instead of the 2200rpm version you get if you just buy the fan alone.
Now, I could get the 2500rpm version second hand for 5€ more than the 2200rpm fan. Would I notice any difference between the two if I'm using it as the back exhaust fan? Or what's the reason people prefer those?

Just out of curiosity... can I ask why?

As for pumps, the DDC or D5 series are generally used because they are supposedly more quiet and more reliable than the pump/block combo units. Additionally, they are significantly more powerful in the majority of cases. (The swiftech unit is the exception)
However, my experience would suggest that actually, the pump/block units should be quiet enough at the right speed. My own DDC experience is that it's noisy due to vibration at 2/3 speed. Certainly much more so that lower powered pumps.

I'd like to keep my first full custom loop a bit simpler is why. Don't want AIO, but don't want to have to take an expensive GPU apart either. Plus there's the warranty factor, although some have said that EVGA cards at least will still be honored.

Problem with a D5 is it doesn't fit in the NCase M1. 45mm is all I have to play with.

Talked to EVGA today. Hard confirmation through email that the EVGA Hydro Copper 1080 is a total of 6.06" and will not fit in the NCase M1.

So, the search continues. I'd REALLY rather buy something already put together than have to buy separate GPU block + card.

On a related water cooling note, I found out today that there are some CPU water block / res / pump combos floating around out there. Anyone have any info or recommendations on that? Seems to me like those would allow a bit more room than squeezing a DDC pump underneath the GPU no?
It seems that you can make a room of a pump and a reservoir of 2 ways.
One way is like my approach, a single radiator in the bottom and a vertical placed GPU.
Nanook's riser base will help making more room.
The other way is pushing out them from the chassis.

Or what's the reason people prefer those?

Here's my reason.

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan
NF-A9 PWM dim:92x92x25, rpm:2000, dbA:22,8, airflow:78,9, static pressure:2,28, 4-Pin PWM
NF-A9x14 PWM dim:92x92x14, rpm 2200, dbA:19,9, airflow:50,5, static pressure 1,64, 4-Pin PWM

The main differences are:
- A9 has more airflow and static pressure.
- A9x14 is thinner (14mm vs 25mm).

I chose A9 for the airflow/static pressure. However, at >60% rpm it creates wind-noise when air is forced through the vent of the case.
This wind-noise is unrelated to the fan, because those fans when run outside the case is whisper quiet.

I'm almost convinced that whatever the setup everyone is suffering from this wind-noise. (I have a GPU rad 120mm - that's the loudest thing in my NCASE M1).

I noticed a few people using the higher RPM version (2500rpm) of http://noctua.at/en/nf-a9x14-pwm that comes with some of the heatsinks instead of the 2200rpm version you get if you just buy the fan alone.
Now, I could get the 2500rpm version second hand for 5€ more than the 2200rpm fan. Would I notice any difference between the two if I'm using it as the back exhaust fan? Or what's the reason people prefer those?

Here's my reason.

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan
NF-A9 PWM dim:92x92x25, rpm:2000, dbA:22,8, airflow:78,9, static pressure:2,28, 4-Pin PWM
NF-A9x14 PWM dim:92x92x14, rpm 2200, dbA:19,9, airflow:50,5, static pressure 1,64, 4-Pin PWM

The original question was not about the 14mm & 25mm thick versions of the A9, it was about the two different versions of the A9x14 (stand-alone SKU & version included with various Noctua heatsinks)...

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Hi all

I have a question about graphic card clearance

EVGA just announced/released their 1080 ti FTW3 hybrid and i really like to fit this card inside the Ncase M1 when the aircooler version of the card is too big with a height of 142mm and the max clearance in the Ncase M1 is 139mm if im not mistaken.
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6698-KR

EVGA list on their webpage that the spec of the 1080 ti FTW3 hybrid is 128.626mm, that would mean there is approx. 10mm for the tubes to bend and the PCIE power connectors (can buy 90 degree extension of ebay)
https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=9fad9b05-e730-458b-a504-ae42b36f74d3

I've seen a build with a 1080 FTW hybrid inside the Ncase M1: https://goo.gl/LGMQQt
EVGA list the spec of this card: 128.626 which means it is the same as the 1080 ti FTW3 hybrid :O
https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=4c30d8e6-9959-4f98-87d0-ca09d83ba195

though on the pictures the 1080 ti FTW3 looks slight bigger (higher) than the 1080 FTW hybrid...

Think there spec are correct? i've mailed them and waiting for a reply.

Hi all

I have a question about graphic card clearance

EVGA just announced/released their 1080 ti FTW3 hybrid and i really like to fit this card inside the Ncase M1 when the aircooler version of the card is too big with a height of 142mm and the max clearance in the Ncase M1 is 139mm if im not mistaken.
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6698-KR

EVGA list on their webpage that the spec of the 1080 ti FTW3 hybrid is 128.626mm, that would mean there is approx. 10mm for the tubes to bend and the PCIE power connectors (can buy 90 degree extension of ebay)
https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=9fad9b05-e730-458b-a504-ae42b36f74d3

I've seen a build with a 1080 FTW hybrid inside the Ncase M1: https://goo.gl/LGMQQt
EVGA list the spec of this card: 128.626 which means it is the same as the 1080 ti FTW3 hybrid :O
https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=4c30d8e6-9959-4f98-87d0-ca09d83ba195

though on the pictures the 1080 ti FTW3 looks slight bigger (higher) than the 1080 FTW hybrid...

Think there spec are correct? i've mailed them and waiting for a reply.

Should fit the same, although like you said you would need right angle power connectors. Or you could go with the 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487346 This one is only 4.38" (111mm) and you wouldn't need the right angle connectors.

Should fit the same, although like you said you would need right angle power connectors. Or you could go with the 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487346 This one is only 4.38" (111mm) and you wouldn't need the right angle connectors.

Ye i've also looked at the other hybrid they have 1080 ti SC2 but im more interestet in the other card they have, i do hope EVGA can restock this card asap tho from experience EVGA is pretty slow with their stock and getting this to an EU distributor i might just buy the other card...

My Asrock AM4 ITX board is out for delivery!

With my luck, the bastards will require a signature, though. :(

ETA: it's here!

Last edited:
Hey, for all you custom loop watercooling people in this thread....what do you think about this?

Swiftech Apogee Drive II

It's 61.5mm tall.

NCase's website says CPU coolers up to 130mm tall can be used WITH bracket, NO fan.

Since there will be a 240mm rad + 25mm fan in the way, with the EK Coolstream PE being 40mm thick, and a standard 25mm fan....130-40-25 = 65mm left.

So I THINK I'll have just 3.5mm to spare, but it SHOULD still fit. I will definitely need 90 degree coolant tube fittings that do not extend very far beyond the top of the Swiftech though...

Hey, for all you custom loop watercooling people in this thread....what do you think about this?

Swiftech Apogee Drive II

It's 61.5mm tall.

NCase's website says CPU coolers up to 130mm tall can be used WITH bracket, NO fan.

Since there will be a 240mm rad + 25mm fan in the way, with the EK Coolstream PE being 40mm thick, and a standard 25mm fan....130-40-25 = 65mm left.

So I THINK I'll have just 3.5mm to spare, but it SHOULD still fit. I will definitely need 90 degree coolant tube fittings that do not extend very far beyond the top of the Swiftech though...

60a8c3cabc.jpg

That is a Swiftech Apogee Drive II with a 30mm radiator and 25mm fans, you have 10mm easy.

The 90 degree adapters make it much easier.

Also looks like there's about 20 mm from the tip of the fitting socket to the top of the heatsink on it, so about 23.5mm total for a 90 degree fitting. Koolance makes some low profile 90 degree swivel fittings that are 20mm high, so it'll be tight but doable - I think.

60a8c3cabc.jpg

That is a Swiftech Apogee Drive II with a 30mm radiator and 25mm fans, you have 10mm easy.

The 90 degree adapters make it much easier.

PERFECT pic dude thanks.

So basically instead of the slim rad and slim fans though...I'm going with normal sized 40mm thick rad (it's actually only 38) and 25mm fans. Like this guy here:

er9yxjA.jpg

So I think it'll come riiiiiiight up to the fan, but that's it....and I don't see any particular downside to that as long as it's not touching. 90 degree adapters straight down each side, one to the vid card, one to the rad....QD could squeeze right in between over the memory I think.

it was about the two different versions of the A9x14

Sorry, my mistake.

NF-A9x14 PWM (stand-alone): dim:92x92x14mm, rpm:2200, dbA:19,9, airflow:50,5m3/h, static pressure:1,64mmH2O, 4-Pin PWM
NF-A9x14 PWM (with heat sink): dim:92x92x14mm, rpm:2500, dbA:23.6, airflow:57.5m3/h, static pressure:???, 4-Pin PWM

The ones that comes with CPU heatsink appear to pack a bit more punch.

Dumb question: I'm hooking up the front panel header. Power LED is labelled separately per pin (+-). HDD led is labelled +- on a double connector, but I'm reading positive as black, whereas it was white for power. Do I trust the labeling, or the color?

Power switch isn't labelled at all. Does orientation here matter? I doubt it based on what I know of the way the switch works...

Back