NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

FWIW, I had my case shipped to Arcadia. Arrived on the 24th to the local post office. I definitely have no idea what's going on with the other Los Angeles-bound cases. I got my in good condition. A couple of nicks on the outer box, but the actual boxes was pretty much excellent.

I don't even have an update beyond the Nov 7 one. Hopefully I get an update tomorrow.

Last edited:
Done! Took awhile and the H220 still sucks to bleed. Went with 2 Gentle Typhoons as replacements too

AsRock z87, Crucial M500, HD6870, Silverstone PP05-E wires
aaKafIol.jpg

Went with a msata disk to lessen a couple of wires. Fairly clean in there and room for air
OdPyNiAl.jpg

F62knpvl.jpg

hi buddy are those lian li fan filters where can I get some thanks

Done! Took awhile and the H220 still sucks to bleed. Went with 2 Gentle Typhoons as replacements too

AsRock z87, Crucial M500, HD6870, Silverstone PP05-E wires
aaKafIol.jpg

Went with a msata disk to lessen a couple of wires. Fairly clean in there and room for air
OdPyNiAl.jpg

F62knpvl.jpg

Which speed GTs are you using? How does the noise compare to the stock fans?

Which speed GTs are you using? How does the noise compare to the stock fans?

1850's. Totally silent when running anything under 12v. Even at full blast, it just has a bit of a "windy" sound vs the stock helix fans. Definitely much quieter, without a doubt.

The build is what I'd consider totally silent. Just the slightest little "tick" from the H220 pump. The psu fan is modded too

hi buddy are those lian li fan filters where can I get some thanks

Just the stock ones that come with the case. I had to use 4 long screws from the H220 to mount the GT's, and 4 fan screws to mount the filters to the bracket. Otherwise I didnt have a screw long enough to mount the bracket, filter, fan, and rad

(would've multi quoted earlier if I noticed the multiple questions)

Congrats! Could you possibly take a picture of #3 describing how you recommend bending the internal power cable? (if outward intake, otherwise don't worry about it. also wouldn't mind seeing a picture of everything else you managed to cram in there, lol).

And #4, why would additional screws for mounting the HDD cage be needed?

Also, thanks for the info in #1 and #2, appreciate it!

I am using the internal orientation so my cord layout is similar to lemkeant's last photo in post 9287, except that the cord is tucked along the insides of the PSU mount so that it doesn't block the exhaust and is pulled a little longer in the top portion of the S to take up the slack. I will try to post some pictures when I have it assembled again. For outward orientation I would just go straight off the PSU toward the back of the case, or run it against the side, and cut the cable to size. If I had a left-angled cord I could do something similar with the internal orientation. Not worth the trouble. I will either leave as is or do the first bend and then run against the back of case and cut to size.

The reason I was asking about additional screws is that the radiator I am using also uses M4 screws and I need some screws that don't stick out to mount it without interfering with the side panel. Mounting fans on the side bracket isn't a problem because typical coarse fan screws don't have much of a head and are available in black. The screws that come with the radiator are button heads for mounting through a 25mm fan (long) or on the inside rim of a fan. The screws are too long for just mounting through the aluminum bracket and would puncture the radiator. I am installing the fan as exhaust rather than as intake since the reservoir covers the back fan vent and I have two intakes at the bottom. So I just need some black low profile 6mm M4 screws, or I need some washers to the use the supplied button heads. The button heads are just a little too thick, but they work. Home Depot has Zinc plated flat head M4 .7 x 6mm or 8mm, but the heads are as thick as the button heads. Its no big deal, I was just hoping there was an easy was to buy some more black 6mm low profile heads since they work so well and match.

I am using the internal orientation so my cord layout is similar to lemkeant's last photo...

Thanks! Is there any reason you guys are mounting the PSU with intake inward? Might muffle the fan sound a little, but otherwise, it's only pulling in warm air from inside the case instead of fresh air with intake outward (fan should run slower in the latter orientation, so noise output should be similar).

Or... just flip the bracket? Not sure why no one seems to prefer that solution, lol. It's so simple.

I tried that first based on your prior suggestion, but it just looks better with the countersunk screws, and the fit is almost perfect if you do as I did.

Are you planning on watercooling the GPU with a single rad? I have to admit I didn't really consider that use case - i.e., needing to raise the fan bracket for GPU fitting clearance, while still using the HDD cage.

No I'm not sure I am going to install a GPU. It would have to be a mini ITX if I did. I will probably go with an Infiniband card instead. Although with a PFR1212DHE-SP00 fan it would probably be possible, just not very quiet. :) It really was no big deal to tweak. The aluminum is easy to work with. Just thought it might be useful feedback and a minor tweak if you do another run some day.

I don't know. Lian Li found the supplier for us - I don't have any more information on them.

You know about as much about the screws as I do. I didn't go into detail with the screws beyond specifying thread size or whether they should be countersunk (most of which was already pretty apparent from the CAD models). I figured it would be best to let LL's engineers handle that with their standard parts.

Thanks, I have several alternative solutions and the screws from my other case, so its not a problem for me.

Thanks! Is there any reason you guys are mounting the PSU with intake inward? Might muffle the fan sound a little, but otherwise, it's only pulling in warm air from inside the case instead of fresh air with intake outward (fan should run slower in the latter orientation, so noise output should be similar).

Well for me with dual 120s at the bottom I have plenty of fresh air coming in, and with the gold version of the SFX PSU the intake is partially blocked with the outward orientation. I think I will get more fresh air inward facing than I will with the outward facing orientation. I am also doing the top fan as exhaust so that should help with temps inside the case. I even ordered the delta 254.3 CFM 120mm x 38mm 7400RPM PWM fan just for fun to see what happens (pop).:D

Are you planning on watercooling the GPU with a single rad?

I forgot to mention the reason I needed this. It was to provide clearance for the fittings/tubes to the reservoir. The radiator I am using is a 54mm thick (dual pass). Probably could cool both CPU and GPU.

I forgot to mention the reason I needed this. It was to provide clearance for the fittings/tubes to the reservoir. The radiator I am using is a 54mm thick (dual pass). Probably could cool both CPU and GPU.

I am currently running a custom loop with the Alphacool NexXxos slim (30mm) 2x120 and the Apogee Drive II running at 40% speed, cooling both a 4570K and a GTX 770. Works just fine :)

Well for me with dual 120s at the bottom I have plenty of fresh air coming in, and with the gold version of the SFX PSU the intake is partially blocked with the outward orientation.

Thanks, I did not realize the intake was blocked at all.

I'm also planning on running 2x 120mm fans on the bottom, but was concerned about heat from 3.5" HDDs in the side rack being that close to the intake. Might have to try both inward and outward orientations and see what's best.. should be similar either way.

So now USPS says "Requested label is archived." when I put in my tracking number from NCase... I guess that's a good sign?
Last update was still November 7th, Taiwan :(

Early ship list.
Anybody in Nevada or Utah receive a case?
Northern Utah here, delivery attempt on Friday but I was out of town; will pick it up from the PO here in a few hours.

After completing my build, I just want to say that this case is my be-all and end-all of SFF for at least five years to come, or maybe even ten? No other SFF case will interest me again, thanks to Necere and Wahaha360, which is a good thing for my pocket.

After completing my build, I just want to say that this case is my be-all and end-all of SFF for at least five years to come, or maybe even ten? No other SFF case will interest me again, thanks to Necere and Wahaha360, which is a good thing for my pocket.

wait till the M2 (maybe) comes out :D

I am very happy to see how people already want an other project! I can't wait to know what Necere and W360 will do :)

wait till the M2 (maybe) comes out :D

Going smaller means stripping out functionality and going bigger means going bigger. Staying at the same size means fixing M1's flaws which are minimal. M1 is good enough for me until nano-itx with pci-x16 slot becomes a thing. ;)

Just finished up the first version of my build - see imgur album here of the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 heatsink on the Asus P87-i motherboard. It's like the two were made for each other! Juuust enough clearance everywhere. I needed a long pair of needle-nose pliers to reach in and plug the case fans into the mobo, but it was doable...

The case is almost a puzzle box, some things have to be done in a very precise order. ProTip: install the power supply BEFORE any drives on the front panel.

Necere; one note for the future: The slots for the ODD screws need to be narrower; I had to add some thin washers under the screws to keep them from pulling through the slots.

[H] Brothers! Please PM me if you have a 3.5" drive cage you're willing to sell! Every one of you running a dual 120mm fan radiator should have one lying around ;)

Going smaller means stripping out functionality and going bigger means going bigger. Staying at the same size means fixing M1's flaws which are minimal. M1 is good enough for me until nano-itx with pci-x16 slot becomes a thing. ;)

I already posted my wish for a NCASE Steambox case :D

YEdQr9F.png

My father was here on christmas and wanted to have a silver one too ... hopefully there will be some over and i am a lucky one to get it for him. If some one of you want to sell a silver one and send it to europe let me know ;)

Actually with my case it is a little different, the tallest part of the frame is towards the front of the right side crossbar, right by the fold and cutout for the the front-most PSU screw. I sort of fixed it with a combination of lightly hammering with a rubber mallet and a couple layers of electrical tape at the back to raise the back a little to even things out.

Just enough to deal with my OCD. Now to figure out what to do with the slight uneven gap between the angled section of the front panel and the top panel.

I'm glad to hear you fixed yours up a little. Maybe I'll take another crack at mine :)

I am currently running a custom loop with the Alphacool NexXxos slim (30mm) 2x120 and the Apogee Drive II running at 40% speed, cooling both a 4570K and a GTX 770. Works just fine :)

Do you think there would be any space for 45mm radiator with an apogee Drive II?

Well for me with dual 120s at the bottom I have plenty of fresh air coming in, and with the gold version of the SFX PSU the intake is partially blocked with the outward orientation. I think I will get more fresh air inward facing than I will with the outward facing orientation. I am also doing the top fan as exhaust so that should help with temps inside the case. I even ordered the delta 254.3 CFM 120mm x 38mm 7400RPM PWM fan just for fun to see what happens (pop).:D

Thanks, I did not realize the intake was blocked at all.

I'm also planning on running 2x 120mm fans on the bottom, but was concerned about heat from 3.5" HDDs in the side rack being that close to the intake. Might have to try both inward and outward orientations and see what's best.. should be similar either way.

It's barely blocked, like less than .25".

They seem to be ignoring everyone. Starting to get the impression I won't be seeing my res.. not very happy.

Yeah I am getting a little frustrated as well but it is the holidays so hopefully they are just out of the office for that.

My wife's M1 came in today. These cases really are quite nice. Still awaiting word on a silver no ODD top since I got a black one mistakenly instead.

My wife's M1 came in today. These cases really are quite nice. Still awaiting word on a silver no ODD top since I got a black one mistakenly instead.
A little oven cleaner and that black anodizing will come right off. Then voila! A silver top ;)

Hi all, I joined due to NCASE M1 project. I am username "DrWattsOn", been in almost every field of Electronics as Engineering TECH (NOT "Engineer" though often accused), "Troubleshooter", Fabrication, etc., fixin stuff since 1962. I was WV6MRB in 1960, became WA6MRB in '65. Hence (with tip of hat to Microsoft), I am: "Dr Watts (power) On"!

NCASE received Tue. Dec. 24, 2PM Pacific, USPS. Los Angeles area, So. Calif., USA.
As of 11:08 AM 12/30/2013 no time or room to open. (Shame on me).

This post is a request for comment (not an "official" RFC)!
I have built several computers from scratch over the past decades. Anyway, I notice a lot of truly smart(er than I) people with their NCASEs, with a lot of (really) great theory. But I am requesting comments re: my "observations" on building computers.

1:
My first rule above absolutely anything else, as in all my previous builds, is that the case will have FILTERED POSITIVE ventillation pressure. All exhaust fans only serve to help direct internal airflow and keep the PSU from building up hot air.
So the bottom of my NCASE, if I don't (and I don't expect to) seal it up, will have exhaust fans or only filters. Because, in every real-world installation I have observed (my own or visiting my friends owning the computers I built & gave them) or any location including business with a computer: there was always "stuff" that slid under the bottom. Also, the occasional pest (roach, ant, flea) or dirt or hair, can get into the computer easiest through the bottom if it's on the floor.
So if the bottom is an intake, the likelyhood of it being blocked or sucking in critters, is high. Neither I nor anyone I have visited, is all neat and clean.

So I'd sure appreciate any responses re: the bottom intake.
My plan: an extrernal, short 0.5-0.75" platform, sides wrapped with a screen reaching from the desk to the bottom edges of the case, on its own feet.
The bottom will exhaust air and discourage entry and blocking. It will be an exhaust due to the positive ventilation, probably not due to bottom mounted exhaust fans.

Yes I know heat rises. I hope for internal fan(s) to circulate the air directly where it's needed from side/front/rear/top filtered intakes; I expect the Hyper212+ to keep the i5-4670 cool ENOUGH (not a gamer).
The mobo is MSI Z87I, ram is 2 separate (not paired, not Dual-Channel) 4GB Patriot LOW PROFILE sticks, all from Fry's.

No PSU yet, I have an old one and will assemble all external of the case and hook it all up as a function test.

I am into Audio/Video editing and transcoding, so I may get whatever GPU will fit and be better than the mobo+i5 alleged graphics ability, and not cost much.

I got the NCASE because I admire elegance.

I am exceedingly humbled by what I view as the genius of Necere and the others involved in the NCASE project. At 70 (next few months) I have come to realize I may be above average, but because the "average" ain't that impressive, being above it isn't either. These guys, on the other hand, may take their genius for granted.
Bowing, and bowing again, and lucky to have found such expertise on the InterNetWebThingie.

2:
PSU undecided, can spend up to $101.00, don't particularly want/need over 500W, do want QUIET have looked at $200 FanLess but it's 160mm deep and HEAVY, and reportedly has poor inductor assembly so it's noisey. Any suggestions? The NCASE thread at HardOCP is so HUGE I am overwhelmed trying to learn all the stuff. That's partly why I have left Fry's Elect. 3x with no PSU, and $USD still in pocket.

Any chance of someone giving me Help by commenting on these two items, or just some links?
Thanks.

Any chance of someone giving me Help by commenting on these two items, or just some links?
Thanks.

Welcome to [H] Doc!

1). Filtration / positive pressure: be sure to look for Necere's (the NCASE designer) DEMCiflex magnetic filter design to be available in the coming weeks (LINK). It should consist of 2x 120mm filters for the left-side fan rack, 2x 120mm filters for the bottom, and 1x right-side PSU filter.. all locations originally intended as intake for positive pressure.

2). PSU: different choices available, but be sure to check out the SilverStone SFX PSUs that are small enough to allow room for other components in the M1 (ie, 3.5" HDD rack). Currently, there are 300 & 450W bronze non-modular, 450W gold modular, and an upcoming 550W+ gold (LINK). All of the 3 currently available can be found under your $101 budget. The 300W is semi-fanless, so should be considerably more quiet than the other 2 (at least in theory).

Good luck w/your build, and have fun! ;)

AFD: Thanks for response, and wow were you quick! You gave good pointers and I'll check out links asap. I'll report any progress that may be helpful to others. Probably not until after Jan. 5. As for having fun: unavoidable!:)

Thanks for the pic! Can't tell from the angle, but with the side panel attached, it should be blocked even a little more.. maybe less than 25% blocking the PSU's fan grill?

Not ideal, but for me, it's still probably better than the intake sitting next to a 3.5" HDD.

AFD: Thanks for response, and wow were you quick! You gave good pointers and I'll check out links asap.

Sure thing! :)

Also, I believe your 212+ cooler will stick out of the case by a whole inch. It's too tall to fit in the case, and by a good margin too.

You will need to find a lower profile cooler that will provide the targeted cooling vs quietness.

You have 130mm of space between the CPU and the inside of the fan mounting panel, or 135 from CPU to inside side panel.

The 212 I think was a 160mm height.

Phoenix, Az checking in. Both of mine arrived today. Black #0420 / Silver #0923

Thanks Wahaha360, Necere & everyone else here at [H] who helped bring this to reality!

Last edited:
Back