NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

That music is smooooth!

Cant wait for mine!

Without physically having the case, I would like to think that I prefer the slimmer appearance, and that tabs are not necessary once its figured out. Would seem fairly obvious after the first time.

On another note... Today I have taken my similarly sized Cardboard ITX to another house, with the required peripherals all in a single largish backpack! The computer fits into one of the In my previous desktop - Fractal Design Arc Mini, I would have put all the peripherals (except screen) into the case. (short keyboard, mouse, power cables, mouse pad, confectionary, and a santa's hat (mouse bag). With this case, it all fits into the backpack (again, not including the screen), and gives me a more manoeuvrable and comfortable carry system. :)

Last edited:
this is probably the 2nd time I've noticed someone being this careful about fingerprints while handling aluminum cases

It's weird I didn't know it could stain that easily because my lian li, a bit dusty, doesn't have any prints... maybe I'm not touching it as much as most people and I've never wore any gloves handling it

your hands may just be exceptionally dry of oil or you just are not seeing it in the right light.

RipjawsX heatspreaders are soft copper, you can use nail clippers to take a little chunk out of them and then the AD2 outlet will nestle in there nicely :p

WiSK to the rescue again! I never would have thought of doing that, and it saves me 150 bucks- that much more to sink into the cooler yay! Definitely going with the AD2, FQ res, and the ST30 all with 3/8-1/2 tubing (unless I can be convinced that 3/8-5/8 with fittings will fit.... did Necere's renders include 1/2 or 5/8?)

Actually, they had the ST45SF-G on sale during the summer - happened right before the v2.0 became available.

Needless to say, I've been watching the pricing on this PSU very closely for a while.. and not to save money ;)

Yea I posted the info on it. It was only a 24 hour sale probably to clear the old inventory. Starting today though they have a 2-day-only $20 promotional gift card on 4770K CPUs.

The $20 off from getting the gift card makes the i7-4770K $320. NCIX offers it for $310, if anyone was looking to get this CPU.

Better price and no gimmicks!

Hmm just checked and their 4770K is $350 with free shipping. Funny that their 4770 is $350.29. How did you get the $310 price?

Edit: My mistake. I was looking at there 3770K! :(

Last edited:
Better price and no gimmicks!

Hmm just checked and their 4770K is $350 with free shipping. Funny that their 4770 is $350.29. How did you get the $310 price?

Edit: My mistake. I was looking at there 3770K! :(

Micro center is $280+tax for those in an area

Micro center is $280+tax for those in an area

Except for their Tustin, CA location. Can't remember where I read it, but their site says $280 for in-store pick up only and that it's sold out. They have them in stock though, but if you try to buy it in their store they will charge you full price.

I live 40 minutes away from it; I might stop by today and see if it's true.

Except for their Tustin, CA location. Can't remember where I read it, but their site says $280 for in-store pick up only and that it's sold out. They have them in stock though, but if you try to buy it in their store they will charge you full price.

This.

I drove down there last week to check their stock in person, they explicitly said they don't honor the website pricing for CPU's anymore, and their in-store price for a 4770k is $319.99 + tax. They said they offer a slight combo discount with a motherboard purchase, but I already had my M6 Impact (and they didn't carry it anyway) so I didn't really bother to pay attention at that point.

I have motherboard, ram, pair of SSD's, PSU, fans, and cooler all ready for my M1, just waiting for some kind of decent deal on a 4770k, and it seems that every damn site except tigerdirect charges tax for CA residents.

This.

I drove down there last week to check their stock in person, they explicitly said they don't honor the website pricing for CPU's anymore, and their in-store price for a 4770k is $319.99 + tax. They said they offer a slight combo discount with a motherboard purchase, but I already had my M6 Impact (and they didn't carry it anyway) so I didn't really bother to pay attention at that point.

I have motherboard, ram, pair of SSD's, PSU, fans, and cooler all ready for my M1, just waiting for some kind of decent deal on a 4770k, and it seems that every damn site except tigerdirect charges tax for CA residents.

Thanks for the confirmation. Saved me a trip over to the store.

So, for what I'm seeing... the first packages to arrive are the ones sent to countries where demand wasn't really high... which means I could get mine kinda soon :D

By the way, any chance you could disclose how many cases are sent to each country? I want to know how many spanish fellows are getting one ;)

This.

I stopped wasting my time at that store with their botched Sandy Bridge launch. I was first there, but my checkout guy was too slow. I missed out and I could have had it at Fry's hours earlier at MSRP. Microcenter seems really stingy with their CPU stock for their price specials. The ad is everyone, but only a handful of people can actually acquire it at that price. Seems like more a trick to get you in the store at all costs.

This is probably one of the best crowd funded projects I've ever seen.

Like, real, actual products are arriving to people's doorsteps earlier than expected. The finished product is clearly glorious.

Necere and wahaha, you guys members of genmay?

... and just like that, all my components are bought. The M1 can't come soon enough!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $309.99)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $129.99)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $214.99)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $130.49)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $169.99)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $265.99)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (Purchased For $529.99)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified SFX12V Power Supply (Purchased For $93.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $99.99)
Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 White LED Backlit (Brown Cherry MX) Wired Standard Keyboard (Purchased For $149.00)
Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $69.68)
Case: NCASE M1 (Purchased For $206.00)
Total: $2370.09

God I hope not. That's the only place worse than SA that I can think of.

Anyhow, uploading some beauty shots of the case now for NASE to use for marketing if they want.

Last edited:
Thank you M4rk for the photos!

Seems like there will be a lot of Asus M6I in M1 builds:eek:

Got a couple more coming, editing them as I go.

That's it for now I think.

First post here:

God I hope not. That's the only place worse than SA that I can think of.

Anyhow, uploading some beauty shots of the case now for NASE to use for marketing if they want.

Last edited:
It really looks like Lian Li did a superb job with the manufacturing. I sure hope mine look as well made as M4rk's.

Criminy, M4rk... those pictures are making me look at your case with lust in my heart, and I have one sitting right here!!:eek:

Thanks Mark, nice photos. Really gives a good sense of the detail and quality of the finished case.

I'm not. I can pretty much guarantee w360 isn't, either. He didn't even know this forum was part of HardOCP until I told him a few months back :p

On another note... Today I have taken my similarly sized Cardboard ITX to another house, with the required peripherals all in a single largish backpack! The computer fits into one of the In my previous desktop - Fractal Design Arc Mini, I would have put all the peripherals (except screen) into the case. (short keyboard, mouse, power cables, mouse pad, confectionary, and a santa's hat (mouse bag). With this case, it all fits into the backpack (again, not including the screen), and gives me a more manoeuvrable and comfortable carry system. :)

A couple of months back I spec'd out some tackle bags for the M1. There are a few out there that are padded, have water-proof hard bottoms for protection against water, snow and concrete, have lots of zippered pockets and bungee cords for accessories, carry handle and shoulder straps, and zippered wide top, that look like they will fit the case nicely.

I have been using a shuttle bag for years and these tackle bags are more functional and many are less expensive. The Shuttle PF60 is a good bag if you can find a place to buy one anymore. They have a soft padded cloth interior with hard bottom, zippered pockets, etc. My cardboard mockup of the M1 fits well with the expansion zipper opened. The M1 is a little more narrow and taller than a shuttle so the bag is a little bigger than needed but you end up with some extra space inside for things like external hdd, headphones, small keyboard, etc.

I also checked out some of the pelican hard cases with fat foam interiors. They float, have air pressure valves, locks, and look like they would survive a car accident, but they are pricey and large with the fat foam inside.

I'm thinking of going the tackle bag route if I can fine a good looking one that fits perfectly. Maybe camoflage.

Ya'll making me sheepish. Necere, if you want more pictures or better pictures, just let me know! I love doing this photography and videography stuff, and I enjoyed writing the press releases too. Don't hesitate to send me an email if you've got more cool stuff in the works. ;)

Who else plans on taking their M1 to PAX East in April?

I can't wait to see multiple M1's lined up with completely different configurations.
I'm Enforcing at the show on the expo hall floor, which means I don't ever get the chance to BYOC (I'm on the floor from open to close coralling nerds into lines), but I don't know about this time. I really want to show off my build if I can. Jacksonville, Florida ain't much of a LAN party town, so I'll probably have to get a Pelican hardcase or that Shuttle bag and fly it up to Boston.

Serious though, if anyone else is actually going to PAX East for sure, let's meet.

Ya'll making me sheepish. Necere, if you want more pictures or better pictures, just let me know!

Moar! Great vid & beautiful photos, thanks a lot for doing that!

Also, thanks for mentioning the slim slot-load Bluray & DVD deal I posted last week..

If anyone missed that, here's the post with discount codes, pricing & US/Int'l shipping details (hurry up though, DEAL ENDS IN 4 DAYS!)..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040314284&postcount=6277

Moar! Great vid & beautiful photos, thanks a lot for doing that!

Also, thanks for mentioning the slim slot-load Bluray & DVD deal I posted last week..

If anyone missed that, here's the post with discount codes, pricing & US/Int'l shipping details (hurry up though, DEAL ENDS IN 4 DAYS!)..

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040314284&postcount=6277
I'm gonna do that deal now that you reminded me. I think I mentioned it in my video but forgot to actually make use of it.

What other angles or features would you guys like recorded on video or photographed? I could pop on and off the case sides for ten minutes and loop it on Youtube with more sexy music, but I doubt anyone actually wants that. ;)

What other angles or features would you guys like recorded on video or photographed? I could pop on and off the case sides for ten minutes and loop it on Youtube with more sexy music, but I doubt anyone actually wants that. ;)
If you want to do some head-on and side-on shots, as well as some low angle stance/hero shots, I reckon that'd be sweet.

Oh, and maybe with a canned beverage of choice for comparison?

If you want to do some head-on and side-on shots, as well as some low angle stance/hero shots, I reckon that'd be sweet.

Oh, and maybe with a canned beverage of choice for comparison?
I have cans of Woodchuck's hard apple cider on hand. Would that be socially acceptable? :p

I'll buy a can of Coke tomorrow, chill it, and then try to get some sexy wet pictures...

To those who have the case already, do you think it's imperative to have a hard-covered luggage-type bag to travel with the M1. I think it was The_Cheese who commented on the case panels being a little flimsy. I would hate to travel with this case and find out that the case panels were dented in the transportation process?

To those who have the case already, do you think it's imperative to have a hard-covered luggage-type bag to travel with the M1. I think it was The_Cheese who commented on the case panels being a little flimsy. I would hate to travel with this case and find out that the case panels were dented in the transportation process?
I'm leaning towards buying a Pelican hardcase to put my M1 in when transporting it. I don't trust anything else really. If you're worried about it, then play it safe.

This case is probably the smallest one that will fit the M1: http://www.pelican-case.com/im2450.html

I'm not sure how thick the foam would be on each side when it's in there, though.

It isn't that the panels are flimsy so much as the design does not include a superfluity of stiffening.

The panels are at their most vulnerable to damage when they are not attached to the frame; I would be most worried about them being sat on by anything bigger than a medium-sized cat or a small dog while laying on some more-or-less stable surface awaiting installation.

If it was me, I would get a bag with at least 2 inches of shock-absorbent open-cell foam all the way around the case, and reinforced corners... a hard case would probably be a better idea.

Back