[?] Native USB3.0 HDD to SATA or esata

allenpan

[H]ard|Gawd
[?] Native USB3.0 HDD to SATA or esata

i just realize all my WD 500gb passport USB3.0 are NATIVE USB3.0 not SATA, and i need to run them as internal SATA or even eSATA...

seriously they are "NATIVE USB3.0", not SATA...

110612_001.jpg

so i need USB 3.0 - >SATA/eSATA.....or somthing like that

that is the craziest thing I've ever seen... didnt know they even made them that way, they probably arent "native USB" in the traditional sense, they probably just have the converting hardware built into the logic board so the USB port is on the drive and the sata port is hardwired into the converter circuit, instead of a separate board inside the passport case like most external HDD's. This is a purpose built drive, Im not sure your going to being able to convert it back to SATA, I dont think anyone makes anything like that. You would be going SATA>USB>SATA which is gonna slow things down.

Now if you goal is just to be able to mount them internally inside your case you could do that using the USB headers on your motherboard (as long as they are powered)...

well, they are going for embedded appllication, but the usb i have on mobo is 2.0 - > MAX 32Mb/s and i know with "native" sata = 45+/- Mb/s

well, they are going for embedded appllication, but the usb i have on mobo is 2.0 - > MAX 32Mb/s and i know with "native" sata = 45+/- Mb/s

Actually usb 2.0 is 480Mb/s or ~60MB/s (8 bits to a byte) yes this is slower than sata but should be fast enough for most purposes... you should find a similarly specced drive (same rotational speed, cache, # of platters, etc) and see what its read/write speeds are, they probably arent much faster than 60MB/s, but converting back to SATA is also gonna slow things down. Ideally if it is such a concern you should just get new drives, ones designed for that purpose and not as a portable USB drive. It looks like those drives get their power from the USB as well so if your motherboard USB headers arent powered (most are not) then my original suggestion wouldnt work anyway... I think your gonna need different drives :/

What is the embedded application that requires that kind of hdd transfer speeds anyway? I am curious

they are using for realtime data logging for matlabbing and machine learning, i know i can make it use as internal hdd on usb ports, but i dont think our application will install on mobile device (USB)

they are using for realtime data logging for matlabbing and machine learning, i know i can make it use as internal hdd on usb ports, but i dont think our application will install on mobile device (USB)

Sounds like a job for an SSD, to me.

I read that WD was using some proprietary connections to make them more difficult to install in a desktop.

This is the first time I've ever seen one.

Good luck!

Back