• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My Dell's on fire..

Aushvill

n00b
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
34
hi folks.

This is my first post in the section of Mobile Computing.
Yes, of course you are right - its cause of a problem..

I received my brand new Dell Studio 1555 (my first laptop ever :) ) on May 14th 2010. It was an online purchase - directly from Dell itself (not from any local dealer).

After all the excitement had settled - (which took bout a week), some issues began to concern me...

1. the touchpad would heat up so bad - had to stop work.
Annoyingly this happened repeatedly, it was not possible to continue work merely after a half-an hour or so ..

2. following the touchpad , the palmrest (extended area towards the sides of touchpad) would heatup.

3. the fan exhaust towards the rear of the laptop created a jittery sound, which would keep increasing the longer i worked on the laptop.

4. the charger was heating up like it was gonna melt.

It scared the shit outta me.
Having shelled out $1.2K, I was worried.

After 17 days of using the laptop, I called up DELL support. They sent over a service personnel to ma place.

After careful inspection he told me that he needed to change a "small" part, n that would fix it all.

Hold on a second.
He pulled out a HEAT SINK from his bag.

WTF - a small part ...! :eek:

Though twas my first laptop, commonsense told me of the elaborate operation he had to perform on the laptop in order to replace the component. - a complete teardown to the motherboard itself.

The nature of the compact device allows lesser flexiblity to support frequent teardowns (this being the first one- that too within 2 weeks)..

I told him to stop and asked him if I could get a replacement instead. He called up his senior at Tech Support.
That guy told me a replacement could be made possible, with conditions :
i. Dell would first pick up my faulty laptop. - I agreed
ii. The replacement would take atleast 45 days - Damn thats too long

BUT there was a catch.
Ofcourse, I had to giveup the current laptop prior to receiving the new one.
The timeframe between submitting the current one and receiving the new one - as I was told would be atleast 3 weeks.

This meant I would be without any laptop for the same time.
I could purchase another one for the time being - if I was any richer.
This one had drilled large holes in my pockets.\

I told the of my need to use the laptop as at that time I was really busy (the reason I bout one)- laptop was necessary to keep pace with my work.

All I was asking was to be allowed to use my current laptop UNTIL I received the new one.

He refused to pay heed to my request, said this was the STANDARD procedure and had to be followed.

A final decision could not be reached. However, he promised me to have his senior call me on the 3rd day.

Gone a week and I was still awaiting a call.

I decided to call up Dell and enquire of the delay they were making in settling the matter.
After explaining the problem my laptop faced 3 times - the same thing 3 times , I was routed seemingly to the right person.

He too told me the same thing. I wasnt ready to be ridiculed by DELL in this manner.
Again no results.
Meanwhile bout 50 days had passed since my purchase.
The problems were only aggravating. My patience had run out. Enough was enough :mad:


I called up DELL - and told them I wanted a REFUND of my money and they could have their laptop back .

They bluntly refused - stating that a replacement was already in place and now I couldnot change.

Hell no .. :confused:
I never AGREED to their stupid and tyrannical terms. :mad:
how could a replacement already be inplace.

If so DELL would clearly call me up to inform me of the proceedings.

They were clearly trying to wash their hands off by giving silly reasons. (Just like the ones Steve jobs gave for the iphone 4 signal reception !!!!)

Duh !!
They forget that people do have brains. :rolleyes:

I now want to sue Dell over this.
I need your advice, tips, suggestions or comments, references to precious such incidences as to how I can best present my case and certainly teach DELL a lesson, by making em pay heavy compensations.

thanx you for hearing me..
 
I don't understand why you didn't let the guy fix the laptop in the first place? Sounds like a faulty fan, or defect in the heatsink could have caused all of your problems and letting him replace in in about 20 minutes you'd have been fine. If not, call Dell back and say "Hey, this shit ain't fixed, I want my money back so I can get an HP instead."


You brought this on yourself and Dell will have the records in place to say they sent someone to fix it and you refused to let him.

And tearing down a laptop is nothing... I've done it a hundred times on various models Probably half a dozen time on my own. Never caused any problems, and almost always solved the problem behind me tearing it down in the first place.
 
I don't understand why you didn't let the guy fix the laptop in the first place? Sounds like a faulty fan, or defect in the heatsink could have caused all of your problems and letting him replace in in about 20 minutes you'd have been fine. If not, call Dell back and say "Hey, this shit ain't fixed, I want my money back so I can get an HP instead."


You brought this on yourself and Dell will have the records in place to say they sent someone to fix it and you refused to let him.

And tearing down a laptop is nothing... I've done it a hundred times on various models Probably half a dozen time on my own. Never caused any problems, and almost always solved the problem behind me tearing it down in the first place.

I agree with what Ryan is saying here.

Aushvill: you sound pretty pissed if you don't mind me saying. It sounds to me like one or more of Dell's reps may have rubbed you the wrong way, and now you've got your back up over the situation.

I don't think you're being 100% resonable on this. Sleep on it, cool off a bit and call them back. Be calm, yet forcefull.
Personally I'd just let the onsite tech do his thing and see if that resolves it, but it's your call.
 
Dell is notorious for 3rd rate cooling designs

And support. They refused to service one I'd bought from Best Buy a few years ago. So I had to take it BB's service department, and what did they do.. send it on to Dell. I got it back in three weeks and sold it to a friend at a loss because I had to buy a new computer to hold me over until it got back.

I've had many more run-ins with them from various friend's and family's needing help.
 
Don't buy a Dell consumer model unless it's an XPS.
Buy a Dell business model with business support, especially if you're using it for work. Preferrably with Gold support.

Just had a motherboard replaced in my wifes XPS, took less then a week and I'm in a different country then where I purchased it, no issues.
 
I feel your pain OP even tho I didnt have a laptop issue. I ordered a couple of Monitors from them awhile back that were in stock and bam all of a sudden went out of stock. I waited roughly 38 days & still nothing. It took another 1.5 weeks just to get a Refund. They kept trying to get me to get lower Quality monitors then what I ordered.

I have to agree with the others also. You should of let them Fix it right there problem solved. Dell is Trash period. They take way to long to get out ordered or anything. Customer Service is a Joke. After my experience with Dell I never bought another Product from them again they lost my business.
 
I don't understand why you didn't let the guy fix the laptop in the first place? Sounds like a faulty fan, or defect in the heatsink could have caused all of your problems and letting him replace in in about 20 minutes you'd have been fine. If not, call Dell back and say "Hey, this shit ain't fixed, I want my money back so I can get an HP instead."


You brought this on yourself and Dell will have the records in place to say they sent someone to fix it and you refused to let him.

And tearing down a laptop is nothing... I've done it a hundred times on various models Probably half a dozen time on my own. Never caused any problems, and almost always solved the problem behind me tearing it down in the first place.

You are perfectly rite in the general scenario...
Repairs and services of parts involving replacements do demand of TEARDOWNS...

HOWEVER, the fan which is a mechanical part - wasnt damaged due to WEAR ...
Instead was faulty from the very inception.

Allowing teardown within the first week is like buying a Porsche 911 or Aston Martin DB-S , only to have them say ...Sir , we need to replace a PISTON on the v8..

I'd be takin shit in my face if i had allowed that to happen...
 
Last edited:
Interesting. On my sister's XPS they did replaced her laptop as a lemon after two part swaps but she was allowed to keep her mostly-functional laptop until the new one arrived. Perhaps it's because her laptop was an XPS that they allowed it?
 
You are perfectly rite in the general scenario...
Repairs and services of parts involving replacements do demand of TEARDOWNS...

HOWEVER, the fan which is a mechanical part - wasnt damaged due to WEAR ...
Instead was faulty from the very inception.

Allowing teardown within the first week is like buying a Porsche 911 or Aston Martin DB-9S , only to have them say ...Sir , we need to replace a PISTON on the v8..

I'd be takin shit in my face if i had allowed that to happen...

First, what the hell is a DB-9S, it's the DB9 or the DBS or the racing variants. And yes, if you have a malfunctioning part in a vehicle, you're going to get it replaced, not a new vehicle. In this case, the Ford Focus would get the manfunctioning radiator replaced.
 
You are perfectly rite in the general scenario...
Repairs and services of parts involving replacements do demand of TEARDOWNS...

HOWEVER, the fan which is a mechanical part - wasnt damaged due to WEAR ...
Instead was faulty from the very inception.

Allowing teardown within the first week is like buying a Porsche 911 or Aston Martin DB-9S , only to have them say ...Sir , we need to replace a PISTON on the v8..

I'd be takin shit in my face if i had allowed that to happen...

Newsflash: some parts come off the line defective and get through QA. The only option to resolve any issues they cause is to replace them when they go bad.


The guy was there to fix your computer; you didn't let him, and NOW you're complaining that Dell won't fix this mess for you. You're even willing to sue Dell. But the judge is going to take one look at the case and laugh when he sees that you didn't give Dell the chance to make the needed repairs. If you'd let the guy make the repairs and he screwed up, or the fix didn't work, THEN you'd have some recourse.. but now you have no leg to stand on (just some irrational anger).

Now to compare an incredibly complex performance engine to a simple laptop is asinine at best. But you better damn well beleive that if I brought my car in to see what was wrong with it and the tech told me that a piston had a design flaw and there was a new set that corrected it, that car would be in his shop faster than you can say warranty claim.
 
but that doesnt give Dell the Right to take 50+ days to get a customer a new Laptop either. Right there shows shitty customer service.
 
but that doesnt give Dell the Right to take 50+ days to get a customer a new Laptop either. Right there shows shitty customer service.

Yes, Dell has shitty service, but this guy has refused to let Dell do anything to resolve the matter. He wouldn't let them fix the problem, he wouldn't let them exchange the laptop (yeah, they could have shipped a new one first.. but it's not their policy), and he's the one that waited 50 days to contact them again. There are many many thing he could have done differently to get the service he demands, and he's only throwing a hissy fit.
 
You bought a Dell, you really should expect nothing better regarding service. I refuse to buy from them any more.
 
There's nothing high tech or elaborate about a laptops cooling setup. It's basically just a piece of metal pressed against a chip with some paste in between. It's actually safer than a desktop since you don't have to balance a generically sized 100 pound heatsink and hung on its side, then worry if the thing dislodges when you set the case upright and the weight gets shifted around.
 
There's nothing high tech or elaborate about a laptops cooling setup. It's basically just a piece of metal pressed against a chip with some paste in between. It's actually safer than a desktop since you don't have to balance a generically sized 100 pound heatsink and hung on its side, then worry if the thing dislodges when you set the case upright and the weight gets shifted around.


Its not that I wanted to hide a lot from you all. But instead I wanted to keep the topic relevant.

The missing piece of the detail is here.

As told by the service guy.
Another Studio 1555 in a nearby area, had a motherboard crash : within a week - so it wont boot up.

Dell sent over the same guy (as mine - the reason he knows) for a replacement of the motherboard.

HOW MUCH LAME CAN DELL (INDIA) GET... :mad:

Replace a motherboard of a new laptop....

The customer was naive and unexperienced just like me, and would allow for the replacement..had it not been for the service guy ...who suggested that a replacement could be made..

I took the cue and asked the guy if i can get a replacement too...he said " yes " and mentioned that it was the rite thing to do ..

He also mentioned that since the laptop does employ " standard " screws (to allow customers to upgrade.) - if ever in the future i faced a problem that had stemmed from this teardown and subsequent replacement -- DELL COULD JUST WASH THEIR HANDS OF SAYING, THIS IS DUE TO CUSTOMER'S OPENING THE LAPTOP OR GETTING UPGRADES FROM UNAUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ... ...and push the matter on the customer due to An apparent VOID of WARRANTY...

Had it not been for his advice, I wont have had any objection to the proceedings of the matter...

The calls to the senior Tech support followed.

Another reason I wanted to keep the old one till the new one arrived, besides work crunch, was this : I felt they were going to send me the same laptop back, this time fixed, they can do it, I mean until I have the processor and other peripherals hardware unit nos... I would have no reason to find out if this was the same laptop..
They can change the nos..the service tags..n all

You guys have heard a lot of such cases, I am living it... Feels so great I chose to buy a DELL :rolleyes:


One thing I've realized from your replies is that I shud not buy a DELL (henceforth) , n I wont.
BUT in INDIA its a real big HIT !!!!:confused:
 
Last edited:
Unless there's a warranty sticker, Dell would have absolutely no way of knowing that you took the laptop apart for them to make that claim. If there was a sticker and this guy was an authorized tech, then he would have been able to replace the sticker when he was done... so the guy's either talking out of his ass to make his job easier, or just doesn't really know what he's talking about.

As for them just sending your unit back after requesting an exchange... I suppose it's possible, but not likely. Yes they can change the numbers, but it's easier and cheaper to just grab another box off the shelf and send it out than it would be to fix yours and change all the stickers and software. Either way, you'd still have a fixed laptop. You could have even pushed for cross shipping and got it. I've seen it done several times on this forum.


BTW you'll get just as shitty of service from Acer/Gateway/eMachines, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and Sony.
 
Unless there's a warranty sticker, Dell would have absolutely no way of knowing that you took the laptop apart for them to make that claim. If there was a sticker and this guy was an authorized tech, then he would have been able to replace the sticker when he was done... so the guy's either talking out of his ass to make his job easier, or just doesn't really know what he's talking about.

As for them just sending your unit back after requesting an exchange... I suppose it's possible, but not likely. Yes they can change the numbers, but it's easier and cheaper to just grab another box off the shelf and send it out than it would be to fix yours and change all the stickers and software. Either way, you'd still have a fixed laptop. You could have even pushed for cross shipping and got it. I've seen it done several times on this forum.


BTW you'll get just as shitty of service from Acer/Gateway/eMachines, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and Sony.


Best not to be speculative any more ...to be decisive now is the key...

I need all the help I can from yal

facts, figures, real cases pertaining to possible cheating of customers (by DELL), all the possible links to pages of lawsuits DELL is involved in due customer service... and other help on similar lines..

I have already put my foot down,, now I want to make a point and make it very clear to them :mad:
your help and guidance will prove detrimental in this case/...
 
Best not to be speculative any more ...to be decisive now is the key...

I need all the help I can from yal

facts, figures, real cases pertaining to possible cheating of customers (by DELL), all the possible links to pages of lawsuits DELL is involved in due customer service... and other help on similar lines..

I have already put my foot down,, now I want to make a point and make it very clear to them :mad:
your help and guidance will prove detrimental in this case/...

Search google for Dell customer service law suit.

But again, I'm telling you that you shot yourself in the foot form the get go. They showed up to fix the laptop and you wouldn't let them. Then when you asked for a replacement, they obliged but you would not accept the their conditions and went no further up the chain of command (from the way it sounds anyway) to get it done the way you wanted. They keep all of this stuff on record and will be more than happy to show a judge that they "tried" as laughable as it was. There's no law that states exactly how they have to service their customers. The best you're going to get is your money back. There is no lesson that Dell is going to learn here because as soon as you get that, there's 10 more customers to take your place to be abused.
 
I'm with everybody else here you are being unreasonable a computer is an object made by man and by that reason it is doomed to fail.

You got a lemon and they tried to fix it. YOU didn't let them I don't know what you expected them to do hand you a new computer on a silver platter.

As with above I don't care who you bought your laptop from HP and Lenovo would of made you mail it in even to be looked at with the basic warranty. You would have been with out your laptop for at least 2 weeks and then it would of just came back fixed.

As with cars some are lemons. If you drive your brand new Porsche off the lot and the engine blows up they don't give you a new car they give you a new engine.
 
Search google for Dell customer service law suit.

But again, I'm telling you that you shot yourself in the foot form the get go. They showed up to fix the laptop and you wouldn't let them. Then when you asked for a replacement, they obliged but you would not accept the their conditions and went no further up the chain of command (from the way it sounds anyway) to get it done the way you wanted. They keep all of this stuff on record and will be more than happy to show a judge that they "tried" as laughable as it was. There's no law that states exactly how they have to service their customers. The best you're going to get is your money back. There is no lesson that Dell is going to learn here because as soon as you get that, there's 10 more customers to take your place to be abused.

The lawsuit aint bout repairing the laptop..
Please explain to me one thing ..

If they say as they do, then why havent I received my replacement laptop as yet...

They havent even collected the current one ???

Negligence or indifference ?
 
The lawsuit aint bout repairing the laptop..
Please explain to me one thing ..

If they say as they do, then why havent I received my replacement laptop as yet...

They havent even collected the current one ???

Negligence or indifference ?

Then do tell, what is the lawsuit about?

I have no idea why you haven't received anything, maybe they have it in their system that they're waiting on your current laptop to show up so they can ship out the replacement.
 
Thats really odd.

Ive had my dell laptop (D620) for about 4 years, 10 months now, and my warranty service has been great.

I've had the keyboard replaced twice, the bios flashed once, motherboard replaced once. Yeha.. bios wasnt picking up the fans... they said it was a bios virus, and they had never seen on before, just heard about them. So it was overheating every 12 minutes or so.

But yeah, every time i had it worked on, it only took around 48-72 hours.

Though now its on its last legs. Fan is makin funny noises, and its getting WAYYYYY hot, and it freezes every other time i boot - mid boot. Etc etc. Even google chrome is slow on it hahaha.
 
Wow. Epic failure at letting the tech actually try to fix the problem.
Epic hissy win over a small problem. The 'sperg delivers!

The laptop probably isn't even a lemon. It would have crashed long before anything actually broke or melted or whatever, and there was no mention at all of any instability.

All around fail. TOOT TOOT.

That said, I've had excellent "luck" with dell laptops and support. My i9300 needed a new mobo, and 5 minutes on the phone with "Bob" in Bangalore got me a good tech at my door in 18 hours. My ie1705 was flawless. My GF's alienware M15x had a bad power brick, and some russian sounding chick had the replacement shipped in less than 10 minutes.
 
Don't buy a Dell consumer model unless it's an XPS.
Buy a Dell business model with business support, especially if you're using it for work. Preferrably with Gold support.

Just had a motherboard replaced in my wifes XPS, took less then a week and I'm in a different country then where I purchased it, no issues.

I made this mistake.

I have always been given Dells's latitude business laptops for work, and have had great experiences with them. Very solid machines.

Based on this good history with Dell laptops when it came time to pick up my stepson a home laptop for the holidays I went with a consumer model, the Insiron 15-something. Well, it took about 3 weeks for the power connector to become loose, and for it not to charge properly. i've been watching him too, it's not as if he is rough with the thing...

The moral of this story is that there is a huge qulity gap between Dell's comsumer laptops and their business laptops.

I have a Latitude E4310 right now, and I am very happy with it.
 
Wow. Epic failure at letting the tech actually try to fix the problem.
Epic hissy win over a small problem. The 'sperg delivers!

The laptop probably isn't even a lemon. It would have crashed long before anything actually broke or melted or whatever, and there was no mention at all of any instability.

All around fail. TOOT TOOT.

Right on, and I also bet it actually wasn't getting THAT hot and the OP was just fussing over something that his mind let run wild.
 
Some Dell chargers do run obnoxiously hot, my M1330's power brick is toasty while my 700m brick runs on the cool side.
 
Some Dell chargers do run obnoxiously hot, my M1330's power brick is toasty while my 700m brick runs on the cool side.

Well I dont want to state the obvious (sorry if I sound like a douche...), but all hte Dell M1330s XPS were defective. If anything you need to sue Dell and get your $ back b/c your laptop will have display and wireless problems.

If you want to sue Dell, and live in America, google your states corp search with the string: <state> corp search

Find Dell, and serve the registered agent after filing suit at your local courthouse.
 
so you have the cash to sue a multi million dollar company, but not enough to just get a new laptop?.....


anyhow, on topic, ive had great luck with dell customer service....our old Dell 5150(probably the worst designed laptop ive had), had its power cord go out after the initial 90 day warrenty(didnt get the extra), contacted dell, new one was in the mail next day, and just sent the bad one back.....

anyhow, you should have let the tech do the repair, so you had a bit of ground to stand on....since if it died after he opened it, you would be golden.....


on warranty stickers....ive torn down my 1521 2 or 3 times, never saw a sticker in it, or odd screws.....all of em were standard phillips(one of the smaller sizes, cant remember which)....
 
Yeah, rejecting an on-site tech is akin to scoring against your own team in the World Cup. :p My Studio XPS 1640 (replaced my XPS M1530) has been through a meat-grinder's worth of repairs and replacements and it still gets really warm idling. It also decides to wake me in the night at random with the CPU fan kicking into high gear. :rolleyes: I don't know if the phenomena is exclusive to Dell's consumer line...

But yeah, I've never seen a warranty seal on anything I've bought from Dell. Knock on wood, of course. ;)
 
Last edited:
Well I dont want to state the obvious (sorry if I sound like a douche...), but all hte Dell M1330s XPS were defective. If anything you need to sue Dell and get your $ back b/c your laptop will have display and wireless problems.

If you want to sue Dell, and live in America, google your states corp search with the string: <state> corp search

Find Dell, and serve the registered agent after filing suit at your local courthouse.

That's a bit over the top, I've been using my XPS m1330 daily since 2008 and the majority of that time is spent on a college campus wireless N network. I even do some light gaming on it, i.e. Left 4 dead 2 and bf2142. I only hope my next one lives up to this beauty.
 
^ I never saw raw numbers on the defective nVidia mobile 8-series cards, but the M1330 crept into a good many discussions at NotebookReview for that reason.

:p
 
One thing I've realized from your replies is that I shud not buy a DELL (henceforth) , n I wont.
BUT in INDIA its a real big HIT !!!!:confused:

That's because Dell is supporting their local economy.
Here in the USA, screw dell. They're outsourcing.
 
That's because Dell is supporting their local economy.
Here in the USA, screw dell. They're outsourcing.

If they made them here they'd probably go out of business. Americans demand too high pay for non-professional jobs.

Seriously, if you don't have a college degree you should expect to earn minimum wage...
 
so you have the cash to sue a multi million dollar company, but not enough to just get a new laptop?.....
.

Well it only costs about $15 to sue someone in small claims court.

At least in New York City where I live.Probably b/c everyone is suing everyone all the time :|
 
That's strange. I had to return a faulty laptop to dell and they sent me a replacement right away before I had to return the old one. This was a couple years ago though.
 
Current Dells are poorly constructed. My recent purchase on May was a disappointment. This Vostro overheats like some P4 and makes huge random fan noise. No to mention flimsy build quality. No more Dells.
 
Current Dells are poorly constructed. My recent purchase on May was a disappointment. This Vostro overheats like some P4 and makes huge random fan noise. No to mention flimsy build quality. No more Dells.

As mentioned before I think YMMV on this. I have had a number of Dells business desktops and laptops over the years, and including my brand new Latitude E4310 they have all been solid machines (well, except the old optiplex that had a bad capacitor issue)...

I agree that their consumer models leave something to be desired, but then again, you get what you pay for. When a complete computer comes delivered for ~$300, you have to know they cut corners somewhere to reduce the price.

The business models are more expensive, but also a lot more solid.
 
Back
Top