MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

I'd like to see the day when we discuss PC Games in the PC Games subsection of the forums. There are some out there you know. Or, at least games that try to differentiate themselves on the PC platform.

Crying about a 100% console game that has been ported to the PC to suck up whatever dollars are available is.......getting old.

This is not a PC game people. Get over it. IW has been leading the way towards console the whole time. Almost since the beginning. I'm surprised your all surprised.

69896181.jpg

I love how dedicated servers is this huge deal to people that bash what they dont even know. Seriously, get over it. Most XBL games use P2P and most are VERY good. I have played a ton of Halo 2/3, COD games (2, 3, 4, 5), etc. without dedicated servers and they have progressed to the point of working just as well as dedicated servers IMO. Even with dedicated servers you still get lag, issues, connection problems, etc. I have played plenty of games with dedicated servers and seen it first hand.

You have played all of those games on systems with a unified hardware setup. You know when connecting to a listen server game of Halo 3 on someone's 360 that their system is identical to yours. When you try to make this system work on a PC, you don't know whether the host computer is up to the task or not. And even the faster computers are not going to be able to support larger player matches that PC gamers are fond of.

Lag with listen server matchmaking will be a crapshoot. It'll be a roll of the dice. At least with dedicated servers, you'll get an idea of latency at the server browser, and you'll be able to choose.

And what about the inherent advantage that the host will have against all connected players?

Good P2P matchmaking picks a good host for all players, lag is minimal for all players, and fun commences. The only issue is when a host quits by turning off their console (when quitting most games will auto negotiate to the next best host).

Hope you weren't lining up that perfect headshot when the host quits...because even the best host negotiation will interrupt that.

I can see not having mods as a valid issue, or limited max players, but just bashing it because of high ping is not a good reason anymore as it really is not true.

Again, there's legitimate concerns there. And by the way, limited max players is very much related to what listen servers can handle/latency issues/etc.

You also buy and build your PC to play with better graphics, better controls, customization, etc. That is not lost at all.

I for one don't have a whole lot of confidence that Infinity Ward is going to play up to PC gaming's strengths with CoD MW:2 with this blatant consolization of at least one very important feature of PC multiplayer gaming.

And all these issues will be just for the Americans. The game will be seriously hampered in countries where high-speed internet is still not up to scratch(like mine - Australia - despite gaming companies making millions off us each year with ridiculously high game prices). The matchmaking in games I've played seems to always put me in matches with Americans or Brits, who have fragged me long before they appear on my screen. Instant-downs from a Lancer in Gears of War 2, for example. As for trying to hit anyone, I just have to keep shooting and hope my target doesn't move for ten seconds. I've had my chainsaw revved and standing right next to players for upto seven or eight seconds and I'll still somehow get killed. Oh the sheer beauty of matchmaking...

The gaming website I often cite for my sources of news here interviewed IW a couple of months back when it was revealed CODMW2 wouldn't even have region selection options, and so asked IW what they planned to do for gaming territories with low-speed internet. They couldn't answer the question beyond "it's something we might look into". Most online Australian PC gamers rely very heavily on dedicated servers simply so they can play others in the same area, minimising lag as much as possible. I don't know how CODMW2 and any other games who decide to ditch dedicated servers after this will fare in terrotories outside of America, especially if developers decide to follow Blizzard's lead and cull the other crucial part of PC multiplayer gaming - LAN.

was considering getting this as TF2 is starting to get boring

dont care for the SP, i probably wouldnt even play it, but ya know the multiplayer? the stuff with keys and such that means you pretty much have to buy it anyway, is done soooo wrong there is no point.

Oh it will be great when people start abusing the host for having a shit connection and kicked, oh what vicious cycle that will be, but IW doesn't care at that point, you've already bought the game, probably make you pay for a patch next :p

This isn't stopping me. And while I don't like the change dude has a point. Casual players like me get eaten alive because of cheating. I'm not a big online player any way and buy most games for single player modes.

And my guess is that someone will crack this anyway.

And as far as drooping PC support, sure they could but they make good coin on PC gamers. When game stop coming out for PC's I'll stop gaming and I'll stop buying $5k PC's. Got other things to do anyway and better ways to spend my money.

its their own damn fault for using punkbuster.. its been widely known that punkbuster doesnt give a rats ass about the gaming community.. they freely allow people to hack the PB client.. they also make server admins jump through hoops to get PB streaming running.. then on top of that you have to use 3rd party apps to update the cheat database in punkbuster because they dont update it more then once every 6 months..

as much as they want to blame cheaters its their own god damn fault and now all of us that legitimately play games have to suffer.. this ends up having more to do with them being the lazy ass money hording bastards they are and dont care about anyone else but themselves.. we can pretty much say this is the end of COD as a franchise..

With the PC gaming communities luck, their lack of sales will end up being more justification for developers to produce ported shit rather than create actual PC games. "The revenue doesn't support further development" or some bs like that.

You have played all of those games on systems with a unified hardware setup. You know when connecting to a listen server game of Halo 3 on someone's 360 that their system is identical to yours. When you try to make this system work on a PC, you don't know whether the host computer is up to the task or not. And even the faster computers are not going to be able to support larger player matches that PC gamers are fond of.

Lag with listen server matchmaking will be a crapshoot. It'll be a roll of the dice. At least with dedicated servers, you'll get an idea of latency at the server browser, and you'll be able to choose.

And what about the inherent advantage that the host will have against all connected players?

Hope you weren't lining up that perfect headshot when the host quits...because even the best host negotiation will interrupt that.

Again, there's legitimate concerns there. And by the way, limited max players is very much related to what listen servers can handle/latency issues/etc.

I for one don't have a whole lot of confidence that Infinity Ward is going to play up to PC gaming's strengths with CoD MW:2 with this blatant consolization of at least one very important feature of PC multiplayer gaming.

correct.. odds are this will go the way of Wolfenstein.. and the days of 24 or more player servers is now gone.. most likely they will cap the servers at 18 and even on a standard cable connection 10mbit down 1mbit up you most likely wouldnt be able to handle more then 12-14 players.. on avg you use about 15-20kB/s per player.. and that will peak when the player is connecting to the server to anywhere from 20-40kB/s.. these numbers are purely based off an old game called 4x4 evolution.. which is now almost 10 years old.. so you could actually expect the numbers to be even higher then that..

Sadly true.

Hopefully, IW manages to get their spine back, and get the dedicated servers back into the game.

Havn't seen this one. This is where Bobby Kotick should insert foot in mouth.

Dated: Sept 19, 2009
Activision’s Bobby Kotick hates developers, innovation, cheap games, you
Talking about upcoming and expensive Activision titles such as Modern Warfare 2, Kotick said: “if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further.”

Maybe the choice quotes of the event, though, came when Kotick talked about Activision’s developers; you know, the guys who actually make the stuff he gets so rich from. You’d think he’d have a bit of respect for them, right? Oh no, Kotick’s goal over the past 10 years has been – you couldn’t make this up – “to take all the fun out of making video games.” How? By instilling a culture of “scepticism, pessimism, and fear” amongst the company’s staff based around the economic depression and an incentive program that rewards “profit and nothing else”.

Someone needs to find him and put a mic in front of him right now. I'm sure it will be epic.

i must admit, that games with killcam on make it alot easier to see whose hacking, and in one server that i was in, people were aiming right at me, and other people through walls and firing, like they knew they were there, which they were, because they killed the people.

but on most servers that run PBstream, there's no hackers at all, otherwise they get kicked in a few minutes.

I've forgotten about MW2 and moved on to Borderlands. Initial Borderlands reviews are good. 8 from Eurogamer, 8.8 from IGN (for what it's worth)

I will only buy MW2 if dedicated servers are put back in. Simple as that

If you guys think that because this is going to be on vac2 servers it will keep the cheaters out then you are dead wrong. CSS, TF2 and L4D are all vac2 servers and they all have plenty of cheaters. Everything can be bypassed.

If you guys think that because this is going to be on vac2 servers it will keep the cheaters out then you are dead wrong. CSS, TF2 and L4D are all vac2 servers and they all have plenty of cheaters. Everything can be bypassed.

At least I've never had a problem getting it working unlike punkbuster. I rarely see hackers, like one every few months.

Havn't seen this one. This is where Bobby Kotick should insert foot in mouth.

Dated: Sept 19, 2009
Activision’s Bobby Kotick hates developers, innovation, cheap games, you

Someone needs to find him and put a mic in front of him right now. I'm sure it will be epic.

That guy was probably a bully in grade school. Sounds rotten to the core. I wouldn't support such a person. He even said we wouldn't have the balls to boycott modern warfare 2. They probably knew already that it was going to be a disaster but he wanted the money still. Thats the problem...Greed. The game is gonna suck anyways with no dedicated servers mods/maps.

Very disappointing response from Jason West and Vince Zampella, they really don't get it do they? I'm staggered they have simply abandoned the PC community.

Looks like IWNet is here to stay.

Last edited:

VACs is near on useless. I have seen many cheaters over the last 6 months. The main problem is it takes months for someone to get banned.

If it'll keep the game hack free, I'm all for it. CoD4 is so rife with hackers it's almost unplayable.

Really? What game do you play? I have yet to see a hackers as proliferant as you make them sound. I think you should stop blaming the skill disparity between you and your opponent on a program and just suck it up and get better.:rolleyes:

i must admit, that games with killcam on make it alot easier to see whose hacking, and in one server that i was in, people were aiming right at me, and other people through walls and firing, like they knew they were there, which they were, because they killed the people.

This just in: If you know the map, you know where people hide, or will be.

Oh yeah, bullets go through obstacles.:rolleyes: Stop blaming how bad you are on hackers.

That's the beauty of not paying attention to that stuff and just playing and having fun.

Are you for real? You find beauty in the simplicity of P2P matchmaking but you can't see the wood through the trees?

wasn't buying it anyways as i don't like the single player and not gonna move from mw1 to this for a new plot i couldn't give a shit about and $50 of my money.

killcams are lame.

but on most servers that run PBstream, there's no hackers at all, otherwise they get kicked in a few minutes.

if you get caught on a server running PBstream you are banned from every server that runs it.. which is why you dont see them on those servers.. because they are to scared to get caught.. but PBsteam is the only one that has an updated cheat database.. but even then its only updated about once a month..

This just in: If you know the map, you know where people hide, or will be.

Oh yeah, bullets go through obstacles.:rolleyes: Stop blaming how bad you are on hackers.

ok hacker.. :p lol you asked for it..

yeah thats true.. but most hackers just suck ass at it and are quite obvious..

Sadly. I wish people actually used their brains and realized piracy don't help shit. If the game sold like shit and was pirated very little IW and Activision would have no other excuse then their own faults. However, because some gamers are fucking dipshits they'll pirate the game out of some retarded spite and completely kill any statement they were trying to make.

wrong mate. make a good game and people will buy it. make a shit game and treat customers like dickheads and they will pirate the shit out of it. look at sims 3. sold over 3million in its first week beating MANY console games out this year so far.

That's the beauty of not paying attention to that stuff and just playing and having fun.

Fun for the win! Isn't that what GAMES are about? I don't see the point of taking something that's supposed to be fun and a stress reliever so seriously.

So not only is dedicated server functionality not coming, the only people who want it back are cheaters and people wanting to make money, whereas the real fan will get a much better experience with a matchmaking system than with low-ping dedicated servers.

Stupid IW and Activision ...

Hackers/cheaters has nothing to do with it, company's didn't do "anything" against cheaters and this hurts the non/not cheaters ... Cheaters will always find a way to cheat.

RIP for the CoD PC community but console game sales will be record breaking. IW / Activision know this only too well. I suspect this will be the last CoD game on the PC

I've spread the word to my friends, and now it's up to them if they want to boycott or not.

If it'll keep the game hack free, I'm all for it. CoD4 is so rife with hackers it's almost unplayable.

That's why you play on servers with server admins that police it. For example, I;'m a server admin on (4) Call of Duty servers along a few others. We watch this server constantly and we make ourselves available via xfire while online gaming. So even if I'm not on the server (which is barely ever) someone can contact me and I'll get on and put a stop to it.

About the hacking, I place more blame on PunkBuster than the game. PB is the biggest pile of BS and hasn't really don't much recently.

Back