Must have VR games?

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
I grabbed the HP VR deal for 150 and need some games. Im worried that my PC will run like crap though

i5-4670k @ 4.6
16gb RAM
GTX 780 Reference. This has been upgraded to a gtx 1070 FE... Edit: Has been upgraded to a 1080ti
HP Mixed reality

The game that is making me buy it is beat saber. Im a huge Dance dance revolution fan and it was what made me pull the trigger

Obiviously VR chat. Im thinking about grabbing Pavlov VR as well.

Last edited:
You could give it a go, but you're really going to be pushing just below the edge as to minimum specs when it comes to GPU performance requirements for VR. I'd seriously consider at least a GPU upgrade. A 780 (non Ti) is going to be struggling to maintain the needed frame rates and will probably drop quite a lot of frames which will lead to some less than desirable VR performance (i.e. basically turn your VR experience into a nausea fest). My advice would be to find a used 970 or perhaps even a 980Ti to upgrade to if at all possible.

As to recommended VR games, there have been quite a few threads on this very topic already. Here are a few:

https://hardforum.com/threads/must-have-applications-games-for-vr.1940882/
https://hardforum.com/threads/best-most-worth-it-vr-game-for-rift.1941995/
https://hardforum.com/threads/oculus-rift-owners-thread.1945957/page-3#post-1043341316
https://hardforum.com/threads/oculus-rift-vr-and-touch-400-newegg.1939399/#post-1043103579

Last edited:
Onward, best shooter by far.

If you have a wheel, try one of the racing sims. Project cars 2 if you want a pretty game that's a little less simulation, iRacing if you want a hard core simulator with excellent online racing, assetto corsa for something in between.

Just to reiterate, with a GTX 780 (non Ti), your fear that things might "run like crap" in VR are well founded. There's a reason VR has minimum recommended specs when it comes to hardware. Definitely focus on a GPU upgrade before diving into the suggested VR titles being listed... or you may be severely disappointed, if not outright vomiting. ;-)

Just to reiterate, with a GTX 780 (non Ti), your fear that things might "run like crap" in VR are well founded. There's a reason VR has minimum recommended specs when it comes to hardware. Definitely focus on a GPU upgrade before diving into the suggested VR titles being listed... or you may be severely disappointed, if not outright vomiting. ;-)

I have had great luck with my 970 and Oculus. Yes I can run all current VR games, some at highest setting some at medium settings. I recommend if you have the coin to go up to the 1070 or 1080 models if you can...unless you find a really good deal on the 970 and want to wait till you can afford a faster card.

VR specific games that are cartoony he can probably run ok. Like RecRoom, Job Simulator, Beat Saber... but more “realistic” games will likely be a shit show.

It may not work well out of the box in some games, but many can be tweaked to do so using frame filling tweaks etc. Using the latest windows mr for steam beta, I was able to get a perfectly acceptable experience on my laptop with ryzen apu (2700u). It required dropping the res scale, using fxaa to smooth out the massive jaggies, but it could maintain a solid 30fps (which windows mr can reproject to 90) and no nausea and definitely better than 1080p 2d. If I can get that little thing to run acceptable vr, a 780 (which is roughly equal to a 970) should be much easier as long as it has the necessary hardware features the drivers need.

It may not work well out of the box in some games, but many can be tweaked to do so using frame filling tweaks etc. Using the latest windows mr for steam beta, I was able to get a perfectly acceptable experience on my laptop with ryzen apu (2700u). It required dropping the res scale, using fxaa to smooth out the massive jaggies, but it could maintain a solid 30fps (which windows mr can reproject to 90) and no nausea and definitely better than 1080p 2d. If I can get that little thing to run acceptable vr, a 780 (which is roughly equal to a 970) should be much easier as long as it has the necessary hardware features the drivers need.

Unless it’s a solid 90FPS with no reprojection everyone in my family gets instantly sick AF. So that’s a risky suggestion depending on the individual...

Unless it’s a solid 90FPS with no reprojection everyone in my family gets instantly sick AF. So that’s a risky suggestion depending on the individual...

The windows methods are different than the HTC or Oculus, I notice no stutter when it switches modes unlike Oculus where I do. The motion is still really smooth but it's odd in that the environment is updating at a slower rate - like you can watch a bird fly by but they didn't capture many frames so the animation is at a slower rate, but all head movement is still extremely fluid. It's hard to explain, you'd have to try it. But some people have trouble even with 90fps, so that's a definite good point.

Pavlov is a good buy imo. I like SoundBoxing for its song variety (basically any song that's on youtube) though I haven't tried Beat Saber yet and that is probably better (though last I heard lacking in songs atm). Bigscreen Beta is free and great for watching movies, etc. TheWaveVR if you are at all into DJ'ing/shows (also free). Vorpx can also be great for playing legacy games in VR. And many more...have fun.

Here's a list of my favorite games on Oculus Rift:
  • Gun Club VR
  • Robo Recall
  • Rick and Morty Virtual Rick-ality (only if you're a big RAM fan)
  • Ultrawings
  • Eleven: Table Tennis VR
  • Thumper
  • Chronos
  • I Expect You To Die
  • SuperHot VR
  • Elite Dangerous
  • Beat Saber

IMO, research each of the above to determine if they run well on your system.

If you want to experience an immersive reproduction of reality, then I would suggest Lone Echo and Skyrim
VR. They are among the best simulations of real worlds. But be warned, my 1060 3GB couldn’t handle either of those. 1070 ti handles no problem....but it cost more than the Oculus Rift....and an extra camera...and a game.

The space flying games are also an experience to behold. Haven’t tried a racing game just because I don’t have a steering wheel and feels like it would take away from the immersion.

The Climb is a good experience too. Not much to it, but the scenery is fantastic.

Has anyone here actually tried a GTX 780 with VR? I ask because games like H3, Beat Saber, Elite Dangerous, Ultrawings, Robo Recall...they all ran pretty damn fine on my old GTX 750 2GB non-Ti.

Sure the 780 is far from perfect and what not but I feel like considering how much faster it is than a 750 it's still decent enough for most games at lower settings.

OH! To add to the actual topic be sure to check out the likes of Virtual Desktop or Big Screen (the former is my preferred). Sure it's not a "game" but watching 2D/3D movies or playing normal 2D games on a massive virtual big screen is a blast.

Also you can fool Nvidia's 3D Vision to work on the Oculus too so you can play games on the virtual big screen in 3D as well!

Has anyone here actually tried a GTX 780 with VR? I ask because games like H3, Beat Saber, Elite Dangerous, Ultrawings, Robo Recall...they all ran pretty damn fine on my old GTX 750 2GB non-Ti.

Sure the 780 is far from perfect and what not but I feel like considering how much faster it is than a 750 it's still decent enough for most games at lower settings.

OH! To add to the actual topic be sure to check out the likes of Virtual Desktop or Big Screen (the former is my preferred). Sure it's not a "game" but watching 2D/3D movies or playing normal 2D games on a massive virtual big screen is a blast.

Also you can fool Nvidia's 3D Vision to work on the Oculus too so you can play games on the virtual big screen in 3D as well!
OP I have a Vive and used a 780 for the first 6 months. It played basic games like Gorn fine.

I recommend Arizona Sunshine but for the life of me can’t remember which video card I used.

Best game for Vive IMO.

Honestly, H3VR(Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades) hands-down for me. Every week it's updated with new weapons, toys, systems, etc. and the man behind the game(Anton) is a love-able goofball who just constantly wants to make H3VR better every chance he gets. He's recently updated it with a massive new levels, multiple new enemies, and the possibility of some VERY complex enemies down the pipe-line who will be more versatile and intelligent and can be stabbed, neck-broke, picked up/tossed, whacked, pistol-whipped, etc. So much cool stuff!

Honestly, H3VR(Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades) hands-down for me. Every week it's updated with new weapons, toys, systems, etc. and the man behind the game(Anton) is a love-able goofball who just constantly wants to make H3VR better every chance he gets. He's recently updated it with a massive new levels, multiple new enemies, and the possibility of some VERY complex enemies down the pipe-line who will be more versatile and intelligent and can be stabbed, neck-broke, picked up/tossed, whacked, pistol-whipped, etc. So much cool stuff!

How is the Oculus Touch support these days? Last time I checked it was very poor, the game was designed with Vive controllers (with their touchpads and all) in mind.

Robo Recal was fun for a bit. SuperHot is a blast! I really bought the Rift for Flight and Space sims so those two are the only games, outside of what came with the Rift, that I’ve played so far. Next I’ll buy is probably Lone Echo. Heard good things about that game.

Windlands 2 came out! Windlands really helped me with my fear of heights. I can't wait to play 2 today!

Wrench Game

Hah I like how he jams the engine in the bay with a single hand. Everything is weighless in VR of course, or should I say that gravity sucks worse than I realized.

Did you get a chance to give it a try? I played on an Oculus CV1 (3rd sensor, touch controllers), and I would be interested in how your experience was.

In SteamVR Home, go find the Star Trek shuttle environment. It's just a small transport shuttle interior. Step through (noclip? hah) the shuttle hull to outside, and you can warp around the trippy animated egg shaped room that holds the shuttle. It's just cool looking, that's all.

Another weird thing to do is the main SteamVR environment (summit or something). Go outside and turn to the left. Walk until you can't, turn 180 and click left or right twice turning the view 180, so you can keep walking. Walk and walk and as the hill reaches your chest and head, it feels really weird, the brain reacts to it like you're gonna drown or something ...

DCS Digital Combat Simulator, if you love hardcore flightsims !

It's free with 2 airplanes TF-51 ( civ. P51-D ) and Su25T and Caucasus map, additional maps and modules have to be purchased, if you like it

I still think Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is the best VR game I've ever played. It's a PSVR exclusive, though. It's 1/2 horror shooter, 1/2 roller coaster simulation. It's bizarre, but I love it.
Anyone know of anything similar on the PC?

Other than Arizona Sunshine and Rick and Morty, any standouts on the current Steam Halloween sale?

anyone know of a game that may be a step above what valve did with xortex in "the lab"

love that game but wondering if anything else like it that may be better, ie more weaponms, lasers, graphics etc

Back