Must have VR games?

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by Dan, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Dan

Dan [H]ardness Supreme

I grabbed the HP VR deal for 150 and need some games. Im worried that my PC will run like crap though

i5-4670k @ 4.6
    16gb RAM
    GTX 780 Reference.
    HP Mixed reality

The game that is making me buy it is beat saber. Im a huge Dance dance revolution fan and it was what made me pull the trigger

Obiviously VR chat. Im thinking about grabbing Pavlov VR as well.

2. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 [H]ard|Gawd

You could give it a go, but you're really going to be pushing just below the edge as to minimum specs when it comes to GPU performance requirements for VR. I'd seriously consider at least a GPU upgrade. A 780 (non Ti) is going to be struggling to maintain the needed frame rates and will probably drop quite a lot of frames which will lead to some less than desirable VR performance (i.e. basically turn your VR experience into a nausea fest). My advice would be to find a used 970 or perhaps even a 980Ti to upgrade to if at all possible.

As to recommended VR games, there have been quite a few threads on this very topic already. Here are a few:

https://hardforum.com/threads/must-have-applications-games-for-vr.1940882/
    https://hardforum.com/threads/best-most-worth-it-vr-game-for-rift.1941995/
    https://hardforum.com/threads/oculus-rift-owners-thread.1945957/page-3#post-1043341316
    https://hardforum.com/threads/oculus-rift-vr-and-touch-400-newegg.1939399/#post-1043103579

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  3. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

You want a nvidia 1080. That's the sweet spot.

4. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

Recroom, Beat Saber, Racket NX, BallisticNG.

5. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

Onward, best shooter by far.

If you have a wheel, try one of the racing sims. Project cars 2 if you want a pretty game that's a little less simulation, iRacing if you want a hard core simulator with excellent online racing, assetto corsa for something in between.

6. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 [H]ard|Gawd

Just to reiterate, with a GTX 780 (non Ti), your fear that things might "run like crap" in VR are well founded. There's a reason VR has minimum recommended specs when it comes to hardware. Definitely focus on a GPU upgrade before diving into the suggested VR titles being listed... or you may be severely disappointed, if not outright vomiting. ;-)

7. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

8. Viper16

Viper16 [H]ard|Gawd

I have had great luck with my 970 and Oculus. Yes I can run all current VR games, some at highest setting some at medium settings. I recommend if you have the coin to go up to the 1070 or 1080 models if you can...unless you find a really good deal on the 970 and want to wait till you can afford a faster card.

9. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

VR specific games that are cartoony he can probably run ok. Like RecRoom, Job Simulator, Beat Saber... but more “realistic” games will likely be a shit show.

10. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

It may not work well out of the box in some games, but many can be tweaked to do so using frame filling tweaks etc. Using the latest windows mr for steam beta, I was able to get a perfectly acceptable experience on my laptop with ryzen apu (2700u). It required dropping the res scale, using fxaa to smooth out the massive jaggies, but it could maintain a solid 30fps (which windows mr can reproject to 90) and no nausea and definitely better than 1080p 2d. If I can get that little thing to run acceptable vr, a 780 (which is roughly equal to a 970) should be much easier as long as it has the necessary hardware features the drivers need.

11. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Unless it’s a solid 90FPS with no reprojection everyone in my family gets instantly sick AF. So that’s a risky suggestion depending on the individual...

12. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

The windows methods are different than the HTC or Oculus, I notice no stutter when it switches modes unlike Oculus where I do. The motion is still really smooth but it's odd in that the environment is updating at a slower rate - like you can watch a bird fly by but they didn't capture many frames so the animation is at a slower rate, but all head movement is still extremely fluid. It's hard to explain, you'd have to try it. But some people have trouble even with 90fps, so that's a definite good point.

13. t1k

t1k n00bie

Pavlov is a good buy imo. I like SoundBoxing for its song variety (basically any song that's on youtube) though I haven't tried Beat Saber yet and that is probably better (though last I heard lacking in songs atm). Bigscreen Beta is free and great for watching movies, etc. TheWaveVR if you are at all into DJ'ing/shows (also free). Vorpx can also be great for playing legacy games in VR. And many more...have fun.

14. IRSmurf

IRSmurf 2[H]4U

Here's a list of my favorite games on Oculus Rift:
    • Gun Club VR
    • Robo Recall
    • Rick and Morty Virtual Rick-ality (only if you're a big RAM fan)
    • Ultrawings
    • Eleven: Table Tennis VR
    • Thumper
    • Chronos
    • I Expect You To Die
    • SuperHot VR
    • Elite Dangerous
    • Beat Saber

IMO, research each of the above to determine if they run well on your system.

Adidas4275 likes this.
  15. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

If you want to experience an immersive reproduction of reality, then I would suggest Lone Echo and Skyrim
    VR. They are among the best simulations of real worlds. But be warned, my 1060 3GB couldn’t handle either of those. 1070 ti handles no problem....but it cost more than the Oculus Rift....and an extra camera...and a game.

The space flying games are also an experience to behold. Haven’t tried a racing game just because I don’t have a steering wheel and feels like it would take away from the immersion.

The Climb is a good experience too. Not much to it, but the scenery is fantastic.

16. Mut1ny

Mut1ny [H]ard|Gawd

Has anyone here actually tried a GTX 780 with VR? I ask because games like H3, Beat Saber, Elite Dangerous, Ultrawings, Robo Recall...they all ran pretty damn fine on my old GTX 750 2GB non-Ti.

Sure the 780 is far from perfect and what not but I feel like considering how much faster it is than a 750 it's still decent enough for most games at lower settings.

OH! To add to the actual topic be sure to check out the likes of Virtual Desktop or Big Screen (the former is my preferred). Sure it's not a "game" but watching 2D/3D movies or playing normal 2D games on a massive virtual big screen is a blast.

Also you can fool Nvidia's 3D Vision to work on the Oculus too so you can play games on the virtual big screen in 3D as well!

17. Cylocybin

Cylocybin n00bie

will 1070 handle skyrim vr

18. cthulhuiscool

cthulhuiscool 2[H]4U

Yes, but it seems pretty unoptimized. Slow drip mods you install since some seem to absolutely murder the framrate in vr.

19. Dan

Dan [H]ardness Supreme

I have a reference 780 and I play beat saber, onward and the lab with no issues. Im not even going to try the more demanding games until i get a new gpu

Adidas4275 likes this.
Tags: