Multi-Function Printer that can do 11x17 i.e. A3? Engineering needs.

kittmaster

Limp Gawd
Did some looking around on amazon and other google areas. I do a lot of engineering CAD like schematics and such......so one of the requirements would be an 11x17 output.

The main reason is for my mobile devices like wife's iPad / iPhone .... airprint interfacing.

I like the idea of 50+ plus page scan feeding.

My main thoughts are to stick with COLOR laserjet......but not sure if that is still the right answer or not.

I know inkjets have come a long way, but is there an a better recommendation? I'm still running an HP laserjet 1200 which is the reason for the needed upgrade.

I tried a latronix airprint device, but that was a bust with the 1200.....so time to move forward.

I would "like" to stay within a budge of $500 to $900 ish??

Anyone have a recommendation that you've worked with that may meet these requirements?

I can be flexible.....but no way I'm spending $2K on one of the office giant versions.....just no room physically etc.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Chris

Heatware: kittmaster

Rats, up until the size restriction, I was going to try and recommend one of HPs massive Ledger Size (11x17) laser printers. AFAIK, Brother does Ledger Size, but only in InkJet form.

Rats, up until the size restriction, I was going to try and recommend one of HPs massive Ledger Size (11x17) laser printers. AFAIK, Brother does Ledger Size, but only in InkJet form.

Yeah, that is the part I'm struggling with, trying to print a schematic on 8.5x11 is hard to read vs an 11x17. The big office machines can do it.....but this is for my hobby/home use/wife thing....so she's not on board with a 3K machine....

It comes down to the question.....is an inkjet a good alternative to print this type of stuff? I know the inks are what get you in the end....but laserjets don't seem to clog up.....been a while.....not sure how good these things are these days...(yes I'm old....LOL)

Chris

hp has several laser but they are all $1200 and up. inkjets are ok but you have to use them often to keep the heads from drying up, still. you can get one of those for $250 and up.

Make a decision yet? If your print volume is low then an ink jet would be an OK choice.

Personally I have not had a problem with ink drying out on recent printers. Last model I had with that problem I bought in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Make a decision yet? If your print volume is low then an ink jet would be an OK choice.

Personally I have not had a problem with ink drying out on recent printers. Last model I had with that problem I bought in the late 90s/early 2000s.

I am still in the process of looking, I may just have to ditch the idea of 11x17 and suck it up, the primary purchase is for my wife's iPad to print, the 11x17 was an adder she was ok with...but I told her it was around 4-600 for a printer, I don't think she'll be pleased with a $1500 printer...we have much higher priorities that that.....We do a lot of camping and we have big ticket items in the queue, a printer isn't one......LOL.

I will have a hard look at the inkjets....just as you mentioned, the older printers dried up in the 90/00s, I'm guessing newer ones have solved the problem.

Best,
Chris

I'm guessing newer ones have solved the problem.
nope. you still need to print a few things a week or they will still dry up. and now that a bunch have changed to tank systems the heads arent removable to clean them manually.

I've had a cannon and hp inkjets that would sit for several months with no use and they printed fine. Always used legit cartridges (no refills or counterfeit ones from amazon) and never had any problems.

But I ditched all 3 of those printers because the cost of cartridges increased disproportionately after the printer models were out of production for a couple years.

And my kids were at the age where they were printing out things for school. They wouldn't print something once-- it usually took 7 to eight times to get it right.

If there was one best print method, there wouldn't be all these choices.

11x17 is tough for a home environment. If this isn't work-related, I'd have a hard time justifying the cost. If the drawings are important, I'd take them to a local shop and have them printed out as Arch C and really be able to read them! You can have a shop make a lot of prints for $500, and none of the headaches! If they're not that important, I'd just use letter and a magnifying glass. If they're work-related, I'd make an arrangement with work.

For most odd printing needs, I've found it's far more cost-effective to let someone else own the equipment and just rent it for a while. The only ones I really have seen in that size range are pro photo inkjets that won't do anything else, and I'd hate to use that for this implementation.

The printer isn't for the use for work at all, I'm an electrical engineer and I have the tool chains to do my own personal PCBs and schematics and I also dabble in contract work for those that pay for it. The 11x17 helps with following signal flow and error correction. I have found more errors on 11x17's than on screen because most EEs get "screen face" and fatigue......where looking at a proper hard copy can help in signal tracing and flow.

Maybe I'm just an old fart.....but 11x17 has been a real PITA to sort out for home use. The problem of having someone else do it.....especially in Covid times......means I'd have to interact with outside people......and for the most part....with my 95 year old MIL living we me and wife.....creates an issue.

I appreciate the feedback though.

:)

I understand all that, it makes sense. I was buried in drawings for a decade in a previous life, and lucky enough that every plant had a laser plotter. I always checked my work on a physical hard copy, it's amazing how many errors I'd miss in CAD. I wouldn't want less than 11x17, but as you've found at home it's just a tough row to hoe. I hope you can find a solution!

Back