MSI P6N SLI-FI / Platinum (650i) Thread

Hey Spanki,

I'm having a bit of a FSB issue here, I" having problems getting past 8 x 460 with my Fi board, do you happen to know if there is a new beta bios out that also supports the new G0 stepping CPU's? I can't get into MSI's FTP site anymore for some reason............:confused:

D'oh! Looks like they changed the login again... I'll dig around a bit and see if I can find the new login.

EDIT: So far, I haven't found a new one. They must have just changed it yesterday/today. I just checked there yesterday and didn't see any new BIOSes though.

Whats everyones thoughts on the P6N Diamond? I'm wanting to build a new computer and want to go the Intel route this time. Is it worth the bread or should I just look somewhere else? I've read that alot of people have had problems with the CPU and NB getting fans to fit and that there is a real problem with the BIOS and MSI's included software.

I just don't want to buy junk.

Whats everyones thoughts on the P6N Diamond? I'm wanting to build a new computer and want to go the Intel route this time. Is it worth the bread or should I just look somewhere else? I've read that alot of people have had problems with the CPU and NB getting fans to fit and that there is a real problem with the BIOS and MSI's included software.

I just don't want to buy junk.

There's no real reason to get the Diamond unless you like the idea of having onboard Creative X-Fi Audio instead of the Realtek softaudio that comes with the other P6N series boards. Nothing wrong with that at all, the Diamond is an awesome board. But performance wise you will get the same if you just get the Platinum, or even the FI board.

I finally got around to flashing my Platinum with the 1.3 BIOS that was released last month. At the time (in this thread) I had pondered the question of wether this BIOS was more recent and more updated than the previous 1.3x beta releases (1.31, 1.32, 1.33, 1.34) but no one really knew for sure.

After flashing the 1.3 BIOS to my Platinum I can definately say that it's newer than the previous betas. The date stamp on the POST screen is newer than the 1.34 beta and there have been a few changes and re-arranged options in the BIOS. Also the BIOS now adds a message at boot time prompting you to press F11 to access the "BBS" (Boot selection menu). The on-the-fly boot device selection menu isn't new - it's been there since the shipping BIOS, but the actual prompt to press F11 is definately new. Before now it's been kind of a 'secret' feature. :p

Here's hoping the 1.3 BIOS will run my new Q6600 G0 when it gets here! :)

@Blue Falcon: Is there any change in 1.3 BIOS in area of voltages (Vcore)? Is it possible to undervolt now? Thanks!

I wouldn't think so, it's not on the Fi board and the 2 boards are basicly the same (the Platinum bios works on the Fi) and that option isn't there on mine............:D

@Blue Falcon: Is there any change in 1.3 BIOS in area of voltages (Vcore)? Is it possible to undervolt now? Thanks!

Nope, no options for undervolting.

You know I'm sure it's physically possible with this board, but MSI is too lazy to write it into the BIOS. :p

I'm putting a Q6600 / Platinum rig together on Friday (not sure if I have G0 yet but if I do, I'll let you guys know if it works or not). It's bugging me that snagging a G0 might cause problems so I asked MSI if the 1.3 bios added the new CPUID. I couldn't get a straight answer out of online or phone support (Q6600's supported in the CPU support page / it "should" work). It's frustrating that anyone can check for Asus boards, but MSI's support can't pull up their own board's CPUIDs :confused:

On a brighter note, the e6750 uses 06FB like the Q6600, right? Bio-Hazard's got the e6750 working on the FI, so maybe there's nothing to worry about. :D

Well I've decided I am going to go with the platinum and just add my own sound card later. I'm pairing it up with a E6850. Should be a good setup I hope. The specs of the new rig are in my sig.

I'm putting a Q6600 / Platinum rig together on Friday (not sure if I have G0 yet but if I do, I'll let you guys know if it works or not). It's bugging me that snagging a G0 might cause problems so I asked MSI if the 1.3 bios added the new CPUID. I couldn't get a straight answer out of online or phone support (Q6600's supported in the CPU support page / it "should" work). It's frustrating that anyone can check for Asus boards, but MSI's support can't pull up their own board's CPUIDs :confused:

On a brighter note, the e6750 uses 06FB like the Q6600, right? Bio-Hazard's got the e6750 working on the FI, so maybe there's nothing to worry about. :D

I've already checked - it's not there...

bios13_cpuids.jpg

Whether this means the system won't boot at all, or just won't get you the (potentially) lower voltage settings or runs fine and dandy, I don't know.

I just built a new PC this past week on a P6N Platinum with an e6750. The P6N detected my e6750 right away and was able to set it to the default fsb 1333 automatically.

To my surprise the board came preloaded with BIOS version 1.2 even. I updated to BIOS 1.3 the other and had similar success with it detecting my CPU.

Yeah, the new C2Ds (which are also G0 stepping) seem to be working fine, but so far, we haven't heard from anyone with a G0 stepping quad.

Hi I've a problem, this is my PC:
MSI P6N-SLI (bios v2.0)
E4300 1.8ghz (stock)
2x 1gb OCZ PLATINUM REV.2 800MHZ 4-4-4-15 2T 2.1V
POWERCOOLER 500W (Same producer than Topower, Tagan, OCZ)
WD 250GB 16MB SATA2

Problem:
First I've another MSi p6n sli-fi, with the same configuration, but when I shutdown the PC, It's don't do it correctly, cuts video signal, but The cooler of the processor and another attached to the board, and 2 more directly conected to the PSU and the cooler from the PSU, they don't stop when I shutdown, they continue spinning. Some days later continue using the board, suddenly won't booy anymore. So I send to RMA.

Now with the new one MSI p6n sli-fi, and same configuration, it's goes wheel for 2 weeks, yesterday. Now it don't turn off, again the same thing than with the old one, when I shutdown, the coolers stays on. Now I don't know what to do, because if I continue using, it could fails again as the old P6n sli-fi.

If someone, have pass with this with same mother, i will be happy to now the solution.

REALLY THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS!!!

Hi Spanki, now I have 2x1gb OCZ, news with my p6n sli-fi
The model are:
OCZ2P800R21G at 800MHz DDR2 CL 4-4-4-15 2.1v
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2
The maximum OC stable was ddr2 950mhz 5-4-4-16 @ 2.25v, on Memset was 5-4-4-16-2T 20-40-6-8-6-7.8us
Tested with:
SuperPi 32M
Orthos
3dMark06
3dMark01Se
Everest, all the benchmarks
PerformanceTest 6.1
ScienceMark 2
Aquamark3
FEAR Performance Test
World in Conflict Benchmark
Sandra Lite XI

If I tried more than 950, for example 951, i've to do cmos clear, even at 2.45v, so the maximum stable, I think limited by the chipset, because I seen reviews from this same memories doing ddr2 1050 with p965, was the ddr2 950 tested 100% STABLE, on all that tests

Bye

Hey guys I could use some help. I have my system almost stable...prime95 ran for over 8 hours fine but internet explorer and world of warcraft are sometimes crashing. All my other games are running fine and I know its because of my oc because setting it back to stock makes everything run perfect. This is my setup:

oh yeah im running vista ultimate 64 bit

Q6600/msi platinum/corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO

FSB: 1332
Mem: 666
Mult: 9
CPUV: 0.0375
MEMV: 1.85
NB: 1.3
SB: 1.60
FSB: 4%

Setting my mem voltage any higher than 1.85 makes the system go unstable. It will pass prime95 tests but when i'm doing other things it BSODs. Whenever WOW crashes it gives a memory error so i'm assuming I should bump my NB voltage some more?

so i was finally able to update the bios...and i could actually push past 3GHz this time. but my room is hot, so i idle at like 48C when i overclock...so i just set it back to stock. in fact i decreased mem speed as well to 533. why? because i can have 3-3-3-4 timings ;). wasn't there a test where lower speed memory with great timings is almost as good as higher speed with very loose timings? i tried a couple games and didn't notice a difference at all really.

Hi Spanki, now I have 2x1gb OCZ, news with my p6n sli-fi
The model are:
OCZ2P800R21G at 800MHz DDR2 CL 4-4-4-15 2.1v
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2
The maximum OC stable was ddr2 950mhz 5-4-4-16 @ 2.25v, on Memset was 5-4-4-16-2T 20-40-6-8-6-7.8us
Tested with:
SuperPi 32M
Orthos
3dMark06
3dMark01Se
Everest, all the benchmarks
PerformanceTest 6.1
ScienceMark 2
Aquamark3
FEAR Performance Test
World in Conflict Benchmark
Sandra Lite XI

If I tried more than 950, for example 951, i've to do cmos clear, even at 2.45v, so the maximum stable, I think limited by the chipset, because I seen reviews from this same memories doing ddr2 1050 with p965, was the ddr2 950 tested 100% STABLE, on all that tests

Bye

No 2 sets of ram perform the same when OC'ing (just like CPU's). You may have just come to the limit of your set of memory, happens sometimes.............:eek:

I can run my Dominator at DDR21000 all day long at 4-3-3-3-18 timings, so it's not a chipset limit, at least on my system it isn't............:D

Hey guys I could use some help. I have my system almost stable...prime95 ran for over 8 hours fine but internet explorer and world of warcraft are sometimes crashing. All my other games are running fine and I know its because of my oc because setting it back to stock makes everything run perfect. This is my setup:

oh yeah im running vista ultimate 64 bit

Q6600/msi platinum/corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO

FSB: 1332
Mem: 666
Mult: 9
CPUV: 0.0375
MEMV: 1.85
NB: 1.3
SB: 1.60
FSB: 4%

Setting my mem voltage any higher than 1.85 makes the system go unstable. It will pass prime95 tests but when i'm doing other things it BSODs. Whenever WOW crashes it gives a memory error so i'm assuming I should bump my NB voltage some more?
At 1333 FSB I'd try setting your SB and FSB voltgae to defaults, you shouldn't need to inscease them, sometimes to much voltage is just as bad as not enough. On my system I don't need to increase the NB voltage at that FSB either, at 1333 FSB I can run all default voltages (E4300 and E6750) and with the E6750 I can run everything at defaults except for the NB, it has to be bumped to 1.325 at 1600.

No 2 sets of ram perform the same when OC'ing (just like CPU's). You may have just come to the limit of your set of memory, happens sometimes.............:eek:

I can run my Dominator at DDR21000 all day long at 4-3-3-3-18 timings, so it's not a chipset limit, at least on my system it isn't............:D

:eek: :eek:
Its good speed, me I cant pass more than 950mhz, for any reason, even at 5-5-5 or 5-6-6, 2.4v, 2.45v
:mad:

And I readed the problem of Zerathul, Its wire, someone have pass for the same problem? :confused:

Goddammit, I just updated to 1.3 yesterday. LOL

Oh well, here's out Q6600 G0 support! :D

Nice catch - beat me to it again! :).

Interestingly though, they still don't list the CPUID for the G0 stepping Q6600... it looks like they just 'removed' one ID...

BIOS 1.3 (Platinum)

bios13_cpuids.jpg

BIOS 1.4 (Platinum)

bios14_cpuids.jpg

..the CPU ID we want is 06FB. Looks like all they did was remove 0F41, but didn't add any new ones (I checked the FI BIOS as well.. same thing).

Just for yuks, I downloaded the newest P6N Diamond 1.2 BIOS...

dmd12_cpuids.jpg

...have a look at the bottom... 06FB (as well as 06FD <-- maybe that's for the new 1333 FSB cpus? I wish I could find a list of IDs somewhere).

They did something to the FI version, I was still getting the unsupported CPU error message with my new 6750 with the old bios, it seems to be gone now with this new version.

They did something to the FI version, I was still getting the unsupported CPU error message with my new 6750 with the old bios, it seems to be gone now with this new version.

Interesting... I wonder if the microcode patch list I'm showing above is not the whole story.

My oc is gone with the update and now i cannot manually adjust any cpu, fsb, power settings at all. wtf?

My oc is gone with the update and now i cannot manually adjust any cpu, fsb, power settings at all. wtf?

Clear the CMOS memory and re-enter all your settings. This is a classic sign of what can happen when you don't clear the CMOS battery backed memory after flashing with a new BIOS.

In the future be sure to at least use the /C command line parameter when updating your BIOS, this will automatically clear the CMOS ram when flashing.

I usually flash like this:

afud408.exe a7350nms.140 /P /B /N /C /E /K

That command will update all portions of the BIOS.

Use arrow/cursor keys to select, then use pageup/pagedown to adjust.

That's not working?

yup. it stays white and I cannot adjust at all. rma? it would be easy enough to take to the store and get another or the 680.

yup. it stays white and I cannot adjust at all. rma? it would be easy enough to take to the store and get another or the 680.

Try re-flashing the BIOS using the command line options I gave you in my post above.

I've seen this exact same thing happen on the P6N boards when the CMOS memory wasn't cleared after BIOS flashing, and even though you've said you tried clearing it I bet that's whats happening here.

Also when you clear the CMOS using the jumper or button on the motherboard you need to first:

1. unplug the AC power from your power supply.
2. press the power button on your case (or jumper the power button on the board itself) several times to ensure all remaining power has been discharged from the board and PSU.

Then move the jumper to the clear CMOS position for at least 10 seconds or push the clear CMOS button (if your board has one) for at least 10 seconds.

thanks. I will try the command line. Ty for writing all the other cmos points out but I am not a noob lol. Still, thanks. We'll see in a minute.

thanks. I will try the command line. Ty for writing all the other cmos points out but I am not a noob lol. Still, thanks. We'll see in a minute.

I apologize if I came off as condescending or something, that wasn't my intention at all. These are mistakes I myself have made as well as many others and I was just trying to be thorough in my solution.

Perhaps you've got a defective board.

Perhaps someone else here will be able to assist you without offending your sense of pride. :(

Good luck anyway :)

I apologize if I came off as condescending or something, that wasn't my intention at all. These are mistakes I myself have made as well as many others and I was just trying to be thorough in my solution.

Perhaps you've got a defective board.

Perhaps someone else here will be able to assist you without offending your sense of pride. :(

Good luck anyway :)

oh no offense taken at all lol. I was complimenting you. Just saying I know the basics is all.

I ended up with a B3 Q6600 so I can't test it. I'm not too disappointed though--at least I know it'll work :D I'm still curious how a G0 will react (especially if my Q6600 is DOA and I get a G0 replacement) so good luck to anybody who gets one.

Wich BIOS did you thinks its better for the sli-fi ?
I using the 2.12, and goes wheel, did the next bios are better?

I have to use bios version 2.2 or 2.3, I have the new G0 stepping CPU. Both versions seem to perform and clock the same.

no joy. something is wrong. guess I'll get something else then.
A bios flash can go bad, for what reason, it's hard to say. Over on the MSI forums they have a few ways listed to try and recover from a bad flash, not sure if the P6N boards are covered, but it's worth a lookie see..........:D

Back